Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 30, 2023 3:22 AM
May 2023
RandomPerson9348 said:
Sichlitt said:
You seem to have missed the part of the post where I explained that I did not appeal to legality in and of itself. I used my own MORAL arguments and gave legal examples to show those beliefs in practice.
Mental illness is of course a valid defense to murder, because to make someone accountable for a crime they must show the necessary mens rea of intent. You can't condemn a person for being taken advantage of when they literally don't even know where they are and can't think properly. If you do then you're supporting exploitation and manipulation.

"If you do then you're supporting exploitation and manipulation."

"If you disagree with this post then you don't understand how consent works and I'm concerned for the women in your life."

I would look up the definition of manipulation before calling someone out. Because saying that someone is inherently bad and supports bad things because they disagree with you is a peak example of it.

There's one or two people in this thread who are genuinely willing to have a conversation with you, but you would rather call names and tell them that they are bad people because they aren't licking your boots.

Maybe if you tried to be a little less self-absorbed and narcissistic, you would stop trying to protect a character who was written to be the definition of evil. If the writer himself believed that Griffith deserved anything less than the worst fate possible, then the story would be a whole lot different.
It's not manipulative or hypocritical to say someone doesn't care about consent when they demonstraby haven't cared about consent in this instance.
May 30, 2023 3:41 AM
May 2023
PeripheralVision said:
Sichlitt said:
Wrong. The idea of evil explains to Griffith that his human compassion and affective empathy has been artificially stripped from him by the transformation:

"All their deaths are piercing through me! How STRANGE, I can't feel anything! What's this?"
"The last tear you will ever shed."

Griffith's heart is "frozen" and he is SURPRISED because the God Hand never told him of this aspect of the transformation and he did NOT consent to lose his humanity in this way. Griffith can't be accountable for this loss of empathy.

The God Hand DO explain to the Count that the transformation will "shed any last remnants of his humanity" indicating that the strength of the transformation and its psyche-altering effects are magnified by a compounding number of sacrifices. The more the bodies, the stronger the effect will be.

Griffith goes to the hill of swords to see if he really didn't feel anything towards the deaths of his men, and when it's confirmed that he doesn't, he proclaims that he's "FINALLY free", indicating that he's lost empathy that was once there.

THIS is how it is thematically relevant to his character arc. He finally embodies his persona of apathy that he had tried and failed to project during the Golden Age arc, and nothing is left except the spite he feels towards Guts. He always saw his empathy as his fatal flaw, and Femto raping Casca shows the consequences of the pursuit of such a toxically masculine ideal for the people around you.
Except that removing the human intent render his malevolence as not only less than human, but makes him less of a character with any sort of agency. To me, saying that Griffith was essentially "mind-controlled" and void of any and all culpability, or however you want to put it as makes him a fumdanetal non-character. To me, this makes his character and the journey he took far less engaging than it otherwise would be.

There is a reason I bring up Brightburn in a comparison with Homelander from The Boys. Brandon is less engaging as a character once you remove any semblance of agency that Homelander does. So it of course depends on your interpretation, but any interpretation that voids both Griffith and Femto of any wrongdoing by issue of these fundamentally changes is fundamentally erroneous, if I understand your point. Maybe I do not. 

It could be that you are saying we should hate Femto instead then? To me, that position actually has some semblance of sense; however, if Griffith willingly gave up his humanity in the way that you describe, than that still makes him culpable for what Femto did, especially if you consider his feelings towards Guts to be something he never handled in a healthy manner. Which well...we see how that turned out. This is essentially Griffith putting himself under the influence of a supernatural drug. You could perhaps argue a drunk driver never intended to get into an accident, but it was reckless all the same. Griffith should by your interpretation be reckless and selfish.

Though to bring it back to the Eclipse and the killing themselves, I would not say consent is what you think it is. First and foremost, Griffith hearing that his men consent from people other than his men is complete rubbish. Consent is something that you have to hear out of the horse's mouth. I would also argue that the Band of Hawks loyalty to "die" for Griffith should not be taken to be applicable in every circumstance. There is a big difference between dying in battle and being torn apart by demons, something that Griffith was definitely aware of. You could argue that Griffith did not see the difference, and to be fair both are not pleasant ways to go. However, his men certainly did, and most anyone would understand that there is some difference in opinion here, just as there is a difference between a battle and a massacre. This is made all the more potent by their culture at the time regarding conflict and death.

Necessity is not considered a defense towards murder, and this goes back to the case of R v Dudley and Stephens, which seems to be more relevant here than whatever mentall illness you want to ascribe towards Griffith. I say this for a number of reasons.

1. Griffith was given foreknowledge of his life if he did not make the Eclipse. He was alive. 
2. Because of number #1, we could then determine that the choice was between becoming a member of the Godhand and not a member, rather than whatever lack of consent you want to ascribe to Griffith.
3. Because of #1 Griffith was therefore not threatened by the Godhand, but tempted and manipulated.

I do not know about you, but if someone has to kill hundreds of people to be restored to their former health, then that makes them a murderer. At least with Dudley and Stephens, they were faced with the prospect of literally starving to death, which I consider of far greater imminence than what Griffith was going through. You could argue that temptation and manipulation would have made Griffith not complicit in the Eclipse, but the important part was that he made that choice. Simply being told things from otherwordly beings did not fully eclipse Griffith culpability, especially if a driving force was also his need to spite Guts for his "betrayal". Are we also going to ignore the fact that Griffith attempted to rape Casca pre-eclipse after being rescued?

It is a pitiable choice, but still something considered wrong. To me, Griffith engaging in this is him reasserting his power over others, something that has been a discussion on the cultural value of sex for quite awhile. To which I want to address you. There is a reason why I quoted this line of yours from that video.

This unhinged, vitrolic hate frothing at the mouth for Griffith keeps them from appreciating how well-written Berserk is
Many people dislike and hate Griffith for what he has done while still thinking he is one of the most well-written characters in fiction. I say this because at your age, I was a know-it-all too who had difficulty understanding the opinions of others, and honestly? Maybe we will always disagree on this topic, and that much is fine. However, I do urge you to at least be cognizant of how condescending you and I could be. A good point to keep in mind is to discredit the position, but minimize any and all assumptions about the people who hold them, at least the negative ones.

I think Griffith is a well-written character, and I hate him. Those two are not mutually incompatible. To give you advice, i would say that instead of saying "appreciating how well-written Berserk is", appreciating the more nuance parts of Griffiths' arc might be better. The former implies that you, a 19 year old is somehow alone in "understanding" Berserk. Please understand how you are coming across to others.

I also want to address this portion.

Sichlitt said:
If you disagree with this post then you don't understand how consent works and I'm concerned for the women in your life.

Do you not understand what you are implying here when you make a statement like this? Am I a rapist for disagreeing over you over the culpability of a fictional character in a work as complex as Berserk?

Sichlitt said:
You can't condemn a person for being taken advantage of when they literally don't even know where they are and can't think properly. If you do then you're supporting exploitation and manipulation.

Mental illness is a pretty broad category of mental health issues. Not everyone who has depression is completely broken from reality that some people with paranoid schizophrenia are, just like borderline personality disorders. I say this because this part and your video on legality touch on two very, very complex areas that I am certainly no expert in myself. The law and mental health. I am sorry if it appears that I am condescending to you, but I speak from experience as both a former 19 year old and a still self-centered 27 year old who makes these mistakes all the time. I think you possibly meant "psychotic disorder", which is what you seem to be referring to in the original post here.

If you are curious, I do have a response for that by the way on what Griffith was experiencing was not the same as a psychotic disorder.

It is very difficult to know what we do not know. I do not know how little I know about the law because I am not in the legal profession, and I doubt you are as well.

I am also worried that you included a video on a Jordan Peterson AI, though I have to even begin watching it.
PeripheralVision said:
Except that removing the human intent render his malevolence as not only less than human, but makes him less of a character with any sort of agency. To me, saying that Griffith was essentially "mind-controlled" and void of any and all culpability, or however you want to put it as makes him a fumdanetal non-character. To me, this makes his character and the journey he took far less engaging than it otherwise would be.

There is a reason I bring up Brightburn in a comparison with Homelander from The Boys. Brandon is less engaging as a character once you remove any semblance of agency that Homelander does. So it of course depends on your interpretation, but any interpretation that voids both Griffith and Femto of any wrongdoing by issue of these fundamentally changes is fundamentally erroneous, if I understand your point. Maybe I do not. 

It could be that you are saying we should hate Femto instead then? To me, that position actually has some semblance of sense; however, if Griffith willingly gave up his humanity in the way that you describe, than that still makes him culpable for what Femto did, especially if you consider his feelings towards Guts to be something he never handled in a healthy manner. Which well...we see how that turned out. This is essentially Griffith putting himself under the influence of a supernatural drug. You could perhaps argue a drunk driver never intended to get into an accident, but it was reckless all the same. Griffith should by your interpretation be reckless and selfish.

Though to bring it back to the Eclipse and the killing themselves, I would not say consent is what you think it is. First and foremost, Griffith hearing that his men consent from people other than his men is complete rubbish. Consent is something that you have to hear out of the horse's mouth. I would also argue that the Band of Hawks loyalty to "die" for Griffith should not be taken to be applicable in every circumstance. There is a big difference between dying in battle and being torn apart by demons, something that Griffith was definitely aware of. You could argue that Griffith did not see the difference, and to be fair both are not pleasant ways to go. However, his men certainly did, and most anyone would understand that there is some difference in opinion here, just as there is a difference between a battle and a massacre. This is made all the more potent by their culture at the time regarding conflict and death.

Necessity is not considered a defense towards murder, and this goes back to the case of R v Dudley and Stephens, which seems to be more relevant here than whatever mentall illness you want to ascribe towards Griffith. I say this for a number of reasons.

1. Griffith was given foreknowledge of his life if he did not make the Eclipse. He was alive. 
2. Because of number #1, we could then determine that the choice was between becoming a member of the Godhand and not a member, rather than whatever lack of consent you want to ascribe to Griffith.
3. Because of #1 Griffith was therefore not threatened by the Godhand, but tempted and manipulated.

I do not know about you, but if someone has to kill hundreds of people to be restored to their former health, then that makes them a murderer. At least with Dudley and Stephens, they were faced with the prospect of literally starving to death, which I consider of far greater imminence than what Griffith was going through. You could argue that temptation and manipulation would have made Griffith not complicit in the Eclipse, but the important part was that he made that choice. Simply being told things from otherwordly beings did not fully eclipse Griffith culpability, especially if a driving force was also his need to spite Guts for his "betrayal". Are we also going to ignore the fact that Griffith attempted to rape Casca pre-eclipse after being rescued?

It is a pitiable choice, but still something considered wrong. To me, Griffith engaging in this is him reasserting his power over others, something that has been a discussion on the cultural value of sex for quite awhile. To which I want to address you. There is a reason why I quoted this line of yours from that video.

Many people dislike and hate Griffith for what he has done while still thinking he is one of the most well-written characters in fiction. I say this because at your age, I was a know-it-all too who had difficulty understanding the opinions of others, and honestly? Maybe we will always disagree on this topic, and that much is fine. However, I do urge you to at least be cognizant of how condescending you and I could be. A good point to keep in mind is to discredit the position, but minimize any and all assumptions about the people who hold them, at least the negative ones.

I think Griffith is a well-written character, and I hate him. Those two are not mutually incompatible. To give you advice, i would say that instead of saying "appreciating how well-written Berserk is", appreciating the more nuance parts of Griffiths' arc might be better. The former implies that you, a 19 year old is somehow alone in "understanding" Berserk. Please understand how you are coming across to others.

I also want to address this portion.

Do you not understand what you are implying here when you make a statement like this? Am I a rapist for disagreeing over you over the culpability of a fictional character in a work as complex as Berserk?

Mental illness is a pretty broad category of mental health issues. Not everyone who has depression is completely broken from reality that some people with paranoid schizophrenia are, just like borderline personality disorders. I say this because this part and your video on legality touch on two very, very complex areas that I am certainly no expert in myself. The law and mental health. I am sorry if it appears that I am condescending to you, but I speak from experience as both a former 19 year old and a still self-centered 27 year old who makes these mistakes all the time. I think you possibly meant "psychotic disorder", which is what you seem to be referring to in the original post here.

If you are curious, I do have a response for that by the way on what Griffith was experiencing was not the same as a psychotic disorder.

It is very difficult to know what we do not know. I do not know how little I know about the law because I am not in the legal profession, and I doubt you are as well.

I am also worried that you included a video on a Jordan Peterson AI, though I have to even begin watching it.
1. He does retain his agency cos he retains all of the spiteful feelings he felt towards Guts before, just without the empathy and compassion to keep it in check. What's more, you can't appeal to how "that makes Berserk bad" as an argument. You have to explain in-universe why I'm wrong. Maybe you on't think Berserk is that good then. Griffith losing his agency ties in thematically cos the entire point is that he gave in to fate and causality unlike Guts who has free will.
2.Griffith did not willingly give up his humanity like I said. The God Hand never told him that effect of the transformation and he was surprised when it happened. Therefore he is not accountable for getting into that state (especially considering his hallucinogenic state) and so he does not fit the criteria of VOLUNTARY INHIBITION that would make a drunk person accountable for any action they'd take while under the influence.
3. Consent can be secondhand if you're being confronted with beings that can literally read minds and have demonstrated that already. There's no human definition of consent that can account for seemingly omniscient eldritch beings that can read minds. I never said the Hawks actually consented to be sacrificed.
4. He was not given foreknowledge of his life if he didn't agree to the Eclipse. That was a dream he conjured up himself after overhearing Casca say that she'd leave Guts to look after Griffith. The God Hand only INTRUDED on that with the Behelit. The God Hand told Griffith that if he didn't pile up the corpses, HE would become a corpse. That can be reasonably interpreted as a threat. A disabled person isn't a CORPSE.
5. Griffith did not try to rape Casca in the wagon. For one, the motivations don’t align with the Eclipse. Here, Casca is used as an object, a sword, to hurt Guts, where Griffith pays no attention to her perception while he stares at Guts the entire time. What she thinks doesn’t matter at all in that moment. That’s the thematic climax of both their arcs. Casca is finally viewed how she wants to be viewed by Griffith, albeit in a twisted and ironic way.
This is in stark contrast to the wagon scene, where Griffith’s primary motivation was Casca’s positive perception of him. You see, Griffith’s self esteem always leaned on his ability to be appealing to and comfort the women around him. This is seen in the multiple instances where he is able to ease Casca’s anxiety with a single embrace, and this idea is very prevalent in this scene, as Casca had a flashback to it just before Griffith made the advance. Now, Casca is trembling again, but her anxiety can’t be eased by Griffith’s touch because he is too frail and weak to be a strong presence for her.
Griffith notices this, and makes this advance as a desperate attempt to show he could still comfort her and was still strong, FOR HER. Griffith feels powerful in his ability to EASE Casca’s anxiety so easily.
This is why Griffith stops as soon as Casca says no. He wouldn’t want her to see him as a rapist. He wants to be seen as being useful for her.
Any claim that Griffith did this to spite Guts is ridiculous cos Guts isn’t even there and it’s obvious that Casca isn’t leaving Griffith anyway.
The audience doesn’t even interpret it as rape until it’s falsely recontextualised by the Eclipse.
May 30, 2023 3:43 AM
May 2023
kei-xh said:
Sichlitt said:
THIS POST CONTAINS MASSIVE SPOILERS SO IF YOU DON'T LIKE THAT, DON'T READ AHEAD.

I genuinely don't understand how people can condemn human Griffith for anything he did.

With regards to the sacrifice in the Eclipse, I'm going to be using the concept of INFORMED CONSENT to explain why Griffith did nothing wrong.

The sacrifice in the Eclipse was an agreement to a CONTRACT, and not everybody can give informed consent to those kinds of bargains. In law today, MENTALLY ILL people are unable to consent to contracts and cannot be made accountable for their consequences (I'm using legal arguments as examples of my MORAL beliefs in PRACTICE so please don't start talking about how legality =/= morality, as I'm sure you'd all agree that this law is good in that it protects vulnerable accepting parties from exploitation). This is because mentally ill people lack the capacity to fully comprehend their actions and the consequences of forming a contract.

To be more specific, not every mental illness can or should qualify as a defense. Personality disorders such as BPD and psychopathy do not qualify, because they still possess all of their faculties and are able to understand their actions and show clear intent. Mental illnesses that impede on a person's ability to perceive reality and give informed consent/intent however can ABSOLUTELY be used as a defense to absolve accountability.

This applies SOUNDLY to Griffith. 

This is a man who had just endured an entire year of ceaseless mental and physical torture in the Wyndham dungeon, being deprived of basic human necessities like sunlight or sufficient food and water. He was branded, flailed, whipped, boiled, jabbed with sharp needles, had his tendons severed, his tongue cut out etc etc.

The result left him mentally broken. He showcased erratic violent behavior in his confused and emaciated state (tried to strangle Guts), experienced frequent hallucinations (often conjured by the God Hand) during which he had NO AWARENESS OF HIS EXTERNAL SURROUNDINGS, and most damning of all, he attempted to commit SUICIDE about 10 minutes before being coerced into signing the contract. 

Even the way the Behelit only activates at the owner's most mentally unstable point indicates that the contract for the ascension to a God Hand/Apostle member is inherently coercive BY DESIGN.

These symptoms clearly prove that Griffith was not in the necessary mental state to be able to give INFORMED CONSENT to any contract. He is LEGALLY and MORALLY blameless. 

But that's not all. 

Minors are also unable to give informed consent to any contract, because they are not developed enough to truly understand its conditions or the consequences of agreeing to them. You might say that Griffith wasn't a child and so he knew what he was doing and the consequences of his actions, but that is ignoring the OTHER aspect of being a minor that means that you're unable to give consent.

Most important is the UNEQUAL POWER DYNAMIC between parties. There is such a power imbalance of understanding and trust between a knowing adult and an unknowing minor that any mutual agreement between them of this nature HAS to be considered invalid. Now, I would argue (quite controversially) that the power dynamic between a suicidal emaciated man in a hallucinogenic state being faced with a situation beyond his comprehension and SEEMINGLY OMNISCIENT ELDRITCH BEINGS who can literally READ MINDS and act on the will of God is a MUCH more severe power dynamic between an adult and a minor, and is FAR too coercive to be considered non-coercive and valid.

It's with this unequal power dynamic of knowledge and understanding that the God Hand LIED about the Hawks consenting to be sacrificed. After framing themselves as being pure objective truth tellers and emissaries of God's will, Slan says this:

"Behold, the gifts that await you, at the summit of your bloody quest. Your comrades, each a feather in your wing, have carried you to your great cause. They will surely forgive you, for they have always loved you. Entrust your wounded soul and tattered body to them and you will have life EVERLASTING."

Slan is lying about the Hawks consenting to be sacrificed as informed by the fact that she can read their minds. Griffith acted on the PERCEIVED consent of his men as MANUFACTURED by the God Hand. Her words usher up an image of an afterlife after death, where the Hawks will realize his intentions and celebrate in his successes, which is a far cry from the eternal vortex of souls with endless suffering that the God Hand NEVER told Griffith about.

It's clear from this that the only ones who we can level responsibility towards is the God Hand for taking advantage of him in a vulnerable state of mind, regardless of whether he is at fault for getting himself into that state of mind in the first place (which is much too indirect to draw a line of direct responsibility between Griffith being tortured and being manipulated by angelic beings no one knew existed beforehand). Human Griffith did nothing wrong in this context.

If you disagree with this post then you don't understand how consent works and I'm concerned for the women in your life.

(Please don't bring up Femto's rape of Casca in the replies as I am writing a follow-up post about that. Keep it about the SACRIFICE. Griffith's personality was artificially altered by the transformation so HUMAN Griffith isn't accountable for Femto raping Casca).

I also have a post explaining why Griffith was empathetic and not selfish coming.

So you talked about how he was tortured - mentally, physically - and was deprived of all the necessary elements needed to survive. But you also have to understand that those were the consequences of his own actions he took while being "sane" - for example: Whoring himself for the funds (or his band indirectly) was also his own decision - actions that can be labeled as selfish yes.

(Also, the elaboration of the torturing methods was really unnecessary, I don't know if you did that intentionally thinking that your points will be more justified if you do so, everyone in the thread came knowning what type of world setting berserk had so someone would rarely sympathize with him)

About "Informed Consent" I think that my above point explains as to why the reason he became so miserable was his own actions (being all depressed about guts leaving him and making rash decisions is a part of it). But if you don't understand how his own thinking method or thought process while being "Sane" was the one that carved the path for him and femto to come together, then i sure am concerned about the women in your life.

You also used the "MY OWN MORALITY" part almost everywhere, well yea i know that morality is subjective at times. You seem to have your own beliefs, which you claim to be "moral" while you deny the reasoning of the pre-existing ones which you substituted or replaced with your own. Congratulations, you might also call people like yourself blind-selfishly-righteous (Don't say righteousness has nothing to do with this post because considering the words you used, yes it does)

And specific reply to your point about disagreeing with the post (also the most premature sentence of the whole post): yes, I do completely disagree with you. Though it was actually really funny to read the elaborated version of the line:
"Griffith got tortured and was mentally ill, so he made rash decisions unintentionally and hence it's not his fault."
it's like saying: "He signed documents of his own share of the company while he was high (totally drunk) due to his relationship stress."

The only ethically right thing you said was, "Femto harassed casca and not griffith." while people (me included) are informed about the fact that it was indeed not griffith (atleast not the consciousness), the hate is directed towards to the one in whose body he was in, the vessel to be said correctly, so hate towards griffith is pretty justified.
Yes, he is accountable for becoming a cripple. That in no way means he's accountable for being taken advantage of while in that state by beings that had never shown up before. Your argument is akin to blaming a rape victim cos she got drunk or went out alone in a dodgy area.
May 30, 2023 3:48 AM
May 2023
Garnavis said:
I'm sorry but this is absurd for two reasons.

1. Of course it was wrong to sacrifice his friends. You can say he was mentally incapable of understanding what he was doing, but that doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. To put it into more mundane terms of consent, if a drunk person assaults someone else, has the drunk person done something wrong? I would say obviously yes. What you're discussing is whether or not he can be held responsible, which is a different question.

2. Griffith's ultimate sin and his greatest flaw is his ambition. I would say that this is one of the main themes of the series. He reflects several times (while of sound mind) on how his desire to have his own kingdom requires the deaths of many people, friends and enemies alike. He is sacrificing people in every battle. And for what? His own dream. He knows and understands this and continues to do it, and when Guts leaves him he throws a fit and ends up making the Hawks outlaws. The series is nuanced, of course, but it's well-supported in the text that he's constantly doing things that are wrong. The eclipse is merely the culmination of a path he started down when he decided he was willing to sacrifice human beings to his own ambition.
1. Your drunk analogy doesn't work because the way we make someone accountable in a court of law is through the concept of voluntary intoxication, wherein the defendant is accountabe for any action they take while under the influence because they CHOSE to take the alcohol with full knowledge of its effects on their mental state. This does not apply to Griffith. He didn't choose to enter the state before the transformation or after.
2. Griffith always allowed the Hawks to die on the battlefield based on their consent to risk their lives in battle. "They chose to fight those battles, just as I have chosen this." The God Hand know this, and that is the reason why they LIE about the Hawks' consent. If Griffith were in a better mental state he'd be more likely to see through the God Hand's manipulation.
May 30, 2023 3:50 AM
May 2023
cheekkclapper said:
I actually read it. You clickbated everyone, now nobody takes you seriously. You gave a long winded argument about why Griffith was in no state to give informed consent to the Godhand, therefore he cannot be held morally accountable. But, Griffith absolutely did something wrong. Your wording of the title, which will be the only thing most people read, further reduces the number of people willing to engage with you, let alone agree. If you’d titled it “Why Griffith is not morally accountable, though his actions were unforgivable,” these people would have taken you seriously, as, in spite of what metaphors may have taught you, people absolutely judge books by their covers.
cheekkclapper
I actually read it. You clickbated everyone, now nobody takes you seriously. You gave a long winded argument about why Griffith was in no state to give informed consent to the Godhand, therefore he cannot be held morally accountable. But, Griffith absolutely did something wrong. Your wording of the title, which will be the only thing most people read, further reduces the number of people willing to engage with you, let alone agree. If you’d titled it “Why Griffith is not morally accountable, though his actions were unforgivable,” these people would have taken you seriously, as, in spite of what metaphors may have taught you, people absolutely judge books by their covers.
How can he be unforgivable if he isn't accountable for what happened? Tht doesn't even make sense.
May 30, 2023 3:53 AM
May 2023
PeripheralVision said:
To follow up my final post, the big issue with your point is likening Griffith's state pre-eclipse as akin to something like paranoid schizophrenia, but here is the thing. Paranoid Schizophrenia for most individuals is not simply hallucinations, but affects how your mind actually works. This is a staggeringly common misconception about the disease. Some have gestured thing such as "well, if you see a blue gumby in the background, surely any reasonable person would be able to identify that as being a hallucination, right?"

Except this is not how it works, severe cases of schizophrenia not only mess with your perception with reality, what you see and experience, but how you can inteperet those things. To put it a list format.

1. Seeing and hearing things that are not there.
  2. Being unable to properly rationalize due to said hallucinations.

Number 2 is very important. It is difficult to explain, but it more akin to involuntary inebriation or being forcefully put under the influence.

This is not what Griffith experienced.
Sichlitt said:
The result left him mentally broken. He showcased erratic violent behavior in his confused and emaciated state (tried to strangle Guts), experienced frequent hallucinations (often conjured by the God Hand) during which he had NO AWARENESS OF HIS EXTERNAL SURROUNDINGS, and most damning of all, he attempted to commit SUICIDE about 10 minutes before being coerced into signing the contract. 

Griffith more or less kept his ability to rationalize. He may have been subjected to views and hallucinations, but he is fully able to comprehend that yes, these are hallucinations for the most part. He is not psychotic, he is not experiencing a break from reality that a schizophrenic does. He might not comprehend what he is seeing, but he is still capable of distinguishing them from reality

Otherwise, you might gesture that Kakashi from Naruto did not intend to kill Itachi simply because what he attempted to stab was a hallucination. You could argue that people who hit on Kirito from Sword Art Online, who at the time looked like a very feminine looking boy were not responsible or had any control from their actions. Like Griffith, they were subjected to a reality that was misleading, but all had the competency to actually realize when they have been duped or that what they were experiencing was very different from what actually is.

Your other attempts just make Griffith pitiable, but not innocent. If someone had a shitty and painful childhood, that does not give them any special right to hurt others. Replace shitty childhood with a year in a torture dungeon, and you have Griffith again. The fact you think Griffith's empathy overrode his ambition is laughably insane. He was desperate because of the position he was in, and ultimately I imagine it would take a will of steel many of us, including myself, do not possess in order to not be swayed by the God Hand's offer.

However, he still was capable of saying no. He was not on some psychotic break, and in a world where magic exists, one could argue that magical hallucinations are just normal. Again, trying to say Griffith had no agency in his transformation to Femto completely undermines the tragedy of his arc. How unsatisfying is it to claim that Griffith was mind-controlled, or that he is a robot with no ill-will carrying out preprogrammed instructions? It is insane.
This doesn't hold true. Griffith did not understand that they were hallucinations. He literally rode a wagon down a cobblestone path that wasn't there following a child version of himself that wasn't there to reach a castle that wasn't there. 
I never appealed to Griffith's childhood.
May 30, 2023 4:02 AM
Mar 2022
Sichlitt said:
RandomPerson9348 said:

"If you do then you're supporting exploitation and manipulation."

"If you disagree with this post then you don't understand how consent works and I'm concerned for the women in your life."

I would look up the definition of manipulation before calling someone out. Because saying that someone is inherently bad and supports bad things because they disagree with you is a peak example of it.

There's one or two people in this thread who are genuinely willing to have a conversation with you, but you would rather call names and tell them that they are bad people because they aren't licking your boots.

Maybe if you tried to be a little less self-absorbed and narcissistic, you would stop trying to protect a character who was written to be the definition of evil. If the writer himself believed that Griffith deserved anything less than the worst fate possible, then the story would be a whole lot different.
It's not manipulative or hypocritical to say someone doesn't care about consent when they demonstraby haven't cared about consent in this instance.

Alright then. My bad, good sir.

I understand that I do not agree with the concepts of consent and am a huge supporter of exploitation and manipulation. Thank you for telling me how bad of a human being I am. I will promptly break all connections with all women in my life and will also bury myself alive so as to not cause problems to mentally ill people (who I clearly hate and want to exploit).

Since the only other option is to start supporting a fictional character who was created for people to hate him, I guess I'll just need to die so as to save humanity from my sins.
May 30, 2023 4:19 AM

Mar 2012
Once again we get an INCEL...

...that tries to justify RAPE. 

End Zionazism
May 30, 2023 4:21 AM
Mar 2022
Anyways. All of this nonsense made me re-read the chapters where he decides to become Femto. And wow, you are dense.

The God Hand clearly gives him a choice. They show him his comrades and tell him that they would be more than happy to accept his injured body and carry him away to safety. Then they ask him if he would rather sacrifice them and become Femto.

The reason he picks the second option is because of the many that have already died for him. The pile of bodies he sees in the vision that the God Hand show him represent the many members of the Band of the Hawk who have died over the years because of his insane ambition.

This is the one chance he has to get closer to the dream. He will never be able to reach the castle if he does not become Femto now. If he rejected the offer, it would mean disrespecting the tens of thousands who died for his dream till now. So he decides to sacrifice his comrades to become one of the God Hand.

Your idea of him not being conscious makes one of the greatest moments of twisted fictional character development into a really pathetic scene. It loses all impact and the story loses all meaning.

P.S.- What's funny is that you post this the same time that Guts is going through the same dilemma in the latest chapter. Not only the Golden Age Arc, but also the latest chapter would lose all its impact if your idea of Griffith being manipulated is to be considered.
RandomPerson9348May 30, 2023 4:24 AM
May 30, 2023 5:05 AM
Mar 2021
Saying someone did nothing wrong because of their mental health is stupid. It’s a reason. Sometimes it can be a mitigating reason, but it’s never a complete justification.
May 30, 2023 8:16 AM
Feb 2022
still like this manga it is fucking good
May 30, 2023 8:27 AM
Mar 2023
my argument is just that Griffith and Femto are separate entities
May 30, 2023 8:52 AM

Jan 2011
i feel like this joke stopped being funny at least a decade ago
May 30, 2023 8:56 AM

Mar 2021
Yooooo blud's cooking sum fr fr 💯💯
May 30, 2023 2:35 PM

Sep 2016
This is actually the type of stuff Saul Goodman would say to prove that Griffith is innocent. Brilliant!
May 30, 2023 8:49 PM
Jul 2016
RandomPerson9348 said:
Anyways. All of this nonsense made me re-read the chapters where he decides to become Femto. And wow, you are dense.

The God Hand clearly gives him a choice. They show him his comrades and tell him that they would be more than happy to accept his injured body and carry him away to safety. Then they ask him if he would rather sacrifice them and become Femto.

The reason he picks the second option is because of the many that have already died for him. The pile of bodies he sees in the vision that the God Hand show him represent the many members of the Band of the Hawk who have died over the years because of his insane ambition.

This is the one chance he has to get closer to the dream. He will never be able to reach the castle if he does not become Femto now. If he rejected the offer, it would mean disrespecting the tens of thousands who died for his dream till now. So he decides to sacrifice his comrades to become one of the God Hand.

Your idea of him not being conscious makes one of the greatest moments of twisted fictional character development into a really pathetic scene. It loses all impact and the story loses all meaning.

P.S.- What's funny is that you post this the same time that Guts is going through the same dilemma in the latest chapter. Not only the Golden Age Arc, but also the latest chapter would lose all its impact if your idea of Griffith being manipulated is to be considered.

I agree with this.

I would also add that this original poster is disregarding what Griffith has done and said in the past. It is in these past actions where we can see how Griffith thinks about others and about how he differs from Guts (a morally grey character who is also a good person)

I think this all goes back to the bonfire of dreams scene. Guts feels empty because he recognizes that everyone else in the camp has a dream and is actively pursuing it through there work with the Band of the Hawk.

Griffith says to the Princess at the fountain that the only people with dreams and personal ambition are to be considered truly alive. He later says that none of them are his friends because a true friend of his must have ambition beyond him. He doesn't recognize there dreams, probably because he believes that they are small and that he is required for them.

We can see from this interaction that he considers all of his soldiers meat tools to be used up for his own ambition. He unlike Guts, he does not see or recognize there dreams. He is disconnected from reality that he knew at the beginning of the Golden age.

He once knew the child soldier that died pursuing a dream to be a knight. His own narsissiam has corrupted that, believing that his dream was crushed for him.

His appreciation of Guts is proves his inability to believe his own philosophy. Guts is a man without a dream in the golden age ark and is devoted to Griffith because he believes him to be a friend.

Griffith doesn't respect that Guys wants to move beyond him, and this causes him to downward spiral when he does.

He is a hypocrite and a narcissist and he is a user of people who respects no one. Sure he can be nice or polite but he's not a good person and he has done all of the wrong.

He can not get passed how everyone has moved on with there lives to be so powerful that they can rescue him. His sacrificing the band of the hawk isn't just for his dream it is to punish everyone who has been able to live life without him. It is to re-establish the power dynamic that was broken when Guts beat him in order to leave. That is proven by the rape of Casca.

Rape is about power, through it he is trying to break Guts and Casca who has surpassed him by finding there own dreams beyond him. Casca has found romance with a man who will respect her, moving beyond her dream of just being a sword for Griffith a mand who doesn't respect her. Guts has found a dream of becoming the strongest sword who needs no ones support. They have taken over the band of the hawk surpassing Griffith.

Griffith is using the slaughter of the Band of the Hawk to pull down there accomplishments and reassert power of the BotH, Casca , and Guts. He's using rape to make Casca believe she is helpless the opposite of what he did for her originally when she was a peasant girl. He also uses rape to remind Guts that he can have what he wants over him. This is very clear from the eye contact he makes the whole time. It's about power

Also let's talk about his dream. Griffith wants to be king. His dream is basically to be the all powerful ruler of a kingdom that takes a lot of narsissiam. He has always thought of himself as better than others and now he views himself as completely above others.

He is fulfilling his dream literally through the murder and rape of the band of the hawk

He Did Wrong

End of story

(Appollogies if this is hard to read, I hope it has brought some clarity to readers of Berserk who need it most)
HawksRaiderMay 30, 2023 9:05 PM
May 31, 2023 5:46 AM
May 2023
@RandomPerson9348  they do not give him a choice. You've misinterpreted the scene. The God Hand are presenting Griffith with the sacrifices and manufacturing consent by telling Griffith that the Hawks will forgive him for being sacrificed after the fact, as informed by the fact that Slan can read their minds. They deceptively tell a half lie by cryptically referring to the Idea of Evil and collective subconscious: "that is the cruel grace of the God born of man."

Your interpretation makes no sense because DIRECTLY before this scene the God Hand tell him that if he doesn't pile them up he will become a corpse like the rest of them. A CORPSE isn't a CRIPPLE. It's a threat of death. They didn't give him a choice. They literally say "THERE IS NO OTHER CHOICE! LAY THE COBBLESTONES LEST YOU BECOME ONE OF THEM (corpse)." That is a direct quote.

I don't care if you think that makes Griffith's character bad. That's not an agument. You have to either explain why I'm wrong in-universe or stop liking Berserk. Your choice.
May 31, 2023 5:47 AM
May 2023
@24846 it is when it invalidates any men's rea.
May 31, 2023 6:12 AM
Mar 2022
Sichlitt said:
@RandomPerson9348  they do not give him a choice. You've misinterpreted the scene. The God Hand are presenting Griffith with the sacrifices and manufacturing consent by telling Griffith that the Hawks will forgive him for being sacrificed after the fact, as informed by the fact that Slan can read their minds. They deceptively tell a half lie by cryptically referring to the Idea of Evil and collective subconscious: "that is the cruel grace of the God born of man."

Your interpretation makes no sense because DIRECTLY before this scene the God Hand tell him that if he doesn't pile them up he will become a corpse like the rest of them. A CORPSE isn't a CRIPPLE. It's a threat of death. They didn't give him a choice. They literally say "THERE IS NO OTHER CHOICE! LAY THE COBBLESTONES LEST YOU BECOME ONE OF THEM (corpse)." That is a direct quote.

I don't care if you think that makes Griffith's character bad. That's not an agument. You have to either explain why I'm wrong in-universe or stop liking Berserk. Your choice.

Before starting, let me just state that I have zero idea what cobblestones you keep talking about. Please tell me which chapter this dialogue is from.

As for the "misinterpretation", I believe it is you who is mistaking basic grammar. Here's an image of the dialogue you're probably referencing, from the official English translations.

"They shall forgive you even if they are now crushed by despair."

She is NOT saying that they will forgive him even if they are killed. She is saying that right now, as she speaks, they are taken over by despair because what they are seeing is beyond their comprehension. If he goes back to them now, they will forget this event and accept him warmly. EXCEPT...

He can only go back by burying his dream, which is what this page says as it concludes that one line.

BUT, he gets a choice.

If even now, that castle is more important to him than his friends, he can choose the castle instead.

All he needs to do is say the words.

You made me go back and read and re-read things that I have read thrice already. And it's still the same dialogue. Just because you have misunderstood simple grammar, you're flaming people online with your high-end narcissism. Like, "accept my view or stop liking this manga" is a statement which shows epic proportions of self-centeredness.

May 31, 2023 6:24 AM
Mar 2022
Please understand that I have zero obligation to stay here and try to change the mind of a person who has been so absorbed by his own beliefs that he can't even consider a different perspective. I don't need to do this at all.

But Kentarou Miura was a genius. A truly gifted artist and storyteller who dedicated his life to telling such a beautiful and layered story. Imagine telling someone that you don't care if their enjoyment of a story is ruined if they don't agree with you.

You trample upon this man's wonderful legacy and work, with no regard for the art itself, but for stupid arguments and debates born only from your want to be different, "sick" and "lit", as you put it.

So, yeah. I don't need to be here, but I will be here forever and ever, as long as it takes to show my respect to a man who you could never even imagine touching, and who I can only aspire to be as great as. I hate debating online in general because it really affects me mentally and leaves me anxious and depressed for the longest time, but I'll do it over and over as long as it means protecting something as important to the world of art as this manga.
May 31, 2023 6:40 AM
May 2023
@RandomPerson9348 it’s in chapter 77, the chapter before the one you’re referencing. They threaten death if he doesn’t continue to pile up corpses to the castle. Pretty self-explanatory. They CANNOT be offering him a choice to live for this very reason.

I didn’t say that they consent in that moment. My entire point is that she says they will forgive him AFTER the fact, ushering up the image of an afterlife wherein the Hawks will realise Griffith’s reasoning and forgive him while celebrating his successes. This is a twisted way of explaining that when the Hawks become a part of the vortex of souls they will lose their individuality and support Griffith as part of the collective consciousness controlling fate. That is the reference to the “god born of man.” The Idea of Evil.

He is told to bury his friends in the ruins of his dream. His dream leaves ruin behind as the God Hand explained a few pages earlier. He’s still pursuing it.

They didn’t say “if the castle is more important than his friends.” You had to make that up to make your argument make any sort of sense. He is acting on the perceived will of his men as manufactured by the God Hand.

Your translation isn’t the only one. The 1997 Berserk anime translation that I used refers to the fact that they will forgive him and then he will have life EVERLASTING, as in they forgive him for becoming the immortal Femto.

Griffith has no choice. They literally say “there is no other choice” in the chapter before during the vision of the path of bodies. This is the thematic point of his character. He is stripped of free will and gives in to fate, unlike Guts. Making it an informed choice ruins the point of the story.
May 31, 2023 6:41 AM
May 2023
@RandomPerson9348 it’s in chapter 77, the chapter before the one you’re referencing. They threaten death if he doesn’t continue to pile up corpses to the castle. Pretty self-explanatory. They CANNOT be offering him a choice to live for this very reason.

I didn’t say that they consent in that moment. My entire point is that she says they will forgive him AFTER the fact, ushering up the image of an afterlife wherein the Hawks will realise Griffith’s reasoning and forgive him while celebrating his successes. This is a twisted way of explaining that when the Hawks become a part of the vortex of souls they will lose their individuality and support Griffith as part of the collective consciousness controlling fate. That is the reference to the “god born of man.” The Idea of Evil.

He is told to bury his friends in the ruins of his dream. His dream leaves ruin behind as the God Hand explained a few pages earlier. He’s still pursuing it.

They didn’t say “if the castle is more important than his friends.” You had to make that up to make your argument make any sort of sense. He is acting on the perceived will of his men as manufactured by the God Hand.

Your translation isn’t the only one. The 1997 Berserk anime translation that I used refers to the fact that they will forgive him and then he will have life EVERLASTING, as in they forgive him for becoming the immortal Femto.

Griffith has no choice. They literally say “there is no other choice” in the chapter before during the vision of the path of bodies. This is the thematic point of his character. He is stripped of free will and gives in to fate, unlike Guts. Making it an informed choice ruins the point of the story.
May 31, 2023 6:44 AM
May 2023
@RandomPerson9348 what the fuck are you talking about? I’m not going to sacrifice what makes sense and what is literally written on the page for your sense of comfort in believing you’re right and your personal enjoyment of Berserk. Stop playing on the author’s death to support your arguments. It’s disgusting.
SichlittMay 31, 2023 7:01 AM
May 31, 2023 7:11 AM
Mar 2022
Sichlitt said:

Your entire point lies in the fact that you use the 1997 anime translation. The anime has different writers who can add or remove dialogue from the manga. So the anime translation isn't valid in a thread dedicated to the manga. The only valid translation would be the one which Dark Horse did with their release of the official English versions.

They never tell him to bury his friends. The line is - "Bury everything...in exchange for the past...in the ruins of your dream."
They tell him that if he wishes to go back to the Band of the Hawk, he must bury everything that he has done so far, in the ruins of his dreams. The next panel is a close-up of Griffith's face as he thinks "Ruins of my dream". That line is unacceptable to him.

As for the castle. "Even so, if you still see it. If even now, that castle is in your eyes more dazzling than anything..."
Idk how I need to make anything up to change the meaning of this very simple line. They literally ask him if the castle is more important than anything in his life. If yes, if he can't see his dream crumble to ruins, all he needs to do is sacrifice his friends.

And your final points. They don't threaten death. They literally tell him his current situation. If he does not become Femto, he will die. The God Hand has nothing to do with it. He will die due to his wounds of torture. He has that option. They show him all the destruction and death he has caused, and give him the option to die as a man loved and respected by his comrades. But he rejects that and decides to keep moving to reach his dream.

Berserk is not a story about fate. It's about ambition and morality. Nobody is ever rid of their free will. Griffith chooses to follow his ambition without any regard for his friends and family. If it helps him reach his goal, he is willing to kill the entire world. Guts is going to go on the opposite route. He will not give in to ambition. The monster might give him strength, but now, he won't give in to it. He has people he needs to protect. He will control his rage and try and fight Griffith as he is.
May 31, 2023 7:15 AM
Mar 2022
Sichlitt said:
@RandomPerson9348 what the fuck are you talking about? I’m not going to sacrifice what makes sense and what is literally written on the page for your sense of comfort in believing you’re right and your personal enjoyment of Berserk. Stop playing on the author’s death to support your arguments. It’s disgusting.

Your mentality is what is disgusting. I'm not saying that you need to stop believing whatever you believe. Go ahead and keep saying Griffith is right. I honestly don't care.

But your idea of thrusting your opinions on others is really annoying. Who cares if people think Griffith is right or not? Instead of leaving them alone, you keep attacking them and telling them how bad they are because they read something differently.

Even now, my arguments are not to change your mind. They are to protect my standing, which you constantly, personally attack.

No author in this world would be pleased by someone protecting their work and forcing the "truth" on people. As long as people enjoy things in their own way, leave them alone. Even now. You have the choice of just telling me that I'm free to believe what I want and have fun.

But you instead ask me to stop liking something instead of reading it my way. THAT is disgusting.
May 31, 2023 1:10 PM

Feb 2022

May 31, 2023 1:40 PM
Jul 2016
RandomPerson9348 said:
Sichlitt said:

Your entire point lies in the fact that you use the 1997 anime translation. The anime has different writers who can add or remove dialogue from the manga. So the anime translation isn't valid in a thread dedicated to the manga. The only valid translation would be the one which Dark Horse did with their release of the official English versions.

They never tell him to bury his friends. The line is - "Bury everything...in exchange for the past...in the ruins of your dream."
They tell him that if he wishes to go back to the Band of the Hawk, he must bury everything that he has done so far, in the ruins of his dreams. The next panel is a close-up of Griffith's face as he thinks "Ruins of my dream". That line is unacceptable to him.

As for the castle. "Even so, if you still see it. If even now, that castle is in your eyes more dazzling than anything..."
Idk how I need to make anything up to change the meaning of this very simple line. They literally ask him if the castle is more important than anything in his life. If yes, if he can't see his dream crumble to ruins, all he needs to do is sacrifice his friends.

And your final points. They don't threaten death. They literally tell him his current situation. If he does not become Femto, he will die. The God Hand has nothing to do with it. He will die due to his wounds of torture. He has that option. They show him all the destruction and death he has caused, and give him the option to die as a man loved and respected by his comrades. But he rejects that and decides to keep moving to reach his dream.

Berserk is not a story about fate. It's about ambition and morality. Nobody is ever rid of their free will. Griffith chooses to follow his ambition without any regard for his friends and family. If it helps him reach his goal, he is willing to kill the entire world. Guts is going to go on the opposite route. He will not give in to ambition. The monster might give him strength, but now, he won't give in to it. He has people he needs to protect. He will control his rage and try and fight Griffith as he is.

Yes! The whole point of the manga is about choices people make. That is very clear.

I feel the argument that is being made for Griffith doing nothing wrong literally robs his character of agency and corrupts the theme of the story.

It's not a manga where there are all powerful gods that can change everything with a snap of there fingers. Where fate forces you to do everything despite what you want.

Berserk is about struggling with your own choices and struggling to keep to them despite powerful opposition (not all powerful)

Griffith is a good character despite being a terrible person and is proactive in his choices.

If we follow the logic of the original poster, he's an invalid who is bullied into making a bad dessision. I find that to be a boring interpretation. He's gone to war , fought in battles, and has tried to kill himself within recent time of his offer to become Femto. Even if you were to believe he is being threatened (which I don't believe) the Griffith I know wouldn't be threatened by death in that way, he would pursue his dream with intentional disregard for others.

Now there are some who have said that Griffith did no wrong because he was pursuing his dream and that has always been his goal. I don't think think these people have good moral grownding but I do think that they have a better understanding of the character then the poster of this thread

I'd personally recommend you go back to the begging of the manga and re-asses the character as you read to the end of the Golden age arc. The character that you're describing sounds more like Corkus then Griffith to me
May 31, 2023 3:53 PM

Oct 2014
"He was mentally unstable so you can't say it was morally wrong for him to kill hundreds of innocent comrades/friends all for self-service and the pursuit of power"

Just stop it
Jun 3, 2023 2:20 AM
May 2023
0207xander said:
"He was mentally unstable so you can't say it was morally wrong for him to kill hundreds of innocent comrades/friends all for self-service and the pursuit of power"

Just stop it

That is how consent works yeah. I’m not saying there’s no blame to be handed out. It’s the God Hand’s fault. Accountability requires intent.
Jun 3, 2023 2:25 AM
May 2023
RandomPerson9348 said:
Sichlitt said:

Cope. Absolute cope. I got my initial interpretation from the Dark Horse translation (which isn’t great btw). He is burying his men in exchange for reclaiming his fallen glory and power he once had in the “ruins” of his dream, as in the destruction his dream leaves in its wake, which they had just talked about like a page earlier.

So now you’re claiming two contradictory things at once. On the one hand, you’re saying that he has the choice to go home and live life with his comrades who will look after him. Now you’re making the argument that he will die of his injuries if he doesn’t sacrifice them.

You know this is wrong. You know Griffith wouldn’t die of his wounds. There is no mention anywhere of that. All of the discussion of Casca and the Hawks is that he’d be left crippled for the rest of his life, not that he’d die. Griffith literally gets a vision of him living peacefully in the future with Casca. The implication is most definitely not that he’d die naturally of his injuries.

Try again.
Jun 3, 2023 2:28 AM
May 2023
RandomPerson9348 said:
Sichlitt said:

Imagine unironically comparing Guts and Griffith in this way as if they’re even remotely similar. Imagine unironically claiming that Berserk isn’t about fate.

The God Hand do appeal to fate in coercing Griffith into the sacrifice. They literally stated that fate had set him free from human reason and that it was the will of God for him to sacrifice them. They literally say THERE IS NO OTHER CHOICE.
Jun 3, 2023 2:32 AM
May 2023
HawksRaider said:
RandomPerson9348 said:

Yes! The whole point of the manga is about choices people make. That is very clear.

I feel the argument that is being made for Griffith doing nothing wrong literally robs his character of agency and corrupts the theme of the story.

It's not a manga where there are all powerful gods that can change everything with a snap of there fingers. Where fate forces you to do everything despite what you want.

Berserk is about struggling with your own choices and struggling to keep to them despite powerful opposition (not all powerful)

Griffith is a good character despite being a terrible person and is proactive in his choices.

If we follow the logic of the original poster, he's an invalid who is bullied into making a bad dessision. I find that to be a boring interpretation. He's gone to war , fought in battles, and has tried to kill himself within recent time of his offer to become Femto. Even if you were to believe he is being threatened (which I don't believe) the Griffith I know wouldn't be threatened by death in that way, he would pursue his dream with intentional disregard for others.

Now there are some who have said that Griffith did no wrong because he was pursuing his dream and that has always been his goal. I don't think think these people have good moral grownding but I do think that they have a better understanding of the character then the poster of this thread

I'd personally recommend you go back to the begging of the manga and re-asses the character as you read to the end of the Golden age arc. The character that you're describing sounds more like Corkus then Griffith to me

Again, you can’t appeal to what you’d like to believe in a story as an argument. You can wish that were the case if you felt that made Berserk better, but again, you HAVE to explain why I’m wrong in-universe, otherwise you’re contradicting the words on the page.

You’re putting the cart before the horse. You’ve already decided upon your interpretation that you like so you’re attempting to twist the events around that, when what you should be doing is starting from the bottom up and arguing what the actual text is saying.
Jun 3, 2023 2:35 AM
May 2023
RandomPerson9348 said:
Sichlitt said:

Your mentality is what is disgusting. I'm not saying that you need to stop believing whatever you believe. Go ahead and keep saying Griffith is right. I honestly don't care.

But your idea of thrusting your opinions on others is really annoying. Who cares if people think Griffith is right or not? Instead of leaving them alone, you keep attacking them and telling them how bad they are because they read something differently.

Even now, my arguments are not to change your mind. They are to protect my standing, which you constantly, personally attack.

No author in this world would be pleased by someone protecting their work and forcing the "truth" on people. As long as people enjoy things in their own way, leave them alone. Even now. You have the choice of just telling me that I'm free to believe what I want and have fun.

But you instead ask me to stop liking something instead of reading it my way. THAT is disgusting.

YOU’RE DOING THE EXACT SAME THING. I’m not thrusting my opinions on anyone. I’m simply sharing them, just as you are sharing your’s.

I’m saying that if you can’t support your interpretation with textual evidence then you have to change your interpretation, because an interpretation can’t be based on what you’d like to believe devoid of anything substantive in the text. “Well that would make Berserk bad” is all you can argue. Well then maybe Berserk is bad in your view. You have to explain why I’m wrong in-universe OR change your beliefs. That’s just how argumentation works.
Jun 3, 2023 5:15 AM
Mar 2022
Ok, fine. Whatever. Human Griffith did nothing wrong. The God Hand forced him to become Femto and his entire personality changed due to that. Okay?

I get it now.

I was an idiot to think that I could actually read something and understand it. Next time, I'll let you know when I want to read something and you can give me an explanation for it, so that I don't misunderstand the story. Thank you for clearing all my misconceptions and making it clear that this story is actually just about immortal godly beings forcing humans to do what they want for their amusement (let me know if I am still misunderstanding it, sorry).

Now that you have completely made me believe that your argument is right, please leave me alone. I honestly couldn't care. For the two or some days that I didn't have to read something you wrote, I was really, really happy. Let me go back to that.

Forgive the mistakes of a little child. I am chickening out because I just can't think of anything to justify my stupid beliefs.
Jun 3, 2023 7:52 AM
May 2023
RandomPerson9348 said:
Ok, fine. Whatever. Human Griffith did nothing wrong. The God Hand forced him to become Femto and his entire personality changed due to that. Okay?

I get it now.

I was an idiot to think that I could actually read something and understand it. Next time, I'll let you know when I want to read something and you can give me an explanation for it, so that I don't misunderstand the story. Thank you for clearing all my misconceptions and making it clear that this story is actually just about immortal godly beings forcing humans to do what they want for their amusement (let me know if I am still misunderstanding it, sorry).

Now that you have completely made me believe that your argument is right, please leave me alone. I honestly couldn't care. For the two or some days that I didn't have to read something you wrote, I was really, really happy. Let me go back to that.

Forgive the mistakes of a little child. I am chickening out because I just can't think of anything to justify my stupid beliefs.

See? This is the way to go about it. Well done.
Jun 6, 2023 2:16 AM

Oct 2014
Sichlitt said:
0207xander said:

Just stop it

That is how consent works yeah. I’m not saying there’s no blame to be handed out. It’s the God Hand’s fault. Accountability requires intent.
You are just handwaving all personal accountability. He literally for dozens of chapters talked about how he viewed his comrades as being expendable for his dream and how he would do anything to attain his kingdom. That was foreshadowing his decision. There was no difference in his character before and after his torture. Just accept the fact you are wrong/delusional
Jun 6, 2023 2:43 AM

Sep 2022
You can't even vote in 12 countries. I don't think anyone's gonna listen to you my friend.
Jun 6, 2023 7:11 AM
May 2023
0207xander said:
Sichlitt said:

You are just handwaving all personal accountability. He literally for dozens of chapters talked about how he viewed his comrades as being expendable for his dream and how he would do anything to attain his kingdom. That was foreshadowing his decision. There was no difference in his character before and after his torture. Just accept the fact you are wrong/delusional
Imagine taking Griffith's dialogue at face value. Berserk is better written than that. Griffith's words contradict his actions which lets us know that he is lying in the dream speech.
This persona shatters at the lake:
"I don't regret those that die for me, because they CHOSE to fight those battles."
"I can't just step over the bones of the dead in order to realize it. I'D RATHER SACRIFICE MYSELF THAN LET ANY MORE INNOCENT CHILDREN DIE IN THE NAME OF MY DREAM."
Where exactly is the foreshadowing and lack of care? He literally sacrificed his pride, dignity and mental wellbeing in whoring himself out to Gannon to save his soldiers' lives. That is COMPASSIONATE and SELF-SACRIFICING. You've fallen for Griffith's manipulation.
I am absolving him of responsibility because he isn't responsible. I'm not saying no one is responsible. The God Hand is. There's a certain tendency to throw out all logic and fairness due to this fundamental need to assert blame onto people. Stop letting your emotions cloud your judgement. Learn how consent works. Your argument is akin to blaming a girl for being taken advantage of while drunk cos she got herself into that state. It's the responsibility of the people around you to not take advantage of you in a vulnerable situation. By admonishing Griffith here you engage in apologia for the God Hand's manipulation.
Aug 1, 2023 7:23 AM
May 2023
RandomPerson9348 said:
Sichlitt said:

I've responded to your comments in this thread directly in my latest video. Give it a watch. https://youtu.be/KOJZioQwR1Q
Aug 4, 2023 8:23 AM
Sep 2019
Don't care. You're wrong.
Aug 4, 2023 6:36 PM

Dec 2018
OP reminded me of people who defend heinous criminals in real life making the same argument i just read here.
saying anything more will be opening a political pendoras box i do not want to open in this forum.
Dec 11, 2023 11:44 PM

Aug 2017
i understand your point

itiswhatitis
Mar 13, 10:54 AM
Sep 2020
It's still wrong. You could argue that it's not entirely his fault, as the severe mental and physical torture really messed him up. However, that doesn't make what he did right. Killing (the sacrifice) is wrong, there's no argument there.
Mar 13, 1:02 PM

Jul 2014
Bullshit. Griffith's malice was ever-present and foreshadowed throughout Golden Age. He was always ruthless and opportunistic in his pursuit of his dream.
Take care of yourself

Apr 13, 11:24 AM

Oct 2023
Griffith is culpable for his actions and absolutely immoral in betraying his allies, which is why he's such a great antagonist/character.

He is fundamentally opposed to Guts throughout almost all of Golden Age. There is no need to rationalize what he did. The ends do not justify the means, and that's the point. He would've consented to the God Hand's need for a sacrifice even if he was totally lucid. The fact he was aware of the Behelit and it's wish-granting powers at all would indicate he's responsible even before the Eclipse occurs. He internally still sees himself as a powerless child overcoming any and all who would keep him lackluster position he was born into; he knew the Behelit was a tool to attain the power that he wanted, and in the end, he earned what he desired.

It's also quite a stretch to assume he's bordering on schizophrenia at this point. Sure, the torture he suffered in the dungeon was a contributing factor to his decision, but it didn't override his ability to think. The Griffith we see is fully aware of what's happening once the Eclipse is underway and the God Hand begin to take him in. Even if the God Hand "lied" to him, he still wanted this. He had been effectively outclassed in combat by Guts, and understood very well the fact he needed this dark power to fulfil his dream and have his strength return to him.
PlasticRobotApr 13, 6:08 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 376 Discussion

MegamiRem - Apr 25

37 by InfinityLord671 »»
7 hours ago

» Chapter 376 - The End is Near

luckysjjsjsjs - Apr 25

21 by Alexioos95 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 22 Discussion

Rasco - Dec 3, 2010

30 by MrGutz »»
Yesterday, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 118 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Nov 6, 2011

20 by wxykz »»
Yesterday, 6:50 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 8 Discussion

KitaTsuki - Mar 5, 2011

45 by Thegyew »»
Apr 25, 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.