Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Mar 14, 2023 9:07 PM

Nov 2018

With the rankings displayed on a user's profile, if any of their rankings are tied along with other users, could you add a small parenthesis or star above the number like so saying "tied with X other users" when you hover over it? If they aren't, then the system won't add the star to the user's profile.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Mar 15, 2023 5:44 AM
The small one

Nov 2019
I was wondering if it would be possible (or necessary) to add a timer to the "Update Now" button? I always find myself a bit uncertain on when I'll be able to update my profile again. That way you would always know exactly when you can update your profile.
Mar 15, 2023 3:33 PM

Nov 2018
LyriaLegende said:
I was wondering if it would be possible (or necessary) to add a timer to the "Update Now" button? I always find myself a bit uncertain on when I'll be able to update my profile again. That way you would always know exactly when you can update your profile.

I believe we're gonna add a queue indicator like what anime.plus has in the near future.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Mar 15, 2023 8:27 PM

Nov 2018
@Koito91 with Year Badges 192X-198X, are we going with 1960-1979 plus 5 extra badges for the 1910’s-1950’s? I think it’s best to group those decades so that those badges can get enough entries to reach some of the level caps.

Also, please add “Add music entry type badge” to the list.

Mar 16, 2023 3:19 AM
The small one

Nov 2019
_cjessop19_ said:

I believe we're gonna add a queue indicator like what anime.plus has in the near future.

Sounds great! Can't wait for that!
Mar 18, 2023 5:28 PM

Nov 2018
I think we should implement a settings page on MB. We could replace where the dark mode button is on the page with an icon of a gear, clicking on it will take users to a new page with all the settings and customization options (where we would relocate dark mode to.)

I think we should consider implementing the following:

- Custom color schemes: The ability to either choose from the current default dark/light mode color schemes, or to manually change the color schemes to whatever people want. People might want to keep the dark mode aesthetic, but they might want to change the blue color to a red or a green color, or maybe a darker shade of blue, maybe changing the colors of all 130+ badges to whatever they feel like, or having the page match closely to their badge color.

Just like MAL, I think people would be more invested in MB (and willing to join) if they have the option to tailor the page design to their preferences.

We could then provide 3 options in the settings page for either light mode, dark mode, and custom color scheme.

- Automated profile updater: an option in the settings page for users to choose when they want their profile to be automatically added to the update queue.

We could provide the options of either every 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 1 month, 2 months, and 3 months

I believe we will be able to handle this since you said you'll be adding more workers to help the only one that's doing all the updating.

To prevent abuse and overload, I think we should limit this to users that have been active within the last 3 months, as this could prevent bot accounts from overloading the queue system (as they only get used on the first day of creation), and this would remove any abandoned or super inactive accounts added to the system. I assume we could detect when the user was last active on MAL? I think we should also limit this to users who actually have the bronze 1 star badge (assuming we go ahead and add in a level 0 badge?)

When users pass the 3 months limit of being inactive, Amadeus automatically turns off the user's auto queuer setting. The user can manually turn it back on again if they want, resetting the timer. The update button should also be locked for users since they're on the auto queuer. If they decide to manually update their profile before the day they get automatically updated, then the timer resets to zero and they'd have to wait again (especially for longer update times). The button should be greyed out and a pop-up message attached to it when you hover over it with your mouse saying "This user has been added to the automated queuing system, and therefore cannot be manually updated." Users would have to turn off the feature for their profile in their settings.

Amadeus should also try to distribute all the users who have this setting turned on throughout all the days of the week as to not cause massive queue times in certain periods of some days. Turning the feature on would update your profile now and then again on whatever day you get allocated to either the current week or the following week, then it would go ahead with the scheduled period.

Mar 19, 2023 2:53 AM

Nov 2018
Just a small thing, instead of "User joined the party!" in the log page, shouldn't it say "User has joined the party!"?

Mar 26, 2023 6:52 AM

Nov 2018
_cjessop19_ said:
- Custom color schemes: The ability to either choose from the current default dark/light mode color schemes, or to manually change the color schemes to whatever people want. People might want to keep the dark mode aesthetic, but they might want to change the blue color to a red or a green color, or maybe a darker shade of blue, maybe changing the colors of all 130+ badges to whatever they feel like, or having the page match closely to their badge color.

Just like MAL, I think people would be more invested in MB (and willing to join) if they have the option to tailor the page design to their preferences.

We could then provide 3 options in the settings page for either light mode, dark mode, and custom color scheme.

To expand on this idea,

What if we had custom wallpapers? We could provide a set of patterns for wallpapers and backgrounds to choose from.

Imagine darkmode's background but you have some sort of abstract or recurring pattern running across the page.

Mar 29, 2023 12:05 AM
Mar 2019
Hello

And big thanks to all of you working on this project!

I love the idea of improved mal-badges 2.0 and can't wait to see end result, but I've been checking the numbers in here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KIT0KaceKrY6AgR0m8rC2O_4ObqT4UDq3lP5Y4ZXGmY/edit#gid=1755798803 and two things poke to my eye as "poor progression", firstly in genres/themes progression of badges goes like this:

Jump from 250 to 500 seems quite steep, like a wall of "now-double-it". But since criticizing and running ones mouth is easy, I will offer suggestion.
How about change of progression of theme and genre  badges to this:

This way progression is more gradual (especially meaningful with common tags like action, comedy etc.) and it would only add only one new level on the way to 500, so it shouldn't throw balancing completely out of whack.
Other progression curve that rubs me wrong way is year badges, mostly for the same reason, although to much lesser degree. So how about from this:

to this:

Reasoning being the same as with genres and themes.
Mar 29, 2023 12:58 AM

Nov 2018
ReneeFin said:
Jump from 250 to 500 seems quite steep, like a wall of "now-double-it".

We can't have too many levels for all the badges, otherwise we would have too many points available to reach lvl 50. Since there will be 70+ genre/theme badges available, I see that jumping from 250 to 500 is perfectly fine, since the jump from over 1000 is every 500 entries, and most anime will have multiple genres and themes attached to them.

I've slightly modified the yearly badges.

Mar 29, 2023 7:48 AM
Mar 2019
_cjessop19_ said:
We can't have too many levels for all the badges, otherwise we would have too many points available to reach lvl 50. Since there will be 70+ genre/theme badges available, I see that jumping from 250 to 500 is perfectly fine, since the jump from over 1000 is every 500 entries, and most anime will have multiple genres and themes attached to them.

I see your point.

_cjessop19_ said:
I've slightly modified the yearly badges.
neat! Seems better like this.

Now back to lurking mode 👍
ReneeFinMar 29, 2023 8:08 AM
Mar 31, 2023 12:52 PM
Oct 2017
Hi 

I saw the episode badges are getting worked on. Are the points going to change? At the moment you get the same amount for watching 100 12 episode shows as you would for watch 100 100 episode shows. Hope my question makes sense :D  
Mar 31, 2023 3:39 PM

Nov 2018
BeastyAnimefan said:
Hi 

I saw the episode badges are getting worked on. Are the points going to change? At the moment you get the same amount for watching 100 12 episode shows as you would for watch 100 100 episode shows. Hope my question makes sense :D  

For now we’ll use the same points for all the episode badges, then we’ll use the points from the excel sheet to replace them in the overhaul. So the points in place will be temporary for now

Apr 10, 2023 12:03 AM

Nov 2018
@Koito91 is it possible for you to add in a new icon that indicates whether someone is a part of the club on MAL? An icon that says [CLUB] in the ranking page and on a user's profile?

You'd somehow have to scan all the club members every so often and store it in some DB, and then apply it to everyone that's a part of the club and on the site (removed if you leave the club). I feel like we could reward users for at least joining the club and supporting the website, even after many years when it was created

So all 1.2k people out of the roughly 6.6k users on MB would get it. It's like getting a special achievement in a Steam game where you do something like making a purchase or liking and recommending the game to others - that sort of thing. It will in turn encourage other people to join the club and get the icon.

If at least half of all users get the icon, we would easily be one of the largest and fastest growing clubs on MAL.

I also feel like we should consider adding more icons for other things like celebrating milestones for time spent on the website, and even a Contributor badge for people who help with the development of the site. Surely we have info regarding when users enter the DB?

Then people can collect them like they're the infinity stones. So for you, it would be MAL supporter, Dev, X year badge, Club badge.

(Also, our tick badges should show up in the rankings.)
_cjessop19_Apr 10, 2023 5:39 AM

Apr 11, 2023 12:12 AM

Nov 2018
[Profiles: Added the "MAL Supporter", "Reported", and "Administrator" icons to the profiles.]

Please also add the Administrator and the Advisor icons to the ranking page (as per my previous post)

Apr 15, 2023 4:40 AM

Nov 2018
With the VTuber badge, are you gonna make it so that if people go like 5% above what you’ve set in your list for the number of VTuber episodes currently watched, assuming you will definitely stay up to date until the entry is set to complete, then the system will exclude them from appearing on the tally or getting points for the badge? Especially with HnG, you will need to put some kind of measure to stop others from abusing it.

Apr 19, 2023 6:42 PM

Nov 2018
I think a good idea for disabling the update profile button is when you hover and hold over it, text appears saying "This feature has been temporarily disabled until the issue(s) with it have be fixed".

The mouse icon changing into the red crossed circle icon is a good addition

Apr 19, 2023 7:40 PM

Nov 2018
@Koito91 Just had an idea that may get traction if people are willing to participate in it.

What if we had a minigame mode on MB in the style of Top Trumps?

So my idea is that you press start game, you only have a time limit of 10 seconds, two random profiles are loaded on the screen with the screen split down the middle like T (with text above saying "which profile has the most: [RANDOM STATISTIC]")

These profiles would have to come up against other profiles within the same badge level, which will be displayed on the screen somewhere, so we're guaranteed to have wildly varying statistics to use as Trump stats since you can earn the same amount of points in very different ways. And this may force people to memorize patterns and observe trends in the ranking charts, which would slightly increase their odds up from 50% for each round.

You play however many rounds in a row before you lose, and your progress gets ranked against the others. Only your best go will be displayed.

Since there are thousands of people to choose from, you can have hundreds of thousands to millions of potential match-ups. And the best part is that peoples' stats will continue to update and become larger as time progresses, so someone who appeared in the Red 5 star badge battle vs someone else maybe appear again in the Orange 1 star badge battle when they earn enough points (after the future lvl 50 update). So the event will be virtually random.

And this game could compare any stats, including number of anime completed for a certain badge, number of badges achieved, random badge's level, etc. Just not mean score and rewatched. Any stats between two people that would result in a tie would have to be blacklisted before they load onto the screen. If we allow for 2-3 seconds of pre-loading each round

I think to make this as rewarding and addictive and drive as much traffic to the site, we should reward the top 10 users with a 1.01 x XP score multiplier. It would be a lot to code in, but it may be worth the trouble in the end.

Example: someone in the top 10 with 7.5M XP would get a 1.01 x boost and would then sit at 7.575M XP. The lower your XP is, the smaller the boost, but it may help you climb the ranks a bit quicker.

The rankings for the minigame would be updated once every 6 or 12 hours by Amadeus, so you could have the XP bonus for as little as 6 hours. And I do truly expect the XP bonus to shift between hundreds of players in a short period of time. Some people might hold on to it for days or weeks at a time before being displaced. But they can always participate again whilst having the boost and improving their score and staying in the top 10.

Once someone gets kicked from the top 10, their profile gets automatically updated by Amadeus to revert to the normal XP score. Should be fine if we plan on adding more workers?

If we want to be really fancy, we could have small animations play out like the two images clashing or have sparks or flames flying out.

What do you think of this idea? @LunyRem

Apr 21, 2023 12:08 AM

Nov 2018
@Koito91 we need to do something about "I'm level X on MB" as the number blends in too well when using darkmode. Are you able to make a new BBCode section titled "Dark mode friendly version" where the img for the level number is white, not black like it is usually?

I do be trolling ^^

Apr 21, 2023 6:54 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
I got tagged by @_cjessop19_ so here I am!

_cjessop19_ said:
I'm not familiar with Top Trumps and I've never heard of it before.

This does sound like a good idea for the site. But what I'm curious about is if this kind of minigame will be feasible to implement in the site. I mean, who is going to write the code for this minigame? Based from what I understand, this sounds like a very elaborate setup. Not sure if one person can handle writing the code alone and might possibly need more help from other programmers.

I do like the idea, though. This sounds like a good time-killer and users would surely get hooked in discovering more user profiles in MAL-Badges. But if there's anyone who will be dedicated to encode/write a code, script, whatever for this kind of minigame, then that would be great.

====================

Also, I didn't have time to post around here, but I saw these and I thought....

I'm very much in favor of the suggestion by @ReneeFin . This kind of progression curve is more lenient and I personally think this gives more encouragement for the user to keep going/grinding rather than going with very wide level gaps.
Apr 23, 2023 5:33 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Salutations! Thank you very much for upgrading the episode badges with new distribution for different episode lengths.

I've noticed that the thresholds remain the same from the original version. Will the badge level, entry requirements, and point distribution be upgraded/improved too just like in this proposal?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KIT0KaceKrY6AgR0m8rC2O_4ObqT4UDq3lP5Y4ZXGmY/edit#gid=988333706

The max level of 25 from the proposal doesn't need to be applied immediately. I think you just need to take note of the highest number (or 2nd highest) by looking at the rankings.

Once again, thank you for all your hard work @Koito91 !
Apr 23, 2023 7:08 PM

Nov 2018
LunyRem said:
I've noticed that the thresholds remain the same from the original version. Will the badge level, entry requirements, and point distribution be upgraded/improved too just like in this proposal?

Yes. What's there now will be temporary until we update all the levels.

I'll start soon with updating the points and levels for the episode badges now that they've been implemented.

Apr 23, 2023 11:29 PM

Nov 2018
@Koito91 I see we're going to add the new yearly badges next.

https://anime.jhiday.net/hof/charts

Are we going with normal yearly badges for 1960-1979 and then decade badges for the remaining years up to 1910's? I can only see this post being the only feasible option for these new badges.

1910's: 26 total
1920's: 40 total
1930's: 112 total
1940's: 35 total
1950's: 101 total

Apr 24, 2023 7:33 AM

Nov 2018
Instead of the current names for the episode badges, we could maybe go for something like using the Greek alphabet instead?

Beta Episode Fan
Number of Anime with 1 to 8 episodes seen
Gamma Episode Fan
Number of Anime with 9 to 13 episodes seen
Epsilon Episode Fan
Number of Anime with 14 to 26 episodes seen
Omicron Episode Fan
Number of Anime with 27 to 39 episodes seen
Upsilon Episode Fan
Number of Anime with 40 to 52 episodes seen
Sigma Episode Fan
Number of Anime with 53 to 99 episodes seen
Omega Episode Fan
Number of Anime with more than 100 episodes seen

Apr 26, 2023 3:49 AM

Mar 2020
First of all, I would like to thank Koito91 for her hard work.

Secondly, I don't dislike the current names of the Episode badges. However, if you are considering changing them, what do you think about these ones?

Beginner Episode Fan

Seasonal Episode Fan

Intermediate Episode Fan

Advanced Episode Fan

Expert Episode Fan

Professional Episode Fan

Master Episode Fan

“In general, men prefer to let their actions speak instead of words. When they’re in pain, they don’t want to burden anyone with it, not if they can help it. They don’t want anyone to worry about them. That’s how they are. Even so, there may come a time when they’ll ask for your help. And when they do, I know that you’ll be there for them. Isn’t that enough?”

     — Maes Hughes
Apr 26, 2023 4:09 AM

Nov 2018
Kreidirk said:
First of all, I would like to thank Koito91 for her hard work.

Secondly, I don't dislike the current names of the Episode badges. However, if you are considering changing them, what do you think about these ones?

Beginner Episode Fan

Seasonal Episode Fan

Intermediate Episode Fan

Advanced Episode Fan

Expert Episode Fan

Professional Episode Fan

Master Episode Fan

I would swap Expert with Professional imo

Apr 26, 2023 5:18 AM

Nov 2018
What if in the log page, we shift the table lower down, and above it we add a small section that displays the most recent badge level increase?

It would update every time a user updates their profile and the system detects that they have gone to the next badge level.

It would display the user and their pfp, then underneath that would show which badge they leveled up from (Badge 24 -> Badge 25). Underneath that is the time since they last updated. -> all in a small box

The whole thing would only display the 5 most recent badge increases, once it updates, the person at the end would fade off and disappear as they slide off the screen. The whole movement of all 5 boxes would be them sliding across like a powerpoint presentation.

If we added that in now, it would be slow as it'll take a lot of time to increase the badge levels, but I believe it will pick up in speed and we might see a few level increases every hour once we hit like 100k users.

We would somehow have to find a way to add a live updating feature that will automatically update even when a user is already on the page.

Apr 27, 2023 3:59 AM

Oct 2010
Suggestion for a Prison School badge
Apr 28, 2023 12:30 AM

Nov 2018
@Koito91 I've updated the episode fan badges to take into account the newly given figures from the top ranking users in each badge.

We can always add in more levels or change things around if we know the true limits of what's possible with each badge. Perhaps you could make a secret account that has every anime set to complete so you can see all the values given for each badge?

Apr 28, 2023 6:30 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Wait, hold on.

Why do the earlier badge levels of Ultimate Episode Fan have larger gaps for entry requirements as opposed to the badge levels of Champion Episode Fan?? If anything, the entry requirements for Ultimate Episode Fan should be similar to the gaps as the entry requirements for Champion Episode Fan.

Champion Episode Fan (27-39 episodes)
Entries Needed for Completion:
1, 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100.......

Ultimate Episode Fan (40-52 episodes)
1, 5, 10, 25, 50, 75, 100.......

The anime with larger episode counts have higher requirements?! That's not cool. It would make more sense if the badge levels would have been readjusted to be the same as that of Champion Episode Fan.

Can this still be changed? Or maybe you just had the list mixed up for both of them? Swap those two tables with each other for both entries (yellow & orange) and it would all make sense.
Apr 28, 2023 6:55 AM

Nov 2018
LunyRem said:
Wait, hold on.

Why do the earlier badge levels of Ultimate Episode Fan have larger gaps for entry requirements as opposed to the badge levels of Champion Episode Fan?? If anything, the entry requirements for Ultimate Episode Fan should be similar to the gaps as the entry requirements for Champion Episode Fan.

Champion Episode Fan (27-39 episodes)
1, 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100.......

Ultimate Episode Fan (40-52 episodes)
1, 5, 10, 25, 50, 75, 100.......

The anime with larger episode counts have higher requirements?! That's not cool. It would make more sense if the badge levels would have been readjusted to be the same as that of Champion Episode Fan.

Can this still be changed?

Because the amount of anime the top person has completed for the Ultimate fan badge is much more than the Champion fan badge.
27-39: Top person = 305 https://www.mal-badges.com/badges/m-anime
40-52: Top person = 753 https://www.mal-badges.com/badges/l-anime

If I kept the same badge progression for the Champion badge (1, 5, 10, 25, 50, ...), then you would only get 36,900 XP from all levels combined, which would make it the lowest earning entry length badge by a long shot. In order to keep the same number of badge levels for all the badges and keep the total XP for each badge progressing up per badge type (1 cour < 2 cour < etc.), this is the order that I have come up with. I won't be making an extra 10-15 levels for all the other badges just to make them fit with the 27-39 badge.

I've changed the 40-52 badge so that you now earn more total XP since there is more than 2x the total amount of anime available for it. So the total points progression for all 7 entry length badges go as followed:

266210, 312650, 476650, 525900, 721900, 1148100, 1248250
_cjessop19_Apr 28, 2023 7:02 AM

Apr 28, 2023 8:17 AM

Mar 2018
It's great and all, but you all are aware I'm not going to change the system how the XP points are handled? Already stated this earlier.
Example; 'Armor' would give 180k at most according to the sheet.

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Apr 28, 2023 4:34 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
@_cjessop19_ I can see that the total experience points gained for each episode badges are increasing starting from 1 episode only to the 100+ episodes type of anime. I appreciate that.

But I guess I wasn't being specific. The minor thing that I was trying to point out was that the starting values of 40-52 episode anime seem a bit difficult for beginners. First time anime viewers would think that the difficulty curve for the 40-52 episode anime badge seems pretty steep in comparison with the 27-39 episode anime. Hence I was asking if the progression of 1, 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 etc. could also be applied to Ultimate Episode Fan.

I can see that the top person in Ultimate Episode Fan has seen over 700 anime of this length, which is incredible yet unbelievable too. I was thinking if the Entry Requirements could have been adjusted for the starting values, it would be possible that the max level wouldn't have to be 700, which is completely fine, tbh. It wouldn't hurt if the max value was lowered down to 600 or even 500. I would never ask to adjust the experience points gained as I believe they should be kept that way. It's just the starting values that I wanted to emphasize. After all, I don't know if there are some of those 40-52 episode anime that are inaccessible or lost media to make it possible to reach over 700. I don't know about that.

This is just my 2 cents though. I only wanted to express my opinion about this. You're free to keep the values that way if you do. No biggie.

Apr 29, 2023 5:08 AM

Nov 2018
Koito91 said:
It's great and all, but you all are aware I'm not going to change the system how the XP points are handled? Already stated this earlier.
Example; 'Armor' would give 180k at most according to the sheet.

LunyRem said:
@_cjessop19_ I can see that the total experience points gained for each episode badges are increasing starting from 1 episode only to the 100+ episodes type of anime. I appreciate that.

But I guess I wasn't being specific. The minor thing that I was trying to point out was that the starting values of 40-52 episode anime seem a bit difficult for beginners. First time anime viewers would think that the difficulty curve for the 40-52 episode anime badge seems pretty steep in comparison with the 27-39 episode anime. Hence I was asking if the progression of 1, 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 etc. could also be applied to Ultimate Episode Fan.

I can see that the top person in Ultimate Episode Fan has seen over 700 anime of this length, which is incredible yet unbelievable too. I was thinking if the Entry Requirements could have been adjusted for the starting values, it would be possible that the max level wouldn't have to be 700, which is completely fine, tbh. It wouldn't hurt if the max value was lowered down to 600 or even 500. I would never ask to adjust the experience points gained as I believe they should be kept that way. It's just the starting values that I wanted to emphasize. After all, I don't know if there are some of those 40-52 episode anime that are inaccessible or lost media to make it possible to reach over 700. I don't know about that.

This is just my 2 cents though. I only wanted to express my opinion about this. You're free to keep the values that way if you do. No biggie.

Okay, so basically, forget about everything regarding the points system that has been talked about for however many months now. I have reworked my approach to things.

I've made big changes to the google doc, so all the points have been tailored to the current XP system. Different badge types have different set XP for the max lvl. So the last level for each badge is the total amount of XP a person can earn from said badge (until the next cap level is reached), just like what things are like now.

In the google doc, all the tabs that have a tick in its name means that I have gone through and made the changes.

Everything should be nice and uniform, and hopefully this meets your approval @Koito91, I'll be sure to do the exact same thing when it's time to add manga to MB.

Apr 29, 2023 6:22 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
@_cjessop19_ I browsed around the updated google doc because I was curious about the major changes. The new XP distribution is a very welcome one. And well-deserving too, IMO. After all, it takes plenty of time to finish anime with a specific amount of episodes if they belong to a specific genre, theme, demographic when a single anime is a qualifying entry to reach higher levels for more XP. So all these major overhaul with the XP is wholeheartedly appreciated.

I was also going to address the issue about certain badges not having enough XP when they have been newly added and I was supposed to request some adjustments. When I looked at the newest updated google doc, I can see that my wish has been granted before I could even post a request about it. (I was too busy and didn't had enough free time to write something that's gonna need plenty of embedded images) Badges such as Pets FanLove Polygon FanVisual Arts FanRomantic Subtext Fan & Survival Fan currently have very little point distribution where they're capped at 500 points only. However, if the new proposal in the revised google doc will be implemented, then I'm sure this will be fixed and most of the badges should earn the corresponding XP distribution that they deserve.

With this new XP distribution, I was thinking that....maybe....the website is ready to be upgraded into a full badge system of 50 levels?? (Up to the 5-star pink badge)

You're all doing a great job in improving MAL-Badges and I salute you @_cjessop19_ & @Koito91 ! Thanks for all your hard work! ;_;)7
Apr 29, 2023 6:41 AM

Nov 2018
Also, with the current points layout and how easy it'll be to earn 1000 points (lvl 1 = 50 points - x20 = 1k), can we please go ahead with the level zero badge as people would only need to add like 3-5 things to their list to get the bronze 1 star?

Apr 30, 2023 7:34 AM

Nov 2018
I would probably change "Level of MAL-Badges" to "Levels of MAL-Badges", it feels more natural that way as you're presenting info about all the levels.

Apr 30, 2023 8:52 AM

Nov 2018
In the levels page, underneath the percentages, do you think it's a good idea to list the number of members as well?

It's good having a percentage, but what is the fraction of members that equal to the %?

For example, for the level 26 badge it should go XP range, underneath that is the percentage, and underneath that is 375/7774 (around that figure, idk what the exact values are for it now.)

Apr 30, 2023 8:32 PM

Nov 2018
I think you mentioned something before in the club comments about adding additional workers to help Amadeus and to reduce the workload of the one bot that is doing all the updating. Did you say we can have up to 32 workers at once?

Do you think we can start adding in more workers? If you said 32 was the limit, do we want to scale up the number of workers to 4 workers for every 10k users on the site? So we add in another 3 for now and then once we reach 10k, we add in another 4 and so on until we reach 80k users (or whatever the server can handle)

In the logging page, do you think it would be neat to see displayed at the top the number of workers and how many updates they've performed in total since the site has been up (assuming we've kept track of the number of updates)? I think this would be a temporary thing until you create the Stats page, then you can move it to there afterwards.

Apr 30, 2023 8:53 PM

Nov 2018

Is it possible to add a progress bar for all the levels displayed when you select a badge in a user's profile?

Right now for TV Fan, I have 383 completed. Would it be possible to make the remaining levels 383/500 and 383/1000, and each bar is filled up to whatever percentage of completion they're at? Same for every other badge, then you would see the progress bar fill up less and less the further down you scroll through all the levels. (it would be a different progress bar to the one displayed on your profile since it's from one level to the next)

May 2, 2023 2:31 AM

Mar 2018
_cjessop19_ said:
Also, with the current points layout and how easy it'll be to earn 1000 points (lvl 1 = 50 points - x20 = 1k), can we please go ahead with the level zero badge as people would only need to add like 3-5 things to their list to get the bronze 1 star?

There will be no Level 0 badge. Everyone starts at Level 1 just like games. The little change with the new template regards to Level XP min-max is already something in the correct direction before we implement the new level cap 50 thing.

_cjessop19_ said:
I would probably change "Level of MAL-Badges" to "Levels of MAL-Badges", it feels more natural that way as you're presenting info about all the levels.

Changed on the Template-Release day.

_cjessop19_ said:
In the levels page, underneath the percentages, do you think it's a good idea to list the number of members as well?

It's good having a percentage, but what is the fraction of members that equal to the %?

For example, for the level 26 badge it should go XP range, underneath that is the percentage, and underneath that is 375/7774 (around that figure, idk what the exact values are for it now.)

Will think about it.

_cjessop19_ said:
I think you mentioned something before in the club comments about adding additional workers to help Amadeus and to reduce the workload of the one bot that is doing all the updating. Did you say we can have up to 32 workers at once?

Do you think we can start adding in more workers? If you said 32 was the limit, do we want to scale up the number of workers to 4 workers for every 10k users on the site? So we add in another 3 for now and then once we reach 10k, we add in another 4 and so on until we reach 80k users (or whatever the server can handle)

In the logging page, do you think it would be neat to see displayed at the top the number of workers and how many updates they've performed in total since the site has been up (assuming we've kept track of the number of updates)? I think this would be a temporary thing until you create the Stats page, then you can move it to there afterwards.

Amadeus is not that stuck anymore as before, at the same time the code is a bit optimized now. I already prepared a second hand for Amadeus and it knows when that is needed. I can safely say that we never need to use 32 hands for Amadeus, and if so, 32 is not the limit x)
I can see that Amadeus performed 10356 User updates since mid January (as Amadeus did not exist before that) and 193 User updates today.

_cjessop19_ said:
...Is it possible to add a progress bar for all the levels displayed when you select a badge in a user's profile?

Right now for TV Fan, I have 383 completed. Would it be possible to make the remaining levels 383/500 and 383/1000, and each bar is filled up to whatever percentage of completion they're at? Same for every other badge, then you would see the progress bar fill up less and less the further down you scroll through all the levels. (it would be a different progress bar to the one displayed on your profile since it's from one level to the next)

Yes, this was something I thought about but wanted to present the new Template and don't want to rush coding by not optimizing it before the 2 busy weeks I'm currently in.

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
May 2, 2023 5:12 AM

Nov 2018
Koito91 said:
I can see that Amadeus performed 10356 User updates since mid January (as Amadeus did not exist before that) and 193 User updates today.

It would be nice to see that plotted on a graph don't you think? Something for the Stats page in the future.

Koito91 said:
I already prepared a second hand for Amadeus and it knows when that is needed

Can we please name the second hand Wolfgang? (In reference to the 1984 film Amadeus, and of course Mozart himself)
_cjessop19_May 2, 2023 5:18 AM

May 4, 2023 6:39 AM

Nov 2018
Can we please also add the Music Type badge in the next update (along with the yearly badges)? Then we have all the badges completed and ready for the big update.

Since we already have a Music Fan badge, are we gonna change the entry type badges to say "X Type Fan"? I think this makes the most sense moving forward.

May 7, 2023 7:13 AM

Aug 2018
Greetings,  i am kinda late in the suggestions apartment arent i ?

I am a supporter of the feature mal badges and believe if rightly done it could and schould be a main feature of mal, imagine a extension of the current lists wich give you only the options:

Watching, Completed, On - Hold, Dropped and Plan to watch, that you have the option to click for more details and the badges windows when opened, with the categories , years, genre , etc and you would be abel to update your list from there directly from the categorie, well it sure would make my life easier, for users over 1000 items in the completed section its kinda a pain in the ass - scrolling them, the current sorting options are insufficient to say the least but thats a dream for another day, having a easier and more precise overview.

I noticed small changes and was like, m i gonna crazy ? So this was you guys :D

Like Rookie, Champion, Ultra, Mega,  like the evolutions levels of Digimon , and then it cliked a user in the comments with a Gatomon and Wizardmon profile picture, i suppose she is the culprit for that.

I did not really had the time to read all , but i kinda glimpsed thru and some fair arguments and good topics were addressed, for example the part with old anime, i agree from 1980 to 2000 , its really  hard to get to 50 in these years anime production was fewer, and overall number of episodes was higher i support the user who mentioned this, i think 1980 to 2000 schould be 30 the line, from 2001 to 2021 the caunt can be doubeld to 60 , and for anime from 2022,2023 onwards 90 reason for it there is simply more options and more good anime out there ...

Thankfuly i am a fan of Akira Toriyama and Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, GT et , Dr Slup .... also  stuff from childhood with nostalgia its easier to watch , but most users do not have that nostalgia factor, the only old anime i truly enyoed wich was not from my childhood is Legend of the Galactic Heroes, the rest was mostly mediocre. I had my hopes high for Ashita no Joe but after finishing it , i came to the definitiv conlusion, i prefer modern shows.

I have to be honest, the things that were so far implemented were mostly downgrades to the previous mal badges:

Anime - Ranks only 500 ?   Guys Seriously, why so low ?

Episodes - Ranks 10000 ? Guys Seriously, why so low ?

Tv Anime shows, and Episode caunt schould be the hardest and most flexibel on xp giving.

ONA Fan - Ranks 500 but special is 1000 ? The way i see it, this category is equaly difficult, so why the drastic difference ?

Hentai has room for 500 easily. ( Not everybody has to have this badge)

I would definetly include also a music category. 

Movie Fan - Ranks is a joke, i alsmot take it as a personal insult , only 100 ?  If you watch All Dragon Ball movies, Z, GT, Super,  etc, Bleach movies, Naruto movies , Boruto movies, One Piece, only these 4 franchises you have completed around 50 half , but what about the tons and tons short clips, what about other anime tv series with movies, what about Ghibli movies and masterpieces like Kimi no na wa, point is this category has easly room for 500 or even 1000 for completion, reward more xp to this.

In Contrast Champion Episode Fan, Ultimate Episode Fan , Mega Episode Fan 99 to (big difference) Armor Episode Fan - this in particular needs 100 anime with over 100 episodes to be complited, i dont even know 100 over 100 ep, i could name 50 , and i am a user with over 4000 completed  items in the list, there is no balance in this...

Also there are Anime over 1000 ep, like One Piece, Case Closed, Shin Chan have over 1000 and are ongoing, schould we ignor the legend tier ?

Most Anime have around 12 ep,  some have less, some have more up to 24-25 are in the norm,  from 26 to 52 would be also ok, everything above is very rare, to put a number on this field like 100 is like asking to watch everything that exists in this tier.

I love the Uniqes, and thats something that scould be expanded, mainly as a feature to promote lesser known series, unique stuff, but also some trolls, stuff like the dumb pinguin shit i suffered while watching for the previous badge , its a easy way for user to get xp but also to open minds to new stuff.

I see the logic behind the dropped list and why it was removed and i hate to say i do agree :( .

Why the sad face you ask ?

... mainly cause i had a hell of a time figuring out what to put in this tier for the old mal badges category, new users have it so much  easier.

Could  be interesting ?

Category Watching : reward xp for activ users, ( I mean seasonal )

Category On Hold : reward xp for users who save somehing for later,

Dropped : I feel you pain , gained some bad  xp , take a break,

Plan to watch, lets reward and stimulate some new ambitions. ...

Ou and , whats wrong with Thriller , why Suspense ?

And Dmentia, sure Avant Garde sounds more fancy, but the old name dementia was so to the point, i mean 99 % of the stuff with this tag is crap, you have to have dementia or at least a good drug dealer to enjoy it, in contrast Avant Garde is mislieading, it makes it sound nice.

Anyway, there is more stuff , more suggestions i could make but thats enoug food for thought, it is as it is overly complicated and i dont want to make it harder on the creator.

NERo0oMay 7, 2023 10:47 AM
May 7, 2023 8:19 AM

Nov 2018
NERo0o said:
imagine a extension of the current lists wich give you only the options:

Watching, Completed, On - Hold, Dropped and Plan to watch, that you have the option to click for more details and the badges windows when opened, with the categories , years, genre , etc and you would be abel to update your list from there directly from the categorie, well it sure would make my life easier, for users over 1000 items in the completed section its kinda a pain in the ass - scrolling them, the current sorting options are insufficient to say the least but thats a dream for another day, having a easier and more precise overview.

Unfortunately we will not be making it so that you can update your list via MAL-Badges. I would highly recommend you use anime.plus to manage your list easier. Maybe chiaki.site as well as you can update your list using this page

NERo0o said:
Anime - Ranks only 500 ? Guys Seriously, why so low ?

Episodes - Ranks 10000 ? Guys Seriously, why so low ?

Tv Anime shows, and Episode caunt schould be the hardest and most flexibel on xp giving.

ONA Fan - Ranks 500 but special is 1000 ? The way i see it, this category is equaly difficult, so why the drastic difference ?

Hentai has room for 500 easily. ( Not everybody has to have this badge)

I would definetly include also a music category.

Movie Fan - Ranks is a joke, i alsmot take it as a personal insult , only 100 ? If you watch All Dragon Ball movies, Z, GT, Super, etc, Bleach movies, Naruto movies , Boruto movies, One Piece, only these 4 franchises you have completed around 50 half , but what about the tons and tons short clips, what about other anime tv series with movies, what about Ghibli movies and masterpieces like Kimi no na wa, point is this category has easly room for 500 or even 1000 for completion, reward more xp to this.

In Contrast Champion Episode Fan, Ultimate Episode Fan , Mega Episode Fan 99 to (big difference) Armor Episode Fan - this in particular needs 100 anime with over 100 episodes to be complited, i dont even know 100 over 100 ep, i could name 50 , and i am a user with over 4000 completed items in the list, there is no balance in this...

We have all the new levels planned. I have reworked all the points and all the levels for all the badges. We will eventually get around to updating everything once we're ready.
Please read the google doc for everything laid out for the lvl 50 update: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KIT0KaceKrY6AgR0m8rC2O_4ObqT4UDq3lP5Y4ZXGmY/edit?usp=sharing

NERo0o said:
Also there are Anime over 1000 ep, like One Piece, Case Closed, Shin Chan have over 1000 and are ongoing, schould we ignor the legend tier ?

They won't count to anything besides your episodes badge until MAL sets those entries to Completed. They will definitely count towards the 100+ episodes badge.

NERo0o said:
to put a number on this field like 100 is like asking to watch everything that exists in this tier.

Everything is optional

NERo0o said:
I love the Uniqes, and thats something that scould be expanded, mainly as a feature to promote lesser known series

Maybe the last thing we do before we introduce manga badges.
NERo0o said:
Category Watching : reward xp for activ users, ( I mean seasonal )

Category On Hold : reward xp for users who save somehing for later,

Dropped : I feel you pain , gained some bad xp , take a break,

Plan to watch, lets reward and stimulate some new ambitions. ...

No to all of them

NERo0o said:
Ou and , whats wrong with Thriller , why Suspense ?

And Dmentia, sure Avant Garde sounds more fancy, but the old name dementia was so to the point, i mean 99 % od the stuff with this tag is crap, you have to have dementia or at least a good drug dealer to enjoy it, in contrast Avant Garde is mislieading, it makes it sound nice.

Please look in Anime Search at all the themes and genres. The old ones were changed and many were added. And maybe more will be added in the future.

May 7, 2023 11:44 AM

Aug 2018
Thank you, i already use anime.plus , it points to the right direction, but still no cigar, . I cheked chiaki.site and its also a miss, not quit  what i hoped for, i would like options like for exampel a friend asks me any good racing anime to recommend ? Or got something from the year 1995 too recommend , then you just click on the tag in your list or the year and boom , its easier to check 100 items then 4000, at this point google is faster then my lists if i have to type, scroll and search , i watched a ton but the downside is, you forget a lot and i specificly try to remember anime in connection with the year like a good wine to enjoy.

The closest thing would be clicking on seasonal anime on mal and archive, then the year but the problem with that, its general , good for sarching new anime but not a good overview  of the completed ones.

I cheked out your google spredsheets , thumbs up for the effort your put into it, it looks solid but at this stage , i can not make a assesment if the final product will be good or not, there are many changes and many things left to finalize.

NERo0oMay 7, 2023 11:49 AM
May 14, 2023 10:02 PM

Nov 2018
1) In the ranking page, in order to match the order of the columns in the table, can we swap the position of XP Score and Mean Score in the filter by section up top? Then both sections are in the same order.

2) Also in the ranking page, can we add in another filter to sort by time since last updated (from longest time at the top to most recent at the bottom)? There have been profiles that haven't been updated in months, maybe way back since shortly after the site went back up again.

I'm very certain that some people will see these profiles and randomly update them out of necessity of keeping the top inactive users' times to as short as they can, thus keeping things fresh and running (my profile gets randomly update sometimes). We may reduce the top time to only a span of a couple of weeks to a month at maximum as time goes on. This is beneficial for the addition of future badges as well, as they won't get extra points unless you manually update everyone all at once.

We don't need to add in another column to the table of users, that stat can be hidden. It'll only list random users based on the time spent since last updated, which I'm sure you can grab since it does get listed on everyone's profile.

(Or we might see within the next 6-12 months or so users that haven't had a profile update in over a year if things remain the same.)

May 15, 2023 6:52 AM

Nov 2018
@Koito91 I've done the points for all the yearly badges in the google doc. Hopefully we're ready to add the new yearly badges soon

May 16, 2023 12:55 AM

Nov 2018
Can we fix the description for the entry type badges in the badges page?

- We need to capitalize Movie and Special
- We need to change "completed" to "seen" for 4 of the badges
- We need to add the words "type anime" in between the entry type and "seen"

Can we also shift the 4 unique challenge badges all the way down to the bottom of the list of the final page? It would help once we add in future series and challenge badges

May 17, 2023 7:18 AM

Nov 2018
I've considered how the manga badges will take into account the total amount of points, so I've adjusted the points for lvl 50 to be at 11 million XP, and for lvl 100 so it's now at 52 million XP. Maybe it's a 40:60 ratio for points earned for anime and manga?

From lvl 32 onward, the badges will increase in 500k XP increments.

The maximum amount of points you can get with all anime badges is around 20 million XP or so, so hopefully manga badges will let you earn up to around 30 million XP in total
_cjessop19_May 17, 2023 7:50 AM

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Support ( 1 2 3 4 )

Koito91 - Dec 9, 2022

188 by YuraItsuki »»
Apr 19, 7:23 AM

Sticky: » [Mar 3] Current Status

Koito91 - Feb 21

0 by Koito91 »»
Feb 21, 11:04 PM

» Lost/Inaccessible Media taskforce

_cjessop19_ - Jul 18, 2023

18 by IridescentJaune »»
Jul 29, 2023 9:45 PM

» Badges for specific shows considered harmful

inim - Dec 25, 2022

4 by Zevven »»
Jul 8, 2023 2:58 AM

» [REMOVED] MB homepage logo taskforce

_cjessop19_ - Mar 6, 2023

32 by Kreidirk »»
Jun 16, 2023 4:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.