Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Unacceptable Developer Response to Maple (spoilers through Ep. 3) - I'm cancelling my MMO subscription

Bofuri: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense.
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 14, 2023 7:36 AM

Mar 2015
I just got done watching the episode where the devs nerfed Maple's devour ability. That is to be expected of MMO devs. But the part that is complete BS is that they say they modded the game AI so that no one else will ever be able to copy Maple's build. That is complete bull. No MMO would ever make a decision like this(and have it stand). That decision is so bad that it is making me angry and wanting to cancel my subscription, for a fictional game I don't even play.  There is NO WAY devs will patch a game to that a single character can retain their OPness but that nobody is capable of copying it. I know things get grandfathered in through patches in MMOs, but not like that. 

There is no way the reaction to the entire community whining about Maple would be to protect her playstyle at the expense of every single other paying player. I have quit MMOs over bad decisions before and this decision to not allow anyone else playing the game to replicate a build WOULD NOT FLY.  They would lose so many players getting pissed over this. You can have items grandfathered in, but a single person playing a legacy OP build that no one else can make is so unrealistic I am considering not watching the rest of the show because I can't suspend my disbelief. Especially in a relatively new game (and with PVP), that just does not work for a game people are paying a subscription fee to play, you can't screw them that hard and they just accept it.

More people would cancel their subscriptions over this than if you just deleted maple's account, or reset her skill points, or literally anything other than patching Mobs AI so that no one else can create the build. They protect a single player at the expense of an entire player base of paying customers and financially that decision just wouldn't fly. Thousands of people just watched her own an event at low level, and now you have blocked them from creating that character, that's a cancellation from SO MANY people. If I was playing this game I would be making this post on the game forums with a screenshot of my subscription cancellation.

Someone tell me if the way this show ends is them shutting down the servers due to lack of player base because they let one OP character ruin their game balance and everyone cancelled their subs. If that is where this is going then I'll keep watching, otherwise, I'm not sure. Yes, I know it seems ridiculous, in a fantasy isekai about VR games, the unrealistic dev response is what stands out to me. Maybe it's just my pent up frustration about bad balance decisions I've been burned by, but I can't see everyone being so accepting.
OiisuJan 14, 2023 7:54 AM
Jan 14, 2023 7:48 AM
Oct 2020
if this is what bothers you, then you were right to stop watching.
it only gets more insane.

though that's the very reason i like the show.
Jan 14, 2023 7:54 AM
Jan 2021
Yeh it’s pretty poorly written and hard to watch if you’ve actually played multiplayer games before. Still a fun watch if you turn your brain off though.
Jan 14, 2023 7:57 AM

Jul 2015
As an MMO player I also find this anime very frustrating to watch.
Devs are so utterly incompetent in balancing this game and seemingly never heard of basic things such as hard caps and diminishing returns on stats.

Jan 14, 2023 8:10 AM
Jan 2022
I like to watch the show assuming the devs are just a couple college buddies who made a game and it ended up getting pretty popular. I mean the amount of times players run into each other on the battlefield or in towns must mean theres not really a huge player base or a vast world.

I mean i guess the fact that they keep updating it would mean they’re passionate about it and should know better than to do this stuff but hey its just an anime idunno
Jan 14, 2023 9:52 AM
Jun 2012
Oiisu said:
I just got done watching the episode where the devs nerfed Maple's devour ability. That is to be expected of MMO devs. But the part that is complete BS is that they say they modded the game AI so that no one else will ever be able to copy Maple's build. That is complete bull. No MMO would ever make a decision like this(and have it stand). That decision is so bad that it is making me angry and wanting to cancel my subscription, for a fictional game I don't even play.  There is NO WAY devs will patch a game to that a single character can retain their OPness but that nobody is capable of copying it. I know things get grandfathered in through patches in MMOs, but not like that. 

There is no way the reaction to the entire community whining about Maple would be to protect her playstyle at the expense of every single other paying player. I have quit MMOs over bad decisions before and this decision to not allow anyone else playing the game to replicate a build WOULD NOT FLY.  They would lose so many players getting pissed over this. You can have items grandfathered in, but a single person playing a legacy OP build that no one else can make is so unrealistic I am considering not watching the rest of the show because I can't suspend my disbelief. Especially in a relatively new game (and with PVP), that just does not work for a game people are paying a subscription fee to play, you can't screw them that hard and they just accept it.

More people would cancel their subscriptions over this than if you just deleted maple's account, or reset her skill points, or literally anything other than patching Mobs AI so that no one else can create the build. They protect a single player at the expense of an entire player base of paying customers and financially that decision just wouldn't fly. Thousands of people just watched her own an event at low level, and now you have blocked them from creating that character, that's a cancellation from SO MANY people. If I was playing this game I would be making this post on the game forums with a screenshot of my subscription cancellation.

Someone tell me if the way this show ends is them shutting down the servers due to lack of player base because they let one OP character ruin their game balance and everyone cancelled their subs. If that is where this is going then I'll keep watching, otherwise, I'm not sure. Yes, I know it seems ridiculous, in a fantasy isekai about VR games, the unrealistic dev response is what stands out to me. Maybe it's just my pent up frustration about bad balance decisions I've been burned by, but I can't see everyone being so accepting.

I’ve read most of the light novel already (about 265 pages) and it only becomes even more insane. I love Bofuri, and the way the dev’s is handling Maple is awesome.
Jan 15, 2023 11:50 AM
Dec 2020
Oiisu said:

I believe you expected to get a lot disagreeable(is that spelled like that?) comments but I do understand your rage. some korean series made me drop too because mcs opness and uniqueness were unrealistic. I do love bofuri so maybe there are other things but these are last draw
Jan 15, 2023 12:33 PM

Aug 2020
If you watch further TC, its not just the devs. Its EVERYONE thats not in the top of this game that acts illogically.

The players arent raging, talking about how bad the game mechanics are, talking about how bad the devs are, etc. Instead, they actually like Maple.

Its a complete fantasy world.
Keep scrolling
Jan 16, 2023 12:32 AM
Mar 2022
Oiisu said:

dude even tge light novel doesnt have that many paragraphs chill
Jan 16, 2023 12:25 PM

Mar 2015
LWGench said:

Four? It's a shame what passes for lengthy these days. If you are frightened by complete sentences and instead want short, vacuous, and inane opinions maybe check out twitter. Don't come on a discussion forum and attack people for writing like it's an insult.
OiisuJan 16, 2023 12:40 PM
Jan 16, 2023 1:16 PM
Mar 2022
Oiisu said:
LWGench said:

Four? It's a shame what passes for lengthy these days. If you are frightened by complete sentences and instead want short, vacuous, and inane opinions maybe check out twitter. Don't come on a discussion forum and attack people for writing like it's an insult.

when did i attack someone ??? i just say that you shouldnt care about some op mc vrmmo ln that have 2 billion variant that much
Jan 25, 2023 7:30 AM

Dec 2016
the "game with overpowered one-of-a-kind unique skills and items" are always this infuriating if you think about it, this is more proeminent in manhwas (worn & torn newbie lmao) so consider yourself lucky if you don't read them XD
im gay
Jan 16, 9:52 PM
Jun 2020
TLDR; the whole nerfing issue is because of an A.I. creating silly abilities that no person would ever let happen since they completely make the game devoid of balance. Sounds like your experienced with MMOs, so you should know this already. Big changes like nerfing devoured to 10 uses a day would NEVER happen IRL because there would never be any point that a change that dramatic would have to be implemented. Games only ever need small changes because all that shit is dialed in pretty well from the get go, unless a new class is added anyway, and even then there is never a unbalance that great.

Also, all the elite gear/skills are obtained in a first come first serve manner. For instance "first player to clear the Dungeon boss solo on the first try" for equipment. And basically 95% of all active skills we have seen, at least through season 1 and 2, are totally unique. Shin's split sword, all of Paynes attacks, Sally's attacks, even Mii, a fire mage, doesn't have the multi fireball shot that Frederica has. So unless it's something like "super speed" rewarded via quest which sally/dreg/kasumi have, an ability you can buy with medals like "fortress", or a class exclusive like "stalwart warrior" which payne/maple/kurumu have, or a basic skill like parry or mastery, you'll never see two characters with the same skull. So it's not like they decided to eliminate the skills which Maple acquired to stop others from doing the same. Those skills were off the board once she got them. That might be a long winded response and I may have gone around in circles a bit but to paraphrase...there wasn't some conspiracy to allow Maple to stay "OP" while actively stopping others from doing the same. Yeah they cam all roll straight vitality.. but hydra is a skill no one else will ever possess, same with all her other crazy abilities. All the other characters have broken abilities too, it's just the fact Maple also doesn't take any damage is what makes hers even more outstanding.

Like Mii having at least 2 knockback spells. Firelance and inferno with seemingly no cooldown. That's broken as hell. A glass cannon mage that has basically unlimited knock back abilities? Usually players have 1 of those things and there is a 30 sec cd. Lol

More topics from this board

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2020

95 by Gvendoline »»
Mar 1, 3:37 AM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2020

168 by Gvendoline »»
Jan 18, 3:02 PM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2020

123 by Gvendoline »»
Jan 17, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aversa - Jan 6, 2020

282 by Gvendoline »»
Jan 16, 5:50 PM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2020

139 by yourboy_asta »»
Dec 30, 2023 11:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.