Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 25, 2022 7:37 PM

Feb 2009
It seems clear to me based on the conversations happening in the anime and some input from people who have tried the game that this anime is not an adaptation of the game but is rather a companion series to be enjoyed alongside the game, which is where the main story is.  The anime is NOT a standalone and you will not get the story just by watching the anime!

The segments on the knights are supposed to clue you in on the time the scenes are taking place relative to the main story, which is why we never get the full story on the knights. 

We can also tell that the story of the girls between episodes are not directly continuous but are rather separate intermissions taking place at different points of the main story from the game.  From the girls conversations, we can see that there's progress that we never see such as them not being strong enough to even face the knights early on to them talking about apparently having fought them a few times to a draw later on near the end of the anime.

It makes sense then that if you're not following the game story, you wouldn't make sense of the anime either.  The show is also not teasing us about things that never happen.  The things do happen, in game!  What were seeing are the in betweens 
EinTheVarianceMar 14, 2023 12:34 PM
Dec 25, 2022 11:06 PM
Nov 2018
not like that
the anime don't hit the spot that says it good anime
Dec 25, 2022 11:07 PM
Nov 2018
EinTheVariance said:
It seems clear to me based on the conversations happening in the anime and some input from people who have tried the game that this anime is not an adaptation of the game but is rather a companion series to be enjoyed alongside the game, which is where the main story is.  

The segments on the knights are supposed to clue you in on the time the scenes are taking place relative to the main story, which is why we never get the full story on the knights. 

We can also tell that the story of the girls between episodes are not directly continuous but are rather separate intermissions taking place at different points of the main story from the game.  From the girls conversations, we can see that there's progress that we never see such as them not being strong enough to even face the knights early on to them talking about apparently having fought them a few times to a draw later on near the end of the anime.

It makes sense then that if you're not following the game story, you wouldn't make sense of the anime either.  The show is also not teasing us about things that never happen.  The things do happen, in game!  What were seeing are the in betweens 

it not like that
the anime don't hit the spot that says it good anime
Dec 25, 2022 11:22 PM

Feb 2009
I don't mean to argue whether it is a good anime or not, that's up to everyone to judge for themselves.  I just want to point out what I think is some dissatisfaction rising from mistaken expectation of what the anime is and what it's trying to do
Dec 26, 2022 2:54 AM

Aug 2021
My personal experience watching this was essentially waiting the whole anime for that action genre tag to show up but instead sitting through cute girls sipping tea and wandering around being moe blobs of fluff. And mind you I like moe shows, if I know that’s what I’m getting in to. What killed this was how poorly it was marketed. For all intents and purposes it seemed like a magical slice of life show with a dark action twist, but never got anywhere. I even tried to look up the original game this was based off of and literally couldn’t even find that. Just too little information, frankly.
Dec 26, 2022 10:09 AM

Feb 2009
-BL0SS0M- said:
My personal experience watching this was essentially waiting the whole anime for that action genre tag to show up but instead sitting through cute girls sipping tea and wandering around being moe blobs of fluff. And mind you I like moe shows, if I know that’s what I’m getting in to. What killed this was how poorly it was marketed. For all intents and purposes it seemed like a magical slice of life show with a dark action twist, but never got anywhere. I even tried to look up the original game this was based off of and literally couldn’t even find that. Just too little information, frankly.
I hear you and that's fair.  Like you said, the tag, and other things like synopsis and background for this series is completely misleading, so you go in expecting one thing and get another.  There's barely any English information regarding the source game either (likely because it was never popular to begin with, the jp game is shutting down in a few months).  However if you were, like me, wondering why they would make an anime like this and have seemingly random scenes that never develop show up, it's because of the reasons I stated above.  This anime was never meant to be an adaptation of the game story and we were never its target audience.  I also made the post so that new, incoming watchers can potentially save themselves some headache and realize at least what they're getting themselves into.

To give a little background of the game story that I've been able to find in case anyone is interested, you are playing as the listener and through some means, ended up as a teacher of ashram.  As the player, you coordinate and command the girls during the fights, and the story usually revolves around having some reason to go down to earth (ie. to resupply, as we saw in one of the episodes) and then stuff happens and you have to fight the knights.
EinTheVarianceDec 26, 2022 10:14 AM
Dec 27, 2022 3:27 PM
Dec 2022
I forced myself to finish it, but I think that the op and Ed are great!
Mar 14, 2023 12:23 PM

Oct 2013
You shouldn't need to play the game to enjoy the anime, so using that as an excuse is a no no.
The CGDCT isn't really bad, but the world building is... urgh.

"the girls are some kind of witches hunted by knights" because ??? magic is bad ? religion ? war ? Who are the girls if they're not humans ? where do they come from ? what are they doing in this school ? what are the goals of the characters ? what are they fighting for ? is this like middle age outside the school and people don't trust in magic or are all branded heretics ? Magic is cool with girls doing cute things and humans world sucks because humans are not nice ?

I'm still missing 3 episodes before finishing the series but come on, it's boring.... If your main characters are fighters you can't just do a series about cute girls drinking tea without explaining anything,
showing some edgy knights bits here and there is even more weird and anticlimatic.
Mar 14, 2023 12:29 PM

Feb 2009
Titadou said:
You shouldn't need to play the game to enjoy the anime, so using that as an excuse is a no no.
Not really making an excuse for the anime, just stating the facts.  I'm not trying to defend the series or call it good.  If anything, I posted this so that potential watchers know that they really shouldn't watch this anime unless they are familiar with the story of the game, because the anime will not fill you in.

I'll update the title because it seems people are taking this thread as some kind of defense to the anime.
EinTheVarianceMar 14, 2023 12:33 PM
Apr 18, 2023 2:52 PM

Feb 2008
What I don't get is, if the game is doing so poorly that it's getting shut down very soon, how did they have the budget to make an anime. O_o

I mean, if it was an attempt to revive the game, then the direction is horrible considering what you say, that it's not aimed at newcomers.

Weird
Apr 18, 2023 3:01 PM

Feb 2009
Revillo_Phoenix said:
What I don't get is, if the game is doing so poorly that it's getting shut down very soon, how did they have the budget to make an anime. O_o

I mean, if it was an attempt to revive the game, then the direction is horrible considering what you say, that it's not aimed at newcomers.
Of course you have to keep in mind that the anime must've been planned and worked on for quite some time, surely before they had planned to shut down.  It is highly likely that the low reception of the anime greatly contributed to this decision as well given how close they were to each other.  The anime aired Jul 6, 2022 to Sep 21, 2022 and the notice of shutdown came shortly after that on Oct 31, 2022
https://www.arsnotoria.jp/news/2022-10-31-50564/

My guess is that it was bleeding core players and the anime was an attempt to keep existing players rather than entice new players, but who knows.
Jun 3, 2023 8:32 PM
Sep 2021
EinTheVariance said:
Revillo_Phoenix said:

Of course you have to keep in mind that the anime must've been planned and worked on for quite some time, surely before they had planned to shut down.  It is highly likely that the low reception of the anime greatly contributed to this decision as well given how close they were to each other.  The anime aired Jul 6, 2022 to Sep 21, 2022 and the notice of shutdown came shortly after that on Oct 31, 2022

My guess is that it was bleeding core players and the anime was an attempt to keep existing players rather than entice new players, but who knows.
It's not that bad. Where did the low reception part come from? Watching anime like this makes me feel lucky, cuz based on the members this anime has, I feel lucky to have watched it. Makes me feel grateful watching anime like this over all the mainstream crap. Say what you want, but it's story pulled me in. The rating sounds cruel, but why even bother anyway? It feels like a solid magical girl show if you treat it as an original show.  Why would it shut down from a low reception anyway? Look at all those other games that shut down not because of an anime. I swear to god that people need to stop being harsh on anime based on games. 
Jun 3, 2023 8:40 PM

Feb 2009
KanekiKen523 said:
EinTheVariance said:

It's not that bad. Where did the low reception part come from? Watching anime like this makes me feel lucky, cuz based on the members this anime has, I feel lucky to have watched it. Makes me feel grateful watching anime like this over all the mainstream crap. Say what you want, but it's story pulled me in. The rating sounds cruel, but why even bother anyway? It feels like a solid magical girl show if you treat it as an original show.  Why would it shut down from a low reception anyway? Look at all those other games that shut down not because of an anime. I swear to god that people need to stop being harsh on anime based on games. 
Not sure what you want me to say man.  It's true that it wasn't received well and the game did in fact shut down very shortly after the anime finished airing.  I'm not really trying to diss the game or the anime. 
Jun 3, 2023 8:59 PM
Sep 2021
EinTheVariance said:
KanekiKen523 said:
Not sure what you want me to say man.  It's true that it wasn't received well and the game did in fact shut down very shortly after the anime finished airing.  I'm not really trying to diss the game or the anime. 
Very shortly? It only shutted down six months after it aired. Read about it yourself before jumping to a conclusion. 
Jun 3, 2023 9:03 PM

Feb 2009
KanekiKen523 said:
EinTheVariance said:
Very shortly? It only shutted down six months after it aired. Read about it yourself before jumping to a conclusion. 
Right, that's what I said, they announced shut down shortly after the anime finished airing...I literally said this in the post that you quoted:
 The anime aired Jul 6, 2022 to Sep 21, 2022 and the notice of shutdown came shortly after that on Oct 31, 2022
Feb 8, 2:38 AM
Dec 2023
Confused? Worry not.
I heard many had such troubles which is why I wrote a full analysis seeking to clarify and elucidate the show's themes.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Warau Arsnotoria Sun! Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 10, 2022

28 by adelechan »»
Mar 8, 12:33 AM

» What is this about?

removed-user - Jun 7, 2022

13 by adelechan »»
Feb 14, 5:01 PM

Poll: » Warau Arsnotoria Sun! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2022

53 by Destroyer31 »»
Sep 3, 2023 10:10 PM

» Anime = 0 , Soundtrack = 10

Protoz - Oct 23, 2022

8 by Destroyer31 »»
Sep 3, 2023 9:59 PM

Poll: » Warau Arsnotoria Sun! Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 13, 2022

34 by Thaliel »»
Mar 9, 2023 11:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.