Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 25, 2023 3:54 AM

Aug 2021
Is the Silver Soul Arc supposed to be the culmination of everything Gintama has built for about 300 episodes? I'm confused because I think Gintama already peaked with Gintoki vs Takasugi fight and certain dude reveal in FS arc. The last arc in Gintama that I thoroughly enjoyed was Rakuyo battle decisive arc. 

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of stuff in Sliver soul arc that I really appreciate like NobuNobu's redemption, Takasugi's character development, Utsuro battle, and all characters teaming for one final battle. I started watching Gintama for the primary reason that Gintama fans were telling me that its final arcs are some of the best in shonen

What really surprised me is that they told me that it wraps up every single plot thread imaginable and all side characters get a satisfying ending and they have a lot of character development. 

I just watched 300 episodes just to see how Gintama handles its stuff compared to other shonen. By the time, I finished Gintama, I had a feeling that I am finally done with the series because of ending fatigue. Gintama is still one of my favourite shonens, despite of all that, I was quite underwhelmed by this final arc because of the status quo ending. 
Feb 25, 2023 4:17 AM

Jun 2016
No I consider it the weakest part of the series. After the Rakuyo Battle arc I lost almost all investment I had in the series overarching plot so those episodes and the movie were a bit of a chore to finish without the lengthy comedy breaks I had become accustomed to.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Feb 25, 2023 5:04 AM
May 2021
I think ss arc has lots of unnecessary comedy and some corny scenes other than that the conclusion movie was awesome.
Feb 25, 2023 5:06 AM

Sep 2020
Early Gintama is peak Gintama. The final arcs are great but I will remember it for it being a comedic masterpiece in the early seasons.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Feb 25, 2023 5:37 AM

Apr 2022
no, that's what the final movie is - a culmination of everything gintama has done. i was also lowkey disappointed in it. it's a step down for gintama standards for sure but at least the movie made up for it.
Feb 25, 2023 9:20 AM
Nov 2020
I actually liked Silver soul. There is some great character development for Takasugi. Backstory for Kiheitei. Great moments for Bansai and Takechi. Even Sadaharu gets a character arc. Plus Utsuro. The comedy is hit or miss but it has one of the funniest episodes in Gintama Dun Dun .
Feb 25, 2023 6:10 PM
Dec 2021
Sanjay63773 said:
Is the Silver Soul Arc supposed to be the culmination of everything Gintama has built for about 300 episodes? I'm confused because I think Gintama already peaked with Gintoki vs Takasugi fight and certain dude reveal in FS arc. The last arc in Gintama that I thoroughly enjoyed was Rakuyo battle decisive arc. 

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of stuff in Sliver soul arc that I really appreciate like NobuNobu's redemption, Takasugi's character development, Utsuro battle, and all characters teaming for one final battle. I started watching Gintama for the primary reason that Gintama fans were telling me that its final arcs are some of the best in shonen

What really surprised me is that they told me that it wraps up every single plot thread imaginable and all side characters get a satisfying ending and they have a lot of character development. 

I just watched 300 episodes just to see how Gintama handles its stuff compared to other shonen. By the time, I finished Gintama, I had a feeling that I am finally done with the series because of ending fatigue. Gintama is still one of my favourite shonens, despite of all that, I was quite underwhelmed by this final arc because of the status quo ending. 

I appreciate the Silver Soul Arc no questions!, 10/10
Feb 25, 2023 6:21 PM
Nov 2020
While I genuinely agree that the SA arc is literally peak Gintama, I can't say that I'm someone who really was disappointed with the SS arc. For me I was most disappointed was the Rakuyo Battlr Indecisive Arc because evry new character felt like unnecessary additions and apart from Kagura's family, everyone was bit weaker than they used to be.

I genuinely think the SS arc as a whole as an amazing arc and the movie as a masterpiece. On first watch of the arc, I was also somewhat let down of it but on a rewatch of the whole series, the SS arc is genuinely a fitting and beautiful arc to end Gintama in my opinion. Yes, there is not much big character development that happened and the Liberation Army is somewhat devisive but what made the arc so good is how it utilized every character it had on its arsenal and how it contrasted to the current position of the story and Gintoki's current state. After the many events that happened, while not obvious, we see Gintoki becoming very distressed of the whole ordeal with Utsuro. We see pain in his eyes whenever he sees Utsuro. Then, one by one, his friends and comrades are starting to reappear and help him in this trying time. Also just my opinion but I love the comedy in this arc as it somewhat returns that standard Gintama vibe while still treating it asbig thing. Almost every joke (except for that one episode with Hata) lands in my opinion and it creates a great tone for the first half. The second half then takes it all away again as Utsuro enters. The way Utsuro was defeated for me personally was very poetic in the way and while this might not have the greatest choreography nor animation in Gintama, it is one my favorite fights here because of its thematic importance and just how emotional it is for botj Gintoki's side and Utsuro.

About the status quo thing, I have to disagree because that is not a detriment in what they building up. The epilogue arc shows us a somewhat return to form with minute changes. But also, we feel that something is off still. The epilogue arc is about reaffirming to Gintoki of what he needs to do and that the present that he has now is something that he needs to keep. A major overhaul change I think is in direct opposition with what Gintoki's arc and the series as a whole is trying to create. A band of misfits and weirdos trying to move on from their past and moving on to a new era. What made The Final to me a masterpiece is how it handled and created this Gintoki, this emotional, sensitive, yet more determined version of himself. Even while Gintoki is fighting to save Shoyo, he know what he truly wants to protect now. This is indirect contrast with Takasugi who is always and hellbent about Shoyo, losing himself in the process. It also handled the Utsuro fight very beautifully anticlimactic. Gintoki and Takasugi are both the best examples of a human in the show, something Utsuro loathes, fears, and yearns at the same time. What is so conclusive about the Final and SS arc as a whole is the fact that it reaffirms its previous values, its characters from past and present and how it relieves Gintoki of his old burden.He can now truly and finally move forward to the present he desires.

Tl;DR I disagree because the Silver Soul Arc is about reaffirming the values and the things the Yorozuya learned and experience in their lives and a status quo change is actually counterintuitive with that fact which is why the movie was about Gintoki settling his past to be able to return to his new home.

So yeah, its still a great culmination of everything up until the end.
Feb 26, 2023 5:22 PM
Aug 2021
Silver Soul is kind of messed up. Sorachi seemed to be lost, not knowing where to take the story and stalled a bit. It's a good bow, but not one of the best in Gintama.
Mar 11, 2023 11:07 AM

Jun 2020
The worst part of it imo was the not rlly funny comedic first half coming right after the slip arc, which also had bad comedy. Also there should have been less cop out deaths, I’m glad a lot of characters survived but honestly nobody would have cared if that monkey commander died

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama: The Final Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

myth720 - Jan 10, 2021

180 by MewkiWay »»
Feb 23, 8:02 PM

» Kinda disappointed

MikeyFromCali - May 7, 2022

49 by goaTMaru »»
Nov 4, 2023 11:26 AM

» Can someone explain me how gintoki killed utsuro?

DENAM_106 - Jun 26, 2023

1 by Dumb »»
Jul 17, 2023 10:22 AM

» Kurokono Tasuke

Jozuwa-_- - Apr 25, 2023

6 by MikeyFromCali »»
Apr 27, 2023 2:27 AM

» Gintama Special News

moustafa356780 - Mar 19, 2023

8 by KingOfMAL »»
Mar 20, 2023 12:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.