Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 5, 2010 3:01 PM

Apr 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yay Garurumon! xD

Jan 7, 2012 4:24 AM
Jan 2012
Garurumon is my favourite for now. Such a cool blue wolf :D
Hmmm, what's with those phone boots and a trolley in the middle of nowhere? I wonder if it has something to do with main plot.
Jan 12, 2012 4:01 PM

Apr 2011
the dub is so gay. the music is retarded
Jan 21, 2012 10:48 AM
Jan 2012
So we've got Garuromon as well now, nice!

I can't wait for the main plot to get going.

Also, I can't find dubs with the theme song :(
Feb 27, 2014 5:19 AM

Feb 2014
One thing I've always noticed among the children is how mature some of them are portrayed, such as Sora and Yamato, more than ordinary kids. I'm not knowledgeable about Japanese children myself, but maybe it's a cultural thing. Most Asians are generally more studious, after all.

This also gave way for the writers to insert rather serious discussions normal children wouldn't be discussing, even when they are out in the wilderness, such as survival techniques and the like. I've always been a little proud of how the show inserted such realism in the show, giving the children awareness of the danger they are in instead of being dumb little snots.

Also, this episode (and probably also the previous one) have a number of subtle details in the dialogues that furthered character development, something that's the strongest point of the show. You could see that these kids have emotional issues, and yet they are fun enough of a bunch that the younger audiences would want to hang out with them.

The strong characterisation makes this episode easily my favorite one out of the first three so far. If only all the episodes have as much focus on the characters themselves instead of the goofier and cheesier mythios.
TylerMagusFeb 27, 2014 5:33 AM
Apr 9, 2014 12:44 PM
Mar 2013
TylerMagus said:
One thing I've always noticed among the children is how mature some of them are portrayed, such as Sora and Yamato, more than ordinary kids. I'm not knowledgeable about Japanese children myself, but maybe it's a cultural thing. Most Asians are generally more studious, after all.

This also gave way for the writers to insert rather serious discussions normal children wouldn't be discussing, even when they are out in the wilderness, such as survival techniques and the like. I've always been a little proud of how the show inserted such realism in the show, giving the children awareness of the danger they are in instead of being dumb little snots.

Also, this episode (and probably also the previous one) have a number of subtle details in the dialogues that furthered character development, something that's the strongest point of the show. You could see that these kids have emotional issues, and yet they are fun enough of a bunch that the younger audiences would want to hang out with them.

The strong characterisation makes this episode easily my favorite one out of the first three so far. If only all the episodes have as much focus on the characters themselves instead of the goofier and cheesier mythios.
I agree completely. While re-watching this series I've come to notice and appreciate the maturity of the digi-destined (Joe aside ^^).

It's not really about the battles or the digivolving, atleast not for me. The interactions between the characters diverse personalities is easily why I love this series as much as I do. I'm amazed at how they made each character unique.

Also, I've noticed this season places a strong emphasis on family - as you first-time watchers will see in the later episodes. This is another reason why I admire the show even 10 years later.
Aug 9, 2014 8:22 AM

Oct 2009
Rewatching this from the first ep, I really like Yamato the most so far. I really miss Yamato playing the harmonica. I love the melody!

Taichi is a natural born leader but I think he shld choose his words and actions more wisely. The things he says and does can be harsh and insensitive at times but at this point of time, they are not a big deal. Later on, they would surely clash.

So, Digimon digivolves when their human partners are in danger unlike in Pkmn where the trainers intentionally level up, use stones on etc their Pkmn to evolve.

Poor Seadramon...he clearly doesn't deserve that >< I wonder why the wild Digimon they encounter couldn't talk in human speech...is it cos they don't have human partners? And why couldn't they at least try to clear up the misunderstanding to Seadramon? Oh well..I guess Seadramon's purpose is for Gabumon's turn to shine..
Aug 13, 2014 11:48 AM

Jan 2014
Good episode!
That harmonica melody was really nice :)
Jan 12, 2015 9:21 AM

Sep 2014
TylerMagus said:

Also have to agree with this, I love the characters and the way they are portrayed.
Rewatching this brings back so many memories =w=.
nerfxJan 12, 2015 10:47 AM
Jun 2, 2016 10:39 AM

Feb 2013
Garurumon was cool.
They only evolve when their masters are in danger.
I wonder when will strong opponents appear.
Nov 18, 2019 12:15 AM

Apr 2016
Don't get in that trolley! I bet the moment they all get in, the doors will lock and it will roll off into the lake, drowning all of them in it.

Yamato is THE MAN! Diving into the midnight freezing water and swimming a mile to save his brother, and then distracting the monster so that the others could escape. Once again, a Digimon evolves without either having to do anything, just being chalked up to "their master is in danger".

Welp, a day has passed. I'm guessing they will be out of food soon. They're either going to have to become survivalists, or they're going to have their dietary needs supplemented them by virute of being in the digital world.
Nov 28, 2019 3:16 PM

May 2008

They up-scaled it but didn't bother to correct any mistakes... I don't expect them to redraw but re-doing Agumon's eye would be nice. Also Yamato's face. xD

There's loads of seat columns on the trolley so why did they sleep sitting rather than finding an empty one to lay down on? Just so weird.

One thing I found interesting was that Yamato admitted, to Taichi even, his slight inferior complex regarding Takeru (though Taichi didn't seem to grasp that tidbit). Taichi's attitude after he learned about Yamato's parents divorce was also interesting, though it could have been the harmonica lulling him to sleep. MotD aspect felt a little tacked on at the end but still believable - it was an accident.

TylerMagus said:

I also agree.

Each kid have their issues and we can see how their issues affected them via their personality and comparing each to the seemingly more laid-back/"normal" kids. They're not so cookie-cutter. It's a nice touch for a toy commercial.

SakariiNov 28, 2019 3:23 PM
Dec 8, 2019 4:46 PM

Dec 2016

Gosh, this is why I normally hate remastered versions. They usually look worser than the original material, because they make more visually evident all the drawing botches. Original image doesn't look as bad as this one.
Dec 9, 2019 4:02 PM

May 2008
Ferien said:
Gosh, this is why I normally hate remastered versions. They usually look worser than the original material, because they make more visually evident all the drawing botches. Original image doesn't look as bad as this one.

Starting to agree with you. It's so much easier to see the flaws they didn't bother to correct, it's almost distracting and I usually don't notice these things. And the cherry is that the DVD versions don't look that bad. Adventure has aged so well (beyond the CGI, of course) that it's almost preferable.
Sep 28, 2020 2:31 AM

Dec 2012
lol at taichi almost falling.
A Digimon. Monochromon. Adult.
2 of them?
They're fighting each other.
They fell.
A streetcar?
lol at Taichi messing with Agumon.
WTF Yamato? Taichi was just playing.
Oh snap! Fight?
Yamato is a tsundere.
Their parents are divorced.
A Digimon.
Seadramon. Adult.
lol at Palmon's Poison Ivy not reaching Seadramon.
Gabumon got sent flying.
Yamato getting crushed.
Dat theme. Shinka. Garurumon.
lol at Seadramon getting poked in the eye.
Garurumon has legendary skin.
Dat Fox fire.
lol at Agumon saying Mimi will have a well sculpted body like his.
Dat harmonica.
Dat ending.

Taichi asked Gabumon then Gabumon said no and ran away. Taichi didn't even finish his reaction before Yamato appeared with the quickness and shoved him. Its one thing if Taichi went after Gabumon after saying no, but he didn't. Uncalled for.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Apr 12, 2023 5:58 PM

Mar 2023
I watched this show as a kid and I wanted to watch it again for nostalgia purposes... and it's alot worse than I remember haha.
Feb 25, 12:19 PM

Aug 2019
"enään"

such a good dub
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 6 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 6, 2010

15 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 2:26 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 5 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 5, 2010

17 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 1:10 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 4 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 5, 2010

16 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 12:42 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 2 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 3, 2010

18 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 11:56 AM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 1 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 3, 2010

35 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 11:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.