Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 27, 11:20 AM

Apr 2022
If anybody on this forum is a medical doctor or otherwise knowledgeable on the topic of surgery and medicine, I'd love to know how accurate this show is? Based on my very limited knowledge I noticed some things that looked pretty ridiculous to me, but I won't take the risk of sounding stupid and instead would rather hear the opinion of someone that learned medicine outside of House M.D.
Mar 27, 11:26 AM
Aug 2022
I am also curious if any of this is accurate, cause I know literally nothing about medical knowledge. To me they are all speaking alien.
Mar 27, 1:04 PM
May 2016
I study medicine and honestly the majority of what I remember happened in the show was plausible and accurate. I’m not experienced in surgery though so I may be wrong but the terms, symptoms and treatments were all accurate as far as I know
Mar 28, 11:56 AM

Jul 2021
felixsifuri said:
Based on my very limited knowledge I noticed some things that looked pretty ridiculous to me

As a Biology major and very briefly a pre-med, I'm hardly qualified, but I personally didn't notice anything really bad... Which part looked ridiculous to you?

The two things that come to mind is performing surgery with a shard of broken glass (in the crashed plane, before her re-reincarnation) and cutting into the windpipe with a dinner knife (when the old lady was choking). It may be possible, but I think it'd be very difficult, especially without making a mess out of the patient.

One thing that was really off-putting was Elise telling her patients "I WILL save you, I promise" on multiple occasions. I'm pretty sure that's a huge no-no in a doctor-patient relationship, and it's not a healthy mindset for a doctor to have at all. What happens to the doctor and the patient if things go wrong? It may be acceptable in this 18th-century European fantasy setting, but I find it hard to believe that a highly-skilled and experienced doctor from modern-day like Elise would voluntarily say something like this. But I will accept it because it's a drama...

I don't think the show digs deep enough into medicine to actually have inaccuracies anyway... The medical stuff is all pretty straightforward; diabetes, a cold, spleen injury, broken leg, etc. And the anime just quickly rattles off a diagnosis and a treatment and moves on. Hardly House M.D.
May 31, 2:39 AM

Aug 2017
felixsifuri said:
If anybody on this forum is a medical doctor or otherwise knowledgeable on the topic of surgery and medicine, I'd love to know how accurate this show is? Based on my very limited knowledge I noticed some things that looked pretty ridiculous to me, but I won't take the risk of sounding stupid and instead would rather hear the opinion of someone that learned medicine outside of House M.D.

Seasoned radiologist here and I would say the show was 75% accurate.

However Elise and her colleagues act as both medical (non-surgical) and surgical doctors. And Elise performs general surgeon (abdomen) and thoracic surgery for the PE at the end. So there is some poetic license in the show.

I think the show would be enjoyable for doctors.

Bartolomeo_ said:
terms, symptoms and treatments were all accurate as far as I know

Yeah, that's pretty much a correct statement.

Even the knife cutting open the old lady's throat and putting in a straw can be an emergent treatment in a pinch. And sticking a needle into the chest to decompress the pneumothorax. Open surgery for pulmonary embolism would be uncommon but possible in dire circumstances.
CarbonMDMay 31, 2:43 AM

More topics from this board

» Should I watch this?

CarbonMD - Mar 18

36 by mayeesison »»
Jun 8, 6:47 AM

» What are your thoughts about Julian (or Yulian)?

AngelMilky_15 - Dec 14, 2023

5 by CarbonMD »»
May 31, 2:22 AM

Poll: » Gekai Elise Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 27

57 by CarbonMD »»
May 31, 2:17 AM

Poll: » Gekai Elise Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14

56 by KumaliaBlossom »»
May 28, 7:24 PM

Poll: » Gekai Elise Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 31

43 by CarbonMD »»
May 23, 5:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.