Forum Settings
Forums

What anime do you refuse to watch since you have already read the source material?

New
Apr 16, 4:34 AM

Nov 2019
When Demon Slayer was still airing in 2019 with just 11 episodes, I recall watching it on Kissanime and dropping it at the first episode.

In 2020, a year later, I made the decision to watch it again since one of my schoolmates was gushing about how amazing episode 19 was. So I decided to give it a try again, but I only managed to stick with it for six episodes before giving up on it once more.

I finished the manga in 2021, and while I did enjoy it to some extent, I decided to never bother touching the anime adaptation again and never will.

Yes, I know it's one of those highly regarded shows with gorgeous animation and intense fight scenes, but I found it boring, slow and uninteresting at times.

What shows are like that for you?
Apr 16, 4:51 AM

May 2019
I refuse to watch the usagi drop anime because it didn't adapt the ending of the manga.
Apr 16, 5:09 AM

Jul 2016
I usually don't touch any adaptation of something I already got to read because most of the time I think it's too soon to revisit that story. For instance I only watched Fate Zero this year because it's been 8 years since I last read the novels, so I thought it was a good opportunity to check such a acclaimed adaptation and revisit that story.
Now, there are plenty of adaptations that I refuse to watch just because they don't seem to do justice to the original work:
Blame and Knights of Sidonia: CGI crap. Blame artwork is half of the a appeal of the manga, so I would rather stay with the original work.
Dorohedoro: Same as Blame.
Golden Kamuy: Terribly paced adaptation, and there's nothing worse than a terribly paced adventure.
Chainsaw Man: Anime felt way too cinematic and pretentious compared to the dorky and stupid feel of the manga. Also Fujimoto artwork and expressiveness is something else.
Apr 16, 5:16 AM
Mar 2017
Reply to tchitchouan
I refuse to watch the usagi drop anime because it didn't adapt the ending of the manga.
@tchitchouan can you tell me about the ending. ?
Apr 16, 5:21 AM

May 2019
Reply to Yonahim_Zz
@tchitchouan can you tell me about the ending. ?
@Yonahim_Zz after a time skip the girl grows up and starts developing feelings for her paternal figure in a very incestuous way, at first he was apprehensive about it and then just goes with it.
Apr 16, 5:55 AM
Mar 2017
Reply to tchitchouan
@Yonahim_Zz after a time skip the girl grows up and starts developing feelings for her paternal figure in a very incestuous way, at first he was apprehensive about it and then just goes with it.
@tchitchouan wow … didn’t expect that
Do you know what chapter to start from after the anime ?
Apr 16, 6:21 AM

May 2019
Reply to Yonahim_Zz
@tchitchouan wow … didn’t expect that
Do you know what chapter to start from after the anime ?
@Yonahim_Zz Yes, start from volume 8 and then 9. or simply just go to chapter 25.
tchitchouanApr 16, 6:28 AM
Apr 16, 6:36 AM
Walpurgis

May 2023
Umineko - if you're aware of this series, I'm sure I don't need to elaborate why
Apr 16, 7:43 AM
Mar 2017
Reply to tchitchouan
@Yonahim_Zz Yes, start from volume 8 and then 9. or simply just go to chapter 25.
@tchitchouan thanks a lot (*´꒳`*)
Apr 16, 7:49 AM

Aug 2020
I refused watching Ashita no Joe for 3 years, then I decided to pick it to see how it was and it was worth it. Might do this with Slam Dunk soon.

Apr 16, 8:19 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to -Shurit-
I usually don't touch any adaptation of something I already got to read because most of the time I think it's too soon to revisit that story. For instance I only watched Fate Zero this year because it's been 8 years since I last read the novels, so I thought it was a good opportunity to check such a acclaimed adaptation and revisit that story.
Now, there are plenty of adaptations that I refuse to watch just because they don't seem to do justice to the original work:
Blame and Knights of Sidonia: CGI crap. Blame artwork is half of the a appeal of the manga, so I would rather stay with the original work.
Dorohedoro: Same as Blame.
Golden Kamuy: Terribly paced adaptation, and there's nothing worse than a terribly paced adventure.
Chainsaw Man: Anime felt way too cinematic and pretentious compared to the dorky and stupid feel of the manga. Also Fujimoto artwork and expressiveness is something else.
@-Shurit- I'd like to ask if the FateZero light novel delved deeper into the ins and outs of holy grail, servants, explained why Kirei was corrupted by holy grail, and angraa manyu. I notice Gil used his EA during the fight against Iskandar's reality marble, but why didn't he use it against Shirou Emiya in UBW? And I rewatched it once and wondered, Did Ufotable really fully adopt the light novel or did they leave a lot of details? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Apr 16, 8:29 AM

Feb 2016
Any source material I dislike such as Collar x Malice.
その目だれの目?
Apr 16, 8:36 AM

Jan 2014
Promised Neverland, I heard they butcher the 2nd season of that. Glad I didn't start to watch that. Though aside from knowing the source material, I just don't like to see what happen to sweet little Conny again.

PROFILE | ANIMELIST | MANGALIST | 𝓵𝓸𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓰𝓪𝓰𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓰

Apr 16, 9:01 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to Lucifrost
Any source material I dislike such as Collar x Malice.
@Lucifrost I heard a lot of talk about this one in otomegames, and it's been on my backlog since then. May I know why you dislike it?
Apr 16, 9:25 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to velveteenvamp
Umineko - if you're aware of this series, I'm sure I don't need to elaborate why
@velveteenvamp Umineko VN has been sitting on my hard drive for a while now. I heard a lot of good things about this, and it's highly regarded in the vn community, but I also heard negative comments like Umeniko's pacing is pretty slow and you should read the manga for a better ending, which is a problem with longer vns. I did read the Muv Luv trilogy, and oh my god, the information dumps and excessive text are just too much, and it takes a while to get to the good part. That's why I'm hesitating to read Umineko, which has a 150-ish hour length. 
Apr 16, 11:48 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Kushna
@Lucifrost I heard a lot of talk about this one in otomegames, and it's been on my backlog since then. May I know why you dislike it?
@Kushna
Sorry, it's been years since I played it. I only remember that Shiraishi has the 1 good route.
その目だれの目?
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Kushna
@velveteenvamp Umineko VN has been sitting on my hard drive for a while now. I heard a lot of good things about this, and it's highly regarded in the vn community, but I also heard negative comments like Umeniko's pacing is pretty slow and you should read the manga for a better ending, which is a problem with longer vns. I did read the Muv Luv trilogy, and oh my god, the information dumps and excessive text are just too much, and it takes a while to get to the good part. That's why I'm hesitating to read Umineko, which has a 150-ish hour length. 
@Kushna
I prefer to think of Umineko (and Higurashi) as a series of 8 shorter stories, rather than a single freakishly long story.
その目だれの目?
Apr 16, 1:01 PM

Jul 2016
Reply to Kushna
@-Shurit- I'd like to ask if the FateZero light novel delved deeper into the ins and outs of holy grail, servants, explained why Kirei was corrupted by holy grail, and angraa manyu. I notice Gil used his EA during the fight against Iskandar's reality marble, but why didn't he use it against Shirou Emiya in UBW? And I rewatched it once and wondered, Did Ufotable really fully adopt the light novel or did they leave a lot of details? Correct me if I'm wrong.
@Kushna
I'm not really sure since it's been so long since I last read it, still I don't think the novels go any futher on what was displayed on the show. I flipped through some volumes to compare certain scenes and, yes, they explain a bit more certain situation, but I believe the anime did a great job not letting any important exposition out.
While watching the show, at times I felt like some details were being left out, then I remembered most of them are explained through FSN VN, like Saber not being able to go into spirit form like other servants and the nature of the Holy Grail.

Kushna said:
I notice Gil used his EA during the fight against Iskandar's reality marble, but why didn't he use it against Shirou Emiya in UBW?

Gilgamesh is such an arrogant mf he refuses to waste his weapons on enemies he consider to be unworthy, like when Tokiomi asks for him to deal with Caster gigantic monster and he refuses to throw more than 4 or 5 swords against It. He probably woudn't waste his greatest treasure on a mere human.
Apr 16, 2:20 PM

Sep 2019
Any adaption of a Satoshi Mizukami manga, watched one episode of Hoshi no Samidare and was like "nah this ain't it".
Apr 16, 2:49 PM

Jan 2022
Naruto and its upcoming remake. That's the only thing that comes to mind.
Apr 17, 2:32 AM

Aug 2010
Mirai Nikki - I find the manga to be one of the worst manga I've read.

Orange - I loved it when the manga first released and I read it when it was ongoing until it ended which feels kinda open ended but I can intrepret it in a way I like. Few years later it seems like they added new chapters and seems like the anime also lean towards a possibility for an ending I don't want - I'm not even sure but I don't want to ruin my experience with it so I just refuse to watch it or even read the extra manga volumes.
Apr 17, 2:43 AM

Jul 2021
None, I think... I like being able to compare the difference between the manga and anime!
Apr 17, 3:51 AM

Jul 2015
Deadman Wonderland

The manga was good, but I refuse to watch the anime because it's impossible to properly adapt the story in just 12 episodes. I'm 100% certain that the anime is worse than the manga, which is also "confirmed" by everyone I know who has watched it.

I've only watched "The Red Knife Wielder" OVA out of curiosity, but I can't recall much from it.
Apr 17, 4:47 AM

Jan 2019
Gotoubun, Bokuben, Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet, I don't think they all fit well in anime adaptation, maybe because I felt it would dumb down the art to make it animated.
Apr 17, 4:50 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
There's a few mangas that at least has an adaption on it's way and I know I'm not gonna watch them since the manga is not that good in my opinion.
It's not like I'd refuse but can't see the point in wasting time on a mediocre manga adaption. One perfect example would be for the upcoming 2.5 Dimensional Seduction
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Apr 17, 8:50 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Shirayukin
Mirai Nikki - I find the manga to be one of the worst manga I've read.

Orange - I loved it when the manga first released and I read it when it was ongoing until it ended which feels kinda open ended but I can intrepret it in a way I like. Few years later it seems like they added new chapters and seems like the anime also lean towards a possibility for an ending I don't want - I'm not even sure but I don't want to ruin my experience with it so I just refuse to watch it or even read the extra manga volumes.
@Shirayukin
Orange TV series ends the same way as the manga you read.
The "Future" movie adapts a part of the manga you did not read.
その目だれの目?
Apr 17, 10:31 AM

Aug 2010
Reply to Lucifrost
@Shirayukin
Orange TV series ends the same way as the manga you read.
The "Future" movie adapts a part of the manga you did not read.
@Lucifrost I don't think I'm motivated to watch it either by now, but that's good to know - I guess it's just the movies I am refusing to watch lol.

More topics from this board

» So, what's the oldest anime you've ever watched?

Gashadokur0 - Yesterday

46 by CareBear »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you have a prejudice against people who watch ecchi/hentai? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 9

76 by Zamus_Edits »»
8 minutes ago

» Your biggest why …? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - May 12

84 by district_marvel »»
12 minutes ago

» When did anime become mainstream? Or do you think it's still not mainstream???

LenRea - May 13

36 by ColourWheel »»
20 minutes ago

» Score Inflation

Lucifrost - Yesterday

16 by Zarutaku »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.