Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
May 17, 2023 8:36 AM

Nov 2018
@Koito91 when we get around to doing the manga badges, would you be able to add in all the available badges, but without any points being rewarded at first? If I want to do the points properly like with what I've done with the anime badges, I need to get a scope of all the statistics for each badge and how to balance things out. (Entry type, entry length (chapters), total chapters/volumes read, years, themes, genres, demographics, etc.)

If you're also able to scan the entire manga database and provide a clear number of manga titles that contribute to each badge afterwards, that would be super handy. In the badge details section of each manga badge, could you temporarily add in somewhere a number that says something like "X/Y titles completed"?

Unfortunately, we have nothing like the anime statistics that the AWCc has for anime, so I need to base the badges based on the DB being scanned and MB providing me the numbers.

I will also make the badges in the excel sheet before we do get to starting the manga badges (though without the numbers and points) so you know what to add at first
_cjessop19_May 17, 2023 8:40 AM

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
May 21, 2023 1:49 PM

Apr 2019
_cjessop19_ said:
@Koito91 when we get around to doing the manga badges
I hope never. A MAL feature is really would like to see is the ability to suppress manga related stuff in the profile page. If mal-badges introduces manga, I'd like to ask for the same. I'm not interested in manga at all.

May 24, 2023 6:08 AM
Feb 2021
How is this a problem?
MAL has had an manga section since pretty much day 1, both are inherent and equal parts of MAL. Just because you don't like manga, doesn't mean it would be bad to have a manga section. graph.plus has had one dating back to og MALgraphs. I think it would make sense for a MAL achievement site to cover both sides of MAL regardless of your personal preference. No one is making you read manga or interact with it in anyway. MALbadges is adding a new section and subsequently another set of badges to aim for. If you don't care for manga don't aim for them. Unless you care alot about your rank level i don't think it should affect your enjoyment of the site.

Although that being said i think it would be better to split the manga and anime so there are two rankings between anime and manga.  
Jun 2, 2023 3:56 AM

Nov 2018
@Koito91

For the new yearly badges, do you want all the badges go only up to 50 entries at 2.5k points max, or do you want to include the remaining levels for like 2 badges that go up to 100 entries at 10k points each and another badge at 75 for 5k points? If we do, then we don't have to touch like 25 badges once we go ahead with the lvl 50 update, which is less work for you (assuming you use what's laid out already).

You can see in the excel sheet that most of the new badges are only at 1k or 2.5k points at max level, and adding in the remaining badges with all the points I've laid out will add in an additional 51k points (33.5k points for 50 entries limit for all badges)

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Jun 14, 2023 9:45 PM

Nov 2018
Plaintiff said:
Hey guys, thanks for bringing back MAL badges.

My only concern is this

The badge level is virtually invisible in dark mode.

I've already made note of this issue, so we will hopefully soon fix it and add in a dark mode friendly version of the BBCode for people to use

Jun 19, 2023 9:40 AM

Nov 2018
With the design of the badges in our profile (the white badges for each badge type), is it possible to implement custom designed and/or weirdly shaped badges, given how the site has been updated and upgraded?

I was imagining that we could use custom badge designs for certain series (which I suggested a few months back), like using different numbered dragon balls from the DB franchise or different gundam heads for each of the series badge levels. Maybe even different chibi heads of characters for certain genres or series badges referencing popular series and cult classic. This could be a community project where everyone can provide input and vote for who they'd like to see be used for certain badges.

Is this something that's feasible?

Jun 21, 2023 11:17 PM
𝙿𝙰𝙸𝙽

Feb 2023
Can there be a fix for updating the profile pic on mal-badges when syncing data from MAL? It's a low priorty issue for sure, but the problem is it still displays my MAL profile picture from 3-4 months ago even though I've had a new pfp and updated my mal-badges status many times since. OR maybe I'm an idiot and doing something wrong. Thanks
𝙸 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠 𝚙𝚊𝚒𝚗 • u̲m̲a̲i̲ • レαmßεη† レïgh† • ɪ'ᴍ ᴀʟʟ ꜰɪʀᴇᴅ ᴜᴘ • 𝟙𝟘𝟘𝟘-𝟟 • 𝔥𝔢𝔞𝔩
𝙄'𝙇𝙇 𝙆𝙄𝙇𝙇 𝙏𝙃𝙀𝙈 𝘼𝙇𝙇 • 𝒯𝒾𝓂𝑒 𝒜𝑔𝑒𝓃𝓉 • 𝐏𝐥𝐮𝐬 𝐔𝐥𝐭𝐫𝐚 • ᵖᵘʳᵖˡᵉ ʰᵒˡˡᵒʷ • ᖇIᑕEᗷᗩᒪᒪ

Jun 22, 2023 9:06 AM
The small one

Nov 2019
Regarding the manga badges. Did I understand correctly that they'll just get added to all the other anime badges? If so wouldn't it be better to keep them apart? As in MAL-badges for anime and MAL-badges for manga. Personally, I feel like it would be off to put them together.
Jun 22, 2023 10:02 AM

Nov 2018
LyriaLegende said:
Regarding the manga badges. Did I understand correctly that they'll just get added to all the other anime badges? If so wouldn't it be better to keep them apart? As in MAL-badges for anime and MAL-badges for manga. Personally, I feel like it would be off to put them together.

The points earned from manga badges will be combined with the anime badges, which will contribute to the main lvl 1-50 badge. It would be MAL-Badges for your entire profile, as that's what I envisioned the end goal of MB development to be.

Personally, I think it's good to combine the two as people who focus on manga can compete against anime-only users in the rankings. Manga badges will offer a lot more points vs anime badges, so this would encourage users to start watching more anime or start reading more manga (which wouldn't be the case if we just kept them separate.)

If points go well over the lvl 50 limit, then we will commission someone to help create new variants for lvl 51-100 badges (which I've already laid the points out for), though it's to be seen when we get around to that point.

We will look into the possibility of users displaying badges for separate anime/manga badges, and maybe use that as a filter for a user's profile, but the default will be the combination of the two sets of variants.
_cjessop19_Jun 22, 2023 10:07 AM

Jun 22, 2023 12:34 PM
The small one

Nov 2019
_cjessop19_ said:
LyriaLegende said:

The points earned from manga badges will be combined with the anime badges, which will contribute to the main lvl 1-50 badge. It would be MAL-Badges for your entire profile, as that's what I envisioned the end goal of MB development to be.

Personally, I think it's good to combine the two as people who focus on manga can compete against anime-only users in the rankings. Manga badges will offer a lot more points vs anime badges, so this would encourage users to start watching more anime or start reading more manga (which wouldn't be the case if we just kept them separate.)

If points go well over the lvl 50 limit, then we will commission someone to help create new variants for lvl 51-100 badges (which I've already laid the points out for), though it's to be seen when we get around to that point.

We will look into the possibility of users displaying badges for separate anime/manga badges, and maybe use that as a filter for a user's profile, but the default will be the combination of the two sets of variants.

Thanks for clarifying that for me! I think the filter is a great idea. Can't wait to see the changes coming to MAL Badges!
Jul 4, 2023 8:23 PM

Nov 2018
Regarding series badges, would you like me to make a start with them in the google doc? Are you gonna do the badges by number of entries completed or keep it as it is with number of episodes watched (for ongoing shows like One Piece or Detective Conan, I'd also want to expand the Wincest badge by including the OVA entry and make it x/24 episodes)? For each series, I'd have to check if things are able to be watched as I would need to consider lost media or accessibility in the count.

Also, could you also add "Better Filters" to the To-Do list? As I suggested a while ago, I think we should be able to filter our badges more specifically (anime, manga, or both), or apply 2 or more filters at a time (including sort by least-most/vice versa). Like how we can filter for anime in Anime Search. Plus some of the badges are in the wrong filter anyway as I previously mentioned.

Jul 5, 2023 1:45 PM
Veterinarian

Dec 2018
=> For Rookie Episode Fan Badge, I think the episodes should be 14-24. Not 14-26. And for Champion Episode Fan Badge, it should be 25-39. Not 27-39.
==> Reason is, look there are several animes of 25, 26 episodes. There are not many which falls under 27-39 episodes. So I think if we change that, it'll be helpful for all of us.
===> And I do think that "Wincest", "Am I famous?", "Fooly cooly" should be removed. I am not taking out Boku no pico badge bcoz all of the anime watchers know this hanime, and it is unique. Kiss x sis, FLCL, Watashi aren't known by many anime watchers all over the world. So I think these 3 should be removed.
DarkEmperor69Jul 5, 2023 1:51 PM
Jul 5, 2023 5:09 PM

Nov 2018
DarkEmperor69 said:
I think the episodes should be 14-24. Not 14-26. And for Champion Episode Fan Badge, it should be 25-39. Not 27-39.

The reason we have it this way is cause these badges are based on the most episodes that can be released in each season (13 weeks), so they go up in increments of 13. Even if not many titles have that many episodes for the 27-39 badge, it still makes sense to have these badges how they are. You can thank the anime industry for that.

These are cour badges, 25/26 episodes is definitely not 3 cours.

DarkEmperor69 said:
And I do think that "Wincest", "Am I famous?", "Fooly cooly" should be removed.

As MAL's biggest Kiss x Sis fan and advocate, the Wincest badge will remain. The other badges will be up to what Koito decides to do to them.

Jul 7, 2023 1:15 PM

Nov 2018
@Koito91 what do you think of the idea of adding in a statistic to our profile stats where it displays the total number of badge ranks completed?

Let's say that after the lvl 50 update, there are a total of 1880 rank levels (yes, I counted them all), then somewhere on our profile, it would display the total number of ranks achieved from all badges (as a fraction).

We could add to the ranking page a new stat to filter by to display users by number of ranks completed.

It's like how in Cookie Clicker you can see how many achievements you've unlocked

Jul 16, 2023 5:31 AM

Nov 2018
I believe I have a solution to lost media and how we can exclude them from contributing to entries.

Let's add in a blacklist feature. Any entry that has been blacklisted, maybe for reasons such as being lost media or only being partially available, can be excluded from contributing to certain badges.

This would be a back-end addition for MB where you tell the system which MAL IDs it needs to block out. We can have a forum post where users can submit entries to be added to the blacklist. (there are a few people that are willing to help out).

In the end, we won't have to worry about users cheating by adding in lost media. Maybe as an addition, we could add a new page that lists all the entries w/ links that have been blacklisted? There's a small gap in in the faq page, maybe we could add a small question regarding lost media? vv

"(?) What about lost media?

Certain entries that are considered lost media are prevented from contributing towards your badge. Click here to find out which entries have been excluded." -> Link to new page

Jul 16, 2023 6:33 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
_cjessop19_ said:
I believe I have a solution to lost media and how we can exclude them from contributing to entries.

Let's add in a blacklist feature. Any entry that has been blacklisted, maybe for reasons such as being lost media or only being partially available, can be excluded from contributing to certain badges.

This would be a back-end addition for MB where you tell the system which MAL IDs it needs to block out. We can have a forum post where users can submit entries to be added to the blacklist. (there are a few people that are willing to help out).

In the end, we won't have to worry about users cheating by adding in lost media. Maybe as an addition, we could add a new page that lists all the entries w/ links that have been blacklisted? There's a small gap in in the faq page, maybe we could add a small question regarding lost media? vv

Certain entries that are considered lost media are prevented from contributing towards your badge. Click here to find out which entries have been excluded." -> Link to new page
Likewise. I agree with the idea of blacklisting entries pertaining to lost media. I've encountered a bunch of anime in the database which are listed as lost media and I'm willing to help search for their IDs or even their URLs so they can be compiled together in a blacklist so that means they will not contribute for any progress with the badges they're related to.

I'm assuming that this will affect certain badges where their max levels are impossible to reach because of lost media so maybe that means their thresholds will be adjusted or modified afterwards. The oldest yearly badges would be affected for sure, mainly 1910's Fan.

1920's Fan looks possible to max out if it requires 25 entries but one entry has partially available media where the entire film cannot be viewed and only less than 2 minutes of its content is viewable, I think. I'm talking about Noroma no Jiji.

930's Fan, I'm still trying to find the remaining ones to see if it's possible to reach 100. I currently have seen 75 entries from the 1930's anime.

1940's Fan is completely fine because reaching 25 entries is definitely feasible. :thumbsup:
Jul 16, 2023 11:25 PM

Nov 2018
LunyRem said:
_cjessop19_ said:

Likewise. I agree with the idea of blacklisting entries pertaining to lost media. I've encountered a bunch of anime in the database which are listed as lost media and I'm willing to help search for their IDs or even their URLs so they can be compiled together in a blacklist so that means they will not contribute for any progress with the badges they're related to.

I'm assuming that this will affect certain badges where their max levels are impossible to reach because of lost media so maybe that means their thresholds will be adjusted or modified afterwards. The oldest yearly badges would be affected for sure, mainly 1910's Fan.

1920's Fan looks possible to max out if it requires 25 entries but one entry has partially available media where the entire film cannot be viewed and only less than 2 minutes of its content is viewable, I think. I'm talking about Noroma no Jiji.

930's Fan, I'm still trying to find the remaining ones to see if it's possible to reach 100. I currently have seen 75 entries from the 1930's anime.

1940's Fan is completely fine because reaching 25 entries is definitely feasible. :thumbsup:

@Koito91 if you plan on going ahead with this idea, do you want me to create a new forum page and begin listing all the entries in the new yearly badges that are lost media?

Jul 22, 2023 3:05 PM

Nov 2018
When it comes to the rankings for each individual badge, do we want to have it so that users that have the same number of anime completed for a badge be tied in position?

^ So for this, the first 5 are tied for first place, and the rest are tied for 6th place

Jul 24, 2023 3:18 AM

Sep 2014
Recently I thought that it would be nice to see a national ranking, to know what it looks like in the chosen country and be able to compare to compatriots. So my suggestion is to make it possible to set a country on your MAL-Badges profile, then add rankings for each country so people can compare themselves with compatriots. My guess is that this is not a simple matter and will probably cause a ton of problems to be able to set this up at all. I don't know if MAL-Badges can read locations from profiles, and if not then is it able to read about me? Because I've seen on a certain site a system like "the site gives you a code, paste it in your account description, and then we can set it up". Maybe in the future it will be possible, so I shared my thoughts.
Aug 7, 2023 1:04 AM

Dec 2018
Hello! I hope everybody's having a good day!

I have a convern? and i am not sure if i am at the right place to ask this so do guide me if i came at the right place xD

Ever since 2 days now, Every time i press the "Update" button on Mal-badges, it shows all of my stats as zero! and this only started happening like 1 or 2 days ago.. Even though i have watched over 1500 animes yet it shows all of my stats as zero T^T

Can anyone help me out? Does anyone know any fixes?

( Sending a link to show my exact problem = https://ibb.co/XWT2vsr )
Aug 7, 2023 3:20 AM

Nov 2018
When it comes to the list of anime that contribute to a badge, will it list all entries in its entirety (with a scroll or next page function?), or will it not include the anime that you've already watched? Let's say for the Action badge, I've already seen OPM. Will OPM be listed or not? Do you think there should be a tick next to the anime name indicating you've watched it if said list won't exclude titles? (only if you've pressed It's Me on your profile).

With this feature above, would we be able to sort the list by different filters? Like score or member count or episode count? I don't think those numbers should be shown in the small window next to the ranks, unless you're able to make that section pop up into a new sub-window within the page (expand view kinda button that you can close as well). It depends if we're keeping track of these details.

Also, with the VTuber badge, instead of Number of VTuber things seen, it should be Number of VTuber anime (or episodes) seen. Is this badge entry or episode dependent? Either option for this badge.
_cjessop19_Aug 7, 2023 3:35 AM

Aug 22, 2023 4:50 PM

Feb 2023
I tried to get my profile onto MAL Badges, but my list was private when I did so, and now it won't let me use it at all. It says I was private by Amadeus, and even four hours after making my lists public, the site still won't let me update. How do I fix this?

Link to the problem: https://www.mal-badges.com/users/forgoteyewashere
Aug 23, 2023 9:30 AM

Nov 2018
Since you introduced the manga stats to our profile, we need something to indicate which one is which. I was thinking has a slightly darker background that spells out A and M (works with both light and dark mode), or just a simple header.

The filters need a complete overhaul. It needs to be ready before you implement the manga badges. There are badges that need correcting, and there are many ways we can filter badges by.

Also, what do you think about a toggle for our badge section where you have 3 options to press a button?:
1) Displays badges and stats for anime
2) Displays badges and stats for manga (and introduce a manga leader board)
3) Displays combined stats and a total amount of points that contribute to your main badge.

Aug 27, 2023 9:10 AM

Nov 2018
For the 193X badge, can you temporarily change the Rank 6 requirement to 94 entries instead of 95?

Can you also remove Rank 5 from the 194X badge as 27 entries is currently what people can watch atm?

Aug 28, 2023 10:51 PM

Nov 2018
Glad to see the estimated time and queue position for the update now showing, just have a couple of questions.

Will the estimated time only appear on the update button before you press it, or will you make it so that whenever you hover over it when it's in the middle of updating you can still see how long you have left (even changing as time goes on in 1 minute increments)?

With 'Add "User Removals" to Logging', will this be only when you update a person's profile, or will Amadeus scan the entire userbase periodically and automatically remove deleted profiles (maybe a monthly scan)? There might be dozens of profiles on MB that will be gone when they're next updated. I only see a couple of messages in the log page about users being removed.

Also new suggestion:
Whenever we update a profile, can we display the change in points underneath the XP Score since last update? For example, if you went from 1500 to 5000 points in the Anime badge, underneath your XP Score, you'd have +3500 (or use an up or down arrow to indicate change). And if you went the other way by deleting anime from your list, it would be displayed as -3500. Maybe we could make this appear on your profile for a week before it disappears and only the XP score is displayed by itself?

Aug 29, 2023 1:01 AM

Nov 2018
I think an Update All Profiles feature for the back-end system should be added in the near future as it would be useful when major changes or new badges are added.

I believe that a good portion of users still haven't updated their profiles since we added in the new decade badges. When we add in the new badge levels, or just new badges in general, these people need to be updated, or else they will still be stuck with their old badge and XP points, which even the new bronze and silver badges would overtake them. With one press of the button or command, everyone can be updated.

With this new mass update feature, I think it should disable the update button. Maybe have the text change to 'Update Disabled' and have the button greyed out, only reactivating when there's less than 50 people remaining in the queue. It may take a few hours to even a day, depending on how many users are currently on MB. Perhaps this would then be a good opportunity to add in the second worker?

Sep 2, 2023 12:48 AM

Nov 2018
I have an idea for the challenge badges. We should make users watch the best and worst rated anime in the DB. This is for finished airing anime only, and some entries may contribute to many of the different themes and genres (like FMAB)

"Best of the Bunch" - Watch the highest rated anime from each genre, theme, demographic, and year.

"Worst of the Lot" - Watch the lowest rated anime from each genre, theme, demographic, and year.

Whenever Amadeus scans the DB, it should update the badge regularly to modify which entries contribute to the badges, so users would have to keep up when new entries meet the rating threshold, otherwise you won't get the points for the badge - which shouldn't be an issue if users watch a bunch of bad anime that may rotate positions once in a while.

Sep 6, 2023 3:17 AM

Apr 2019
Reply to _cjessop19_
I have an idea for the challenge badges. We should make users watch the best and worst rated anime in the DB. This is for finished airing anime only, and some entries may contribute to many of the different themes and genres (like FMAB)

"Best of the Bunch" - Watch the highest rated anime from each genre, theme, demographic, and year.

"Worst of the Lot" - Watch the lowest rated anime from each genre, theme, demographic, and year.

Whenever Amadeus scans the DB, it should update the badge regularly to modify which entries contribute to the badges, so users would have to keep up when new entries meet the rating threshold, otherwise you won't get the points for the badge - which shouldn't be an issue if users watch a bunch of bad anime that may rotate positions once in a while.
@_cjessop19_ Welcome to a world where everybody curses this service because it forces them to watch a lot of Gintanama ...

To me as a heavily list driven person, MAL badges always was a bookkeeper without any messianic attitude. That is what we have AWC for, and challenges there are opt in as it should be. https://anime.jhiday.net/hof/user/inim#statistics

Sep 10, 2023 8:33 AM

Nov 2018
There should be pop-up messages or alerts for users that haven't joined the club yet telling them to do so. They should appear once every 10 times you click on your profile (only if you've pressed It's Me).

If Amadeus keeps a list of all the users that are club members and link them to their MB profile (for example, a small badge next to our names that indicate you're a club member), then whenever you join the club, whenever the system next scans the member list and you are added, then MB won't send those pop-up messages to you anymore.

Annoying and intrusive and maybe some complaints at first? Perhaps. But this will benefit MB in the long run when more members have signed up to the site and join the club.

Also: Can you capitalize the 'm' in It's me? That needs to be sorted out.

Sep 16, 2023 3:18 PM

Nov 2018
For the stats page, can we add the number of users that have been removed and renamed since the site opened? Since those numbers are available to us now.

Sep 17, 2023 8:24 PM
Veterinarian

Dec 2018
Why not add MAL profile badges badge? Like there is a FAL badge, Bunkasai badge, Easter badge etc.
Name: MAL Profile Badge
Rewards: 1 badge = 50 xp, 5 = 150 xp, 10 = 350 xp, 15 = 550 xp, 20 = 750 xp, 25 = 1000 xp, 30 = 1500 xp and so on

There are like 25 MAL profile badges as of now. New events going on, so yeah kike 5 more in future. There'll be more after these 30.
Sep 17, 2023 8:40 PM

Nov 2018
Reply to DarkEmperor69
Why not add MAL profile badges badge? Like there is a FAL badge, Bunkasai badge, Easter badge etc.
Name: MAL Profile Badge
Rewards: 1 badge = 50 xp, 5 = 150 xp, 10 = 350 xp, 15 = 550 xp, 20 = 750 xp, 25 = 1000 xp, 30 = 1500 xp and so on

There are like 25 MAL profile badges as of now. New events going on, so yeah kike 5 more in future. There'll be more after these 30.
@DarkEmperor69
We can’t. The badges have to be earnable by everyone, even the old ones from years ago. It’s not fair on the new accounts who have no access to them or to those who never participated in events.

Sep 18, 2023 9:02 PM

Nov 2018
Challenge badge ideas:

"I Am Isekai Trash" - Complete 50 of the lowest rated isekai anime. (5000 XP)

"A-Z" - Complete 26 anime in alphabetical order.

"Z-A" - Complete 26 anime in reverse alphabetical order.

With A-Z and Z-A, you would need to add in start and end dates, and you need to either watch one anime a day, or watch alphabetically with each ID decreasing from A-Z/Z-A, as sorting by end date goes from smallest ID to largest ID as you go down, as that's how our lists work.

Z/A small
^ ^
A/Z Large

When our list is sorted by end date completed, there has to be a chain of anime titles that goes A,B,C,D,..., you can't complete the badge if you go A,B,B,C,D,D, etc. I guess this only works if Amadeus collects our start and end date info, but if it did, then the badge will display what the longest chain of anime titles are (e.g. 12/26 if you got from A-L before breaking the chain). If you don't add in start or end dates, then you can't achieve the badge. Shouldn't be an issue for larger lists as there's a script that you can use to automatically add in these dates based on the entry's history in your list (which you can adjust if it's wrong), that's how I got dates added to my list.

For these badges, we could do an easy, medium, and hard badge, so 6 in total.
Easy: 26 entries. Requirement: all entries contribute to the challenge. (2500 XP)
Medium: 26 entries. Requirement: entry must have 12 or more episodes. (7500 XP)
Hard: 26 entries. Requirement: entry must have 24 or more episodes. (15000 XP)

If you do the hard challenge, then you can finish all 3 badges at once, with a total of 25,000 XP (x2)
_cjessop19_Sep 18, 2023 10:22 PM

Sep 22, 2023 8:15 PM

Nov 2018
I was wondering if we could add in list statistics to our profile?

My idea is that underneath our rank numbers, we'd have a thin collapsible bar (red) that we can expand to show more details about our list and for us to maybe display our ratings (green), just like anime.plus does.

My second idea is that we introduce a new badge that people earn points when they complete all finished anime for each corresponding letter. So for this badge, there are 27 levels (# + A-Z).

Let's say for example I complete all finished anime that begin with the letter V (2.5 pages of anime, very achievable). Once I've done that and Amadeus confirms that I meet that threshold, then I get a +1 level that contributes to the badge. In green on the RHS, I've added a graph that breaks down your list and tells you how many of each letter you have set to Complete.

If we want to go that extra mile, when we click on the person's badge, above or below the Rank section is a 9x3 table displays all 27 characters, and when you achieve one of them, then the system highlights or brightens the character (if the locked ones are darkened).

vv

# A B C D E F G H
I J K L M N O P Q
R S T U V W X Y Z

Sep 24, 2023 12:46 PM
Mar 2019
I don't know if someone else is complaining but I believe the numbers of the 196X badge (250 animes) and the 197X badge (492 animes) are an exaggeration. I think 100 animes, 150 at max, are more than enough to enjoy what those decades have to offer in terms of series and movies.
Sep 24, 2023 5:22 PM

Nov 2018
When users join MB, they should have a new symbol that indicates that they were added to the site within the past week. There should be a little "NEW!" badge next to a person's name, where our tick badge is. After a week, the badge disappears.

Sep 28, 2023 7:47 AM

Nov 2018
I see the new Anime Counting towards Badge on Badge pages bit is there for a couple of the badges. Nice.

With badges that will have hundreds or thousands of entries to their name, will the list of entries be randomly selected and cycle through after each page refresh, or will it be sorted by highest rate, most popular, or unfinished first and then finished after? I could see a few ways this bit can be sorted out.

Do you think we could add an additional section that we could use to list all the entries that are excluded due to being lost media?

Oct 5, 2023 7:00 PM

Jul 2017
how do i know what's a vtuber material? i tought i watched 20 entries from a vtuber group but only got 11 as valid?
𝐿𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝓂𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓇𝓎
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ𝐿𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝓂𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓇𝓎
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ𝐿𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝓂𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓇𝓎 (ᐢ..ᐢ)
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ »[𝒥𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝓂𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓇𝓎]«
Oct 5, 2023 7:50 PM

Nov 2018
Reply to Stuntdrath
how do i know what's a vtuber material? i tought i watched 20 entries from a vtuber group but only got 11 as valid?
@Stuntdrath
It’s a majority of MVs that contain VTubers.

Just wait until the feature of entries appearing in the badge info section is fully implemented, then you can see what entries contribute to the badge.

Oct 8, 2023 3:15 PM

Jul 2017
Challenge badge idea:

Recap Fan: Complete 100 anime with "Recap" on his title (1000 XP)
𝐿𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝓂𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓇𝓎
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ𝐿𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝓂𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓇𝓎
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ𝐿𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝓂𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓇𝓎 (ᐢ..ᐢ)
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ »[𝒥𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝓂𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓇𝓎]«
Oct 18, 2023 4:40 AM

Nov 2018
Just like what we can do with stocks, can we have a visual indicator of a user's XP growth over certain time periods?

Oct 19, 2023 2:22 PM

Nov 2018
In the logging page, do you think we could add in a small badge icon in between Action and Event to show what badge people have, also to indicate the change in badge in the update? If someone went from Red 1-star to Red 2-star, then in the logging page, you'd have R1S --> R2S. It would make good use of the massive gap on the RHS of the page. Maybe also adding in a + or - XP score for a regular update (not when joining as it's always +score amount)?
_cjessop19_Oct 20, 2023 11:37 AM

Oct 20, 2023 12:09 PM

Nov 2018
I just noticed that each page has a description attached to it, so I thought we should fix them up and make them better.

Ranking page
"MAL-Badges ranking, see who is the best anime watcher !"
to
"We need to make watching anime more competitive somehow" or "Ranking users on their ability to stare at a screen"

Levels page
"MAL-Badges - Levels"
to
"Can you achieve the illustrious level 50 badge?"

Home page
"MAL-Badges extends your MyAnimeList profile and give you badges, levels, ranking and more"
to
"Level up, climb the rankings, earn XP from watching anime! Earn your very own badge with MAL-Badges, an extension of your MyAnimeList profile"

Do we want to add or improve the description for these pages? I can't think of anything atm.
https://www.mal-badges.com/badges
https://www.mal-badges.com/faq

Oct 26, 2023 8:56 PM

Nov 2018
I think the best way we should counteract people who add lost media to their lists to inflate their numbers and achieve a higher badge level is to implement a penalty multiplier.

We should introduce a lost media penalty multiplier, where for each entry that is confirmed to be lost media, your entire XP score is affected by using the following equation:

Score = XP * (1 - 0.01N), where N is the number of lost media entries. Let's say you made a MAL account in the past 2 years and you're at 190,000 XP and you have 50 lost media entries on your list, now your score will be 95,000 XP.

And of course, we won't show what multiplier you have, we'll only indicate whether your score is affected or now. You'll have to go through your list and check which entries are lost media. This would be fun for people with over 10k completed anime who only recently joined MAL.

Oct 31, 2023 10:47 PM

Nov 2018
@Koito91 do we have any features scheduled to be added in the near future? Just checking up on things since it's been a while since I've seen a notable change be made. Just been busy irl?

I've made some small updates here and there in the spreadsheet, some additional levels to a few badges since my last scan through.
_cjessop19_Oct 31, 2023 10:51 PM

Nov 5, 2023 6:07 PM

Nov 2018
With Dark Mode, do you think we could make each badge black instead of white? It's still hard to look at when it's 3am and your eyes are adjusted to the dark.

I'm strongly in favor of what Dark Reader does when you enable it, as the black goes well with the cyan colors. It just looks so much better.

vs

Nov 11, 2023 10:19 PM

Nov 2018
I've added VTuber to the google doc. 75 entries for the max level for now, should be possible to reach within the next year once more MVs or shorts are released.

Nov 18, 2023 10:26 PM

Nov 2018
I've added quite a few badge levels due to thresholds being met.

I've also played around with the Episode Fan badges as the number of entries the top user has for the likes of Champion and Mega has increased a lot since I made the spreadsheet. So I'm adjusting the requirements and points for each of those badges accordingly, unless you can give me a concrete number for all 7 episode badges right now Koito?

Dec 10, 2023 1:25 AM

Nov 2018
@Koito91 does the VTuber badge only count songs done by Hololive members? There are other songs from different VTuber groups and agencies that can be found on MAL, and there are 3 interest stacks that jojovonjo has made that have 140+ songs

Could you possibly add them to the list that counts towards the badge? I've added the extra levels on the spreadsheet ready for the change (150 entries in anticipation) since 20 entries for the badge is way too easy to complete (top users have triple the amount)

Dec 23, 2023 6:38 AM

Nov 2018
Reply to _cjessop19_
I think the best way we should counteract people who add lost media to their lists to inflate their numbers and achieve a higher badge level is to implement a penalty multiplier.

We should introduce a lost media penalty multiplier, where for each entry that is confirmed to be lost media, your entire XP score is affected by using the following equation:

Score = XP * (1 - 0.01N), where N is the number of lost media entries. Let's say you made a MAL account in the past 2 years and you're at 190,000 XP and you have 50 lost media entries on your list, now your score will be 95,000 XP.

And of course, we won't show what multiplier you have, we'll only indicate whether your score is affected or now. You'll have to go through your list and check which entries are lost media. This would be fun for people with over 10k completed anime who only recently joined MAL.
@_cjessop19_
Bumping this idea because of the new number 1.

With the Lost Media Taskforce post, we could use the entries that are confirmed to be lost media (not those that are unable to be viewed at the moment) to contribute to a multiplier. When Amadeus detects an entry that's been flagged as lost media, then it contributes to the value of N. It's such a simple method of deterring cheaters, it should be a feature that is next implemented. Over the past couple of months, there have been a couple dozen Minna no Uta songs that are confirmed to be lost media that were added to the DB, so we have plenty of entries that can contribute to the multiplier.

Also @Koito91, when do you plan on coming back and starting development again for next year? We're all raring to see the site be improved further.
_cjessop19_Dec 23, 2023 6:43 AM

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Support ( 1 2 3 4 )

Koito91 - Dec 9, 2022

188 by YuraItsuki »»
Apr 19, 7:23 AM

Sticky: » [Mar 3] Current Status

Koito91 - Feb 21

0 by Koito91 »»
Feb 21, 11:04 PM

» Lost/Inaccessible Media taskforce

_cjessop19_ - Jul 18, 2023

18 by IridescentJaune »»
Jul 29, 2023 9:45 PM

» Badges for specific shows considered harmful

inim - Dec 25, 2022

4 by Zevven »»
Jul 8, 2023 2:58 AM

» [REMOVED] MB homepage logo taskforce

_cjessop19_ - Mar 6, 2023

32 by Kreidirk »»
Jun 16, 2023 4:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.