Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Blue Lock
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 5, 2022 4:15 AM

Sep 2013
Sports anime need fluid animation above all else. If that means eschewing hand drawn animation in favor of cg, then so be it.

-snip-
-snip-

This is as close to live action as it gets. There's a much better video out there depicting the final moments of the match, so it's kinda spoilery.

Edit: Videos above have been taken down. They are from the movie: The First Slam Dunk (2022). Here's another one before it gets taken down too: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1wW4y1g7S8
TorribleDec 16, 2022 12:45 AM
Dec 5, 2022 4:44 AM

Apr 2021
don't worry this is the new animation of anime sports
[jmg align=right]https://i.imgur.com/XLRDPsi.png?1[/img]
anime list
manga list
blog posts

Dec 5, 2022 4:56 AM
Sep 2021
Watch Haikyuu if you think this is good sports animation
Dec 5, 2022 4:58 AM

Nov 2021
Bro has watched haikyuu but still says this pfftt
Dec 5, 2022 5:38 AM
Jul 2022
Torrible said:
Sports anime need fluid animation above all else. If that means eschewing hand drawn animation in favor of cg, then so be it.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1sd4y147TE/

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1PK411975b/

This is as close to live action as it gets. There's a much better video out there depicting the final moments of the match, so it's kinda spoilery.

Sorry I can't take that disney style animation seriously. And bro why tf do you want to make animation to look like live action? What's the point of animation then?
Dec 5, 2022 5:55 AM
Jan 2019
dude no

Go back

BL is just flashy so don't get it twisted.
Dec 5, 2022 6:06 AM

Mar 2021
As mucg as I enjoy Blue Lock, I dont think the animation is that high level even for a sports anime. Its decent, and it does its job well. Not good, but not bad!!

Although I didnt enjoy watching Haikyuu, I do think it has better animation than Blue Lock.

Art is subjective. What you think looks beautiful, may not be beautiful for everybody else.
Dec 5, 2022 6:19 AM

Sep 2013
DexterDrubo said:
Torrible said:

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1sd4y147TE/

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1PK411975b/

Sorry I can't take that disney style animation seriously. And bro why tf do you want to make animation to look like live action? What's the point of animation then?

Because I'll enjoy it more if it looks like actual athletes are performing those moves? For example, look at 2:14 of the first video onwards. Compare that to Akashi zone, Bachira flow or whatever Haikyuu moves. No matter how well animated those scenes are, they not going to compare with motion capture of an actual athlete. it's not just about fluidity. There are all the subtle motions and mannerisms that 2D animation cannot depict well.

Also, 2D animation for most sports anime (apart from Haikyuu) only tend to look good during those Sakuga moments, but outside those moments, animation look noticeably worse or even bad. With CG animation, the animation can be consistent throughout, which is what I prefer.

The problem with a lot of 3D animation right now is that there is no motion capture. When everything is animated using software, of course it looks infinitely worse than 2D Sakuga animation.

Edit: Rotoscoping is another alternative. I believe that is actually done for some of the shooting animation in KnB. But again, that's going to be more expensive and time-consuming than simply using motion capture.

TorribleDec 5, 2022 6:43 AM
Dec 5, 2022 6:20 AM
Feb 2020
i think it's not about animation, it's about artstyle, it works perfectly for blue lock. animation in this show is decent, but nothing special, haikyuu animation (1-3 seasons) is much superior tbh
Dec 5, 2022 6:23 AM

Sep 2013
lFrogs said:

There are 2 reasons why Haikyuu is so well animated.

1) Budget (I've not seen any sports anime that comes close to that consistency in animation quality). Needless to say, this is not going to be the norm now or in future.

2) Volleyball is a sport that lends itself very well to animation. Unlike other sports that have hundreds or thousands of variations in movements, all the different forms of spiking, serving and blocking are not going to be dramatically different from one another which means a lot of animation frames can be reused or simply traced over.
Dec 5, 2022 7:00 AM
May 2022
nah the animation is mid af,i liked the manga better
Dec 5, 2022 7:33 AM
Aug 2019
I don’t. This is a sports show for people who don’t play or understand sports.

Write something that’s more representative please. The shows can be a bit absurd and nonsensical here and there, but not everywhere.

Maybe also focus on characters a bit more. You can have a coming of age drama with characters that play sports. That would be great!

Maybe the MC has to deal with conflicting interests (academics, friends, a girlfriend or boyfriend, and family). Maybe their family pushes them to focus more on academics. Maybe they compare themselves to other characters going through the same struggles and how they react to them. Maybe their improvement as a player is stagnating. Maybe it could explore the process of scouting and what the player needs to do to win the attention of scouts. There are a lot of options available here to make an extremely compelling soccer anime. And that is not what we got here.

This is a mildly entertaining Shonen show with no fantasy flair and nonsensical sports flair as a substitute. It’s whatever.
Dec 6, 2022 11:44 AM
Dec 2021
gromzadira said:
i think it's not about animation, it's about artstyle, it works perfectly for blue lock. animation in this show is decent, but nothing special, haikyuu animation (1-3 seasons) is much superior tbh

fax I love the art style of this show so much
Dec 9, 2022 1:34 AM
Mind Evaporator

Feb 2017
Blue Lock is so good I love it. By far the most exciting soccer anime I’ve seen, partly due to its animation and music.
Dec 9, 2022 2:54 AM

Dec 2008
anime_on_demand said:
Blue Lock is so good I love it. By far the most exciting soccer anime I’ve seen, partly due to its animation and music.

I love this show's OST and sound direction, they're so effective.
Dec 12, 2022 10:06 AM

Aug 2012
I hope they use this good animation on a better story next time.
I really dont like Blue Locks story and characters.
Dec 15, 2022 7:26 PM
Feb 2020
Torrible said:
lFrogs said:

1) Budget (I've not seen any sports anime that comes close to that consistency in animation quality). Needless to say, this is not going to be the norm now or in future.

2) Volleyball is a sport that lends itself very well to animation. Unlike other sports that have hundreds or thousands of variations in movements, all the different forms of spiking, serving and blocking are not going to be dramatically different from one another which means a lot of animation frames can be reused or simply traced over.

1) What's your source for Haikyuu having bigger budget? The vast majority of time people say this it's bullshit.

2) If volleyball is a sports that's so easy to animate, why is blue lock the one constantly using the same 3D models with the same running animation?

Seems to me it's much more likely they rushed the production so it could be out for the world cup.
Dec 16, 2022 12:26 AM

Sep 2013
NobleWasTaken said:
Torrible said:

1) What's your source for Haikyuu having bigger budget? The vast majority of time people say this it's bullshit.

2) If volleyball is a sports that's so easy to animate, why is blue lock the one constantly using the same 3D models with the same running animation?

Seems to me it's much more likely they rushed the production so it could be out for the world cup.

1) Better animation = more keyframes, more details = more work = bigger team (outsourced or in-house) and/or longer time frame = more budget needed. Even if the studio's animators are so amazing that they can achieve better animation than their competitors with a smaller team and in a smaller time-frame, it makes no sense to negotiate for less money. In fact, if the animation team is so skilled, they should negotiate for more money.

2) If they reuse the same volleyball serving animation over and over, viewers are not going to complain because in real life, volleyball players use a narrow and optimal range of serving motions. It's the same when it comes to taking free kicks or corner kicks in soccer. It's not so jarring when animation is reused for these dead ball situations. But motions like dribbling is highly dependent on the situation and position of other players on the pitch. And there are dozens upon dozens of different kinds of dribbling skills in soccer: elastico, sombrero, the Ronaldo chop, etc. Likewise, defending in soccer can have vastly different forms compared to blocking in volleyball because there is much more variation (standing tackle, sliding tackle from the front, sliding tackle from behind, scorpion kick clearance, bicycle kick clearance, headed clearance, and blocking a shot with various parts of the body, etc). Of course, there's nothing to stop Blue Lock from reusing dribbling or running animation, but it's going to look bad on them, whereas reusing animation for volleyball is more acceptable. That was my point.
TorribleDec 16, 2022 1:01 AM
Dec 16, 2022 2:32 AM
Jul 2018
ghier said:

Write something that’s more representative please. The shows can be a bit absurd and nonsensical here and there, but not everywhere.

Maybe also focus on characters a bit more. You can have a coming of age drama with characters that play sports. That would be great!

Maybe the MC has to deal with conflicting interests (academics, friends, a girlfriend or boyfriend, and family). Maybe their family pushes them to focus more on academics. Maybe they compare themselves to other characters going through the same struggles and how they react to them. Maybe their improvement as a player is stagnating. Maybe it could explore the process of scouting and what the player needs to do to win the attention of scouts. There are a lot of options available here to make an extremely compelling soccer anime. And that is not what we got here.

This is a mildly entertaining Shonen show with no fantasy flair and nonsensical sports flair as a substitute. It’s whatever.

if u haven't watched,you can try ao ashi.It is almost close to how real life football depicting the harsh yet beautiful life football players.
Dec 16, 2022 5:59 AM
Jan 2017
Torrible said:
NobleWasTaken said:

1) Better animation = more keyframes, more details = more work = bigger team (outsourced or in-house) and/or longer time frame = more budget needed. Even if the studio's animators are so amazing that they can achieve better animation than their competitors with a smaller team and in a smaller time-frame, it makes no sense to negotiate for less money. In fact, if the animation team is so skilled, they should negotiate for more money.

2) If they reuse the same volleyball serving animation over and over, viewers are not going to complain because in real life, volleyball players use a narrow and optimal range of serving motions. It's the same when it comes to taking free kicks or corner kicks in soccer. It's not so jarring when animation is reused for these dead ball situations. But motions like dribbling is highly dependent on the situation and position of other players on the pitch. And there are dozens upon dozens of different kinds of dribbling skills in soccer: elastico, sombrero, the Ronaldo chop, etc. Likewise, defending in soccer can have vastly different forms compared to blocking in volleyball because there is much more variation (standing tackle, sliding tackle from the front, sliding tackle from behind, scorpion kick clearance, bicycle kick clearance, headed clearance, and blocking a shot with various parts of the body, etc). Of course, there's nothing to stop Blue Lock from reusing dribbling or running animation, but it's going to look bad on them, whereas reusing animation for volleyball is more acceptable. That was my point.

If you ACTUALLY think that better animation invariably means a higher budget, not only are you absolutely clueless about how the industry works but you are also being hugely disrespectful to the overworked and underpaid animators by spreading misinformation about them intentionally or not.

There's a great piece by KVin from SakugaBlog regarding Haikyu's exceptional production and I'd recommend reading it if you really want to know what goes on BTS instead of throwing made up facts here and there on the internet.
Dec 16, 2022 6:35 AM

Sep 2013
XCF_Konzarn said:
Torrible said:

If you ACTUALLY think that better animation invariably means a higher budget, not only are you absolutely clueless about how the industry works but you are also being hugely disrespectful to the overworked and underpaid animators by spreading misinformation about them intentionally or not.

There's a great piece by KVin from SakugaBlog regarding Haikyu's exceptional production and I'd recommend reading it if you really want to know what goes on BTS instead of throwing made up facts here and there on the internet.

Yes, I actually think better animation means a higher budget, not invariably, but in general. Animators are underpaid, but an exploited animator who works 200 hours get paid more than an exploited animator who works 100 hours. When the final product is better, it usually means more work, more out-sourcing to other studios and those studios are not going to charge less just because they are underpaying their own workers. Of course, it's not always the case. Some studios exploit their workers more than others. Some animators may choose to work overtime for free out of pride (OPM comes to mind). But in general, higher quality animation costs more to make.

If you think Haikyuu was operating under the same budget as Ahiru no Sora and Ao Ashi, regardless of the production shortcuts used or otherwise, you are out of your mind. KNB is under production IG as well, but if you compare Haikyuu S1 and KnB S1, there's no way their budgets are comparable. Like seriously, Haikyuu's off-court moments are better animated than most of KnB S1's midseason basketball action.

Anyway, I saw the article. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2020/02/04/the-evolution-of-haikyuus-exceptional-production-refining-reality/

The role of elements like stock footage can’t be understated here. There are tons of sequences in Haikyuu that aren’t so much recycled as deliberately animated with multiple uses in mind.

This actually proves my second point. This can be more easily done for volleyball than other sports like soccer and basketball. If such animation shortcuts are also effective for non-volleyball anime, other studios would try to replicate it and such methods would eventually become a new norm. We'd be seeing more movie-level animation operating under modest budgets. It's not like what they did was top secret stuff.

Lastly, I don't know why you are bringing underpaid animators into this conversation. Because from the article, the production team is able to achieve such animation through cleverness and animation reuse rather than exploitation of animators.
TorribleDec 16, 2022 8:48 AM
Dec 17, 2022 1:48 PM
Oct 2014
Torrible said:
lFrogs said:

-This budget thing need to die out, no One punch man had not more budget than blue lock, every anime has more or less the same budget especially big production
Dec 17, 2022 1:52 PM
Oct 2022
Torrible said:

-snip-
-snip-

Edit: Videos above have been taken down. They are from the movie: The First Slam Dunk (2022). Here's another one before it gets taken down too: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1wW4y1g7S8

Lol, their cg is what makes it janky, every single shot that suddenly cuts to a mid range camera where they turn into blocky cg form was garbage
Dec 17, 2022 1:53 PM
Oct 2022
ghier said:

>gaps every other sport manga in the same era as it in sales

Sorry bro your boring overdone drama is mid
Dec 17, 2022 2:45 PM
Aug 2019
Lol, you haven’t seen it tho.

How much you wanna bet most watchers won’t care about this show a year from now?

*Apparently I don’t understand that I need to touch the quote button smh*
Dec 17, 2022 2:47 PM
Aug 2019
Syzler said:
ghier said:

How much you wanna bet most watchers won’t care about this show a year from now?

And honestly, most sports manga aren’t all that popular anyway. Being the best among those released at the same time is not as incredible as you make it out to be.
ghierDec 17, 2022 2:50 PM
Dec 17, 2022 3:25 PM
Apr 2015
ghier said:

That's all been in the context of sports anime and partially been done in Captain Tsubasa as well. People don't get that sports anime can be realistic just like the can use the post as part of a concept for a battle shonen with constant tournament arcs, which is what Blue Lock or Kuroko no Basket are, while Haikyuu is more on the realistic side, especially after time skip.
Dec 17, 2022 5:09 PM
Apr 2020
lFrogs said:

animation wise kuroko no basket was leagues above haikyuu.
Dec 17, 2022 7:19 PM
Jan 2019
What? I mean its fine but like it's not the pinnacle.
Dec 26, 2022 5:49 PM
Aug 2019
ghier said:
Syzler said:

And honestly, most sports manga aren’t all that popular anyway. Being the best among those released at the same time is not as incredible as you make it out to be.

@Syzler I take back what I said. I watched through it a bit more and it is hype.

I’m still upset that they ruin it a bit with too much dialogue in the matches. But it’s actually a bit better with the technical stuff to the point where it’s more acceptable even if not realistic a lot of the time.

And the adaptation nails it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blue Lock Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 11, 2023

190 by EspionageArcs »»
Yesterday, 4:01 PM

Poll: » Blue Lock Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2023

177 by Mmb23 »»
Sep 15, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Blue Lock Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Mar 25, 2023

362 by 37charles »»
Sep 15, 9:39 AM

Poll: » Blue Lock Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2023

141 by ProGoddess »»
Sep 9, 9:28 AM

Poll: » Blue Lock Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Tatsunami - Jan 21, 2023

174 by ProGoddess »»
Sep 9, 7:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.