Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 6, 2022 6:13 AM

Nov 2020
[EDIT : This is a thought experiment. I know the answer is given on the Steins;Gate wiki, I just did this for fun.]

We have all seen this anime. The concept of worldlines is an intriguing one. But one question remains, how many worldlines are there in Steins;Gate's universe?

We have to first understand what separates one worldline from another. If we are talking about all physical phenomenon, then the answer would be an uncountably infinite number of them. Each particle can exist in a different quantum state. If we calculate all possible combinations, the result would be infinite. But that is pretty boring and I think the anime considers human actions and thoughts to be the decisive factors.

The simplest and no-brainer method would be to calculate how many measurements the divergence meter can make. Each measurement indicates a new possibility, thus a new worldline. Here is an image of a Divergence Meter in Steins;Gate.

The number of measurements an instrument can make can be calculated by dividing the range of the instrument by the least count of the instrument. I visited the wiki and it says it says the first digit can't be negative so the range must be 9.999999 - 0 = 9.999999. The least count (smallest measurement on an instrument) of this meter is 0.000001. So the number of universes the divergence meter can render is 9,999,999 or nearly 10 million worldlines. (There are still some worldlines for example the ones in the Omega Attractor field that have the first digit as negative so they can't be registered on the Divergence Meter. Still, it would be on the same order of magnitude as the number I calculated.)

But maybe the Divergence Meter is inaccurate. For example we can't measure the size an atom with a ruler. So if we are talking about the potential number of worldlines that exist, we have to go a lot deeper. As I said earlier, the anime considers human actions and conscious thoughts as the decisive factor, so lets see where that takes us. There is just one small problem: We don't know how little of an action results in a different worldline according to Stein's Gate. So here we will make a number of assumptions:-

(1) There are roughly 100 million individuals born on an average planet each year,
(2) They are all of similar intelligence,
(3) They all live for approximately 100 years,
(4) The universe is 250 times the size of the observable universe,
(5) The chances for life to develop on a habitable planet with water is 1 and the chances for the life to evolve into intelligent forms of life is 0.0002,
(6) The simplest thought is a word, which is 32 bits or 4 bytes of data.

Here's the monster math:-

The processing speed of the average brain is 60 bits per second. There are 100 years or 100*31,540,000 = 3,154,000,000 bits. This means that an average brain has roughly 3154000000/32 = 98,562,500 conscious thoughts in an entire lifetime. This number is way larger if we account for subconscious thoughts but lets leave it at that.

Now we have to calculate how many intelligent individuals there ever will be. The average rate of star formation in our galaxy is 3 stars per year. Star formation will end in 100 trillion years (10^14). So the total number of stars there will ever be is 3*100,000,000,000,000 = 3*10^14 stars. Also there are roughly 2 trillion galaxies in the observable universe. Using the assumption that the universe is 250 times the size of the observable universe, we have that total number of stars that will ever exist is 3*10^14*2,000,000,000*250 = 1.5*10^26 . So here is the formula below:-

(Number of intelligent individuals that will ever live) = (Number of stars that will ever exist) * (Number of planets around each star) * (Chances of them being habitable) * (Chances of them harboring life) * (Chances of them to evolve into intelligent lifeforms) * (Rate of birth of individuals on a planet) * (Average lifetime of a star)

Almost all stars have planets. Also, the Kepler space mission discovered that there could be up to 40 billion Earth-like habitable planets in our galaxy. Which means that chances that a star has a habitable planet is 40,000,000,000/200,000,000,000 = 0.2 . And since 90% of stars in the universe are red dwarfs, we will take the average life expectancy of a star to be 10 trillion years. So:-

(Number of intelligent individuals that will ever live) = (1.5*10^26)*(0.2)*(1)*(0.0002)*(100,000,000)*(10^12)

Number of intelligent individuals that will ever live = 6*10^41

And the total number of thoughts ever thought in the entire universe is = (Number of intelligent individuals that will ever live) * (Number of thoughts in a lifetime)

= (6*10^41)*(98,562,500) = ~ 6*10^49

And since each thought distinguishes a worldline, the total number of worldlines according to the premise is 6*10^49 or 60 quindecillion worldlines. There you go.
WutIsDisAug 6, 2022 9:08 AM
If you ever feel bored and are questioning the meaning of your existence, read deez blogs. Maybe you will find your answers.
Aug 6, 2022 6:22 AM

Jul 2015
It's potentielly infinite.
Basically the "time traveler moves the chair" meme and butterfly effect.
One, even the tiniest change will completely distort a timeline and create completely new one.

Aug 6, 2022 6:39 AM

Nov 2021
That’s a quite a research, I like that btw did you think by yourself to derive the formula of ‘No. of intelligence individuals’ and if you did Nice work man.👍
Aug 6, 2022 6:41 AM
Nov 2021
I mean all I can say is that’s nice to know
Aug 6, 2022 6:41 AM
Nov 2021
At least it’s not chainsaw man thank you my man
Aug 6, 2022 7:13 AM
Jun 2021
ok i’m not smart but isn’t thing with the divergence meter relying on there only being 6 decimals. theoretically couldn’t it expand much further than that but not shown? meaning many more world lines. anyway yeah i can see the answer is practically infinite pretty cool
Aug 6, 2022 7:18 AM

May 2021
For every atomic vibration spent in another time period,a new worldline will be created.
Aug 6, 2022 7:38 AM
Apr 2022
Hey, Vsauce!!! ........
Aug 6, 2022 7:39 AM
Apr 2022
Hey Vsauce!!! .......
Aug 6, 2022 8:12 AM

May 2016
The official answer is infinite according to the tips section of S;G0, even though it is boring:

"Worldline
This term refers to an infinite number of possible worlds. However, these worlds do not exist in parallel. Only one exists at a given time. Everything that occurs along a worldline, from the past to the future, has been predetermined. Thus, no matter how much you change the past along a single worldline, the result will converge to the same outcome."

I will come back with an updated answer when I will finish reading Anonymous;Code next summer.
-
Aug 6, 2022 9:26 AM

Nov 2020
nishant0 said:
That’s a quite a research, I like that btw did you think by yourself to derive the formula of ‘No. of intelligence individuals’ and if you did Nice work man.👍

Thanks man. Yeah, I derived the formula. Won't call it a formula though since it is basically simple math. I would say listing down the factors took some time.
If you ever feel bored and are questioning the meaning of your existence, read deez blogs. Maybe you will find your answers.
Aug 6, 2022 9:31 AM
Apr 2020
Cool post :) (15 character limit)
Aug 6, 2022 12:06 PM
Mar 2022
wow man you've got so much time on your hands.
Aug 6, 2022 4:34 PM
Aug 2020
KP_SENSEI said:
For every atomic vibration spent in another time period,a new worldline will be created.

actually that would be incorrect because every Atomic oscillation is a predetermined thing there is no choice there is no other option every vibration is repeated continuously automatic structure within a given World line operates at a certain frequency and it repeats that frequency and definitely so the atom does not have a choice in the vibration therefore an Atomic vibration cannot create an alternate timeline. this is because you must remember alternate reality is represent a difference a choice that had been made between one thing or another even in the loosest definition something that has no choice cannot create a new world mine
masterchiefandteAug 6, 2022 4:38 PM
Aug 6, 2022 7:50 PM

May 2021
masterchiefandte said:
KP_SENSEI said:

actually that would be incorrect because every Atomic oscillation is a predetermined thing there is no choice there is no other option every vibration is repeated continuously automatic structure within a given World line operates at a certain frequency and it repeats that frequency and definitely so the atom does not have a choice in the vibration therefore an Atomic vibration cannot create an alternate timeline. this is because you must remember alternate reality is represent a difference a choice that had been made between one thing or another even in the loosest definition something that has no choice cannot create a new world mine

Thanks to the schrodinger's proclamation,we pretty much know that every particle is in a superstate,until we actually see it,only then do there something transpires,butthat something couldnt be of pure chance,so it pretty natural to assume that every instance 2 possibilities happen,Creating a parallel universe,just as the OP said,but since we are talking about major events,then i guess my statement is pretty much right.
Aug 6, 2022 8:03 PM
Aug 2020
KP_SENSEI said:
masterchiefandte said:

Thanks to the schrodinger's proclamation,we pretty much know that every particle is in a superstate,until we actually see it,only then do there something transpires,butthat something couldnt be of pure chance,so it pretty natural to assume that every instance 2 possibilities happen,Creating a parallel universe,just as the OP said,but since we are talking about major events,then i guess my statement is pretty much right.

I think you're taking that a little too far. if I deal out of card from a deck of playing cards and I set it face down on the table without looking at it it's either black or red. whatever it is it is already Schrodinger wasn't necessarily talking about something actually being two things at once he was talking about the possibility of it being two different things you could be either one or the other and we don't know and the fact that we don't know makes it unreal until we actually flip that card over and look at it then it becomes real because we observed it we now know what it is but that does not actually change what it actually was all along.
Aug 6, 2022 8:10 PM

May 2021
masterchiefandte said:
KP_SENSEI said:

I think you're taking that a little too far. if I deal out of card from a deck of playing cards and I set it face down on the table without looking at it it's either black or red. whatever it is it is already Schrodinger wasn't necessarily talking about something actually being two things at once he was talking about the possibility of it being two different things you could be either one or the other and we don't know and the fact that we don't know makes it unreal until we actually flip that card over and look at it then it becomes real because we observed it we now know what it is but that does not actually change what it actually was all along.

Yeah,kinda,as many scientists have already said,"God doesnt play dice with the universe",there must be a pattern to all of this,and also,the concept of breaking the system with sight is pretty ephemeral,as well,the concept of alternate realities can low-key be justified here.Assuming it all aint based on chance,afterall,that is.

Ps:the only good analogy for this system are the wave amplitudes,cards and cats are pretty much IN the reality,whereas,the quantum world doesnt actually follow our regulations,also,yeah,the card remains the same,but its all the possibility of US choosing an other card to roll.
Aug 6, 2022 8:12 PM
Aug 2020
KP_SENSEI said:
masterchiefandte said:

Yeah,kinda,as many scientists have already said,"God doesnt play dice with the universe",there must be a pattern to all of this,and also,the concept of breaking the system with sight is pretty ephemeral,as well,the concept of alternate realities can low-key be justified here.Assuming it all aint based on chance,afterall,that is.

Ps:the only good analogy for this system are the wave amplitudes,cards and cats are pretty much IN the reality,whereas,the quantum world doesnt actually follow our regulations,also,yeah,the card remains the same,but its all the possibility of US choosing an other card to roll.

Schrodinger's Theory and it was just that a theory is based on an uncertainty principle you don't know the state of an item not that it is in multiple States it's that you do not know what state it is in
Aug 6, 2022 8:14 PM
Aug 2020
and yes even Quantum particles follow rules whether we understand them or not they're still there for all things that exist within the universe regardless of what world line it is still within the universe
Aug 7, 2022 1:15 AM
Feb 2021
bro your efforts and maths you used is insane
Aug 10, 2022 4:58 AM
Feb 2022
Who cares
and what's with the essay
Aug 10, 2022 5:02 AM

May 2020
Micheal strikes again!!!!

Great post you got there!!!
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - Apr 19, 2011

260 by OmBerry12_Bleach »»
Apr 24, 11:01 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

805 by Nemesis133 »»
Apr 24, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

saxophone15 - Apr 26, 2011

241 by GatchiShoppo »»
Apr 20, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Apr 17, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.