Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 11, 6:07 AM

Feb 2019
I know it's been only 2 episodes, but so far this show is great, the plot is very interesting, the mystery of why 7G did what it did and is it possible to reverse the world back, what's happening in Ikebukuro, ... And it's an original anime so none of us know what is happening next, the OST is also incredible. What do you guys think? Does this show deserve more attention?
Apr 11, 6:23 AM

Feb 2020
A lot of people are commenting here, so this is already quite popular imo. So far, this has received much more attention than any other shows I'm watching this season.

SerafosApr 11, 6:27 AM
Apr 11, 1:15 PM

Jun 2019
Ever since the past few years when I began watching seasonals, it's not uncommon for me to check the seasonal section on MAL with the listing of all the upcoming shows for the next season in last few days or weeks of the previous season. Either that or I learn about a new show when its development is announced in the news and announcements sub-forum, or through some word of mouth somewhere else online randomly.

Well, I saw this show and read the thread topic created when it was announced, but there was very little info to go on. A pretty vague synopsis, kind of vague poster, no genres listed, and mention of its tie-in to commemoration of the railway service in Japan for an anniversary date. "Okay", I thought - "This could be anything." I figured that the most likely would be it was a CGDCT Slice of Life based on all girl characters on the poster art and the art style and that it would somehow include them traveling on a train somewhere for some reason. I honestly thought that it would be a relatively low effort endeavor (compared to series which have a lot more effort put into their worldbuilding and planning out) and sort of just a cute and relaxing show mostly about nothing. I was probably going to watch it anyway (I mean, I did, after all, under this initial preconception), because I don't mind shows that are about nothing, iyashikei, random travelogues, etc.

But upon watching the first episode, I, like I assume many others who have, naturally was surprised as I didn't anticipate the obviously significantly greater thought put into the writing as far as the scene to scene, episode to episode plot so far in events, dialogue, just the amount of things happening, and also the underlying premise itself.

Why isn't it bigger then? Well, I don't know where else I'd hear much about it outside of MAL, the other sites like Anilist or Kitsu, and anime-devoted spaces on places like Reddit and YouTube. But just focusing on MAL, as far as its popularity rankings and amount of members for viewership or people who added it to a list, I imagine that it's not nearly as big as it could be or that some (yes, including me in this case) feel that it should be for the same reason that I had absolutely no idea what it entailed or what to expect up until the day it aired and the moment I pressed the play button: There wasn't a lot of information out there about it leading up to it and there still isn't. Hell, its first genre tag on its archival page was just added literally a few days ago. Nothing radically changed about its obscurity in that sense after it started airing. And because it's an original and not based on a manga, light novel, visual novel, some big video game franchise, or other source material, there's no pre-existing fanbase to hype it up combined with its shrouded mystery box-style of advertising. That equals minimal buzz and fanfare.

I have a feeling that if it remains at least decent at worst and word of mouth spreads based on that, that this will be one of the shows which starts to get a lot more popular late in the actual airing season, or even after the fact.
WatchTillTandavaApr 11, 1:23 PM
Apr 13, 7:40 AM

Nov 2018
best new show of the season so far. it's a shame the MAL score is at 7.3
Apr 13, 8:04 AM

Jan 2023
This is an original anime at its core, naturally there won't be a fanbase or community revolving around it initially so it's up to those who do decide to watch it to spread the word.

I can see it becoming more popular though that if it keeps up the way it's been going so far, since I and I imagine many others along with me were surprised by the first episode.

"You win this round. You doggies."
Apr 13, 10:07 AM
Aug 2023
This show definitely needs more recognition
Apr 14, 3:07 AM

Jun 2020
I think it will always have some sort of niche relevance considering its going to be a part of the "not what it appears" group of anime: madoka, school live, made in abyss, etc
Apr 14, 10:37 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to BitChilly
This is an original anime at its core, naturally there won't be a fanbase or community revolving around it initially so it's up to those who do decide to watch it to spread the word.

I can see it becoming more popular though that if it keeps up the way it's been going so far, since I and I imagine many others along with me were surprised by the first episode.
@BitChilly Exactly my thoughts. As time goes on more people will pick this up.

Need to shine some more light on that OST as well, it's already so good & we're only 2 eps in.
Respectfully ofc

Apr 14, 11:12 PM

May 2015
Reply to falaflani
best new show of the season so far. it's a shame the MAL score is at 7.3
Most anime tend to be rated relatively low at the beginning and slowly improve throughout their runtime as long as they don't screw anything up during their run. I assume it's because a ton of people who dropped the series early also gave it a rating. Meanwhile, a ton of people who are invested in the show have yet to actually give it a score.
Apr 15, 3:58 AM

Jan 2014
I mean. It's only just started honestly. It'll gain more attraction as it goes along, every seaosn you'll find this topic of 'this should be this more' I get you love it, but p much.
Apr 16, 10:02 AM
May 2023
Shamikont said:
Does this show deserve more attention?

This show deserves a big, fat trigger warning.

They knew what they did when putting together the promo material and make sure to roll two openings without showing the talking animals.

What kind of thoughts went into decisions like this? If you're going to make talking animals central to your show, please give a fair warning and put it on the cover and in the synopsis! This kind of revolting stuff is what makes people not only not watch your show, which is what they would have done if they had been given a fair warning - now they're going to actively hate the show for being put through that kind of disgust.
Apr 16, 12:47 PM

Jun 2019
Mazoy said:

They knew what they did when putting together the promo material and make sure to roll two openings without showing the talking animals.

What kind of thoughts went into decisions like this? If you're going to make talking animals central to your show, please give a fair warning and put it on the cover and in the synopsis! This kind of revolting stuff is what makes people not only not watch your show, which is what they would have done if they had been given a fair warning - now they're going to actively hate the show for being put through that kind of disgust.

Huh?

What's wrong with portrayal of talking (non-human) animals? In this case they are transformed humans, but even in general, what would be so offensive or revolting about such an idea as to inspire this extreme reaction? Or anthropomorphic animals? Did you (or anyone else who shares this type of sentiment) not get exposed to any Western cartoon shows growing up, Disney films, etc.? It's been around forever in different cultures and isn't some radical or exotic concept.
Apr 16, 3:00 PM

Jul 2021
I blame the marketing. I had no idea that this show would be this crazy, and I only discovered this when I tried the first episode on a whim.

To me, there was nothing in the posters, the official synopsis, and even the trailers that hinted at a bonkers sci-fi post-apocalyptic adventure. At least, none of those held my attention strongly enough to actually focus and catch those hints.

I get why they did it this way, though; if they revealed their hand in the promos, it would have weakened the impact.

Hopefully the show stays consistent and generates word-of-mouth over the season.
Apr 16, 7:33 PM
May 2023
Reply to WatchTillTandava
Mazoy said:

Huh?

What's wrong with portrayal of talking (non-human) animals? In this case they are transformed humans, but even in general, what would be so offensive or revolting about such an idea as to inspire this extreme reaction? Or anthropomorphic animals? Did you (or anyone else who shares this type of sentiment) not get exposed to any Western cartoon shows growing up, Disney films, etc.? It's been around forever in different cultures and isn't some radical or exotic concept.
@WatchTillTandava It's not as much that the show has more talking animals in it than anything else in episode one, it's more the fact that they tried to cover it up and only show us pictures, promo videos and a synopsis without them.

You like the show? Great, please enjoy it. I'm sure there are people out there who love this. I'm just asking for a heads up with these things.
MazoyApr 16, 8:19 PM
Apr 17, 4:08 AM

Jun 2019
Mazoy said:
It's not as much that the show has more talking animals in it than anything else in episode one, it's more the fact that they tried to cover it up and only show us pictures, promo videos and a synopsis without them.

You like the show? Great, please enjoy it. I'm sure there are people out there who love this. I'm just asking for a heads up with these things.

It's not about whether I like the show or not. That's irrelevant and unimportant. Equally, I don't care if either you or anyone else likes or dislikes it. That's everyone's personal choice and prerogative and not really the point. You can like or dislike a show for any number of reasons of personal preference and everyone is perfectly free to do so. I have no problem with it not being for you.

I'm curious and confused as to why specifically you refer to a depiction of talking animals as "this kind of revolting stuff" which requires a "trigger warning"? Talking animals in animation especially has been a widespread thing around for many decades.
Apr 17, 6:06 AM

Feb 2019
Reply to Ellenwitch
I mean. It's only just started honestly. It'll gain more attraction as it goes along, every seaosn you'll find this topic of 'this should be this more' I get you love it, but p much.
@Ellenwitch If you don't watch the first episode when it just comes out, what reason will you pick it later on tho. Currently it got way less members than all the trashy eye-rolling unoriginal lvl 1 ultra OP power fantasy isekai so i felt the need to ask the question. It is way more creative and unique than those and yet way less members, people just don't pick it up, or maybe just people on MAL don't idk
Apr 17, 6:24 AM

Jan 2014
Reply to Shamikont
@Ellenwitch If you don't watch the first episode when it just comes out, what reason will you pick it later on tho. Currently it got way less members than all the trashy eye-rolling unoriginal lvl 1 ultra OP power fantasy isekai so i felt the need to ask the question. It is way more creative and unique than those and yet way less members, people just don't pick it up, or maybe just people on MAL don't idk
@Shamikont Word of mouth.

More likely their fave content creators will talk about it if they really like it, and if they don't watch them, more likely it'll get a big enough blow up in sense of being talked in circles, that it'll fall to them, which then it'll be up to them if they watch or not. Like, not gonna say it's suddenly gonna shoot up with millions of views. But for sure, it will gain attraction, and people will pick it up. Sometimes people even wait a few episodes, to see the perception of a product, before trying it out. It might look small early doors, but it'll pick up. Trust me.
Apr 17, 2:08 PM
Dec 2020
It will, it is just a matter of time. It is always the case with original anime or great adaptations with small fanbases. It takes a few weeks for them to get the attention but once they do they become really popular.
Apr 22, 8:48 PM

Apr 2024
very great show until now, I hope it'll continue to keep this great concept
Apr 22, 9:05 PM
Oct 2019
Reply to Shamikont
@Shamikont just because I like to watch a lot of varieties. It's literally on my S(highest priority )watchlist on crunchyroll but I binge stuff so I wait it to be over.
Apr 22, 10:29 PM

Jul 2012
I like it but wont recommend it cause originals are experts at shitting the landing.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 15

116 by The_Doke »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 8

112 by The_Doke »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 29

64 by Darknight462 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 22

99 by IzanaSolos »»
Yesterday, 5:56 PM

» Theories?

the_great_prince - Apr 29

12 by Infernalization »»
Yesterday, 3:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.