Forum Settings
Forums

Phil Spencer blames capitalism for games industry woes: 'I don't get [the] luxury of not having to run a profitable growing business'

New
Mar 28, 3:48 PM

Jan 2009
Spencer said publicly traded companies have to show constant growth or else nobody will give them money.

After a lot of wrangling with regulators, Microsoft recently spent $69 billion-with-a-b to acquire Activision Blizzard, after which it almost immediately cut 1,900 jobs across its gaming business. Not great news for anyone, unless perhaps you own MSFT stock. In an interview with Polygon about the driving forces behind layoffs at Microsoft and across the industry, Xbox boss Phil Spencer pointed the finger at—well, really, just capitalism in general.

https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-industry/phil-spencer-blames-capitalism-for-games-industry-woes-i-dont-get-the-luxury-of-not-having-to-run-a-profitable-growing-business/

be like valve then a private company
Mar 28, 4:05 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
This guy is absolutely out of touch with reality.

I don’t want this industry to be a place where people can’t, with confidence, build a career.

Like, seriously? He's saying THIS of all things, when we are currently living in the age where it's easier than it's ever been, to make any game you want, and put it out there with next to no strings attatched??

What we are seeing here is a creature of the legacy establishment media grasping at straws because he can no longer appeal to his customers or his shareholders, similar to what we have seen in many other fields, such as film, television, etc -the internet has given the power to ordinary people to create a career for themselves from nothing. What this guy is complaining about is that he can't make his competitors going through his own channels, since, now, the means to create and distribute your own game is very free and open. The AAA industry has stagnated for years now, there's a new section of the market that is opening up to make entertainment much more suited to any niche who are becoming successful. Ironically, it's the free market that allows this.

But of course they are going to blame it on whatever they can to not actually address the issue that there has been serious problems with the Xbox brand and AAA gaming for well over a decade now. If they want to be successful, they need to realize that they need to start making products that people actually want to buy, instead of blaming the customers or the shareholders, actually make a product that is worth a damn.
DreamWindowMar 28, 4:28 PM

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Mar 29, 6:28 PM

Jul 2013
And why are we debating about politics on an anime forum lol?
Mar 29, 6:33 PM

Sep 2018
Guessing the elephant in the room won't be addressed, but I would blame esg for their failures. Can't sell games on unattractive heroines. Starfield showed how out of touch companies are with actual gamers. Nintendo seems to be the current king of focusing on quality over esg.
Mar 29, 9:33 PM

May 2013
Gaming should have never gone mainstream and all these discussions are proof.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Mar 29, 10:57 PM

Dec 2016
Investors have no idea what the market wants or how to make games. They trust the developers and yall been selling them some bullshit. How hard is it to make a big titty Roxanne Wolf Terminator 2 spin-off of Five Nights at Freddys?
Mar 30, 12:05 AM

Oct 2022
-Game companies appeal to non-gamers and "game journalists"
-Game companies lose money
-Indie game developers continue to be very successful
-Gamers praise and play indie games while continuing to call out the bad practices of game companies
-Game companies blames capitalism

Yeah lol no one is falling for that excuse.
When a pancake lover does something: "Outrageous vicious crime"

When a waffle lover does something: "That means it is not illegal"

Quotes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_HIM667Do&t=2822s

More topics from this board

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

SnipeStrike - Apr 16

14 by JaniSIr »»
1 hour ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3720 by Inuki »»
5 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3513 by Tamamolicki »»
10 hours ago

» total games on your steam library ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 22

50 by Strahan »»
Yesterday, 4:32 PM

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Apr 25

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
Yesterday, 12:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.