Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2023 2:43 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
The solution to the riddle was very convoluted, especially for non-Japanese viewers. I don't like when word games in other languages are such vital clues for the case. Though I guess it isn't such a valid critique when it is made mainly for Japanese audiences. Not much happens in regards to the overall storyline unfortunately. Hopefully the next canon case isn't too far off.
Aug 12, 2023 3:26 PM

Mar 2020
It's not often we get to see Haibara happy, it was wholesome to see her cheer up for once
Joe, Joe Forever....
Aug 13, 2023 8:40 PM
Feb 2015
The silver bullet is not only a bullet of justice, but also the bullet that will put all members of the Black Organization behind bars including their boss for all those horrible things they did including killing Haibara/ Miyano Shiho's older sister Miyano Akemi so Haibara/ Miyano Shiho gets the justice she deserves from her older sister and parents' murder death. There's three currently, Kudo Shinichi/ Edogawa Conan, Akai Shuichi, and Furuya Rei/ Tooru Amuro/ Bourbon. Also, that sushi guy is not what he seems to be. You guys already saw Haibara's "Black Organization sense" when she felt like somebody is watching her. Manga readers, I'm sure we already know who is second in command of the Black Organization Rum.
Aug 13, 2023 11:26 PM

Jul 2008
Hello Rum....

Ai better hide that picture.
Aug 14, 2023 2:56 AM
Feb 2013
Dunno if that was a translation error or did that guy who checked Akemi's appartement really say "it looked like she hasn't been there in days"? She literally died 25 years ago. Is the show trying to sell to us that only a few days have passed? lol
Aug 14, 2023 3:47 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Dete said:
Dunno if that was a translation error or did that guy who checked Akemi's appartement really say "it looked like she hasn't been there in days"? She literally died 25 years ago. Is the show trying to sell to us that only a few days have passed? lol
That bugged me too. It was probably a translation error. The scan of the manga chapter I found translates it to "in a very long time".
Aug 15, 2023 10:54 PM

Dec 2010
anime-prime said:
Dete said:
That bugged me too. It was probably a translation error. The scan of the manga chapter I found translates it to "in a very long time".

Don't think it was a translation error as that's what the dub is saying. も何日も帰ってね感じだったからよ。

I would assume the guy just didn't know that Akemi was dead for years and just thought she was gone for days.

Interesting episode, got to see happy Haibara and we got Rum and the sus sensei to show up again.
Aug 16, 2023 9:09 AM

Jan 2017
Dete said:
She literally died 25 years ago. Is the show trying to sell to us that only a few days have passed?
booyah10 said:
just didn't know that Akemi was dead for years

The whole story take place in less than a year.

One of the producer of the Anime estimated it to be 8 months or so in 2017.
But in 2018 (Around the release of Chapter 1000) , Gosho said around 6 months in an interview.
Alexioos95Aug 16, 2023 9:13 AM
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Aug 19, 2023 8:09 AM
Jan 2022
Dete said:
Akemi didn't die 25 years ago tho
Aug 20, 2023 12:29 AM
Feb 2013
Ele1603 said:
Dete said:
Akemi didn't die 25 years ago tho
She died in episode 135 which aired in 1998, which was 25 years ago. Sure the manga chapter released in 1994 so she died almost 30 years ago. It's just a bit odd if they claim she died a few days ago with that in mind, should have just said something unspecific like "she hasn't been home in a long time".
Aug 21, 2023 9:33 AM
Aug 2018
Maybe I missed something but... Why would the time capsule have a message for Haibara (Shiho) ? It's not like Akemi could have predicted her sister would take the drugs to get young again, and then attend the same school, be there on a day-off to take care of the rabbits and would attend a party reserved to people who had graduated 13 years ago ?

I'm not going to comment on how "dumb" the three adults were to "believe" that Akemi would write something bad on them and wait 13 years ago to reveal that someone copied on her once (!) Amazing. And I'm not going to comment on how, if the firefighter knew Akemi would not be at the meeting, they could just not read her timecapsule or whatever. 

Also, I noticed, seems like the author knows the recent case are subpar (I mean, come one, we are 1100 episodes, and we have cases from this level instead of actually resolving some stuff with the black organization), so he had to conclude the episode with ten seconds of Rum... Why not make a good episode instead ? FBI episode were really bad and this one seems like a filler (I mean, come on, you're telling me the adult guy would remember what Shiho looked by seeing her once in a picture 13 years ago (and her name) ? I know it's all about "fake tension" but please, if we were on the 150 episodes, ok, but we're way past that.

Hopefully, author will end detective conan soon, before he has nothing interesting left to write about. I can guarantee you, just rewatch the 120 first episodes (or even 500), they were so much better... 
Rukodaime91Aug 21, 2023 9:37 AM
Aug 24, 2023 4:30 AM
Jun 2021
Rukodaime91 said:
Maybe I missed something but... Why would the time capsule have a message for Haibara (Shiho) ? It's not like Akemi could have predicted her sister would take the drugs to get young again, and then attend the same school, be there on a day-off to take care of the rabbits and would attend a party reserved to people who had graduated 13 years ago ?

I'm not going to comment on how "dumb" the three adults were to "believe" that Akemi would write something bad on them and wait 13 years ago to reveal that someone copied on her once (!) Amazing. And I'm not going to comment on how, if the firefighter knew Akemi would not be at the meeting, they could just not read her timecapsule or whatever. 

Also, I noticed, seems like the author knows the recent case are subpar (I mean, come one, we are 1100 episodes, and we have cases from this level instead of actually resolving some stuff with the black organization), so he had to conclude the episode with ten seconds of Rum... Why not make a good episode instead ? FBI episode were really bad and this one seems like a filler (I mean, come on, you're telling me the adult guy would remember what Shiho looked by seeing her once in a picture 13 years ago (and her name) ? I know it's all about "fake tension" but please, if we were on the 150 episodes, ok, but we're way past that.

Shiho's mother was not japanese. And as stated by Conan in an episode, she doesn't look like Japanese. If you meet your friend's sister whose appearance is really noticeable, you can remember that said face 13 years later (and Ai has that problem in her life as well since every body in the organisation knows her kid's face, luckily for her the only ones that found out are dead (Pisco), neutral (Vermouth) or on the "good" side (Bourbon).

Haibara's presence is a coincidence, but Akemi probably thought to take her sister with her for that ceremony so her friend could meet her sister. It's not the first time Akemi did that after all, she did that with her mother's recording in a different case, promising to come back with her sister... but died before she could.

And about this episode being "filler", remember Akemi is linked to many characters in the series and her death is one of their reason to fight against the Organisation (mainly Akai Shuichi and Conan). There are many things we don't know about her, making her an interesting character to follow once in a while.
Aug 24, 2023 4:38 AM
Jun 2021
Rukodaime91 said:
Hopefully, author will end detective conan soon, before he has nothing interesting left to write about. I can guarantee you, just rewatch the 120 first episodes (or even 500), they were so much better...

Yeah, like writing a storyline where we viewers/readers know who Rum is, but Conan doesn't is not interesting. It's so boring to have that, when Gosho has done that... wait he never did that actually. Boooriiiing *sarcasm* But let's say it's fake tension or Gosho has no idea left or whatever.

By the way, since you're mentionning early episodes, the Haneda Koji cases started in episode 129 with his first mention. Attentiv viewers (don't worry I'm not one of them ahah) could have remembered that when Haneda Shukichi first appeared.
Aug 24, 2023 9:07 AM
Aug 2018
Groudonvert, I appreciate the reply. 
1/ About the fact that they will remember Shiho's name : Appreciate the explanation, sure, the fact she is not "Japanese" could help remember her. But, we're talking about 7 years old child having to remember a name for 13 years from someone they never met. The reality is that, as a child, you will almost forget everything of your childhood. I'm sure, 99% of adult who are above 20, can not name a single name of their childhood friend or teacher when they were seven. A quick research show that people will forget almost everything of their childhood. I don't remember anything in term of name myself. 
Let's be honest, the only reason this scene exist, is to have a fake tension moment with someone randomly blurting out the real name of Shiho. Even the author was probably ashamed of using this "tactic" since he had to admit it was ridiculous to think that this girl could be shiho because she looked kinda like the same as a 13 years old picture. 

I'm just saying, having haibara being afraid of the black organisation because of "feeling" is starting to get old after 900 hundred episodes... 

2/ I have never heard of people going back to their elementary school thirteen years later, so, maybe it's something they do in Japan but not Europe, and I don't think you're supposed to bring your sister. In any case, Akemi was aware Shiho would be sent to the organization. Kinda hard to believe she would write a letter hoping that, somehow, she would be able to meet her and go together to a reunion just so she can show her a picture written 13 years ago ? (especially a letter written as if she knew she would not be alive). 

I'll just sum up : 99% of the episode doesn't make any sense from a logical point. From the fact someone would remember a name from 13 years ago, from the fact Akemi would have written a letter to her sister when she's not supposed to be there (and if Akemi would still be alive, the letter would be pointless), the whole set-up is ridiculous with three adults thinking Akemi would write something as dumb as "they cheated" to criticize 7 years old 13 years later, to having an firefighter pretend someone would have been stupid enough they would write random hiragana in 5 different location (I'm not sure when the writing down is supposed to have taken place) just because he was afraid that his firecracker would have somehow burnt part of the school when it was not the case at all. 

In the recent FBI case, there was so many stuff which didn't make any sense... 

So, yeah, for me, Gosho has no idea left. Hopefully, he will end it soon, so we can end on a positive note. I have watched twice all non-filler episode before the 500 hundred episodes, so, I know Conan was much better than that in the past. I'll go so far to argue than just the 07 episode of detective conan (Once-A-Month Present Threat Case) is 100* better than the black organisation scheme 1077-1079. And obviously, episode 129 was one of the best episode of detective conan. Hopefully, we will get some episode of the same quality soon. 
Rukodaime91Aug 24, 2023 9:15 AM
Aug 24, 2023 11:29 AM
Jun 2021
Rukodaime91 said:
Groudonvert, I appreciate the reply. 
1/ About the fact that they will remember Shiho's name : Appreciate the explanation, sure, the fact she is not "Japanese" could help remember her. But, we're talking about 7 years old child having to remember a name for 13 years from someone they never met. The reality is that, as a child, you will almost forget everything of your childhood. I'm sure, 99% of adult who are above 20, can not name a single name of their childhood friend or teacher when they were seven. A quick research show that people will forget almost everything of their childhood. I don't remember anything in term of name myself. 
Let's be honest, the only reason this scene exist, is to have a fake tension moment with someone randomly blurting out the real name of Shiho. Even the author was probably ashamed of using this "tactic" since he had to admit it was ridiculous to think that this girl could be shiho because she looked kinda like the same as a 13 years old picture. 

I'm just saying, having haibara being afraid of the black organisation because of "feeling" is starting to get old after 900 hundred episodes... 

2/ I have never heard of people going back to their elementary school thirteen years later, so, maybe it's something they do in Japan but not Europe, and I don't think you're supposed to bring your sister. In any case, Akemi was aware Shiho would be sent to the organization. Kinda hard to believe she would write a letter hoping that, somehow, she would be able to meet her and go together to a reunion just so she can show her a picture written 13 years ago ? (especially a letter written as if she knew she would not be alive). 

I'll just sum up : 99% of the episode doesn't make any sense from a logical point. From the fact someone would remember a name from 13 years ago, from the fact Akemi would have written a letter to her sister when she's not supposed to be there (and if Akemi would still be alive, the letter would be pointless), the whole set-up is ridiculous with three adults thinking Akemi would write something as dumb as "they cheated" to criticize 7 years old 13 years later, to having an firefighter pretend someone would have been stupid enough they would write random hiragana in 5 different location (I'm not sure when the writing down is supposed to have taken place) just because he was afraid that his firecracker would have somehow burnt part of the school when it was not the case at all. 

In the recent FBI case, there was so many stuff which didn't make any sense... 

So, yeah, for me, Gosho has no idea left. Hopefully, he will end it soon, so we can end on a positive note. I have watched twice all non-filler episode before the 500 hundred episodes, so, I know Conan was much better than that in the past. I'll go so far to argue than just the 07 episode of detective conan (Once-A-Month Present Threat Case) is 100* better than the black organisation scheme 1077-1079. And obviously, episode 129 was one of the best episode of detective conan. Hopefully, we will get some episode of the same quality soon. 

Since Akemi had a huge impact on all of them for the short time she was there, it's normal they didn't forget her, even after 13 years. It's the same for James Black who probably never met Akemi, but stated he will never forget her name. Akemi had a huge impact on every people she met during her life. More importantly, Akemi (and Shiho) are Akai's cousin by their respective mother. They are linked to the main story (most canon episodes are in some ways).

By the way, have you ever have a class reunion (like Kogoro in the early episodes) ? Like 10 years afterward ? Or 20 years ? A time capsule is just a reason added so the class will meet again later.

Conan less clever than before ? Are you forgetting that he tried multiple times to stop the organisation with unprepared plans ? He nearly killed Kogoro in episode 425 with his unpreparations and his confrontation with Vermouth in episode 345 could have turned very badly if she wasn't so fond of him. That's where he finally stopped to be careless with them and comes with a really tricky and careful plan plan that took 300 episodes to clear out (yes I'm talking about Akai's fake death).

The FBi cases helped us viewers to understand that Rum is not as clumsy and idiot like he seems to be in his everyday life with Kogoro. He's a capable strategist and analyst (at the same level of Conan, maybe higher). The next confrontation reveals his full potential as the biggest threat Conan ever has to face... and remember that, for now, Conan is clueless about Rum's identity.
Aug 24, 2023 12:37 PM
Jun 2021
Since I answered to this topic with my memories from the manga (so a few years ago lol) and I finally watched the 2 episodes earlier, I can add a few things.

The guy remembers Shiho because he's from the Uchiha Clan and has the Sharingan... wait... (Obviously I'm joking, but he's voiced by Noriaki Sugiyama, Sasuke Uchiha's Seiyu).

More seriously, him remembering Shiho is maybe a coincidence, but he calls Haibara Shiho in front of Rumi Wakasa. A really suspicious woman that nobody should easily trusts (in one of her first case, she let the culprit kills his boyfriend) that is linked in some way or another with the Black Organisation (she was watching Rum go home at the end of the episode and has the list of the person killed by the Apotoxine) and is also linked to Koji Haneda's death (she has a Shogi Piece and has some memories about him). So now, this clearly suspicious person has some intel about Haibara's real identity.

As some of you guys, I'm not a fan of this type of cases (even if the culprit was obvious lol), but most of the cases in Rum's arc are linked to the main story in some ways. And I'm really impressed on how Gosho is able to link all the characters together in some ways. So "Gosho has no idea left" is far from the truth as well as we're closed to the end of the story. Sure it's the one-before-last arc, but there are so many storylines that are far from closed, so I don't think we will see the end before at least 10 years.
Aug 26, 2023 11:55 PM
Sep 2017
AkaiWaZ said:
It's not often we get to see Haibara happy, it was wholesome to see her cheer up for once

But just like every other case she bounces back real quick to scaredy rabbit
Aug 27, 2023 12:03 AM
Sep 2017
Dete said:

Bruh the invitation he sent was still on her mail box, like she never really opened the invitation so she wouldn’t show up there.

Though, I don’t understand the loophole it gave. She is dead, but it never made it to the news because Haibara said that it was reported that the body was given as unrecognizable.

But we got a flash back of the fire guy dude seen her body laid down as of dead, so idk, makes no sense, and then at the End Conan goes on to reveal that she everyone knew she was dead or that she wouldn’t make it, as if implying that she was dead.

So….

I’m dumbfounded or the episode is taking me for dumb… idk.

Honestly though. The characters never age, the show probably is still playing in the same school year that shinichi got resized back to an elementary school kid. It talks a little about spring in the canon episodes… but he don’t see an opening ceremony for a new school year thought the entire 1000 episodes so I guess idk.

Maybe she was indeed still alive behind the fourth wall, at about 6m-1year within the show timeframe. But with 1000+ episodes or about 800 canon-wise it’s still at least 2-3 years of cases or if we count multi-episode cases, being generous, it’s still about 600+ cabin cases so just about 2 years.

Like I said, timeframe in this show is just non-existent
Akarichan_desuAug 27, 2023 12:06 AM
Sep 3, 2023 1:34 PM

Dec 2015
The audacity and media illiteracy required to say that Akemi died 25 years ago LMFAO.

>implying Ran is currently 41/42 y.o.

Guys, it's a floating timeline.
AuRomulSep 3, 2023 1:57 PM
Sep 9, 2023 8:50 PM

Apr 2016
Ai reading the letter was sweet, if only that moment could have been let alone without her having to go through another "someone is watching me" attack.

The rest just happened, I guess.
Sep 15, 2023 11:29 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
great love message!! kekeke
Sep 16, 2023 10:42 AM

Dec 2015
Even back then Akemi was too smart for her own good. She had a contigency plan and the code was awesome. I wonder what they would've done if the keyboard wasn't there anymore though. I was spot on for Gaku and Seiko but Shou's painting was actually his own. Oh well.

And to think that they assumed that Akemi was out for the necks all this time. Glad Conan set them straight and reassured them that she wouldn't do something like that.

あの写真超かわいい。明美の手紙。。。感動したT_T。灰原の黒ずくめの組織センサーが完璧だ。コナンはRUMの存在気付かなかった。いつ気づくのかな?
Oct 2, 2023 7:40 AM

Mar 2011
Ha ha, their "secrets" were so obvious. Akemi's code was really clever and it ensured it would still be able to be solved after 13 years. I kind of knew something was off when the guy went on the latter for the piece of this code. Like how could she even do that all by herself? Of course she wouldn't expose any of her friends. This episode was really moving. Especially her words to Shiho ♥

I'm just wondering about one thing... Isn't it common in Japan to dissolve an apartment after a person passed away? Why could he find her letter box which wasn't emptied (and didn't anyone move into her apartment after that? Even if we believe everything in this show happened within a time frame of six months, that's unusual). If it was explained before please forgive my goldfish memory for not remembering after some hundred episodes :S

But this had to end with Ai having another panic attack and of course it was Rum! :/

I really enjoyed these episodes focusing on Ai and on Akemi.
Wildflower3Oct 2, 2023 7:43 AM
You're the light shining over The black and gloomy nights
So long I've been waiting To run into your arms
Oh, my only one desire You're the one I need
Through the thousand years ~ Evermore

"Midnight Sun" by AleXa

Dec 24, 2023 8:17 AM
Mar 2018
A lovely tale of two sisters. <3 The many flashbacks of young Akemi and her messages to the class and to Shiho are real tearjerkers. The coincidence that she just so happened to go to this school is a little hard to swallow, but once you're past that the story just gets you.

Chilling after-credits scene!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Meitantei Conan Episode 1123 Discussion

hai_X_is - Yesterday

4 by hai_X_is »»
Today, 6:36 AM

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 317 Discussion

IntroverTurtle - Nov 27, 2013

9 by KoniginElle »»
Today, 1:15 AM

Poll: » Meitantei Conan Episode 1122 Discussion

hai_X_is - May 4

6 by Ranxomare »»
Today, 1:04 AM

Sticky: » Detective Conan Anime FAQ / Feel free to ask questions! [Spoiler-free] ( 1 2 3 )

Mayuka - Feb 2, 2015

134 by Fronzel »»
Yesterday, 9:39 PM

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 316 Discussion

IntroverTurtle - Nov 27, 2013

5 by KoniginElle »»
May 9, 11:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.