Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 18, 7:20 AM

Jul 2015
ColourWheel said:
If All Anime suddenly 1st got dubbed in English before any Japanese voice actors got to touch anything released, I doubt many people would be playing the "original language" card very long. lol

Arcane had way better English dub that Japanese dub. Exactly because it was original.

Apr 18, 7:44 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to Piromysl
ColourWheel said:
If All Anime suddenly 1st got dubbed in English before any Japanese voice actors got to touch anything released, I doubt many people would be playing the "original language" card very long. lol

Arcane had way better English dub that Japanese dub. Exactly because it was original.
@Piromysl You sure it wasn't because of poor Japanese casting? What if the English casting was ass and the Japanese fit better? Kinda throws off the whole "original being better because it's the original" narrative, huh?
Apr 18, 7:48 AM

Jul 2015
Reply to FanofAction
@Piromysl You sure it wasn't because of poor Japanese casting? What if the English casting was ass and the Japanese fit better? Kinda throws off the whole "original being better because it's the original" narrative, huh?
@FanofAction Possible. What you described is one of the common issues with localizations. Localizers did not cooperated directly with original creators and had to interpret characters and chose VAs themselves. Same thing happens in English dubs of Japanese anime.

Apr 18, 7:56 AM

May 2015
Reply to LostSpectre
@billybub Sounds like an issue with garbage streaming services, not dubs.
@LostSpectre it's a problem with both, and an example how shitty dubs effect a sub watcher's experience.
Apr 18, 8:05 AM

May 2015
Reply to ColourWheel
FanofAction said:
Also...anyone playing the original is always better card when Goku exists...

I stated before Dubs vs subs is nothing more than a fallacy.

Generally I tend to watch Japanese dub versions of Anime because I am a rare few in the west who can actually understand the language spoken, but the 1st time I had ever watched Anime on Netflix, I had no clue that there was ever an option to switch between English dub and Japanese dub. So for a few years every Anime I watched on Netflix I saw the English dub version 1st. Then later going back and re-watching some titles with it dubbed in Japanese just didn't sit right with me. It didn't matter which dub came 1st, it's really what one 1st gets use to.

@ColourWheel there is no such thing as a "Japanese dub" when it comes to anime.
Apr 18, 8:10 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to billybub
billybub said:

And here you are wrong. All animation is dubbed because voice acting is not recorded live while any animation is being produced in real time.

Unless you are talking about live action film, the actors are the main voice actors usually and even then they sometimes they go back and dub certain parts to make voice acting clearer.
ColourWheelApr 18, 8:16 AM
Apr 18, 8:17 AM

May 2021
Brother chill. You've only seen 15 anime, and you named 4 anime which should be seen in dubs. Therefore Im assuming most of the 15 anime, you have watched in dub. If you never seen many sub anime, then why are you even getting so personal when people make this sub vs dub debate which almost every anime watchers have seen and came across before? You are mad because people criticizing you for watching dub. Okay, they might be wrong for that, but you yourself gotta watch more sub to understand where they are coming from with their arguments at least and make the comparison yourself.

It seems like you are just being a dub stan and mad only because people criticized you for that.
ZimmuApr 18, 8:20 AM
Apr 18, 8:20 AM

Nov 2011
real elitists watch anime on mute with Japanese subtitles.
(because of things like body language and being able to infer what the characters are saying from the sequence of actions, this probably isn’t as hard as it sounds even for people with little knowledge in Japanese)
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Apr 18, 8:27 AM

May 2015
Reply to ColourWheel
billybub said:

And here you are wrong. All animation is dubbed because voice acting is not recorded live while any animation is being produced in real time.

Unless you are talking about live action film, the actors are the main voice actors usually and even then they sometimes they go back and dub certain parts to make voice acting clearer.
@ColourWheel wrong dub is short for overdub ie. replacing the original audio. One cannot "dub" something that never had audio to begin with. There is a huge difference between Voice acting and dubbing
Apr 18, 8:27 AM

May 2015
Reply to ColourWheel
billybub said:

@ColourWheel wrong dub is short for overdub ie. replacing the original audio. One cannot "dub" something that never had audio to begin with. There is a huge difference between Voice acting and dubbing
Apr 18, 8:31 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to billybub
@billybub

Wrong again.

Dubbing is a post-production process used in filmmaking and video production, often in concert with sound design, in which additional or supplementary recordings are lip-synced and "mixed" with original production sound to create the finished soundtrack.

Absolutely nothing to do with "replacing the original audio", that's just something you made up.

Overdubbing (also known as layering) is a technique used in audio recording in which audio tracks that have been pre-recorded are then played back and monitored, while simultaneously recording new, doubled, or augmented tracks onto one or more available tracks of a digital audio workstation (DAW) or tape recorder.
ColourWheelApr 18, 8:36 AM
Apr 18, 8:41 AM

May 2015
Reply to ColourWheel
@billybub

Wrong again.

Dubbing is a post-production process used in filmmaking and video production, often in concert with sound design, in which additional or supplementary recordings are lip-synced and "mixed" with original production sound to create the finished soundtrack.

Absolutely nothing to do with "replacing the original audio", that's just something you made up.

Overdubbing (also known as layering) is a technique used in audio recording in which audio tracks that have been pre-recorded are then played back and monitored, while simultaneously recording new, doubled, or augmented tracks onto one or more available tracks of a digital audio workstation (DAW) or tape recorder.
@ColourWheel if your going to attempt to correct me by citing Wikipedia of all things maybe read past the 1st paragraph. Specifically the 4th paragraph of the page your using where it states "dubbing" is never used to refer to original audio. Dubbing specifically refers to overwriting the original audio period.
Apr 18, 8:48 AM

Mar 2021
billybub said:
@ColourWheel if your going to attempt to correct me by citing Wikipedia of all things maybe read past the 1st paragraph. Specifically the 4th paragraph of the page your using where it states "dubbing" is never used to refer to original audio. Dubbing specifically refers to overwriting the original audio period.

You simply didn't give me a chance for me to put quote boxes around what overdubbing is. I was literally just about to do that. Oh well no point now.

When talking about Anime dubbing, in this context has nothing to do with overdubbing was the point. There is a reason why you never hear about overdubbing in Anime because it's not even really a thing. It's just simply dubbing.
Apr 18, 8:54 AM

Nov 2011
Reply to ColourWheel
billybub said:

@ColourWheel it depends, actually. most of the time in anime, voice recording is indeed done separately. but there are exceptions.
for example, series for which the studio uses motion capture CG, such as Pole Princess and Love Live! Hasunosora Jogakuin School Idol Club.

as for the Japanese dub debate, it literally just means that the audio is in Japanese. people are overthinking things.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Apr 18, 12:24 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Piromysl
@FanofAction Possible. What you described is one of the common issues with localizations. Localizers did not cooperated directly with original creators and had to interpret characters and chose VAs themselves. Same thing happens in English dubs of Japanese anime.
@Piromysl Right. Dubs in and of themselves aren't a bad thing, it's the execution. Like how a live action adaption ends up bad if you have little to no input from the creators. That's why if they actually manage to do a decent job, it can at least be acknowledged, instead of saying it's all ass.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» what is the best slice of life anime and why ?

ame - Yesterday

25 by billybub »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform? ( 1 2 )

Dije - Apr 16

62 by Turn_A_Blum »»
19 minutes ago

» Do You Consider Yourself a Generous or a Harsh Scorer?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 28

36 by Nirinbo »»
22 minutes ago

» Does femdom ruin romance anime for you?

Sanjay63773 - 4 hours ago

21 by traed »»
25 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 27

80 by Potimas »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.