Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 12, 2023 12:18 PM

Oct 2007
Maybe I shouldn't have picked this blind, because I just went into it thinking the story would be completely different.
The interesting part of the whole story for me was Hoshino Ai (Rieri <3), "changing it" to a tensei as a murder mystery is just meh

I will probably continue to watch anyway and probably enjoy it, but right now, I'm just so disappointed they killed the only interesting character at the end of Ep1
belialApr 12, 2023 12:48 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 12, 2023 12:21 PM
Jan 2018
Using the MAL score as a basis I would say that, yes, you are probably one of the only people who are disappointed. 
Apr 12, 2023 12:23 PM
Sep 2020
Yeah, you probably are the only one disappointed, but keep watching cause the story is much more than a mere mystery isekai
Apr 12, 2023 12:28 PM

May 2016
Sounds like the writer did a good job at subverting your expectations. 
Apr 12, 2023 12:30 PM
Dec 2018
Yes, you are. If this is disappointing to you I don't know what else to say really.
Apr 12, 2023 12:31 PM

Sep 2021
I don't know if you're asking for spoilers, but... without spoilers, I can say, there are so many more interesting characters to meet. Like Aqua says, this is only the beginning, the 'prologue'. I don't really think you can say Ai is the only interesting character when you haven't even met most of the core cast yet. It could surprise you.

And with spoilers:

I really felt the same way when I was reading the manga, but trust Akasaka's writing (it's brilliant), and just know that there's so much more to see than what you think. I feel like that's actually one of the main premises of the story, actually. If you're feeling this way after this first episode, it sounds like the writing really did its job.

We can always go somewhere again.
✧✧✧✧✧✧
profilewatchingart credit

Apr 12, 2023 12:33 PM

Dec 2020
It's not even an Isekai, Isekai means in another world, this is a reincarnation story.

Also Yes, you probably are the only person disappointed with the show.

Jun 2019
how tf are u ducking disappointed it was soo fucking good
Oct 2019
Bobba_Ross said:
Using the MAL score as a basis I would say that, yes, you are probably one of the only people who are disappointed. 
I love Oshi No Ko episode 1 but MAL scores is not an ultimate reference, bro has every right to be disappointed
Apr 12, 2023 12:35 PM
Jul 2016
I also went into this show blind and i think i have to agree with you. the writing overall felt really rushed and had no thought behind it. the plot twist was super obvious and even if you weren't expecting it, the pacing and momentum of the first episode was all over the place. 
Apr 12, 2023 12:36 PM
Oct 2021
bro is gonna be like
omg aot was so disappointing
even though i am just in the 1st minute of the 1st episode
(and call me if you need a doctor
cell: 911)
Apr 12, 2023 12:38 PM
Jan 2022
belial said:
Maybe I shouldn't have picked this blind, because I just went into it thinking the story would be completely different.
The interesting part of the whole story for me was Hoshino Ai (Rieri <3), "changing it" to an isekai as a murder mystery is just meh

I will probably continue to watch anyway and probably enjoy it, but right now, I'm just so disappointed they killed the only interesting character at the end of Ep1

You problably expected something else along with lots of people who didn't read the manga but in truth you just had to look on google for the meaning behind the title: "Oshi no Ko"- means something around {Child of the idol you support}.So preaty obvios what the story is about.
Apr 12, 2023 12:41 PM
Jun 2021
I was wondering how Rie Takahashi is doing so many roles. I was so excited because she is really good singer too. She was the main character. Why they do this to the main character ?  I am not disappointed but shocked.  Maybe disappointed little bit because no more Rie Takahashi. I am hooked. In Aka Akasaka, we trust. Studio is also doing great job in animation department. 
Apr 12, 2023 12:46 PM

Feb 2021
idk where the "isekai" part comes in when there is no different world...
Apr 12, 2023 12:48 PM

Oct 2007
Kodoku___ said:
belial said:
The interesting part of the whole story for me was Hoshino Ai (Rieri <3), "changing it" to an isekai as a murder mystery is just meh

You problably expected something else along with lots of people who didn't read the manga but in truth you just had to look on google for the meaning behind the title: "Oshi no Ko"- means something around {Child of the idol you support}.So preaty obvios what the story is about.

I live in Japan, yes, I know the meaning of the title. It was obvious the guy would be the MC from the start, doesn't mean that killing Hoshino Ai was to be expected.
For other people in the thread misunderstanding, I didn't say that the episode wasn't good, it was great. I just didn't expect Hoshino Ai to die, did it " subverting my expectations"? Sure, but that also doesn't mean it's good per-se, as I have no idea if what comes next makes it worth it or not

Should have made it more obvious, but this thread was supposed to be for people that only watched ep1. Ofc manga readers knew what was coming and would not have that reaction
Apr 12, 2023 12:51 PM
Oct 2020
MagicLemon said:
I also went into this show blind and i think i have to agree with you. the writing overall felt really rushed and had no thought behind it. the plot twist was super obvious and even if you weren't expecting it, the pacing and momentum of the first episode was all over the place. 

Valid, when reading the manga I also felt that the first 10 chapters had very strange pacing and character interactions. It's definitely a sensational introduction to the story, but I feel like it is significantly worse from a writing standpoint than the rest of the series (at least up until chapter 80ish, which is as far as I've read)
Apr 12, 2023 12:53 PM
Feb 2022
Did you say that Ai was the only interesting character? oh lol it seems like we got another simp at this point it's better that she died.
And this is the amazing plot twist i have seen in a while, it would have become a boring slice of life anime if she was alive.
Priya0829Apr 12, 2023 12:58 PM

Apr 12, 2023 1:04 PM
Jan 2022
belial said:
Kodoku___ said:

I live in Japan, yes, I know the meaning of the title. It was obvious the guy would be the MC from the start, doesn't mean that killing Hoshino Ai was to be expected.
For other people in the thread misunderstanding, I didn't say that the episode wasn't good, it was great. I just didn't expect Hoshino Ai to die, did it " subverting my expectations"? Sure, but that also doesn't mean it's good per-se, as I have no idea if what comes next makes it worth it or not

Should have made it more obvious, but this thread was supposed to be for people that only watched ep1. Ofc manga readers knew what was coming and would not have that reaction

Fair enough, but You used pretty bad exprimation in your thread.
Apr 12, 2023 1:06 PM

Apr 2021
As someone who has read the manga, I can tell you that Ai isn't the only good character in this show.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2023 1:15 PM
Mar 2022
belial said:
The interesting part of the whole story for me was Hoshino Ai (Rieri <3), "changing it" to a tensei as a murder mystery is just meh

I feel the same 😭
it was a brilliant 1st episode but as someone who didn't read the manga I am disappointed to not be able to see ai's character grow with the kids, without her it feels a bit plain.
I hope it maintains its brilliance in the next episodes, though I believe it will by the rest of the quotes.
just sad to see her go so soon, that's all
Apr 12, 2023 1:20 PM
Mar 2021
Aqua and Ruby are way more interesting than Ai 😂
Apr 12, 2023 1:27 PM
Feb 2023
Jyrkin said:
Aqua and Ruby are way more interesting than Ai 😂

Aqua literally turns bland after some chapters… Did you read the manga?
Apr 2022
belial said:

The other characters get interesting because of her death, that’s what makes her such a good character! The fact that she dies makes the story so much better and increases how interesting each character is!
Jun 2022
Yes you are the only 1 bro
Apr 12, 2023 1:28 PM
Apr 2022
mariacs086 said:
belial said:

I feel the same 😭
it was a brilliant 1st episode but as someone who didn't read the manga I am disappointed to not be able to see ai's character grow with the kids, without her it feels a bit plain.
I hope it maintains its brilliance in the next episodes, though I believe it will by the rest of the quotes.
just sad to see her go so soon, that's all
Don’t worry she leaves a lasting effect on the entire series not to mention the other great characters yet to be introduced or fully developed on
Apr 12, 2023 2:44 PM
Apr 2022
Honestly , that's totally fair

from coming of the manga, I understand where you:re coming from... but still it's just the 1st episode! give it a try!

PS: Guys , saying "look at the rating" let:s wait for the end of the serie, the first episode was a masterpiece, but let's wait for it to settle down
Apr 12, 2023 2:44 PM
Apr 2022
JaysonNnN said:
Bobba_Ross said:
I love Oshi No Ko episode 1 but MAL scores is not an ultimate reference, bro has every right to be disappointed

and for once, he explained why he was disappointed and it was a totally valid critic
Apr 12, 2023 2:52 PM
Mar 2021
yuh chill bro. the writing in this is just amazing. just watch and see :) and to be fair, Ai's character isn't that interesting but your opinion is always valid.
Apr 12, 2023 2:53 PM

Apr 2022
I don't understand your point... Just enjoy the show
Apr 12, 2023 2:58 PM

May 2018
I'm actually surprised ngl, I wasn't expecting much as I'm not too interested in the theme of the story, but turns out it's pretty good. People are overreacting and it's generally overhyped, sure, but I'm not disappointed. 

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Apr 12, 2023 2:58 PM
Feb 2021
If you only look at the Covers you might expect something different but the Synopsis and the Tags gave it already away. In my opinion the "normal" Idol Anime are more likey a Shojou or Shonen theme but Oshi no Ko is more like a Seinen made Idol Anime. The idiom that would be appropriate is Never judge a book by its cover. The first ep was already hyped and they picked  the pefect length for the ep. It realy felt like a  standalone Movie.
Apr 12, 2023 4:04 PM
Jan 2022
You're the odd one out...
Apr 12, 2023 4:06 PM

Jan 2021
I was not dissapointed, it is exactly what I expected from Aka Akasaka.
Apr 12, 2023 4:10 PM
Dec 2021
belial said:

Lol, the very first thing I heard about this was an Anime Man review of the Manga where he brought up the "reborn as an Idol's baby" thing in the video, so I basically knew what the initial setup was going to be. I kind of wished I hadn't heard that, but w/e, it's like, the first 15 minutes of the story, and that's brought up in a lot of summaries of the series even. 

Apr 12, 2023 4:16 PM
Jun 2021
looks like they did their job then 👍
Apr 12, 2023 6:32 PM

Jun 2021
All of this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Personally I don’t like idol shows, and this one is kinda weird in my opinion. Ai feels so out of touch, first with her pregnancy at 16!! And then with her approach to parenting. Not to mention her final scene, where she utters the weirdest things I have ever heard a fatally wounded ever say. Gotta say it’s animated great, and damn she looked great… So I can totally understand if thats why people are watching, but for an insight into idol culture it might be a bit too eventful. And the weird jaded personality of Ai, but randomly not in the end thing thats going on, I’m out.
Apr 12, 2023 6:44 PM
Mar 2021
No I am disappointed seeing you disappointed. But dw the anime is unique. U will like it sooner or later
Apr 12, 2023 7:23 PM
Sep 2016
I'm pretty sure the Ko in Oshi no Ko can mean both child and girl based on context. So Oshi no Ko could be "child of my favorite idol" or "my favorite idol" .

Edit: was meant to be a reply to  but i have no idea how the reply/quote feature works on mal, sorry.
Apr 12, 2023 7:54 PM

Oct 2021
The premise of a young idol juggling between her idol persona and secret children is indeed sounds interesting, so I could understand your disappointment. However, it's kinda weird how fast the children grew up, so there's gotta be some plot twist bs in the end.

For me the disappointment part comes from the mc that just went full edgy, such a shitty character development.
Apr 12, 2023 7:56 PM

Jan 2018
No I think you are fair here. When I picked up the manga I did not even know it was a reincarnation story let along murder subplot. However I did come to enjoy it regardless for that it actually was. But if you felt like the story was not what expected and not to your taste you are valid for that :)
Apr 12, 2023 9:00 PM

Apr 2022
yeah, i was mostly looking forward to this for hoshino ai as well, so i'm bummed to see it happen the way it did. worst part is it didn't even make me that sad, enough to cry.
but let's see how this goes. should clarify that i don't hate it by any means.
Apr 12, 2023 9:40 PM
Jul 2019
Yup, it's only you
Apr 12, 2023 9:48 PM
Mar 2021
Don't worry, it's just first episode that really good for most people here.

Let's see what'll happen next. :)
Apr 12, 2023 9:57 PM

Apr 2010
Yes. You are the only person in the entire world that is disappointed. You are the special one, the one and only, absolute best.

Apr 12, 2023 10:03 PM
May 2021
belial said:

You are the only one 😂😂. This murder mystery actually made this manga so good and intense to read otherwise it would have flopped
Apr 13, 2023 5:36 AM
Aug 2018
While I do think the episode was great, the current rating of the series provides a lot of hype that can deceive newcomers. The way I see it, yeah obviously the rating will decay over the course of the series, and people shouldn’t rate it based on one episode alone, however it’s also up to you to make your own opinion on something.
Apr 13, 2023 6:14 AM

Aug 2014
only thing i am disappointed at is the rating and the #1 spot. it's very obvious that there are far better anime than this. this one is quite good though. i'm just out of the loop on the rating
Apr 13, 2023 6:30 AM
Sep 2021
Oh my god
Bro what?? Smh
Apr 13, 2023 10:38 AM

Feb 2022
AnyaKittyMeow said:
only thing i am disappointed at is the rating and the #1 spot. it's very obvious that there are far better anime than this. this one is quite good though. i'm just out of the loop on the rating
You think it's quite good but you gave it 1 star? This happens all the time, shows get the number 1 spot after a very good premiere then drop back down after a while, it's not exclusive to this show.
Apr 13, 2023 11:01 AM
Dec 2020
belial said:

trust me aquamarine(mc) is gonna be your favorite character somehow
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Would you like to marry Ai given the opportunity? (first ep spoilers)

Shizuna - May 6

40 by A_Yaze »»
42 minutes ago

» Overhyped

Mooogle - May 9

41 by KayKimii »»
Yesterday, 11:44 AM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Usopp8000 - Mar 27, 2023

2678 by wibugar »»
May 9, 3:10 AM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yuyuichi - Jun 28, 2023

680 by Darkiiii »»
May 6, 10:23 PM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ricky16 - May 17, 2023

870 by Tsukimariko »»
May 5, 7:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.