Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 7, 2023 1:34 AM
Jan 2022
Guys its my humble request to everyone who hasnt started summertime or who has just started this anime. Please watch an anime called Higurashi:When they cry before starting Summertime anime. I dont want to spoiil the reason why I am advising this,so please watch Higurashi before summertime.I will give the reason in comments to who has already watched Higurashi.

EDIT: I didnt want to make this post as war between Summertime and Higurashi. Its just my advice to watch Higurashi first and then summertime.You will realize the importance of this sequence after completing both series.
gamiboApr 22, 2023 3:39 AM
Apr 7, 2023 1:48 AM
Jul 2020
Bruh tell me the reason i watched summertime first
Apr 7, 2023 1:53 AM
Wannabe Idol ✌ ♥

Jan 2018
I’ve seen both. I watched Higurashi long before Summertime Render aired.

Did you hear me?
I said I'm gonna do my best!!
Apr 7, 2023 1:54 AM
Feb 2022
i don't think you should. as a higurashi fan i had way too high expectations for summertime because it seemed similar and ended up disappointed because it wasn't even half as good or interesting. watch summertime first so you might actually enjoy it, and then watch higurashi and marvel at how much better it is by comparison.
Apr 7, 2023 2:51 AM
Dec 2020
higurashi is so much worse
Apr 7, 2023 3:02 AM

May 2021
i dont thing there is anything to gain by this,granted that the aspect of time loop is similar,however the story structures and overall idea are oranges and apples.
Apr 7, 2023 3:21 AM
Aug 2021
Unless you aren't very well-versed with time loop shenanigans as a story device, I don't see what could be gained by doing this. The use of it isn't even that much related apart from it just being present in both stories.

STR has a far superior application of it among the two anyways while also being a much better series overall; Higurashi is an interesting watch whereas STR is close to being a masterpiece.

But... I guess I'd be happy to oblige reading your reasoning for it.
Apr 7, 2023 3:32 AM

Feb 2023
Trying to advertize a completely unrelated anime will get you nowhere.

Apr 7, 2023 3:39 AM
Apr 2022
I don’t know, Higurashi’s time loop is more of a sort of “undoing” of the supernatural horror aspect of the beginning. The last episode plays much differently than the first episode. I feel the terror is a lot more realistic. And honestly, I preferred the supernatural terror of the first few episodes. Regardless, Summertime Render doesn’t really utilize its time loop to undo a grand mystery. Once you know the reason why things are happening and who is to blame, it really evolves from a horror into a thriller. I truly enjoyed it nonetheless.
Apr 7, 2023 4:29 AM

May 2020
DeathKnight_ said:

There's no reason. Higurashi and Summertime Render are similar. That's it. So you don't have to watch Higurashi, but i highly recommend it. It's so good!
Apr 7, 2023 4:31 AM
Sep 2021
ruby_whistler said:
i don't think you should. as a higurashi fan i had way too high expectations for summertime because it seemed similar and ended up disappointed because it wasn't even half as good or interesting. watch summertime first so you might actually enjoy it, and then watch higurashi and marvel at how much better it is by comparison.

Why didn't u find it interesting?
Apr 7, 2023 4:52 AM

May 2021
But.......... why?

Apr 7, 2023 4:59 AM
Feb 2022
well i have seen both of them
Apr 7, 2023 5:09 AM
Jan 2022
don't listen to this guy.

he probably just see some resemblance between those two and it blow his mind.
Apr 7, 2023 5:10 AM

Sep 2020
I watched both and honestly both were a bit of a let down. Summertime Render started out really good, dark and mysterious, but over time just became another generic shounen fighting anime
Nino is the objectively superior one, don't @ me
Apr 7, 2023 6:27 AM
Feb 2021
thunderkitten13 said:
I don’t know, Higurashi’s time loop is more of a sort of “undoing” of the supernatural horror aspect of the beginning. The last episode plays much differently than the first episode. I feel the terror is a lot more realistic. And honestly, I preferred the supernatural terror of the first few episodes. Regardless, Summertime Render doesn’t really utilize its time loop to undo a grand mystery. Once you know the reason why things are happening and who is to blame, it really evolves from a horror into a thriller. I truly enjoyed it nonetheless.

wholeheartedly agree, I think Summertime Render's horror aspect peaked with the
, but yeah, overall it was a fun, engaging watch
Apr 7, 2023 6:32 AM
Feb 2019
Animaticide said:
Unless you aren't very well-versed with time loop shenanigans as a story device, I don't see what could be gained by doing this. The use of it isn't even that much related apart from it just being present in both stories.

STR has a far superior application of it among the two anyways while also being a much better series overall; Higurashi is an interesting watch whereas STR is close to being a masterpiece.

But... I guess I'd be happy to oblige reading your reasoning for it.

Higurashi works better when you view it as a character study that uses the time loop element as simply a plot device to explore different sides to his characters.

At its core.. Higurashi isn't really solely a horror, nor is it just a mystery. Its a passion project written from a former japanese social worker/civil servant who uses this complicated story of friendship, secrets, doubt and suspicion to convey its core themes and messages that talking to someone about your problems needs to be encouraged, enduring your problems by yourself is more likely to do damage than good, we need to reach out to others and try to understand one another more, people aren't inheritantly evil they are formed by their circumstances, don't be slaves to your past, we all need to learn to forgive and atone for our past sins, the concept of seeking happiness and how wrong choices can tragically destroy everything.

On top of that it handles strong topics like mental health, medical ethics, mistreatment of children, military and the development of biological weapons, the effects world war 2 had on japanese government politics and so much more. Ryukishi didn't choose the timeframe of 1980's Japan for no reason. Since he carries these same topical discussions over to Umineko, also set in 1980's Japan.

Summertime Rendering may be the more entertaining and narratively satisfying story out of the two. It knows what it is. It doesn't try to be anything more than a fun thrilling ride with twists and turns.

But Higurashi is the more artistic one that has a lot more to say to its audience (or reader since it is a visual novel) other than telling a good horror mystery story. Its no masterpiece.. I'm not claiming it is. But the author's intentions for what he wanted to do with the story are all there from arc 1.
Apr 7, 2023 6:53 AM
Jul 2020
Rad_Scientist said:
DeathKnight_ said:

There's no reason. Higurashi and Summertime Render are similar. That's it. So you don't have to watch Higurashi, but i highly recommend it. It's so good!

Sure i will watch it
Apr 7, 2023 6:54 AM
Jul 2020
MissingNo178 said:
I watched both and honestly both were a bit of a let down. Summertime Render started out really good, dark and mysterious, but over time just became another generic shounen fighting anime

I agree i feel the same it became generic and the last episodes bored me but the start was really gud
Apr 7, 2023 9:36 AM

Mar 2013
I already dropped Higurashi many times already but actually finished Summertime. What to do?
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Apr 7, 2023 3:01 PM
Dec 2021
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:

AMEN! while i do have a special place in my heart for higurashi, summertime rendering truly took the whole “deathloop” approach to an entirely new level of uniqueness and greatness. It was perfectly executed and, honestly, is what i believe will go down as a modern classic.
Apr 7, 2023 3:09 PM

Oct 2021
So what's the reason? Maybe it'll give me a motivation to actually finish this series. Higurashi ain't that good, but I could finish it at least.
Apr 7, 2023 8:15 PM
Dec 2020
coolpowers said:
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:

AMEN! while i do have a special place in my heart for higurashi, summertime rendering truly took the whole “deathloop” approach to an entirely new level of uniqueness and greatness. It was perfectly executed and, honestly, is what i believe will go down as a modern classic.

the deathloop is way more re zero inspired
Apr 8, 2023 12:59 AM

Feb 2020
There is no need to watch Higurashi first. :) or maybe i missed something? Bc I’ve seen Higurashi before STR and I haven’t noticed anything that indicates you have to see one before the other. 🤷

Apr 11, 2023 5:06 AM
Mar 2023
I urge anyone who plans to watch Summer Time Rendering to first watch Groundhog Day.
Apr 22, 2023 3:14 AM
Jan 2022
Cyrose said:
There is no need to watch Higurashi first. :) or maybe i missed something? Bc I’ve seen Higurashi before STR and I haven’t noticed anything that indicates you have to see one before the other. 🤷
Its not like Summertime is continuation of Higurashi thats why u have to watch Higurashi first. U need to watch higurashi first because Higurashi has a similar story,environment but with much detailed characters,deeper and far superior story. If u watch Summertime first then u would be spoiled with its concept and wont be as astonished by Higurashi compared to a person who didnt watch summertime. 
Apr 22, 2023 3:19 AM
Jan 2022
DeathKnight_ said:
Well bro u watched summertime first, now its of no use to tell u why u should watch Higurashi first.Only thing I can tell u now is that watch Higurashi after a long gap.
Apr 22, 2023 3:36 AM
Jan 2022
ruby_whistler said:
I somewhat agree here.But realistically if u watch Summertime first then most people wont even complete 3 episodes of higurashi simply bcoz of the huge animation quality downgrade of Higurashi. One of the reasons why Summertime anime went above its manga is bcoz of the very high quality animation it had. People dont realize that Higurashi was a highly popular Psychological Classic with its manga hugely popular at that time whereas Summertime manga was no where near Higurashi manga's popularity. People wouldnt have even thought of comparing a legendary series like Higurashi with summertime if not for Summertime anime's high quality production that truly improved over its manga.
Apr 22, 2023 10:01 AM
Feb 2022
yeah, the music and animation in summertime is incredible. higurashi might be a turn-off for people because the artstyle is non-cookie cutter (talking about the og seasons for reference). it’s for different kinds of people for sure, just shares some plot elements. summertime feels a lot more like a shounen at times, and that’s not a bad thing.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2022

82 by yusufonur98 »»
May 31, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2022

475 by jaesverse »»
May 24, 4:24 AM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2022

200 by jaesverse »»
May 24, 1:16 AM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2022

124 by Lanz »»
May 23, 11:56 PM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2022

122 by jaesverse »»
May 23, 7:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.