Forum Settings
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Movie -Rebellion-
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 17, 2023 6:41 AM
Apr 2023
You’ve probably heard this before but once it’s 2023 and no fourth movie is here yet I feel like I should bring this up. In my opinion, I believe that Homura did do some things wrong, she literally pulled down Madoka from heaven or whatever and rewrote the universe that Madoka had wanted, Homura claims she loves her but is going against Madoka’s wish really showing her feelings torwards her? Or was Homura just being selfish? 

Apr 17, 2023 6:54 AM

Jul 2015
Technically, her actions put whole universe in peril, even her precious Madoka.
Homura even acknowledges that Madoka wouldn't want to be saved, because that would just make her sacrifice pointless and describes herself as a "devil" to her "god".
So not only what she is doing is wrong, but she is even aware of that and she does it anyway, which makes her not only wrong, but also evil.

Also, regarding yanderes and other similar archetypes:
Do NOT mistake obsession and wanting someone for yourself for love.
Love is wanting someone's happines above your own. Something, which Homura lacked.

But I guess we need to wait for fourth movie and more exposition. I'm pretty sure Homura will take the role of main antagonist and Madoka will try to talk her down.
Maybe Homura has other plans besides confining Madoka in her perceived safety?
PiromyslApr 17, 2023 7:08 AM

Apr 17, 2023 8:39 AM
Jun 2021
Piromysl said:
Homura even acknowledges that Madoka wouldn't want to be saved, because that would just make her sacrifice pointless and describes herself as a "devil" to her "god".
So not only what she is doing is wrong, but she is even aware of that and she does it anyway, which makes her not only wrong, but also evil.

Love is wanting someone's happines above your own. Something, which Homura lacked.

But I guess we need to wait for fourth movie and more exposition. I'm pretty sure Homura will take the role of main antagonist and Madoka will try to talk her down.

From what we know, I disagree with that. I don't see how Homura's action have put anyone in peril. She kept the exact same world, the only difference being that Madoka (as well as Sayaka & Nagisa) are now alive and well. The system Madoka fought for still exist. Simply she can still exist despite that, while before she had to sacrifice herself for that wish to come true. Homura truly created an ideal world for everyone, including Madoka. She only did it for selfish reason, wanting to see Madoka again, but this situation is far better than what we had before.

And, according to the lyrics of "See you Tomorrow" (Madoka's theme), as well as her conversation with Homura on the flower field, Madoka didn't want to be sacrificed. She only did it because she is strong-minded and wanted to save everyone. I don't think she regrets her decision, but being saved by Homura shouldn't be a problem to her either. I don't really understand why Sayaka gets angry at Homura for what she did since everything she did was good ?

So to answer the initial question, did Homura do nothing wrong ? I would say yes.
However, she was only driven by selfish motivations. But I fail to see how her acts have done any harm to their world, if not for her (and Madoka) the Law of Cycle wouldn't ever have existed in the first place, and it's not her fault Kyubey wanted to bring back the old system, and now it won't try it anymore.
Apr 17, 2023 8:42 AM
Feb 2019
Homura did nothing wrong, Madoka sacrificed her complete being to save the world and in this case to become God means to become nothing.
Her will then, in my point of view, is seen as suicidal (even if the output is very advantageous) and so wrong.
Homura knows it and knows what's best for Madoka even more than Madoka herself.
Homura from her love embracing wisdom knows that there is always some other way, that to sacrifice is pointless and wants to gamble, to risk again, to give the universe another card round but, this time, she's gonna be the croupier and even if this means that also Kyubey will get another chance, she will go for it anyway in order to save her lover.
She is not selfish.
Homura did everything right.
Apr 17, 2023 8:50 AM

Jul 2015
Aloisssss said:
Piromysl said:

From what we know, I disagree with that. I don't see how Homura's action have put anyone in peril. She kept the exact same world, the only difference being that Madoka (as well as Sayaka & Nagisa) are now alive and well. The system Madoka fought for still exist. Simply she can still exist despite that, while before she had to sacrifice herself for that wish to come true. Homura truly created an ideal world for everyone, including Madoka. She only did it for selfish reason, wanting to see Madoka again, but this situation is far better than what we had before.

And, according to the lyrics of "See you Tomorrow" (Madoka's theme), as well as her conversation with Homura on the flower field, Madoka didn't want to be sacrificed. She only did it because she is strong-minded and wanted to save everyone. I don't think she regrets her decision, but being saved by Homura shouldn't be a problem to her either. I don't really understand why Sayaka gets angry at Homura for what she did since everything she did was good ?

So to answer the initial question, did Homura do nothing wrong ? I would say yes.
However, she was only driven by selfish motivations. But I fail to see how her acts have done any harm to their world, if not for her (and Madoka) the Law of Cycle wouldn't ever have existed in the first place, and it's not her fault Kyubey wanted to bring back the old system, and now it won't try it anymore.

Incubators and their work are necessary evil because that's what keeps universe going. Without collecting energy from magical girls universe will die. Homura knows this, but she doesn't care and the worst thing is, that if Universe dies, then Madoka with it, so unless she can think of some sort of substitute, then she has no excuse.
PiromyslApr 17, 2023 8:58 AM

Apr 17, 2023 8:57 AM
Feb 2019
Cancelled comment
Alessio_BollichApr 17, 2023 9:00 AM
Apr 17, 2023 8:58 AM
Feb 2019
Piromysl said:
Aloisssss said:

Incubators and their work are necessary evil because that's what keeps universe going. Without collecting energy from magical girls universe will die. Homura knows this, but she doesn't care.

Homura knows more
A universe like that does not exist
Incubator concealed the likelihood of other possible ways (see, for example, magia record)
Alessio_BollichApr 17, 2023 9:04 AM
Apr 17, 2023 8:59 AM
Jun 2021
Piromysl said:
Aloisssss said:

Incubators and their work are necessary evil because that's what keeps universe going. Without collecting energy from magical girls universe will die. Homura knows this, but she doesn't care and the worst thing is, that if Universe dies, then Madoka with it, so unless she can think of some sort of substitute, then she has no excuse.

I don't see Incubators as always evil. As you said, their job is vital for the universe.

However, to preserve the universe, witches don't need to exist. They already gain energy when magical girl make their contract.

Kyubey knew that but still wanted to go back to the old system. Talking about the sake of the universe is pretty nice, but there was no need to make girls despair to protect the universe. Homura didn't erase Kyubey from existence when rewritting the universe. She even acknowledges the necessity of Incubators in a manga (although it is the comic-one). She simply made sure Incubators wouldn't go back to the old system when it wasn't even needed.
Hence my conclusion ; Homura did nothing wrong. Kyubey did. (In Rebellion, in PMMM I had no hate towards Kyubey.)
Apr 17, 2023 9:34 AM
Jan 2021
I mean, she did do wrong. Her “love” is just her being selfish and possessive. She doesn’t care about Madoka, she is possessive of her and basically feels like she has a right to “own” Madoka through her constant sacrifice from previous timelines.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Apr 17, 2023 11:46 AM
Apr 2020
Every one in this show did a lot of things wrong especially homura but her reasons for doing them make a lot of sense and are understandable that's why people say she did nothing wrong even though she factually did awful things.
Apr 17, 2023 4:18 PM
Mar 2022
I love Homura and she is my favourite character from Madoka, but I have to admit that she indeed did a lot of things wrong
Apr 17, 2023 7:12 PM
May 2021
Jinks2504 said:
Every one in this show did a lot of things wrong especially homura but her reasons for doing them make a lot of sense and are understandable that's why people say she did nothing wrong even though she factually did awful things.

this right here I agree with
Apr 18, 2023 1:11 AM

Feb 2021
Both madoka and homura were wrong. Both madoka and homura didn’t love themselves thus couldn’t see the worth that the other saw in them and thus rejected the world of the other.

Love that is not directed inward cannot love others, thus will only lead to corruption, to despair.

If they loved themselves they wouldn’t need to use a wish.

Only if they accept themselves and love themselves and talk it out without the need for a wish, only then the cycle of their hope and despair will end.
Apr 18, 2023 1:14 AM

Feb 2021
official_brown said:
I mean, she did do wrong. Her “love” is just her being selfish and possessive. She doesn’t care about Madoka, she is possessive of her and basically feels like she has a right to “own” Madoka through her constant sacrifice from previous timelines.

I have to disagree. She cares for madoka. She doesn’t care about herself. She couldn’t accept madoka’s world because she doesn’t love herself. I wrote above in the post my view point you should read it.
Apr 19, 2023 2:43 PM
Apr 2022
I think that meme is just making a joke of the obvious: what Homura did was inherently wrong. But more importantly, the third movie is an antithesis of the series. Where Homura suffered and suffered in an attempt to be selfless and save Madoka, in Rebellion she encapsulates true selfishness and decides to manipulate things according to her desire. Madoka Magica is a romantic tragedy, and Homura betraying Madoka is what makes Rebellion such a powerful story. It’s a testament to how human beings change over time. The values and virtues people have can change over time through trauma and frustration. Even faith can dwindle over time due to prolonged disappointment.
Apr 19, 2023 6:56 PM
Jan 2023
“Yes, she did nothing wrong”
May 5, 2023 5:06 AM
Apr 2023
StanSayakaMiki77 said:
You’ve probably heard this before but once it’s 2023 and no fourth movie is here yet I feel like I should bring this up. In my opinion, I believe that Homura did do some things wrong, she literally pulled down Madoka from heaven or whatever and rewrote the universe that Madoka had wanted, Homura claims she loves her but is going against Madoka’s wish really showing her feelings torwards her? Or was Homura just being selfish? 

Homura Still Did Nothing Wrong
Jun 5, 2023 10:18 AM
Dec 2018
Homura might have done so many wrong things, but did she ever do wrong to Madoka intentionally? Never. The only wrong she ever did was unknowingly increase the karmic destiny of Madoka, which led to a wish that erased Madoka. Apart from that, she did nothing wrong. 
Jun 28, 2023 7:14 AM
Jun 2020
Piromysl said:
Aloisssss said:

The wraith system doesn’t seem to be that effective in preventing the heat death of the universe. That’s literally why Incubator tried to recreate the witch system again and trapped Madoka. You can literally see the end credit of the TV series,at the end of Rebellion opening theme and after the isolated zone was broken that there are nothing but landscapes of sand indicating the energy is running out and the universe is still dying despite the new law.
Jul 18, 2023 5:23 PM

Oct 2019
yes she was being selfish. thats the whole point.

the ultimate act of selfishness contrasting madoka's ultimate act of selflessness.

that said, you can argue that saving a friend even if its by going against everything she stood for, is not exactly "evil". you may even say, its not wrong.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 3: Hangyaku no Monogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dimasmw - Oct 27, 2013

1042 by Biisoo »»
Apr 17, 7:10 AM

» Madoka Magica Rebellion is a masterpiece ( 1 2 )

JezzaC - Jan 28, 2021

65 by HigherLvLThinker »»
Aug 16, 2023 7:00 AM

» Explaining the final twist

APolygons2 - Oct 19, 2022

45 by ScionOfCyan »»
Jan 30, 2023 7:28 PM

» Plot Holes? What exactly happened between.... (movie spoilers)

Rob7 - Sep 24, 2022

18 by APolygons2 »»
Oct 19, 2022 6:45 AM

» Series spoiler! Is the movie somehow related to the tv series?

Alfreda02 - Sep 23, 2022

11 by daibayuus »»
Sep 24, 2022 9:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.