Mar 17, 12:03 AM

Jan 2020
meaningless and incoherent
13:57 ??????????????????? Playing like 600 rating XD
be happy
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 17, 12:07 AM

Jan 2020
The girl with white hair is like that kid who doesn't know how to play chess and thinks she knows what she's doing.
be happy
Mar 17, 12:12 AM

Jan 2020
Hans Niemmann winning a chess match be like
be happy
Mar 17, 12:13 AM

Nov 2021
What did you expect? Carlsen vs Nakamura?

(Desktop mode) ⬇️

Watching this season

My Anime list

Comment
Mar 17, 12:14 AM

Jan 2020
itsrj20 said:

At least a decent match coming from the "person who beat best engines"
be happy
Mar 17, 12:17 AM
Aug 2022
Bruh, Horikita's elo is around 1600 and hashimoto's elo is around 1200 while sakayanagi's elo is around 2100. What do you expect from this kind of elo rating except arisu actually playing like a professional, and then we got kiyotaka, but in the middle his move was hacked and edited so you can't fully judge that. If you want to experience a good chess match in cote then read the part in LN where sakayanagi played against ayanokouji in a 1v1 after the exam.
Mar 17, 12:19 AM

Nov 2021
DarkSpaceVRP said:
itsrj20 said:

I'm surprised they even showed this much gameplay in the adaptation. Otherwise, the way they are adapting, they could have announced the result by showing 2 to 3 slides of chess.

(Desktop mode) ⬇️

Watching this season

My Anime list

Comment
Mar 17, 12:20 AM

Jan 2020
Antisocial-Weeb said:
Bruh, Horikita's elo is around 1600 and hashimoto's elo is around 1200 while sakayanagi's elo is around 2100. What do you expect from this kind of elo rating except arisu actually playing like a professional, and then we got kiyotaka, but in the middle his move was hacked and edited so you can't fully judge that. If you want to experience a good chess match in cote then read the part in LN where sakayanagi played against ayanokouji in a 1v1 after the exam.

If she is 2100 im 7000 lol even i play better than her, she is <1200
be happy
Mar 17, 12:20 AM

Jan 2020
itsrj20 said:
DarkSpaceVRP said:

I'm surprised they even showed this much gameplay in the adaptation. Otherwise, the way they are adapting, they could have announced the result by showing 2 to 3 slides of chess.

It would be much better than them pretending to understand chess.
be happy
Mar 17, 12:29 AM

Jan 2020
Reply to Antisocial-Weeb
@Antisocial-Weeb https://imgur.com/gallery/o5CuxWK
So youre telling me a 2100 would play like this...
be happy
Mar 17, 12:29 AM
Jul 2023
DarkSpaceVRP said:
Antisocial-Weeb said:

Alright quit lying bro😭
Mar 17, 12:32 AM

Mar 2023
Wow, what a talented chess player you are, you have no equal!!!!.

I'm not that well versed in chess, but the incredible level of play is clearly not what's needed in such an adaptation, after all, it's not a Chrono Monochrome type chess spokon. Oh and at the end of the day, LN has a good chess game.
Mar 17, 12:33 AM

Apr 2021
DarkSpaceVRP said:

It’s nice to know you don’t get the point of the chess match
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Mar 17, 12:41 AM

Jan 2020
Rockyjams909 said:
DarkSpaceVRP said:

Alright quit lying bro😭

im not lying it was a joke only, she is terrible
be happy
Mar 17, 12:41 AM

Jan 2020
ejleon said:
DarkSpaceVRP said:

what is the point then?
be happy
Mar 17, 12:42 AM

Jan 2020
Omarumba said:
Wow, what a talented chess player you are, you have no equal!!!!.

I'm not that well versed in chess, but the incredible level of play is clearly not what's needed in such an adaptation, after all, it's not a Chrono Monochrome type chess spokon. Oh and at the end of the day, LN has a good chess game.

the light novel may have had the best chess match in history, but the anime featured ridiculous chess.
be happy
Mar 17, 12:45 AM
Aug 2021
now we also have a chess pro judging the episode, what next? a basketball player talking about this?
Mar 17, 12:47 AM

Jan 2020
SuntProstMare said:
now we also have a chess pro judging the episode, what next? a basketball player talking about this?

If the story's climax were a basketball match, it would be coherent to have a basketball player evaluate it.
be happy
Mar 17, 12:54 AM

Apr 2021
DarkSpaceVRP said:
ejleon said:

what is the point then?

You figure it out genius
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Mar 17, 12:54 AM

Jan 2020
ejleon said:
DarkSpaceVRP said:

what is the point then?

You figure it out genius

u cant tell me or you just dont know?
be happy
Mar 17, 12:56 AM
Mar 2023
As far as i know chess matches in anime has always been meh, it's actually crazy how so many people are bothered by it also im pretty much a noob with 900 elo so i couldn't find blunders and tbh i don't even care the ep was really good and that's all that matters
Mar 17, 12:57 AM

Apr 2021
DarkSpaceVRP said:
ejleon said:

You figure it out genius

I know it wasn’t about the chess game

But can you tell me why though ?

Mar 17, 12:58 AM

Jan 2020
Suhail_Khan said:
As far as i know chess matches in anime has always been meh, it's actually crazy how so many people are bothered by it also im pretty much a noob with 900 elo so i couldn't find blunders and tbh i don't even care the ep was really good and that's all that matters

I agree with you, it has always been something not very prominent but the anime has been creating expectations for this match for a long time, chess appears in the opening, chess training appears and when the time of the match arrives it is a disappointment. but anime never really cared much about the quality of the match.
be happy
Mar 17, 12:59 AM

Jan 2020
ejleon said:
DarkSpaceVRP said:

"its not about the chess game"
"how you know?"
"trust me"
be happy
Mar 17, 1:06 AM
Mar 2023
DarkSpaceVRP said:
Suhail_Khan said:

I agree with you, it has always been something not very prominent but the anime has been creating expectations for this match for a long time, chess appears in the opening, chess training appears and when the time of the match arrives it is a disappointment. but anime never really cared much about the quality of the match.

I agree volume 11 is second best volume of 1st year. it was hyped and they could've put more efforts into it but i just really don't think it's any big issue
Mar 17, 1:13 AM

Apr 2021
DarkSpaceVRP said:
ejleon said:

"how you know?"
"trust me"

Nope … you failed

I knew you were full of it

You don’t get the scene at all

Mar 17, 1:16 AM
Jun 2023
If you only care about the chess match then just go read the light novel

I thought that the match had an amazing sequence to it and a great ost to back up, it also got the themes and the feeling of how the showdown should have gone right and that's what matters at the end of the day

Most viewers couldn't care less about the Tactics used in the match as long as they are correct and all of us who like the series are here for its characters
KidzunaMar 17, 4:56 AM
Mar 17, 1:41 AM
Nov 2022
DarkSpaceVRP said:
Antisocial-Weeb said:

I highly doubt that.

And why care so much about a chess match.

Do you just dislike Sakayanagi?

Buny0058Mar 17, 1:45 AM
Mar 17, 1:46 AM

Apr 2021
DarkSpaceVRP said:
ejleon said:

"how you know?"
"trust me"

So you have given up?

So not only are you arrogant, but you are a coward too

Mar 17, 1:59 AM
May 2021
rushed af adaptation
Mar 17, 2:16 AM

Jul 2020
I agree the actual moves were strange but this anime is not about chess so it doesn't really matter. What matters is how it conveyed the sense of Sakayanagi and Ayanokoji's wits and battle and in that regard I think it mostly succeeded.
Mar 17, 4:03 AM
Mar 2022
DarkSpaceVRP said:
The girl with white hair is like that kid who doesn't know how to play chess and thinks she knows what she's doing.

He is kind of right, I mean it doesn't take a Grandmaster to just go and Copy-Paste a fight between two engines or they have even Copy-Paste a YT Video that already have done that
Mar 17, 4:33 AM
Sep 2022
koji was also mid coz he relied on 1 move to win if he was that good he could have finished earlier
Mar 17, 4:33 AM
Sep 2022
koji was also mid coz he relied on 1 move to win if he was that good he could have finished earlier
Mar 17, 6:55 AM
Nov 2023
People really arguing about this 🧐
Didn’t know a chess game in an anime not about chess would be a problem 😂
Mar 17, 8:13 AM

Nov 2021
I mean the adaptation is already meh but
no point in complaining about the chess part tho imo.The scene is meant to show the wit battle between arisu and kiyotaka and I would say considering only that, they did it pretty well.

You will always find faults in the games played mostly in any anime tbh cause well....its anime it's hard to make it realistic while maintaining the genre it is situated in.
Mar 17, 8:41 AM
Jul 2022
DarkSpaceVRP said:

Man who cares about the chess thats not what this anime is centered on anyway the episode was good and thats what matters
AbeerJavedMar 17, 6:59 PM
Mar 17, 1:25 PM
Nov 2017
Let's make anime real life ok
Mar 17, 3:09 PM

Apr 2021
AbeerJaved said:
DarkSpaceVRP said:

Man who cares about the chess thats not what this anime is centered anyway the episode was good and thats what matters

Thank you for agreeing that the chess match wasn’t the important part of the story.

I tried explaining that to the original poster, but they acted like they already knew everything

Mar 17, 10:37 PM

Jul 2012
Reply to DarkSpaceVRP
@DarkSpaceVRP Nice to see someone raising this problem... and I have to agree with you, they really dropped the ball there.

I was watching the match with my brother, and we were kinda hyped about finally seeing the chess match of the Geniuses. But, oh boy, what disappointment.

It's not just Sakayanagi's plays; EVERYONE makes the WORST play possible every single time! Its mind-boggling really.

Every time the screen showed the board, we would pause and analise a bit the game, theorizing what play we would do in the situation; since we enjoy chess casually I though it would be a fun experience. But after resuming the video, the moves the people on screen would do were, at most, plain bad in our eyes. It didn't make any sense. So we picked some engines to simulate the board and analise it. Horikita and the Boy from class A, after the opening, they did some weak and bad plays, but when Ayanokouji and Sakayanagi stepped in, I saw the worst plays I ever saw in my life. And that was supposedly a game of "geniuses". Every move white would do would put black in a decisive position of advantage, but black would also do a brainless horrible move and revert the advantage. There was a move made by Ayanokouji that make white go from +9.16 of advantage to -4.60! It was so ridiculous that we couldn't do anything else but laugh.

In the last play Sakayanagi choose to sacrifice the queen (????) instead of going for the checkmate by capturing with the bishop, a thing that any amateur who isn't literally learning the rules would know better. In the whole game the ONLY move that actually helps the color who plays it is Ayanokouji last move, and it was the only viable move in that position.
Also the characters overplay it so much by saying things like "no one else would be capable of pulling a move like that" or "Ayanokouji (intercepted) move was even better that the ideal move" which is a bunch of lunacy and undermines the Suspension of Disbelief of the show.
I am not a expert by any means, but even amateurs just starting to pick up the game play better than that.

I wonder why the director even put the board and showed the moves to the audience in the first place. Did he not care enough or thought that no one would actually look at the game? In the novel the author didn't showed any notation of the actual game, and the scene still worked well enough.
It would be great to have a interesting game and actually show it in the anime, but what we got is something made to be ignored for the vast majority of the audience, and for those who appreciate chess and stop a bit to take notice of the game, a detestable mockery.
Mar 18, 4:58 AM
May 2020
I cant but laugh when people start complaining about stuff like this in anime. Its just like when people start crying and having a tantrum when piano playing isnt correct
Mar 18, 9:00 AM
Feb 2022
All fun and games mate till someone gets expelled for no reason.
Mar 19, 10:40 AM
Sep 2020
SuntProstMare said:

Kobe rising from the dead just to judge ep 11 whether or not Sudo should've made a triple double 💀💀💀
Mar 19, 10:41 AM
Sep 2020
DarkSpaceVRP said:
ejleon said:

You figure it out genius

just because a chess match was bad doesn't demean the anime you know ;)
Mar 19, 10:42 AM
Sep 2020
it's like Gordon Ramsay saying that the anime is shit because the mc doesn't know how to cook a risotto 💀
melody_melon23Mar 19, 10:46 AM
Mar 19, 10:45 AM
Sep 2020
AbeerJaved said:
DarkSpaceVRP said:

Man who cares about the chess thats not what this anime is centered on anyway the episode was good and thats what matters

the most chad user in all of MAL:
Mar 19, 10:48 AM
Sep 2020
provec said:
I cant but laugh when people start complaining about stuff like this in anime. Its just like when people start crying and having a tantrum when piano playing isnt correct

literally? just because they haven't showed ayanokoji farting in Chapter 75, they will complain how bad the anime is 🤣🤣
Mar 20, 4:44 AM

May 2021
What kind of complaint is this lmao

Mar 20, 8:16 AM
Aug 2022
Reply to Antisocial-Weeb
@Antisocial-Weeb iirc they barely even show or specifically describe what kinda moves they use in the LN lol it's just more like the general situation of the match
Mar 20, 10:32 AM

Oct 2010
To introduce a good match into a novel you need to be good yourself. Or have good player to consult you.
But why those who play at 9000 elo would write this kind of LN or consult author for nominal (considering value of their time) compensation?
And who beside two of you would appreciate that level of play?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 3rd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 10

124 by Gator »»
Today, 5:15 AM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 3rd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 3

205 by Gator »»
Today, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 3rd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 6

119 by Epiroogu »»
Jun 23, 12:18 PM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 3rd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 14

101 by Epiroogu »»
Jun 23, 5:25 AM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 3rd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 27

195 by Sajidmhs »»
Jun 21, 11:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.