Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 9, 2022 12:39 PM

Oct 2022
I want to preface this by saying I don't want to start a debate or create a highly controversial post. This is just something I have observed

I am currently reading Gantz (Chapter 44) which was written in the early 2000s and a lot of what is said can be considered homophobic as well as its depiction of women is highly sexist. As a male it is hard for me to see how females are represented so I can only imagine how bad it must feel for women to see themselves represented as just a sexual object.

Homophobia is also present with constant uses of the F slur as well as a lot of just homophobic things which are said. While this is a product of the time, the constant sexism and homophobia definitely dull my enjoyment in this.

I understand it was a different time. However, I still feel gross reading it

Anyone else feel this way?

What other Mangas/animes do you feel suffer from this?
REGULAR SHOW TROUNCES ANY ANIME. PEAK FICTION

We protect other species because humans themselves are lonely creatures. We protect the environment because humans themselves don’t want to go extinct. What drives us is simply self-gratification. But I think that’s fine, and that it’s really all there is to it. There’s no point in despising humans by human standards. That’s right. So in the end, it’s hypocritical for us to love Earth without loving ourselves.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Dec 9, 2022 8:51 PM
Oct 2020
When I was reading it, I remember it being really edgy too, but I don't remember any homophobic scenes; I haven't read it in a while. I think some manga that may be controversial of stuff like sexism are Great Teacher Onizuka and Jagaaaaan. I think some manga that portray women well if you're interested is Nana and Claymore. Claymore is more action-like like Gantz.
Jan 20, 2023 11:50 PM
Jan 2020
I support homophobia and sexism in manga. It's good to have manga that reverse-campaign the woke agenda that western country always doing right now
Jan 26, 2023 6:59 PM

Aug 2020
Gantz points a finger to everybody. There is even a mass killing terrorist arc. It is supposed to be edgy, and Gantz does this well.

Jan 26, 2023 8:15 PM

Feb 2017
Yeah Gantz is pretty trashy, it's entertaining schlock. I kinda like edgy over the top series in moderation, usually they make for good binge reads. So I've read stuff like Jagaaaaaan, Koko wa Ima kara Rinri desu, Fire Punch, which had varying levels of questionable content. I think for shock value stuff it's easy for me to look past that kinda content, I almost find it more disappointing in series which aren't like that. Certain parts of Berserk for example were harder for me to read (like Wyald), maybe because it felt out of left field or that it was happening to characters I cared more about.
Jan 27, 2023 7:32 AM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Thread locked for breaking rule 5 of our manga discussion rules.

5. Please refrain from creating threads which extend beyond the discussion of anime/manga as an entertainment medium to highly-debated and/or sensitive issues liable to incite rule violations (trolling, flaming, abuse).

This includes but is not limited to:
gender/racial equality
sexual orientation, homophobia
sexual assault
pedophilia, lolicon/shotacon, incest, teenage-adult relationships

Unfortunately, these threads always devolve into the same final scenario: users are assigned into black/white categories where one side is "SJWs", the other side is "Nazis/rapists/etc", insults/abuse are being fired off from both sides, and trolls come in to feed the drama. Please choose more appropriate settings for these discussions than in a public forum on an entertainment website.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gantz Chapter 83 Discussion

becool - Jun 17, 2013

9 by Blazinnie »»
Apr 17, 7:31 PM

» Gantz Deluxe Edition

Mila91 - Apr 8

4 by Sagepool »»
Apr 8, 11:01 PM

Poll: » Gantz Chapter 22 Discussion

KitaTsuki - Nov 17, 2012

6 by selasgamer »»
Mar 29, 6:59 AM

Poll: » Gantz Chapter 21 Discussion

BackLashWave - Jan 14, 2012

6 by selasgamer »»
Mar 29, 6:54 AM

Poll: » Gantz Chapter 20 Discussion

KitaTsuki - Nov 17, 2012

6 by selasgamer »»
Mar 29, 6:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.