Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Eminence in Shadow (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 17, 2023 8:18 AM

Jan 2021
It seems like the true best part of the show were the friends we made along the way. And basically what Merve2Love said lol
Ionliosite2Feb 17, 2023 8:23 AM
Feb 17, 2023 8:52 AM
Apr 2020
V1P3R0P said:
Nomori said:
Reading all of these responses I definitely should like this show, but for some reason it just missed it's mark hah. It's fun seeing other people's perspective though.

You are lucky people were reasonably sharing their honest opinions to you even though you told you didn't like this show as much as them. If it were some other popular show like Chainsaw man or something, and you gave some opinion like this, the fandom would hunt you down like a witch and burn you alive.

I think the way he expressed his opinion made the difference, he didn't give a stupid grade (1-3), and he expressed his opinion in a friendly way....tbh I hate wild fans too
Feb 17, 2023 9:18 AM
Sep 2021
Its better than those shitty isekai you love. Now cry about it
Feb 17, 2023 9:28 AM
Sep 2018
Yeah 😅 6/10 this was not to my liking
Feb 17, 2023 9:31 AM
Apr 2020
Lmao. Stupid are those who just don't seem to be able to grasp the fun. LN readers know that it's a pure gem. The writing is just stonks. The Dialogues are just Epic. And the Art as well is Epic.

All in all. It is easily one of the Best Isekai.

Also, Van Beethoven himself Reincarnated in order to do the Music for the show. That's enough to tell just how great it is🗿

So, for those who don't like it, cry about it.
Feb 17, 2023 9:54 AM
Apr 2022
V1P3R0P said:
Nomori said:
Reading all of these responses I definitely should like this show, but for some reason it just missed it's mark hah. It's fun seeing other people's perspective though.

You are lucky people were reasonably sharing their honest opinions to you even though you told you didn't like this show as much as them. If it were some other popular show like Chainsaw man or something, and you gave some opinion like this, the fandom would hunt you down like a witch and burn you alive.
I know right? Us isekai fans are the most civilized group, we all know we are trash and that’s why we are so welcoming. Like a garbage can, we don’t discriminate against what comes in, everything just becomes one…
Feb 17, 2023 9:56 AM
Jul 2020
troons cant understand edgy chuuni peak but when they see a chick with anxiety disorder they turn off their brains and go "OmG sHE iS JuST lIkE mE"
vitor03Feb 17, 2023 12:18 PM
Feb 17, 2023 10:30 AM
Apr 2020
Nomori said:
I'm genuinely curious why people love it so much. I enjoy generic isekai, especially if they have something a bit different. It was fine... but boring. It felt a bit like they took something from every isekai show I ever watched, put it into the blender and the tasteless outcome was that black goo Shadow Garden is using... And I completely do not understand what drives any of the characters in this show (maybe aside that gambling "friend" and Beatrix).

Not every story has to be introspective and make someone reflect on their life decisions. Sometimes you just have to learn to have fun, and this was just that. Dumb fun from start to finish.

Nothing too complicated, a fun plot, nice comedy, good animation, VA and incredible soundtrack. Just enjoy it for what it is. IMO being generic isn't bad if it's executed well.

TLDR just learnt to enjoy
Feb 17, 2023 10:34 AM

Feb 2017
I didn't watch the anime but I did like the manga. It makes fun of many classic tropes in other such fantasy/adventure shows. It even makes fun of our MC as well as his interactions with his subordinates. We have a chuuni protagonist. A deliberately fucked up name for an antagonist. The references to the 1997 Diablo game. A yandere sister. A shojo manga exchange student warrior princess. What's not to like? I was reading the manga mainly for it's comedy value more than anything else. It's not an isekai masterpiece but it's a much better show than most other recent isekais.
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Feb 17, 2023 12:57 PM
Apr 2020
My thoughts on the series, copied this from a comment I made in the Episode 20 Discussion.
As much as I'd like to treat this series as a normal fantasy adventure Isekai, you just can't. The entire premise of the story is about the MC looking cool/going full chunnibyou when he adopts his Shadow persona and being as much of a background character as Cid. As the audience, we are mostly here for the comedic aspect surround that premise. There are no stakes involved and we are just here for the ride. The story/plot just flows along and the MC doesn't really get directly involved in anything. Although he is the main focal point of the series, it's all purely coincidental through his actions in becoming "The Eminence in the Shadow" from the very start (everything just falls back on to MC's journey to be "The Eminence in the Shadow").
As for why I like the show... I guess I like the aesthetics of it? I'm a sucker for world building and stringing me along to unravel the mystery of the plot of which this series has none so I always wondered why I still continue watching/reading. I took a moment to think and came with a conclusion, I like how the random encounters with the MC (coincidentally) led to the creation of Shadow Garden and them being a highly successful organization because of his nonsense which generates the comedy aspect of the series. That is the basis of the plot. Not the whole being against the Cult of Diablos or taking over the world or whatever.

Yeah the fights are cool and flashy which are pleasing on the eye but at the end of the day they amount to nothing much. The only thing that pushes the plot is the random things that MC do and everyone just goes along with it. Think the sasuga Ainz moments in Overlord but cranked up to 500% + the same amount of chunnibyou. Instead of keeping up with appearances and being considerate/aware of his subordinates, MC just does whatever he wants, is completely 100% uninvolved in anything and the plot just goes on. The only thing on MC's mind is min maxing how to be cool as Shadow and how to be a background character as Cid. He doesn't care for any consequences other than those two things. World ending? Doesn't matter as long as I captilised on the event and looked cool af (he might save the world so that everyone would call him cool or he might end it as a finales, it's really a toss of a coin). 
Feb 17, 2023 7:51 PM

Jul 2015
in a world where nearly every show is some giga level high chess move behind the scenes game or tries to be and fails miserably and over the top with shit that doesn't matter.

This show is simple in it's premise and is funny to boot.
Same reason that i love the Misfit demon anime.

It's just simple doesn't try too hard to make some backstory that's indepth and focus on insane amounts of worldbuilding has an old 90's Fantasy vibe.
Feb 18, 2023 2:25 PM
Aug 2022
I don't know what I was quite expecting from this anime when I first started watching, I saw some posts about it on Reddit and decided to give it a try expecting it to be mediocre yet fun to watch Isekai. The first episode showed some promise, and the second had some ups and downs but in each episode, it kept getting more interesting, and overall what a glorious ride it has been.

The thing is, there isn't even any other anime like this one. MC just wants to put out a great show and he is literally roleplaying in a fantasy setting. He also was just as crazy in his previous life. I also find some of his childish fantasies like being a student by day and a hero by night during real-world arc kinda relatable. I would daydream stuff like that when I was a kid. 

Back to the fantasy world, he wants to roleplay cliche scenes and tropes from the modern world he reincarnated from. He has interesting ideals, his morality is out of the gate, what he cares about, and what he wants to do is to put out a great show for everyone to be struck in awe. He chose one way to do it, and it is to be an eminence in shadow. He roleplays a background mob character when he is not Shadow but when he is, he plays the mysterious hero or the unexpected villain and he nails it. 

He is quite cracked in the head and is disconnected from reality, he perceives everything differently in his own twisted mind but everything works out just fine in the end. Although he is not some kind of mastermind genius like Light (Death Note) or Lelouch (Code Geass) he certainly seems like one to the shadow garden and his enemies. I usually dislike stuff like this (couldn't stand it in Overlord for example) but in this show, they really managed to make it work because MC doesn't even try to outsmart anyone, he is not being careful on purpose either. It's not like he makes up a bad plan and it works somehow, no, it's nothing like that because MC literally has no plan, he doesn't know even what he says, he says something if it feels cool to say it at that moment, he just performs and the quality of his performance is what he cares about. He does his acting so well stars aligning to make it work feels quite fun to watch. 

Watching different personas of MC has been great fun too. Garden thinks Shadow as an enigmatic anti-hero on a lonely journey dedicated to eradicating evil from their world is his real self, the real Shadow but others think background persona Cid is the only real persona, and to some Shadow is seen as evil incarnate but only we viewers see what he truly is. It's a neat concept. In final words, it's original and I loved it. There are times when it's like Konosuba and the show makes you laugh but at other times you are thrown into an epic fight scene from fate zero and MC goes literally atomic. It must have been really hard to balance all that and yet the show delivers.
Feb 18, 2023 3:31 PM

Nov 2013
This show is one of few shows I disliked a lot. Gave it 4/10 and I rarely rate shows so poorly.

I came to conclusion that this is purely ME problem, so I'd advise any fanboys to not lose temper reading the rant below. Nothing personal. Comedy is subjective after all.

Before that though, one thing I still don't understand is why some people claim this to be a parody? Why would you even consider this to be a parody? Because it's dumb? Because of exaggerations when it comes to Shadow-garden characters? Is every show with OP characters supposed to be a parody? Dunno...

I've seen trash Isekais, I've seen anime with cringe MCs. This show is said to be a combination of both. And yet, I found very little worth liking. The entire show felt hollow to me. When the final title rolled, I asked myself "what the F did I just watch?" - a waste of time. The fact we see dozens of girls who are your typical "f-dolls" with a personality of a boiled potato, doesn't make the show any more appealing. But that seems to be ME problem as well since there are countless people who couldn't care about character development, as long as the said "character" is wild and hot. I mean there's a reason why every ED has a sexualized/fetishized "puzzle" of yet another hot girl. You can immediately guess the target audience and the priorities when it comes to "plot development". I've heard people claim the manga is much more comedic? Maybe the anime version was much "worse" in comparison? Maybe it caters to already established fanbase, just like with Mushoku Tensei? Sure the animation in this anime was great, but there's no fun watching paint dry. 

I suppose the biggest problem here is with me disliking Chunibyo characters in general. I mean, I don't have problems tolerating idiot characters. Chunibyo however make me cringe harder than entirely cringe shows. I mean, I've seen arguably the most cringe show of all time - Watamote. And yet, I found it to be more fun than this garbage (IMO). Cringe character usually have personalities. Watching characters like CID is like watching a mentally disabled struggle to pick up a spoon to feed themselves. There's nothing funny in that.

What's the appeal of the show? Retarded yet OP MC being the strongest in the world? OP yet forgettable gacha-girls literally just existing? Dunno and honestly don't care to know any more. IMO the show was so bad, I don't even want to check out the manga to see the difference. Show's over, moving on...
Feb 18, 2023 5:49 PM

Oct 2021
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Before that though, one thing I still don't understand is why some people claim this to be a parody? Why would you even consider this to be a parody? Because it's dumb? Because of exaggerations when it comes to Shadow-garden characters? Is every show with OP characters supposed to be a parody? Dunno...
It's a parody the same way OPM is a parody, a comic relief mc in a serious story, this is subjective tho. The show itself never marketed as a parody, but a misunderstanding serious comedy.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
What's the appeal of the show? Retarded yet OP MC being the strongest in the world? OP yet forgettable gacha-girls literally just existing?
You could check the characters section for this and see which one has the most favorites.
Feb 18, 2023 7:28 PM

Mar 2012
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
The fact we see dozens of girls who are your typical "f-dolls" with a personality of a boiled potato

Said girls are hypercompetent superhuman or superelves that materializes protagonists random ramblings about his previous worlds to become very influential people in that world. Aside Delta ho is overpowered pet dog, Eta is an inventor that recreate earth technologies, Epsilon is famous pianist, Beta is similar but a writer, Gamma is a tycoon who own most successful business empire in that world and Alpha is the real Eminence in Shadow unlike certain LARPing boy. I'm skipping Zeta for spoiler reason btw. The reason why shadow garden members are obsessed with protagonist is obvious, he cured them from demon possession and gave them new life after every single person in said girls life abandoned them because of the possession. About character development, no offense but do you watch the show at double speed because the three princesses have a lot of it especially Rose who was the crown princess who at the last episode lost everything including her name
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 19, 2023 1:17 AM

Apr 2018
Female characters it's just like why everyone likes the Monogatari series.

Feb 19, 2023 2:56 AM
Apr 2020
I have no idea it just appeals to me and liked it more than i should’ve
Feb 19, 2023 4:47 AM

Apr 2017
excuse me? 
Leothebeast said:
I enjoyed the humor of it. It was like a combination of konosuba and chunibyo
there was humor? where?

DoctorWasabi said:
It's main appeal is the comedy. Though the serious moments were pretty cringe ( even if it's intentional )
It was enjoyable for me. Just turn off your brain and see the MC as nothing more than a meme lord.
again someone saying the appeal is comedy...where?
Feb 19, 2023 5:32 AM

Nov 2013
thieftheodore said:
About character development, no offense but do you watch the show at double speed because the three princesses have a lot of it especially Rose who was the crown princess who at the last episode lost everything including her name
I was referring more to garden characters when talking about characters with no development, but ok, let's talk about the princesses. You say three princesses. Did you actually mean TWO princesses? I mean, did Iris get any development? She's just a typical "burdened" older sibling who convinced herself she HAS to be stronger and better. She's as basic as it gets. That other girl, Sherry had better development in comparison.
Rose got developed for sure. She is bound to be more important, considering she's already pretty much op now, effortlessly beating the younger sister and joining the garden. Alexia is the main supporting character driving the plot forward. A typical "savior" vibes but still nothing special IMO.

Whenever garden characters are shown, I usually have no idea who they are and why I should care considering their numbers. I'm left with an impression characters are ALL female (and this many) purposefully because this show would otherwise NOT generate enough attention. Basically baiting people with "come look at all the sexy anime girls we have here" type of empty show - My POV.

A person in this thread mentioned to me OPM. Take shows like OPM for instance. You can have a show with a god-lvl OP MC without it being boring. You don't have to have a full-female cast to be an interesting show either. This show just fails at being interesting IMO. Vast majority of characters in this show can be described in just a single sentence. Delta, the most favorited character of the show, when she appeared and demolished the fat guy. I was like: *insert Thanos's I don't even know who you are meme*. She's a beast-girl, she's hot, she goes wild. Yeah... so? Is that it? She's a 1-dimensional character like a lot of them, including Cid's sister. Shalltear from Overlord is a better example of an OP female character done right for instance. Delta is shallow in comparison. And, when talking about Shalltear, I'm talking about S1 of overlord alone.

Unlike S rank heroes from OPM, I couldn't care less about any of the characters from the garden. When they're on screen, it's just dumb fanservice or them smashing things or doing random shit. It's like I'm already supposed to know who they are. As I've said, they're just OP hot girls - that's it. And MAL says they're MAIN characters, not support?! Damn...

When it comes to CID, I came to conclusion that I personally just can't bring myself to like Chunibyu characters. Chunibyu are basically mentally ill people IMO. Schizophrenic people who I can't really enjoy seeing on screen.

This is basically why I didn't like the show, if you care to know my opinion. Is chunibyu perhaps the main reason why this show is rated so high? There's barely any comedy so that shouldn't be a reason - or am I wrong? Is it because of dumb hot girls? Dunno.
Sigmar-UnberogenFeb 19, 2023 5:36 AM
Feb 19, 2023 6:25 AM
Sep 2018
No idea.
Isekai is one of favorite genre, already saw 30+, and I don't really dislike shows, but this has nothing special going on, it's on the same level people call "trash isekai", so out of all those many shows this is getting so high rated doesn't makes sense.
Feb 19, 2023 6:50 AM
Jun 2020
I dropped the anime after i saw shadow and his delusions i was about to smash my head into a stone wall because of the extreme Level of cringe and the Animation was more the misfit of demon academy generic level
Feb 19, 2023 7:20 AM

Mar 2012
harshtruth said:
again someone saying the appeal is comedy...where?

Comedy is subjective, plus explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
I was referring more to garden characters when talking about characters with no development, but ok, let's talk about the princesses........

what's wrong with saving shadow garden backstory for later? Their backstory aren't really needed for current plot point anyway. and when it's revealed it's actually impact the plot massively like what happened in latest book. I won't go into details because spoilers obviously

about the princess, Since Rose is very obvious let's talk about Alexia. She went from having inferiority complex to her big sister to the point hating and abandoning her own sword style. Everything was changed when Shadow saved her and she witnessed how basic Shadow sword technique is. She's starting back to basic getting over her inferiority complex and getting stronger because of it. There's more like how she want to uncover the cult but it's more next season material. While in Iris case beside the obvious story about the fall for grace of big fish in small pond. Her case is actually fanservice for LN volume 5 reader. Her scenes actually explain the reason for her behavior in LN volume 5

thieftheodoreFeb 19, 2023 8:30 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 19, 2023 9:14 AM

Nov 2013
thieftheodore said:
what's wrong with saving shadow garden backstory for later? Their backstory aren't really needed for current plot point anyway. and when it's revealed it's actually impact the plot massively like what happened in latest book.
What's wrong? For the anime-onlies like me there's little to no value seeing hollow characters on screen doing random bullshit, that's what's wrong. Later when? They had 20 freaking episodes for it already. Isn't that more than enough? Overlord for instance has a cast of OP characters but the show managed to hook me anyways - at least for another season. Why? Because it cared explaining characters and do some worldbuilding, rather than wasting time on (yet again) random bullshit and fanservice. If the story decides to actually pay attention to the development of MAIN characters after several volumes, don't be surprised if I'll lose interest and be gone by the time that happens. I mean, I'm talking for myself here. I'll definitely not watch S2 of this show anyways, considering nothing remotely interesting happened in S1 that would encourage me to watch more. If the anime did a better job with first impressions, I'd stick around. If hot girls were meant to be the bait, sorry but that kind of cheap bait doesn't work on me.

So, my hypothesis is pretty much right. People who are familiar to the source, be it LN/WN/Manga are likely to LOVE this show regardless, while new people are likely to end up more confused and disinterested. Obviously I'm not talking for everyone here but catering to already existing fans isn't the smartest choice when trying to attract new customers.

Thank you for your time, but I suppose there's nothing left to discuss here.
Sigmar-UnberogenFeb 19, 2023 9:20 AM
Feb 19, 2023 10:57 AM

Jan 2021
thieftheodore said:
Said girls are hypercompetent superhuman or superelves that materializes protagonists random ramblings about his previous worlds to become very influential people in that world.

This doesn't stop them from having the personality of a potato.
Feb 19, 2023 3:47 PM

Mar 2012
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
What's wrong? For the anime-onlies like me there's little to no value seeing hollow characters on screen doing random bullshit, that's what's wrong. Later when? They had 20 freaking episodes for it already. Isn't that more than enough?

Seven shades aren't the main characters at least in this 20 episode. This season is not about them, so it's make sense to save their story for later. It's mainly about Alexia, Sherry and Rose. Shafow garden girls actually recurring side characters. Even the official site list them at the bottom
https://shadow-garden.jp/character/

Ionliosite2 said:

Yeah sure Alpha who earnestly copying Cid 's LARP as Eminence in Shadow is same with dumb but lovable Delta or Epsilon who refined her magic control so much to beat the "natural" or delusional Beta who self insert and replace every girl with herself in Shadow adventure, etc.
Just because you don't watch the show properly doesn't make them potato
Feb 19, 2023 5:30 PM

Jan 2021
thieftheodore said:
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
What's wrong? For the anime-onlies like me there's little to no value seeing hollow characters on screen doing random bullshit, that's what's wrong. Later when? They had 20 freaking episodes for it already. Isn't that more than enough?

Seven shades aren't the main characters at least in this 20 episode. This season is not about them, so it's make sense to save their story for later. It's mainly about Alexia, Sherry and Rose. Shafow garden girls actually recurring side characters. Even the official site list them at the bottom
https://shadow-garden.jp/character/

Ionliosite2 said:

Yeah sure Alpha who earnestly copying Cid 's LARP as Eminence in Shadow is same with dumb but lovable Delta or Epsilon who refined her magic control so much to beat the "natural" or delusional Beta who self insert and replace every girl with herself in Shadow adventure, etc.
Just because you don't watch the show properly doesn't make them potato

I mean, saying one single trait about them won't make them have an actual personality. And I know what you said aren't what they are, but I honestly can barely say who Delta and Epsilon are, they are so superfluous I could just not remember them at all and do just fine with the series.
Feb 19, 2023 10:54 PM

Oct 2008
Was it a good show, no.
Was it an unwatchable show, no.
Was it a boring show, maybe.
Was it a cringe show, a little.
Which makes this show, average at best.
Feb 19, 2023 10:59 PM

Jan 2013
Sigmar-Unberogen said:

So, my hypothesis is pretty much right. People who are familiar to the source, be it LN/WN/Manga are likely to LOVE this show regardless, while new people are likely to end up more confused and disinterested. Obviously I'm not talking for everyone here but catering to already existing fans isn't the smartest choice when trying to attract new customers.
New fans almost certainly make up the majority of people who like the show, you might just have higher standards for power fantasy than them. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 19, 2023 11:30 PM

Mar 2012
Ionliosite2 said:

I mean, saying one single trait about them won't make them have an actual personality. And I know what you said aren't what they are, but I honestly can barely say who Delta and Epsilon are, they are so superfluous I could just not remember them at all and do just fine with the series.

Seven shade role on the story at this point beside to show how big and powerful shadow garden is, are mainly to be the one that implemented modern earth technology that's it. Their turn in the main story aren't here yet.
Please also remember EiS actually a multimedia project. Kadokawa would gladly sell you spin-off about the seven shade (shadow gaiden and the master of garden) if you want to know more about them
Feb 20, 2023 9:06 AM

Apr 2017
thieftheodore said:
Comedy is subjective, plus explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process
not a single piece of humor landed. comedy is subjective but if something doesn't even make you chuckle within 20 episodes, either they overplayed the same unfunny joke or every joke missed the mark or it's just not funny.
Feb 20, 2023 9:35 AM

Jan 2021
thieftheodore said:
Ionliosite2 said:

Seven shade role on the story at this point beside to show how big and powerful shadow garden is, are mainly to be the one that implemented modern earth technology that's it. Their turn in the main story aren't here yet.
Please also remember EiS actually a multimedia project. Kadokawa would gladly sell you spin-off about the seven shade (shadow gaiden and the master of garden) if you want to know more about them

I'm not interested in seeing a spin-off if the characters apparently play an important role in the main story then they should have their stuff at least explained there.
Feb 20, 2023 10:35 AM

Sep 2018
Sigmar-Unberogen said:

What evidence do you have to support your hypothesis?

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Feb 20, 2023 1:18 PM

Nov 2013
borderliner said:
Sigmar-Unberogen said:

Hypothesis - a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation.

Limited evidence here being people on the forums of this show, of course.
Sigmar-UnberogenFeb 20, 2023 1:28 PM
Feb 20, 2023 2:18 PM

Sep 2018
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
borderliner said:

Hypothesis - a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation.

Limited evidence here being people on the forums of this show, of course.

There's a limit to limited evidence, and you've veered hard into anecdotal

Below is limited evidence, I can use that to hypothesise that most (>75%) people really liked this show

I can also use it to hypothesise that the haters (where you live) comprise an insignificant < 5% of the viewers

Score Stats
10 22.8% (28281 votes)
9 25.1% (31138 votes)
8 28.6% (35581 votes)
7 14.4% (17830 votes)
6 4.7% (5874 votes)
5 2.0% (2480 votes)
4 1.1% (1378 votes)
3 0.6% (723 votes)
2 0.3% (425 votes)
1 0.4% (536 votes)

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Feb 20, 2023 3:40 PM

Nov 2013

borderliner said:
There's a limit to limited evidence
Ironically you still use the same limited evidence to hypothesize that I'm a hater. Funny to see you contradict yourself in just 3 sentences. I'd blame that on unnecessary anger dwelling within you. Typical fanboy vibes, what can I say?
borderliner said:
haters (where you live)
What's that even supposed to mean? Forget it, I don't really care to know.

Anyways, it was pretty easy to anticipate your next reply would be emotionally driven, judging by that rather dumb question.

Spinning the definition of the word "hypothesis" to serve your narrative is pathetic to be honest. limited evidence is limited evidence. There's no threshold unless we're talking about irrefutable facts - our topic is not the case though.

Retuning to the topic, had I done an actual research on the subject, my hypothesis would stop being a hypothesis and I'd obviously be using a different word instead. The person I was talking with has read the novel and the fact he already knew the characters in depth (who I see as shallow nobodies due to poor development), he likely found it easier to tolerate and enjoy all the random bullshit happening on screen when they were involved. Even if this wasn't the primary and only reason for his enjoyment. Then, there are other people on this very thread sharing my opinion on why the show didn't hook them: be it absence of character development, arguably shitty comedy, absence of any real plot etc.

I did also say that I'm not talking for all people here, and I did use the word "likely". Implying I'm assuming stuff while being aware that there are plenty of new people who did like this show even though they were not necessarily familiar with the source.
BUT, there are also NOT FEW people who didn't like the show precisely because they weren't familiar with the source and didn't tolerate nonsense in the span of 20 episodes - resulting in dislikes and poor score. In contrary, what evidence do you actually have to suggest those 10/10 people, even half of them, are not familiar with the source material and weren't influenced by it when judging the anime? Did you check their profiles to see if they've read the Novel or the manga, or not? This is precisely what I meant with "I anticipated your next response be emotional". Asking for an evidence for a hypothesis on Mal forums. You must be joking... or actually mad. Usually it's the latter, considering you got offended by my a mere hypothesis. Obviously the evidence was going to be limited.

Here's the deal. More than anything I'd love to avoid wasting my time on people who never had any intention to have a reasonable dialogue, but still decided to imitate one simply to vent their frustration. I'm not a hater who wants to shit on your favorite show in an attempt to somehow "hurt" it. I'm exercising my free will to elaborate why I didn't like it, if anyone cares to know - simple as that. Assuming stuff and hypothesizing using limited evidence is a natural process, there's no need to get unnecessarily frustrated over something so simple. That other person I was talking with was mature enough to hear my POV without getting "triggered" by a harmless word.

I'd like to end this discussion with classic proposal: "Let's agree to disagree on things". At the end of the day we just don't like the show same way. You're free to call it a masterpiece. I'm free to call it a garbage. The end. No need to continue this charade and chase words for no reason.
Sigmar-UnberogenFeb 20, 2023 3:46 PM
Feb 20, 2023 11:55 PM
Oct 2016
What was good about the show? I don't know. Tastes and opinions on shows are always subjective. One person's favorite show might be another's least favorite.

Why do I think this show is popular and became a breakout hit? I don't think there's a single reason. I think that with the show being 20 episodes, it was able to take its time a little more and lean into the source material most. Most shows like this, based on a light novel series only get about 12 episodes or so. Sometimes they rush through the light novel. Look at Arifureta. They butchered the setup and it left a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of fans.

Cid is an enjoyable and unique protagonist. He's smart, competent, and OP, but he's also very dense and lacks self-awareness. He's fixated on roleplaying his childhood fantasy. He doesn't really care about anything else. That's comedic and funny. It's funny how Shadow/Cid is just making everything up as he goes, and somehow it all turns out to be true. Somehow the author found this weird way of both satirizing chuuni material while also making it cool at the same time. So when Cid launches "I Am Atomic," it's both simultaneously ridiculous, funny, yet also cool and awe-inspiring at the same time.

The best isekai are the ones that play around with the genre and do something off the beaten path instead of doing the typical isekai tropes. The Eminence in Shadow is not. Cid is the protagonist, but he's not aiming to be the protagonist or the hero. He just wants to be the cool character in the background who affects the story. He doesn't want to be Speed Racer. he wants to be Racer X. He doesn't want to be Goku. He wants to be Vegeta. He doesn't want to be Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader. He wants to be Boba Fett pre-Return of the Jedi.

The first episode also kind of catches you by surprise. It didn't follow the typical narrative structure. It almost made you question if this show was an actual isekai at first. 
Feb 21, 2023 12:11 AM
Jul 2021
miss understanding " your boss or leader with power fantasy " is one of the best type of comedy.

you know why people love overlord right ? comedy, lore , action, power fantasy, rich world building & Lore.

the eminence in Shadow have all that.
Feb 22, 2023 10:12 AM

Mar 2012
harshtruth said:
either they overplayed the same unfunny joke or every joke missed the mark or it's just not funny.

Or maybe the comedy is just not for you. Not all people laugh at Dave Chappelle jokes yet most said he's the best comedian currently.

Ionliosite2 said:

I'm not interested in seeing a spin-off if the characters apparently play an important role in the main story then they should have their stuff at least explained there.

Aside Alpha, Beta and Nu, seven shade don't have really important role in the story, at least not yet. Even the director gave reasoning why they're so prominent in the OP and ED is because seven shade doesn't appear too much in the main story.
Feb 22, 2023 10:21 AM

Apr 2017
thieftheodore said:
Or maybe the comedy is just not for you. Not all people laugh at Dave Chappelle jokes yet most said he's the best comedian currently.
being funny doesn't mean you cackle at everything being said and most people who find him unfunny are just offended by what he's saying...i'm not offended by any of this show's humor, it's just not funny on any degree.
Feb 22, 2023 10:28 AM

Mar 2012
harshtruth said:
i'm not offended by any of this show's humor, it's just not funny on any degree.

Meanwhile a lot of people here find the show funny and yet you disagree with this notion, thus proving the point again : Comedy is subjective. It's okay to be different you know
Feb 22, 2023 10:29 AM

Jan 2021
thieftheodore said:
harshtruth said:
either they overplayed the same unfunny joke or every joke missed the mark or it's just not funny.

Ionliosite2 said:

Aside Alpha, Beta and Nu, seven shade don't have really important role in the story, at least not yet. Even the director gave reasoning why they're so prominent in the OP and ED is because seven shade doesn't appear too much in the main story.

I mean, that's my main problem with them, they are a bunch of nobodies to me and with the OP lol, the OP didn't make any sense to me since they appear so little in the series, seems a bit contradictory to do that since the girls who actually do matter appear so little in the opening.
Feb 22, 2023 10:34 AM

Apr 2017
thieftheodore said:
Meanwhile a lot of people here find the show funny and yet you disagree with this notion, thus proving the point again : Comedy is subjective. It's okay to be different you know
true...some people laugh at people getting hit by trains and old people falling down stairs. guess the real difference is whether or not someone is brain damaged or not
Feb 22, 2023 11:55 AM
Oct 2018
This kind of shows make me question about my love for anime.
Feb 22, 2023 12:00 PM

Jan 2013
harshtruth said:
thieftheodore said:
being funny doesn't mean you cackle at everything being said and most people who find him unfunny are just offended by what he's saying...i'm not offended by any of this show's humor, it's just not funny on any degree.
It's only funny if you can appreciate how mental the MC is, but it's deadpan humor, which is always divisive. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 22, 2023 8:43 PM

Mar 2012
harshtruth said:
true...some people laugh at people getting hit by trains and old people falling down stairs. guess the real difference is whether or not someone is brain damaged or not

Pro tip: you can dislike a show without insulting people who enjoying it. Chill

Ionliosite2 said:

I mean, that's my main problem with them, they are a bunch of nobodies to me and with the OP lol, the OP didn't make any sense to me since they appear so little in the series, seems a bit contradictory to do that since the girls who actually do matter appear so little in the opening.

Next season the show will have story where Shadow garden become main victim of Cid new shenanigans so there's that
thieftheodoreFeb 22, 2023 8:46 PM
Feb 23, 2023 7:42 AM

Apr 2017
thieftheodore said:
i insulted no one so if you feel a certain way, it's on you
Feb 23, 2023 9:42 AM
Feb 2019
Hated kono suba and loved this one kinda weird when looking at those comment
Feb 23, 2023 3:05 PM

Jan 2013
Leifallen said:
Hated kono suba and loved this one kinda weird when looking at those comment
KonoSuba is way more of a pure comedy, this is more typical power fantasy, but with parody elements.
Feb 23, 2023 4:41 PM
Jan 2018
Well for me what did it is is the randomnes of the main character. I read the manga for some part and most ppl say that its a bad thing that thay focus to make it more comic but for me its grate that thay did. The only thing that i liked more in the manga is character design but i would go with anime adaptation.
Feb 23, 2023 5:27 PM

Jan 2021
thieftheodore said:
harshtruth said:

Ionliosite2 said:

Next season the show will have story where Shadow garden become main victim of Cid new shenanigans so there's that

Ok, but that is next season, not this one. It will have something that will make me memorize even another one of the names of other girls besides Alpha and Beta who are the only ones with any character or Epsilon and Delta who are just one note joke and nothing else or will they still be nonexistent and basically plot devices?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2022

730 by Sayan_Pal »»
Apr 19, 3:27 AM

» Will it get less cringe? ( 1 2 )

fghPOWA - Mar 28

71 by TRXPLE »»
Apr 18, 6:01 AM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2023

745 by HatsuoIM »»
Apr 18, 3:56 AM

» How is Cid so strong?

eWEQRW123123 - Apr 13

5 by Sayan_Pal »»
Apr 15, 7:32 AM

» This anime would be 10x better without Cid ( 1 2 3 4 )

Apollo_Injustice - Dec 21, 2023

173 by Sayan_Pal »»
Apr 13, 7:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.