Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Eminence in Shadow (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 28, 12:28 PM
Jul 2021
I'm 2 episodes in and I gotta say it's so insanely cringe I can't comprehend how people can watch this while paying actual attention to it, while I am an enjoyer of Isekai and certainly edgy characters, this isn't horrible but I can't even watch 5 minutes without pausing and cringing into oblivion. So my question is, will it get less cringe or might it get even cringier?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 28, 12:36 PM
Nov 2015
It gets even cringier. Just watch it like the MC, turn your brains off and don't take it seriously. It's surprisingly enjoyable that way.
Mar 28, 12:37 PM

Dec 2014
It just gets better but surely you will hate it more and more so just drop it , why suffer on porpuse?

Mar 28, 12:38 PM
Sep 2021
Bro the cringy act makes it funny
Mar 28, 12:46 PM
Nov 2018
If you don't like it as it is, you won't like it later.
Mar 28, 12:47 PM

Jan 2020
No, it’ll only get cringier ‘till it reaches the peak in the last episode. Then, the tension goes a bit down in beginning of the 2nd season and continues to rise exponentially until the final episode.

You know, just imagine a triangular sinusoid, ‘cause that’s kinda what this show is.
Mar 28, 12:49 PM

Jul 2022
cringe?
no i don't think so, you are just jealous
this is a bait thread, you better touch some grass, Best MC in isekai genre

So yeah, watch it, NOW
"A person who cannot give up anything, can change nothing."
Mar 28, 12:59 PM
Mar 2023
do people actually lack basic media comprehension? this anime is clearly making of the edgy trope, its not meant to be taken seriously if you actually did not get that from 3 episodes despite it being very obvious then i dont know what to say, maybe you should stick to anime like jjk with pointless fights every episode.
Mar 28, 1:06 PM

Jul 2022
Turn that frown upside down

Mar 28, 1:15 PM
Jul 2023
thats what this show is about though, if you didnt enjoy it up until now then you definitely will not enjoy it the rest of the way
Mar 28, 1:47 PM

Apr 2021
I don’t know what cringe means, but I pushed through 2 seasons to finish.

I completely disliked the MC the whole time, and I personally think the show would have been better with a completely different character.

I thought some of the side characters were more interesting and enjoyable to watch than the MC.

There extremely repetitive unfunny humor made me so annoyed, I had to stop watching the show for a while.

The story isn’t that good and the characters interactions are lame.

I will praise the directing/editing, art/animation, sound/music, and voice actors, they all did the best they could for this awful anime.
ejleonMar 28, 1:57 PM
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series and judge each based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Mar 28, 1:55 PM
Dec 2022
The cringer, the better. it's peak. Just turn off your brain like someone said earlier and watch it.
Mar 28, 1:56 PM

Apr 2021
aloop86 said:
do people actually lack basic media comprehension? this anime is clearly making of the edgy trope, its not meant to be taken seriously if you actually did not get that from 3 episodes despite it being very obvious then i dont know what to say, maybe you should stick to anime like jjk with pointless fights every episode.

I knew it wasn’t to be taken seriously, but I still thought most of the anime was lame unfunny unenjoyable, especially the awful MC who was only tolerable when fighting.

JJK is far better in story, background, plot, archs, characters, dialogue, interactions, humor, fight scenes, etc etc.

And I did give Shadow, as well as every anime I watch, a chance, it just failed to be entertaining.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series and judge each based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Mar 28, 2:03 PM
Aug 2019
The cringe is what makes it watchable haha
Mar 28, 2:22 PM
Aug 2021
No. That’s literally the entire point of the show. It’s a parody. It’s parodying edgy power fantasy stories.
Mar 28, 2:27 PM
Jan 2022
ejleon said:
aloop86 said:

I knew it wasn’t to be taken seriously, but I still thought most of the anime was lame unfunny unenjoyable, especially the awful MC who was only tolerable when fighting.

JJK is far better in story, background, plot, archs, characters, dialogue, interactions, humor, fight scenes, etc etc.

And I did give Shadow, as well as every anime I watch, a chance, it just failed to be entertaining.

Yeah just enjoy your holy Arifureta trash.😂
Mar 28, 2:50 PM
Oct 2021
The series is so edgy and cringe to the point that it ends up becoming good
Mar 28, 2:53 PM

Apr 2021
Ripperdoc said:
ejleon said:

People who use pathetically lame insults to attack me personally or other anime, just don’t have any valid evidence or argument to defend the anime they claim to like.

Thanks for revealing that even fans of Shadow can’t defend this awful anime.

Mar 28, 2:55 PM
Dec 2023
It's a parody. The cringe is intentional. The show gets really good if you can accept a bit of cringe.
Mar 28, 3:02 PM
Jan 2022
ejleon said:
Ripperdoc said:

People who use pathetically lame insults to attack me personally or other anime, just don’t have any valid evidence or argument to defend the anime they claim to like.

Hey I don't defend any series, you can criticize/talk trash eminence and any other show all day everyday. I just said Arifureta is garbage :).
RipperdocMar 28, 3:05 PM
Mar 28, 3:08 PM

Jan 2013
I'll give you a serious answer.

I know the parody tag is missing on MAL, and that the first episode is a bit of a bizarre introduction, it's not immediately apparent where the "joke" is, but this should be much clearer by the second episode. This series is a parody of isekai tropes, including power-fantasy, harem, and other elements. That doesn't mean it's not, fundamentally, still the very thing it's making fun of, but it's either taken to extremes or subverted in a humorous way.

This is often done in a pretty dry/dark sense of humor, and there's no obvious comedic signal much of the time, so if you can't distinguish the comedic elements, I would imagine it's downright painful to watch. So, my suggestion is to try and reframe your viewing experience/expectations from that lens, and if you still can't grasp the humor behind what would otherwise be cringe, then it's safe to say the show isn't a good fit for you.
LostSpectreMar 28, 3:20 PM
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 28, 3:14 PM
Jan 2022
I love the eminence in shadow it maybe a parody, but the fight scenes are masterful it's supposed to be cringy even with the cringe it's still worth the watch
Mar 28, 3:29 PM
Jan 2023
Keep watching till u can adapt the cringe like Mahoraga adapt gojo's CT
Mar 28, 3:34 PM
Nov 2023
The cringe is the best part
Mar 28, 4:15 PM
Jan 2021
It’s just a fun show, cringe wont get any better
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Mar 28, 4:18 PM

Apr 2021
Ripperdoc said:
ejleon said:

Hey I don't defend any series, you can criticize/talk trash eminence and any other show all day everyday. I just said Arifureta is garbage :).

Ok thanks for letting me know your comment was completely pointless and a waste of my time.

Have a good day.

Mar 28, 4:20 PM
Aug 2021
it's just the tone the show sets and sticks to. if you don't like it, don't watch it. How do people not do this and instead go complain and whine online.

Just don't watch it if it's too "cringe" for you. it's that simple.
Mar 28, 4:39 PM
Dec 2021
@ejleon Arifureta,Genjitsu Shujii Yushaa, Isekai Nonbiri, Tate no Yushaa and Anos anime in favorites 👍
Mar 28, 5:07 PM
Apr 2017
That's the entire point of the show.
Mar 28, 5:14 PM
Jan 2021
ejleon said:
aloop86 said:

While I agree with you that JJK is a masterclass in storytelling I’m not sure why you’d compare it to EiS, especially when it’s a completely different sub genre. It would’ve been better to compare it to Overlord or Reincarnated as a Slime, which are much better isekai’s.

But I disagree that EiS is a bad anime. It’s mean to be cringy and edgy, with absurdist and repetitive jokes that make it funny. And jokes being overused in turn makes it more absurdist which completely the comedic loop of the show.

Whether that’s your cup of tea or not is completely subjective. But I enjoy it, especially the second season when he hears someone say something super edgy and copies it, then just randomly appears throughout the episode resaying that line. And the more he says it the more absurd he gets, and that made me laugh so much.

His character isn’t made to be taken seriously. Rather the world and the side characters are. Which turns it into a dual narrative that is just hilarious to watch.
Mar 28, 5:55 PM
Feb 2024
the anime is literally about the mc being all edgy and cringe chuunibyou kind of thing
Mar 28, 6:08 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
What’s cringe is seeing all these random isekai series every season. This show was so much better than all of those. Though if you find it cringey then I would recommend dropping it and finding a different show.
Mar 28, 6:25 PM

Apr 2021
dexios2000 said:
ejleon said:

While I agree with you that JJK is a masterclass in storytelling I’m not sure why you’d compare it to EiS, especially when it’s a completely different sub genre. It would’ve been better to compare it to Overlord or Reincarnated as a Slime, which are much better isekai’s.

But I disagree that EiS is a bad anime. It’s mean to be cringy and edgy, with absurdist and repetitive jokes that make it funny. And jokes being overused in turn makes it more absurdist which completely the comedic loop of the show.

Whether that’s your cup of tea or not is completely subjective. But I enjoy it, especially the second season when he hears someone say something super edgy and copies it, then just randomly appears throughout the episode resaying that line. And the more he says it the more absurd he gets, and that made me laugh so much.

His character isn’t made to be taken seriously. Rather the world and the side characters are. Which turns it into a dual narrative that is just hilarious to watch.

Why are you asking me?
I’m not the one who brought it up.
I just answered the person that responded to me.
I would not have compared the two otherwise.

And you are not listening, the MC is disgusting to me, and the show is not funny in my opinion, period. “Not to be taken seriously” / “it’s a parody”, these claims make absolutely no difference in my opinion, it is one of the worst isekai I have ever seen.

You can like it if you want, I’m not stopping you, nothing I say about the anime is to be taken personally.

That second season one liner that he repeats to different people was fine, I actually thought that fit the series.

It is the fact the no one explains anything to each, that no one listens to each other, that everyone assumes things that were not said, and not one person in the anime hears it and says “What a bunch of morons”.
ejleonMar 28, 6:35 PM

Mar 28, 6:51 PM
Jan 2021
ejleon said:
dexios2000 said:

Why are you asking me?

And you are not listening, the MC is disgusting to me, and the show is not funny in my opinion, period. “Not to be taken seriously” / “it’s a parody”, these claims make absolutely no difference in my opinion, it is one of the worst isekai I have ever seen.

You can like it if you want, I’m not stopping you, nothing I say about the anime is to be taken personally.

That second season one liner that he repeats to different people was fine, I actually thought that fit the series.

It is the fact the no one explains anything to each, that no one listens to each other, that everyone assumes things that were not said, and not one person in the anime hears it and says “What a bunch of morons”.

I get what u mean but disgusting? It’s a little bit too far when referring to just an edge lord parody mc 🤔

Disgusting refers to more Rudeus from MT and his decrepit behaviour.
Mar 28, 7:00 PM
Sep 2021
Embrace the cringle boy
Mar 28, 7:03 PM

Apr 2021
dexios2000 said:
ejleon said:

Why are you asking me?

I get what u mean but disgusting? It’s a little bit too far when referring to just an edge lord parody mc 🤔

Disgusting refers to more Rudeus from MT and his decrepit behaviour.

Hm… I understand what you mean.

Then I would say that I completely dislike Cid Kagenou and he totally irritates me.

The only thing that is ok about him is the fact that he is OP, which only serves the show in fights.

I don’t know how to some that up into one word.

Mar 28, 8:50 PM
Oct 2020
Idk, but that's what making me watch it ig.
Mar 28, 10:47 PM

Aug 2020
ejleon said:
I thought some of the side characters were more interesting and enjoyable to watch than the MC.

There extremely repetitive unfunny humor made me so annoyed, I had to stop watching the show for a while.

The story isn’t that good and the characters interactions are lame.

100%. Mostly weebs that have a warped brain from all the garbage they consume. Reddit ass humor.
Keep scrolling
Mar 28, 11:02 PM
Aug 2021
fghPOWA said:
I'm 2 episodes in and I gotta say it's so insanely cringe I can't comprehend how people can watch this while paying actual attention to it, while I am an enjoyer of Isekai and certainly edgy characters, this isn't horrible but I can't even watch 5 minutes without pausing and cringing into oblivion. So my question is, will it get less cringe or might it get even cringier?

it's cringe to that level which you can't even comprehend
and that makes it so good
Mar 29, 12:58 AM
Oct 2021
That’s part of the humor, it’s purposely cringe , making fun of shows that cringe by accident, if that makes sense? They do a great job of lightly making fun of the isekai / shonen genre and still keep exciting. It’s actually very satirical, and it’s crazy how they keep up this exact sense of humor all the way thru to end of season 2. Once you start to find the humor funny it’s a Great show.

Try get to episode 6 and if you don’t like it still then drop it.
Mar 29, 1:27 AM

Oct 2021
People just have different cringe tolerance my dude, this is a cringe humor, maybe try to watch it when you're in a different mood or just simply growing up.

As for your question, no, it won't get less "cringy".
Mar 29, 1:30 AM

Oct 2021
Reply to ejleon
Ripperdoc said:
ejleon said:

@ejleon you know I always defend this anime right? And I'm pretty sure we've discussed this anime more than enough already, or maybe you have something more?
Mar 29, 1:40 AM
Jan 2021
no its suppose to be cringe, if u can't handle cringe then pls leave while u can.
Mar 29, 1:43 AM

Oct 2022
I think the point of this anime is to be cringe.
When a pancake lover does something: "Outrageous vicious crime"

When a waffle lover does something: "That means it is not illegal"

Quotes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_HIM667Do&t=2822s
Mar 29, 2:40 AM
Mar 2021
It's pretty good in my opinion; in fact, it's one of my favorite series. And regarding the cringe part, it's only more prevalent in the anime; the original source material (light novel) is pretty well-balanced, not too cringey nor lacking. So, my suggestion would be to read the light novel first. If you don't have time to read it, then I can't do anything about that. Alternatively, you can simply stop watching the series if it doesn't suit your taste.
Mar 29, 3:31 AM
Sep 2022
bro this whole discussion is so pointless 💀
Mar 29, 7:50 AM
Dec 2022
fghPOWA said:

It is literally the joke of the series lol. But it is fun to watch and it has pretty good lore
Mar 29, 9:00 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to EdgyLord666
@ejleon you know I always defend this anime right? And I'm pretty sure we've discussed this anime more than enough already, or maybe you have something more?
@EdgyLord666 hi, hope you are well.

We are good, as you said, we have discussed this before.

I respect your opinion.

Mar 29, 9:56 AM

Jan 2013
@ejleon Person who unironically LOVES isekai doesn't enjoy an anime parodying isekai tropes? I'm shocked.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 29, 9:57 AM
Jun 2021
fghPOWA said:

the cringe is the comedy, youre supposed to find it funny
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2022

730 by Sayan_Pal »»
Apr 19, 3:27 AM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2023

745 by HatsuoIM »»
Apr 18, 3:56 AM

» How is Cid so strong?

eWEQRW123123 - Apr 13

5 by Sayan_Pal »»
Apr 15, 7:32 AM

» This anime would be 10x better without Cid ( 1 2 3 4 )

Apollo_Injustice - Dec 21, 2023

173 by Sayan_Pal »»
Apr 13, 7:43 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2023

179 by Sayan_Pal »»
Apr 13, 7:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.