Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 20, 2022 3:28 PM
Dec 2021
I've heard a lot about fate series but I am more interested in stay night ubw than fate zero and considering that fate zero has 25 episodes I don't want to watch zero just so that I can watch UBW, so can you tell me if I can watch this before zero, and please don't give me that you should watch zero cuz it is better or some shit I'm just asking a simple question can I understand UBW without watching zero or not.

And then if I like fate stay night I might watch zero later.
Nov 20, 2022 3:33 PM
Oct 2020
Yeah the best order is UBW -> HF -> Zero
Nov 20, 2022 3:36 PM
Dec 2020
nagars said:
I've heard a lot about fate series but I am more interested in stay night ubw than fate zero and considering that fate zero has 25 episodes I don't want to watch zero just so that I can watch UBW, so can you tell me if I can watch this before zero, and please don't give me that you should watch zero cuz it is better or some shit I'm just asking a simple question can I understand UBW without watching zero or not.

You can watch UBW without watching Zero. There will be just some references that you might not understand but nothing substantial. After all, the original Fate/Stay Night was made into an anime without Fate Zero being adapted yet.
Nov 20, 2022 3:36 PM
Oct 2020
KingAssWhooper said:

This right here is the recommended order
Nov 20, 2022 3:38 PM
Apr 2021
That's how you're supposed to watch it.
1. UBW
2. HF movies
3. Fate Zero
Watching Fate Zero first spoils a lot of stuff
Nov 20, 2022 3:40 PM
Jun 2020
nagars said:

I mean you can, but I don't think Unlimited Blade Works is the best place to start... it's suposed to be the second route, so I would recommend to start with Fate/stay night (2006), it's not as good as UBW, but it's the only adaptation of the first timeline... I highly encourage you to start with that one, it will enhance your enjoyment and understanding of Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel, the second and third timelines...
Nov 20, 2022 3:40 PM
Jun 2021
You can skip zero if you want, You can understand UBW. Zero is the first holy grail war
Nov 20, 2022 3:41 PM
Jun 2020
RedNero said:
You can skip zero if you want, You can understand UBW. Zero is the first holy grail war

No, Zero is the 4th Holy Grail War...
Nov 20, 2022 3:42 PM
Jun 2021
Sidelink said:
RedNero said:

No, Zero is the 4th Holy Grail War...

I more meant between Zero and UBW
Nov 20, 2022 3:42 PM
Feb 2022
You can watch it in any order you want, but watching fate zero first will help you understand the story and the characters better and also it’s chronologically the correct way of watching it (this doesn’t really matter that much tho), since ubw takes place 10 years after fate zero.
Nov 20, 2022 3:51 PM
Jan 2021
ubw hf zero. i did zero ubw hf tho and i didn’t necessarily regret it. you should probably do ubw hf zero tho
Nov 20, 2022 4:17 PM
Dec 2019
nagars said:

I watched fate stay night, then UBW, and i havent watched zero yet but imma watch hevaens feel here in a minute
Nov 20, 2022 4:24 PM

Aug 2020
daxs4 said:
You can watch it in any order you want, but watching fate zero first will help you understand the story and the characters better and also it’s chronologically the correct way of watching it (this doesn’t really matter that much tho), since ubw takes place 10 years after fate zero.

Please don't spread this misinformation
Nov 20, 2022 4:40 PM
Feb 2022
daxs4Nov 21, 2022 12:21 AM
Nov 20, 2022 4:48 PM
Aug 2017
The true beginning of the story is only in the novel. And since it was poorly adapted (F/SN 2006) i would say you're okay watching in however order you feel like it.
Nov 20, 2022 4:56 PM

Jun 2019
Yes, ideally, one would watch Unlimited Blade Works before Fate/Zero, as it gives more context into the world, lore, and characters of the series. Unfortunately, it isn't the best introduction to Fate as a series, as it assumes you have watched Fate 2006 or read the Fate route in the visual novel. This issue could easily be fixed if Ufotable were to give Saber's route a readaptation which isn't low quality and would serve as the most apt starting point to delve into the franchise.
Nov 20, 2022 5:18 PM
May 2022
nagars said:

Some people prefer it that way and I also did it that way it’s way less confusing and zero spoils a lot of things
Nov 20, 2022 5:32 PM
Jan 2021
yes, and you SHOULD (especially if youre not going to watch fate stay/night 2006)
Nov 20, 2022 5:32 PM
Aug 2021
At the first time that I wanted to enter in fate series I wanted to start with fate zero but I wasn't understanding anything, then I had to start watching the first route (2006 series) and I enjoyed it a lot, but I still have pending watch fate zero.
Nov 20, 2022 5:36 PM
Jun 2021
ubw is also around 25 eps. there are 2 seasons
Nov 20, 2022 6:12 PM

Apr 2021
Sidelink said:
nagars said:

I mean you can, but I don't think Unlimited Blade Works is the best place to start... it's suposed to be the second route, so I would recommend to start with Fate/stay night (2006), it's not as good as UBW, but it's the only adaptation of the first timeline... I highly encourage you to start with that one, it will enhance your enjoyment and understanding of Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel, the second and third timelines...

It's also a bad adaptation of the first timeline, so maybe OP is better off not watching it unless they're a completionist and/or they don't want to read the Visual Novel.
We'Ve StEpPeD iNtO a WaR wItH tHe CaBaL oN mArS
Nov 20, 2022 6:17 PM
Jun 2021
it's recommended as zero is the prequel to Stay Night not the other way around
Nov 20, 2022 6:34 PM
Oct 2021
Canonically, it was Fate/Zero => Fate/Stay Night - UBW

Fate/Heavens Feel is Fate/Stay Nighy- Unlimited Blade Work but in different timeline.

I personally recommend watch F/Zero first then F/Stay Night, because it's more thorough and provide some explanation. But if you want to skip it, it's okay, overall every series in Fate Universe pretty much stand alone, even though there's connection but nothing substansial.
Nov 20, 2022 6:57 PM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
Yes you can, Zero is mean to be watched later after you've finished UBW and HF.
Nov 20, 2022 7:14 PM
Jun 2016
Zero was written as a prequel so you are meant to experience UBW first. I personally recommend UBW, Zero, then Heaven’s Feel, but as long as you start with either UBW or Zero you’ll be good. Both require no prior knowledge while HF assumes you’ve at least seen UBW
Nov 20, 2022 7:20 PM
Nov 2021
nagars said:

A lot of people are saying Ubw first but personally I think you should watch zero first explains as the entire concept behind every branch of the show, not just ubw and hf. Ik a lot of the other branches get a bad rap, but if you ever decide to watch them after ubw and hf, it would help. Also it’s the precursor to ubw and the references made from zero help you understand the greater picture of that storyline (zero - ubw directly connects)
Nov 20, 2022 7:23 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I made the mistake(?) of watching fate zero before unlimited bladeworks, simply because that seemed to be the recommendation at the time since I was looking to get into the fate series via chronological order, in hopes of maybe being able to understand it as best as possible.

Now I enjoyed it, but probably would've enjoyed it more if I started with unlimited bladeworks first. Ubw is just easier to get into imo and is more welcoming to a newcomer to the series. Fate Zero seems to be a better watch if you have some understanding of the world, because it seems that fate zero fleshes out unlimited bladeworks and the rest of the story, and not vice versa. I'm no expert in the fate series but that's just how I feel.

As for the heaven's feel movies, again I'm no expert, but I watched those last since 1: it came out last, and 2: it has the best animation yet, so it's kind of like saving it last for a treat, for dessert. All 3 movies are exceptional in the visuals department, but the 3rd one especially, Spring Song, wow'ed me just as much as episode 10 of demon slayer S2. I didn't understand the ending at all, but it's still totally worth it watching it just for the sake of pure sakuga.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 20, 2022 7:45 PM

Jan 2021
yeah you can start with ubw
do hf next and then zero
all 3 stay night anime are bad adaptations anyway
Read the visual novel nerd
Nov 20, 2022 7:59 PM
Jul 2022
I watched it by the dates they came out going fate zero, UBW, then HF movies back when Zero and UBW were on Netflix. I probably didn't even realize a bunch of stuff got spoiled but still enjoyed it. If I ever decide to rewatch it I'll go UBW -> HF -> Zero.
Nov 20, 2022 8:07 PM
Apr 2009
Actually any order is good if you watch HF after UBW.
UBW->hf->zero
UBW>zero->hf
Zero->UBW-> hf
Nov 20, 2022 8:54 PM
Aug 2021
Zero is the one most worth watching. Order of overrated.
Nov 20, 2022 10:18 PM
Aug 2021
you can, you may be a bit confused about some stuff, but that literally is unavoidable no matter what
Nov 20, 2022 10:30 PM
Oct 2020
nagars said:

Yeah UBW is intended to be watched before Zero, zero came out after UBW as a prequel. So even though it’s chronologically before you should start w UBW or stay night, both are proper introduction to what the holy grail war is and introduces you to characters and families that are more fleshed out and given more lore in fate zero. Fate zero doesn’t explain the mechanics of the holy grail war as explicitly as UBW or stay night, but it’s a lot more “deep” and philosophical, it really changes how you view characters in UBW ( like Kirie, Saber, Shiro, illyasviel, etc) and events that take place in UBW. Your perspective on UBW will change after Zero, if you watch Zero first you’ll kind of skew your perception of certain characters and their actions in UBW.

Edit: the first 3 routes are stay night, UBW, then heavens feel. You don’t *need* to watch all 3, i wouldn’t recommend stay night at all tbh. Heavens feel is great, much darker and fleshes out Sakura’s character a lot. But as long as you watch one of those 3 it’s worth watching Zero after.
rs678Nov 20, 2022 10:36 PM
Nov 20, 2022 10:38 PM

Jan 2017
daxs4 said:

Because Zero is a Prequel.
Everything you listed is slowly revealed through the 3 Routes of Stay Night , as it's originally a slow-burn mystery story.
Zero then used all of those pieces and filled the blanks to get a new full bonus story for the fans of the original.
So you just spoiled all of that.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Nov 20, 2022 10:53 PM

Aug 2017
Yeah you definitely could.

I watched both seasons of UBW before Zero and it didn't affect my experience at all.

It's recommended to watch Zero first because it's a pre-quel and sets the tone for the rest of the series. But it's fine if you don't.

However, if you watch UBW first, you will miss out on the context of some characters and the world building from Zero.
You will get spoiled about Shirou Emiya's childhood past as a result of the fourth Fuyuki holy grail war.

Nov 20, 2022 11:01 PM

Mar 2020
Yes. Starting with UBW still isn't my recommended watch order, but its better than Zero. Ideally you should read the vn and if you don't have the time, watch Fate/Stay Night, UBW then Heavens Feel.

Nov 20, 2022 11:04 PM

Mar 2020
daxs4 said:
Fate zero explains the mechanics and the rules of the war in the first episode, also it shows us a lot of saber’s past and kiritsugu’s ideology which helps you understand both saber and shirou in ubw much better. It also shows us the motives behind kirei and gilgamesh’s actions and their personalities. I don’t see why this would be a misinformation.

No, literally everything you've mentioned us a spoiler. From the fact that

Nov 21, 2022 3:43 AM
May 2021
All the people are saying that F/Z spoils F/UBW tho I personally didn't notice anything being spoiled, but I did make a pause of a mount or so between F/Z and F/UBW so it might be just me. All in all, there is just not a single reason to skip F/Z as it's better than F/UBW and is supposed to be watched F/UBW so there you go. After that you can watch Heaven's Feel but you don't have to. After all that I recomend Fate/Extra Last Encore and Apocrypha.
Nov 21, 2022 5:15 AM

Jan 2021
Taguri said:
All the people are saying that F/Z spoils F/UBW tho I personally didn't notice anything being spoiled, but I did make a pause of a mount or so between F/Z and F/UBW so it might be just me. All in all, there is just not a single reason to skip F/Z as it's better than F/UBW and is supposed to be watched F/UBW so there you go. After that you can watch Heaven's Feel but you don't have to. After all that I recomend Fate/Extra Last Encore and Apocrypha.

its not that it spoils ubw, its that it spoils hf
and you cant start with hf because its the last route
so thats why its better to do ubw hf then zero
Read the visual novel nerd
Nov 21, 2022 5:32 AM
Sep 2021
Honestly you can choose whatever order you want , it’s up to you but i my opinion it’s between to watch fate zero since it’s a prequel. Fate zero is the events of the 4th holy grail war while fate/stay night is the events of the 5th grail war. On top of that some characters from zero don’t appear in fate/stay night but may be mentioned
Nov 21, 2022 5:39 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Sure you can, don't worry, your life your choice ;)

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Nov 21, 2022 5:44 AM

Jun 2016
Naroomaki said:
It's recommended to watch Zero first because it's a pre-quel and sets the tone for the rest of the series.

Prequels are meant to be watched after the main series/films though.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Nov 21, 2022 9:36 AM
Feb 2018
KingAssWhooper said:

I think ubw zero and hf is a better order Imagine having the actual end of the original fate and then watchin zero that's not good way of watching...
Nov 21, 2022 12:05 PM
Oct 2021
UBW -> HF -> Fate Zero is the correct watch order. If they ever faithfully adapt the fate route (Fate 2006 shouldn’t even be watched) it will be the new starting point. Source: Visual Novel Reader
Nov 21, 2022 3:26 PM

Mar 2021
forget what to watch before. Key thing is starting point. But realistically the only starting point is deen stay night.

If you watch zero first, every route is basically ruined and you don't have the basic context.
If you watch UBW first, the first half is good introduciton but the second half will lose all meaning since it is meant for you to be familiar with the fate route.
Nov 21, 2022 7:50 PM

Jul 2017
Yes that how it's supposed to be watched
Nov 24, 2022 9:54 AM
Sep 2020
The chronological order is Fate/zero to UBW but I’ve seen a lot of people say that you should watch UBW first so that should be fine

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2014

1042 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 13, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 18, 2014

856 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 13, 3:14 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2014

2751 by keynutil »»
Jan 29, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2014

903 by keynutil »»
Jan 29, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2014

1630 by SanessyAdversary »»
Jan 19, 12:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.