Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 30, 2022 11:55 AM
Dec 2007
anikevin said:
I watched the first episode of both shows and I was let down by both. However I'll give Lycoris another chance once it ends because you can see their budget was higher. OST, animation, VAs, everything was on a higher level. I just didn't like the story that much.
All Engage Kiss has is a cute main girl, that's all. Everything else is meh or bad.
You really gcant judge engage kiss on episode 1.1 and 2 were intential misdirects. Its actually more of a dramatic love triangle/tragedy then a cute waifu battle anime.

Its a shame the show keeps getting slammed cause of what they perceive it to be compared to what it actually is.
Jul 30, 2022 11:57 AM
Dec 2007
Azophi said:
Watched 1st episode of both, the impression i got from Lycoris is better than Engage kiss. While i'm not into Yuri myself but Lycoris managed to keep me focused to the show especially how lively Chisato is, i say the character is well written. Engage Kiss however, from 1st episode i can tell where the story is going with the triangle love and weak ML but strong FL. Date a live fans will surely love this though.

I personally dislike man-slut MC . The impression i got from the MC on this 1st episode is really bad, he is leeching off the FL while being a complete hypocrite. This type of man i hate the most TBH.

The visual for both is top-notch though, i will continue to watch Lycoris hoping there's no downhill on the road and I'll give another try for Engage kiss hoping it will grab my attention, but I will drop it if after 3 episode this anime fail to get me hooked.

Conclusion, i prefer Lycoris over Engage Kiss at least for now.
Yeah, you need to get to episode 3. Everything you said about Engage Kiss is wrong, the show mislead you into thinking that but episode 3 reveals the truth.
Aug 5, 2022 12:42 AM

Aug 2017
i agree but sadly this anime doesn't have good episode 1
Aug 5, 2022 7:05 AM

Apr 2012
Animillion said:
I prefer this to Lycoris Recoil. Then again, all-girl anime and yuri are on my sh*t list and unwatchable for me, so I’m extremely biased

At the moment it's no more yuri than Princess Principal. Female super friendship, but without trying to make it too serious.

Cevoy said:
Engage Kiss is literally just seasonal bait garbage. It's the Takt Op. Destiny of the 2022 Summmer season

Why are so many people salty because of Takt Op. Destiny still remember this show?
Aug 5, 2022 9:05 AM
Jul 2018
kriissyy12 said:
KP_SENSEI said:
Lol,Engage kiss is at the same level as the stepsis is my ex anime,Lycoris recoil is FAR better.

Stepsis is my ex is also better than Lycoris Recoil

Now I’m convinced this whole thread is a troll
Aug 5, 2022 10:00 AM
Mar 2021
mattnoce said:
kriissyy12 said:

Stepsis is my ex is also better than Lycoris Recoil

Not everyone can enjoy an Anime by just simping for the characters. The story in LR is absolute dog shite.
Aug 5, 2022 10:01 AM
Jul 2018
kriissyy12 said:
mattnoce said:

Not everyone can enjoy an Anime by just simping for the characters. The story in LR is absolute dog shite.
never said it was good. But saying stepsis is my ex is better should get you put in prison
Aug 5, 2022 10:03 AM
Mar 2021
mattnoce said:
kriissyy12 said:

never said it was good. But saying stepsis is my ex is better should get you put in prison

Well I'm saying Engage Kiss is better than both of them, so I don't really care about your opinion on that show.
Aug 6, 2022 10:06 AM

Feb 2019
ONG TALK KING. Lycoreco carried by sakuga
Aug 6, 2022 3:06 PM
Oct 2016
both have shallow characters without a good narrative, the most they have are "cool" battles, but at least I find Kisara and her unhealthy relationship a bit interesting, while Lycoris tries to sell me the two girls friendship or whatever but I don't care about them and I care even less about their plot whose antagonists still seem filler 😕
Aug 6, 2022 7:31 PM

Mar 2021
I feel engage kiss has more levels of world building that is harder to digest vs lycoris that tends to be a bit more of style.
Aug 6, 2022 10:32 PM
#borntoboil

Jan 2021
don't even have to see it to realize that his is Takt. Op Destiny Jr, this one will die when it stops airing
is it really worf to put things in here like nobody reads these

discord ~ ganjimex

Aug 8, 2022 5:01 PM

Jul 2016
as someone who watched both shows, Id say Engage Kiss is infinitely better than overrated Recoil!

I wouldn't even give overrated Recoil more than a 6 out of 10 at max if I'm going to be nice, and the people who think its great did nothing to change my mind about it as they don't even have any real argument besides saying its an anime about high school girls with guns as if that was anything original (all you need to do is look at the recommended list to see more like it.)

all the episodes I watched of Overrated Recoil bored me

No real plot, boring characters, and no compelling villains

it depends fully on the 2 main girls to even carry the show, after a while people won't even remember it
Aug 8, 2022 6:30 PM
Jul 2020
Nah bro A-1 best anime original is anohana.
Aug 8, 2022 6:35 PM
Mar 2021
Marie___ said:

You're about 10 years too late on that one bud.
Aug 8, 2022 6:42 PM
Jul 2020
kriissyy12 said:
Marie___ said:

You're about 10 years too late on that one bud.

Yes i know, i just want to say that A-1 two original anime this season are still far from anohana,but for me i still like both lycoris and engage kiss
Aug 9, 2022 9:26 AM

Sep 2018
I was all in on LR at the start but that one has stumbled in my eyes whereas this one is getting more intriguing with each passing episode.

So at the moment I have them neck and neck but I now think EK has greater potential.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Aug 14, 2022 11:59 AM

Oct 2014
-MC is not a loser
-He is not embarrassed to kiss a girl
-Is adult and smokes

Only for the diferent MC than usual I think this anime is highly underrated

Lycoris Recoil is good too
Aug 15, 2022 5:42 AM

Sep 2018
Raptors0verlord said:
as someone who watched both shows, Id say Engage Kiss is infinitely better than overrated Recoil!

I wouldn't even give overrated Recoil more than a 6 out of 10 at max if I'm going to be nice, and the people who think its great did nothing to change my mind about it as they don't even have any real argument besides saying its an anime about high school girls with guns as if that was anything original (all you need to do is look at the recommended list to see more like it.)

all the episodes I watched of Overrated Recoil bored me

No real plot, boring characters, and no compelling villains

it depends fully on the 2 main girls to even carry the show, after a while people won't even remember it

LR seems more and more about escaping your predefined destiny and choosing your own path.

However, the machinations currently at play, and especially "Cartoon villain no.1" are dragging it down

LR is cute and I liked it more at the start.

EK went out of its way to make the MC unrelatable at the start, but the more we learn the more engaging he gets.

Aug 16, 2022 2:48 AM
Jun 2019
this show is trash bruh better lycoris Recoil,this anime is crowded because been talked about a lot of the sex scenes and sexual things and kinda boring for the plot and the mc
Aug 16, 2022 3:08 AM
Aug 2017
Taste is subjective, but I am with you on this. I prefer a tragic love triangle story than two cute girls doing cute things. They are both great anime originals, but Engage Kiss is my pick for my favourite anime of the season.

Also for an anime that sounds generic and has a ton fanservice, the plot of Engage Kiss is actually deceptively mature and dark in nature (As expected of Fumiaki Maruto). Since the average animé viewer are young teens, I can see why Lycorsis Recoil is more popular to the overall community.

It's like walking into an elementary school and asking the kids there, which movie do you prefer, Dark Knight or Avengers, and you see almost all hands are raised on the latter.
DragonTheOneAug 16, 2022 3:18 AM
Aug 16, 2022 10:45 AM
Mar 2021
Reiner_vulcan99 said:
this show is trash bruh better lycoris Recoil,this anime is crowded because been talked about a lot of the sex scenes and sexual things and kinda boring for the plot and the mc

This comment feels like it was written by a 2 year old. You think a show that doesn't focus of shooty shooty bang bang scenes is boring lmfao.
Aug 18, 2022 4:11 PM
Aug 2022
For me, this is my favorite one this summer, maybe this year.
Aug 20, 2022 6:04 AM
Jul 2022
Ionliosite2 said:
Azophi said:
Date a live fans will surely love this though.

What? Why? This and DAL are basically nothing alike lol.

This basically the same rom-com trope as DAL, but IMO DAL (though still not my cup of tea) is still better and has more harem.

I was convinced after watching the 3rd episode, this shows MC is just a garbage and very unlikable. A manwhore who leeching off any girl he sleep with. This is instant drop for me. Somehow a garbage like Kazuma will look like a saint compared to this shows MC.
Aug 20, 2022 6:22 AM

Jan 2021
Azophi said:
Ionliosite2 said:

What? Why? This and DAL are basically nothing alike lol.

This basically the same rom-com trope as DAL, but IMO DAL (though still not my cup of tea) is still better and has more harem.

I was convinced after watching the 3rd episode, this shows MC is just a garbage and very unlikable. A manwhore who leeching off any girl he sleep with. This is instant drop for me. Somehow a garbage like Kazuma will look like a saint compared to this shows MC.
lmao I thought you were talking about Kazuma from Konosuba for a second but then realised you were talking about the other one since you were talking about bad MC's...
Aug 28, 2022 5:54 AM

Sep 2018
Well, as of now I'm putting EK ahead of LR

Both had great episodes this week but EK has the edge in pathos, and the big bad reveal was a stellar twist.

Aug 31, 2022 1:02 AM

Dec 2016
Ah, I see. Yet another one shitpost thread created by some no-name.
Sep 11, 2022 9:54 AM
May 2021
EdgyLord666 said:
In terms of writing, they kinda on the same level, however I like yuri and Chisato is so likable, so nope, LycoReco ftw.

Lyco Reco isn't even confirmed to be yuri lmao...
Sep 11, 2022 9:57 AM
May 2021
KP_SENSEI said:
Lol,Engage kiss is at the same level as the stepsis is my ex anime,Lycoris recoil is FAR better.

Lycoris Recoil is overrated. The amount of plot conveniences, plot armor and just general "anime logic" they use in that show is so jarring. Engage Kiss at the very least doesn't rely on such contrivances.
Sep 11, 2022 9:58 AM
May 2021
Shamsy said:
This is bait clearly rofl...

??? What are you on about?
Sep 11, 2022 10:01 AM
May 2021
Cevoy said:
Engage Kiss is literally just seasonal bait garbage. It's the Takt Op. Destiny of the 2022 Summmer season

Lyco Reco isn't much better in that regard.
Sep 11, 2022 10:03 AM
May 2021
Jojomamabizarre1 said:
gamibo said:
Bruh what tf is this discussion..Both these anime are mid..Just watch some superior anime bruh or check my watchlist😉

To be honest, COTE is the only anime worth watching this season, and even with that, the adaptation is horrendous. Can’t believe that LERCHE are the same mfs who animated hanako-kun and AC.

This is a HORRENDOUS take. COTE the only anime worth watching this season??? Are you having a laugh? It's not even top 5 anime this season 😭
Sep 11, 2022 10:04 AM
May 2021
mattnoce said:
kriissyy12 said:

No? Have you even watched stepsis is my ex? Despite the wacky name and premise, it's actually pretty well written and consistent. Can't say the same for Lyco Reco.
Sep 11, 2022 11:13 AM

Sep 2018
SkyhighCFC said:
mattnoce said:

No? Have you even watched stepsis is my ex? Despite the wacky name and premise, it's actually pretty well written and consistent. Can't say the same for Lyco Reco.

Was it even worth responding to such an idiotic comment?

LR has ticked all the required boxes to get the community and the critics on board.

EK deliberately set out to make the main characters unlikeable, only slowly revealing the circumstances that got them where they are now.

I can see why the majority would favour Chisato and Takina's story arcs

But for me the messy triangle between Shuu, Ayano and Kisara is just way more entertaining to watch.

Sep 11, 2022 11:19 AM

Sep 2020
Nah both of them are subpar.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Sep 11, 2022 11:23 AM

Jan 2019
this has to be bait

Sep 11, 2022 11:24 AM
May 2021
borderliner said:
SkyhighCFC said:

Was it even worth responding to such an idiotic comment?

LR has ticked all the required boxes to get the community and the critics on board.

EK deliberately set out to make the main characters unlikeable, only slowly revealing the circumstances that got them where they are now.

I can see why the majority would favour Chisato and Takina's story arcs

But for me the messy triangle between Shuu, Ayano and Kisara is just way more entertaining to watch.

I fully agree with you. I still enjoy Lyco Reco a lot, but the plot conveniences/plot armor and the overuse of asinine "anime logic" turns me off at times.
Sep 18, 2022 2:34 AM
Aug 2018
i don't like mc's attitude in this anime, i know kisara's memory is eaten, but his indifferent attitude towards ayano/kisara irritates me, makes the relationship between the three of them so annoying to watch
Sep 18, 2022 9:20 AM

Jan 2013
Varete7 said:
-MC is not a loser
-He is not embarrassed to kiss a girl
-Is adult and smokes

Only for the diferent MC than usual I think this anime is highly underrated

Lycoris Recoil is good too

sounds like the main character is the exact opposite of the audience watching this show
Sep 18, 2022 9:26 AM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
Isn't Engage Kiss like the most formulaic anime since a long time now? It's filled with tropes to the brim and the writing itself is nothing you won't find in an anime 5 clicks away. It's enjoyable but nowhere near being anything noteworthy or outstanding. Lycoris Recoil also falls into that aspect but to a lesser extent + the cast of LR is more enjoyable since they're not revolving around unexplainable crushes on an overly generic mc.

@DragonTheOne I'm up to date with the latest episode and while it went different ways than the usual format, it implemented new ones and made the whole show lose any tension since it feels more like a battle royale on who'll end up with the mc instead of solving the issue at hand. Especially the newest episode felt like a joke when the reason for
MonkeeDanSep 18, 2022 1:22 PM

smoochie smoochie

Sep 18, 2022 12:54 PM
Aug 2017
MonkeeDan said:
Isn't Engage Kiss like the most formulaic anime since a long time now? It's filled with tropes to the brim and the writing itself is nothing you won't find in an anime 5 clicks away. It's enjoyable but nowhere near being anything noteworthy or outstanding. Lycoris Recoil also falls into that aspect but to a lesser extent + the cast of LR is more enjoyable since they're not revolving around unexplainable crushes on an overly generic mc.

I believed you have dropped Engage Kiss pretty early in the series to be saying that. Up until Episode 4, I can agree with you. Beyond that, Engage Kiss has set itself apart from the rest of anime in a good way.
Sep 18, 2022 1:03 PM
Sep 2016
Lycoris Recoil, without being anything extraordinary, is better than this shit.

EK is pretty generic, the characters lack charisma and the story itself is the same old shit we have seen in other animes. It's watchable, but average at best.

That said, LycoReco is also lucky of airing on this rather lacking anime season, as Winter will have quite a few really good shows airing.

Still, best anime of this season is probably Cyberpunk Edgerunners (I still haven't watched Made in Abyss though).
Sep 18, 2022 1:41 PM
Aug 2017
MonkeeDan said:

@DragonTheOne I'm up to date with the latest episode and while it went different ways than the usual format, it implemented new ones and made the whole show lose any tension since it feels more like a battle royale on who'll end up with the mc instead of solving the issue at hand. Especially the newest episode felt like a joke when the reason for

It's Kanna not Kisara but I get your point.

No, it does not feel like a battle-royale on who will end up with the MC at all. Episodes 8 to 11 has almost no romance, and the main focus of the plot shift towards showing how tragic Shu is.

[spoiler]From Shu being filled with hatred when he killed Miles, without realizing how Miles had saved him back as a child or that Miles was his foster father, and then having tears dripped down his eyes that he can't understand.

[spoiler]To Shu being so broken that he barely remembers his childhood friend Ayano, or his own reason for fighting, or his own family, and Kisara decides to call it quits and give back all his memories at the expense of losing what she treasures the most - her love and relationship with Shu. The backstories behind them, and how Kisara has been preserving all of the memories that she took from Shu by burning her own ones as fuel.

How the hell does any of this feel like a battle royale to winning the MC or a formulaic anime?
DragonTheOneSep 18, 2022 2:07 PM
Sep 18, 2022 2:07 PM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
DragonTheOne said:
MonkeeDan said:

No, it does not feel like a battle-royale on who will end up with the MC at all. Episodes 8 to 11 has almost no romance, and the main focus of the plot shift towards showing how tragic Shu is.

From Shu being filled with hatred when he killed Miles, without realizing how Miles had saved him back as a child or that Miles was his foster father, and then having tears dripped down his eyes that he can't understand.

To Shu being so broken that he barely remembers his childhood friend Ayano, or his own reason for fighting, or his own family, and Kisara decides to call it quits and give back all his memories at the expense of losing what she treasures the most - her love and relationship with Shu. The backstories behind them, and how Kisara has been preserving all of the memories that she took from Shu by burning her own ones as fuel.

How the hell does any of this feel like a battle royale to winning the MC or a formulaic anime?

I mean yea, if you look at the whole backstory as some original way of storytelling, then it's breaking out of the generic tropes and genres. That being said to me it doesn't. Episodes 8-11 were the bare minimum to give this show any sort of significance and to make it have any backing for its whole build-up that was shown in the previous episodes.

Fair point, Shu had a breakdown and Kisara - out of love, gave cancelled the contract and gave him his memories back. That doesn't change that since episode one there is the constant jealousy and fighting over Shu which gets even worse as soon as the nun appears. All the intentions from the female main characters are revolving around loving Shu to some extent. First few episodes? Fighting demons while centering around the love triangle. Episodes after introducing the nun? A mixed motive of fighting the demons and personal motives or in that case - being angry at Shu for using her while she (probably) loved him and her trying to get back at him now and get her revenge. Then we get the "tragic past" episodes which aren't anything outstanding but get the job done and after that we have his little sister whose motive so far is also assumed to be jealousy of the other girls that got to have intimate moments with her beloved oni-chan. Battle royale was maybe the wrong term but you get my point I think. I have a hard time caring about anything that is going on or feeling any threat when it all plays down to the girl causing a ruffus just being jealous or in love with the mc. I'm not saying that this makes the show unenjoyable, it's just less enjoyable than it could've been to me if they would've given different motives to each characters instead of emotional feelings for the same character who doesn't show us any reason that would make those feelings understandable. It's an alright show, just pretty by the book with lazy writing to me.

smoochie smoochie

Sep 18, 2022 2:13 PM
Aug 2017
MonkeeDan said:
DragonTheOne said:

From Shu being filled with hatred when he killed Miles, without realizing how Miles had saved him back as a child or that Miles was his foster father, and then having tears dripped down his eyes that he can't understand.

To Shu being so broken that he barely remembers his childhood friend Ayano, or his own reason for fighting, or his own family, and Kisara decides to call it quits and give back all his memories at the expense of losing what she treasures the most - her love and relationship with Shu. The backstories behind them, and how Kisara has been preserving all of the memories that she took from Shu by burning her own ones as fuel.

I mean yea, if you look at the whole backstory as some original way of storytelling, then it's breaking out of the generic tropes and genres. That being said to me it doesn't. Episodes 8-11 were the bare minimum to give this show any sort of significance and to make it have any backing for its whole build-up that was shown in the previous episodes.

Fair point, Shu had a breakdown and Kisara - out of love, gave cancelled the contract and gave him his memories back. That doesn't change that since episode one there is the constant jealousy and fighting over Shu which gets even worse as soon as the nun appears. All the intentions from the female main characters are revolving around loving Shu to some extent. First few episodes? Fighting demons while centering around the love triangle. Episodes after introducing the nun? A mixed motive of fighting the demons and personal motives or in that case - being angry at Shu for using her while she (probably) loved him and her trying to get back at him now and get her revenge. Then we get the "tragic past" episodes which aren't anything outstanding but get the job done and after that we have his little sister whose motive so far is also assumed to be jealousy of the other girls that got to have intimate moments with her beloved oni-chan. Battle royale was maybe the wrong term but you get my point I think. I have a hard time caring about anything that is going on or feeling any threat when it all plays down to the girl causing a ruffus just being jealous or in love with the mc. I'm not saying that this makes the show unenjoyable, it's just less enjoyable than it could've been to me if they would've given different motives to each characters instead of emotional feelings for the same character who doesn't show us any reason that would make those feelings understandable. It's an alright show, just pretty by the book with lazy writing to me.
MonkeeDan said:
DragonTheOne said:

Pardon me for making a few assumptions for the sake of getting my point across. If the execution of Shu's tragic past is not outstanding to you, it's probably because you were not able to empathize with the characters up till that point, and the real magic of the show is lost to you. The same can be said for any show involving romance, and even Lycoris Recoil. We each have our individual tastes and preference, so if the characters are not likable to you from the beginning that would likely have prevented you from making any emotional connection with them.

Fumiaki Maruto took a big gamble by purposefully creating an unlikable MC. That could pay off if the audience is still interested enough to understand his character, and his character growth can be more significant than a flawless MC. The drawback is that an unlikable MC is a turnoff to the average person who does not want to think too much when watching a show, and wants an easily likable character as MC.

Speaking of the earlier episodes, while it wasn't as plot-focused, they were entertaining enough, and the relationship dynamic between Shu and Kisara felt is far from being generic. How many animes even dare to show an MC being a manipulative POS that takes advantage of a girl's feelings for him to fight for his goals? The only other one that I can think of with a similar relationship dynamic is Misa and Light in Death Note.

In fact LR and EK are both similar in that the earlier episodes are not plot-focus and mainly focus on the relationship dynamic between the main duo. And in terms of generic relationship, Chisato and Takina relationship although executed brilliantly, definitely feels more generic.

I watched both LR and EK, and in the later episodes, I am able to empathize more with the plight of the Shu and Kisara than with Chisato and Takina, which cemented EK victory for me.
DragonTheOneSep 18, 2022 2:33 PM
Sep 18, 2022 2:55 PM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
DragonTheOne said:
MonkeeDan said:

MonkeeDan said:

If the execution of Shu's tragic past is not outstanding to you, it's probably because you were not able to empathize with the characters up till that point, and the real magic of the show is lost to you. The same can be said for any show involving romance, and even Lycoris Recoil. We each have our individual tastes and preference and pardon me for making any assumptions but it could be the characters were not likable to you from the beginning which prevented you from making any emotional connection with them.

Speaking of the earlier episodes, while it wasn't as plot-focused, they were entertaining enough, and the relationship dynamic between Shu and Kisara felt is far from being generic. How many animes even dare to show an MC being a manipulative POS that takes advantage of a girl's feelings for him to fight for his goals? The only other one that I can think of with a similar relationship dynamic is Misa and Light in Death Note.

In fact LR and EK are both similar in that the earlier episodes are not plot-focus and mainly focus on the relationship dynamic between the main duo. And in terms of generic relationship, Chisato and Takina relationship although executed brilliantly, definitely feels more generic.

I watched both LR and EK, and in the later episodes, I am able to empathize more with the plight of the Shu and Kisara than with Chisato and Takina, which cemented EK victory for me.

Well yea, to be able to empathize with a character, they have to resonate with me or at least make me feel something that resembles caring. A character that gets spoonfed by 3 different girls and then mix in some tragic backstory or revenge story so to say, isn't able to make me feel that way. Most characters don't go much beyond their initial trope which gives me even less reason for me to care about them. Kisara is the closest one that would make me empathize for her. So yea, you are somewhat right with the assumption that I didn't like the characters since the first few episodes but that doesn't hinder me from thinking that a show is great or not in terms of storytelling and other categories. There are multiple anime that don't have characters that particularly interest me or make me feel anything close to liking them but still manage to be overall enjoyable and a great show due to the overall execution. A show that is build around a single character who has nothing going for him except some sad backstory doesn't offer foundation to build a whole show around it instead of implementing the character in an already existing story with already existing characters that feel like they had a life before they met the main character. Take Shu out of the show and every character would lose their motivation and intention in this show and that is definitely not a good concept to build a world and setting for a show.

The first episodes served a good introduction to establish the overall dynamics between the characters and sorry, they were generic so to say. I guess having a pos mc who manipulates his love interests is somewhat "unique" but the overall concept of 2 girls (or later 3/4) falling in love with him for no apparent reason isn't anywhere close to being new. While the dynamic may be unique, it is build upon feelings that just got attached to a character to give them a reason to appear in the show or mc's life.

Well yea it is in general a pretty common thing to focus the first half of the show, or at least 3-4 episodes to build up the world and set up characters and a plot to execute in the latter half. The LR relationship isn't anything new as well but it doesn't have that sour air of being a wannabe harem around it which instantly feels way better to me. That being said I'm not the biggest fan of LR as well but for different reasons. Idk how many harem/ecchi animes you've seen, but if you watched a decent amount, you'll see what I mean with the characters of EK feeling like a wannabe harem.

Well, Shu and Kisara's plight is definitely the most interesting part of the show but it fails to hold any real impact due to it getting overshadowed by random characters throwing their own lovestory with the mc into the plot. Chisato and Takina's relationship feels a bit more empathizable to me since there is a lack of interrupting side characters that destroy the dynamic of the two of them and simply because Chisato is more symphatetic imo.

smoochie smoochie

Sep 18, 2022 3:24 PM
Aug 2017
MonkeeDan said:
DragonTheOne said:

If the execution of Shu's tragic past is not outstanding to you, it's probably because you were not able to empathize with the characters up till that point, and the real magic of the show is lost to you. The same can be said for any show involving romance, and even Lycoris Recoil. We each have our individual tastes and preference and pardon me for making any assumptions but it could be the characters were not likable to you from the beginning which prevented you from making any emotional connection with them.

Well yea, to be able to empathize with a character, they have to resonate with me or at least make me feel something that resembles caring. A character that gets spoonfed by 3 different girls and then mix in some tragic backstory or revenge story so to say, isn't able to make me feel that way. Most characters don't go much beyond their initial trope which gives me even less reason for me to care about them. Kisara is the closest one that would make me empathize for her. So yea, you are somewhat right with the assumption that I didn't like the characters since the first few episodes but that doesn't hinder me from thinking that a show is great or not in terms of storytelling and other categories. There are multiple anime that don't have characters that particularly interest me or make me feel anything close to liking them but still manage to be overall enjoyable and a great show due to the overall execution. A show that is build around a single character who has nothing going for him except some sad backstory doesn't offer foundation to build a whole show around it instead of implementing the character in an already existing story with already existing characters that feel like they had a life before they met the main character. Take Shu out of the show and every character would lose their motivation and intention in this show and that is definitely not a good concept to build a world and setting for a show.

The first episodes served a good introduction to establish the overall dynamics between the characters and sorry, they were generic so to say. I guess having a pos mc who manipulates his love interests is somewhat "unique" but the overall concept of 2 girls (or later 3/4) falling in love with him for no apparent reason isn't anywhere close to being new. While the dynamic may be unique, it is build upon feelings that just got attached to a character to give them a reason to appear in the show or mc's life.

Well yea it is in general a pretty common thing to focus the first half of the show, or at least 3-4 episodes to build up the world and set up characters and a plot to execute in the latter half. The LR relationship isn't anything new as well but it doesn't have that sour air of being a wannabe harem around it which instantly feels way better to me. That being said I'm not the biggest fan of LR as well but for different reasons. Idk how many harem/ecchi animes you've seen, but if you watched a decent amount, you'll see what I mean with the characters of EK feeling like a wannabe harem.

Well, Shu and Kisara's plight is definitely the most interesting part of the show but it fails to hold any real impact due to it getting overshadowed by random characters throwing their own lovestory with the mc into the plot. Chisato and Takina's relationship feels a bit more empathizable to me since there is a lack of interrupting side characters that destroy the dynamic of the two of them and simply because Chisato is more symphatetic imo.

EK never felt like a harem show to me. It has always established itself as a love triangle from the start up till now. I never counted Sharon as part of the harem because she has never taken any action or even shown the desire to win the love of the MC. Just because they had a ONS in the past does not make her part of his harem when she does not show any interest in being in a relationship with the MC. Although not much can be said for Kanna as not much is shown of her yet, I am inclined to believe that she will not change the show into a harem. So if it's just between three people, that is a love triangle instead of a harem.

I also fail to see why a show cannot be centered around an MC when the whole story of the show is about him and his relationships. The fault you stated is more like 'I don't like this show because its an Isekai' without caring how the show executes itself. Take Shu out and we won't even have the story since the whole story is of him throwing his life away to pursue his goals and Kisara being the one who loves him unconditionally.

In fact, I fail to see how any romance show can even function by removing the MC. Take away Futarou out from QQ and every character will lose their motivation. Take Gojo out from Dress up Darling and every character lose their motivation.
DragonTheOneSep 18, 2022 3:37 PM
Sep 18, 2022 3:33 PM

Oct 2018
MonkeeDan said:
DragonTheOne said:

i disagree tbh engage kiss is really good and you’re wrong

Sep 18, 2022 3:34 PM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
g1l said:
MonkeeDan said:

i disagree tbh engage kiss is really good and you’re wrong
oh okay fair enough 😁

smoochie smoochie

Sep 19, 2022 2:58 AM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
DragonTheOne said:
MonkeeDan said:

EK never felt like a harem show to me. It has always established itself as a love triangle from the start up till now. I never counted Sharon as part of the harem because she has never taken any action or even shown the desire to win the love of the MC. Just because they had a ONS in the past does not make her part of his harem when she does not show any interest in being in a relationship with the MC. Although not much can be said for Kanna as not much is shown of her yet, I am inclined to believe that she will not change the show into a harem. So if it's just between three people, that is a love triangle instead of a harem.

I also fail to see why a show cannot be centered around an MC when the whole story of the show is about him and his relationships. The fault you stated is more like 'I don't like this show because its an Isekai' without caring how the show executes itself. Take Shu out and we won't even have the story since the whole story is of him throwing his life away to pursue his goals and Kisara being the one who loves him unconditionally.

In fact, I fail to see how any romance show can even function by removing the MC. Take away Futarou out from QQ and every character will lose their motivation. Take Gojo out from Dress up Darling and every character lose their motivation.

I mean yea, it is a love triangle, but it gives me the vibes of being a harem with the way the characters interact and their respective tropes. Sharon in my book still holds feelings for him and would probably give it a try if it weren't for the other 2 girls that are trying it already, but yea, doesn't change anything really. Whether or nor Kanna effectively turns it into a harem doesn't matter if it already feels like one since the moment they introduced Sharon to me. I just dislike how they use the love as a plot device and just throw it onto every character that holds any significant value to the story. I'm fine with one or maybe two characters having their motivation being love, but almost every character? Feels a bit much to me tho I guess it's just personal preference (?)

It fails in that aspect that the world itself stops being alive as soon as you take Shu out of it. It can work, sure, but EG had the whole scenario of being a futuristic city that is threatened by demons which already serves enough potential for things happening outside of the mc's perspective. It's okay that the story is about Shu and his revenge and all that, but it shouldn't affect the whole world/city to such an extent that every action begins and ends with him more or less. So no, it's not that I don't like this show because it's an Isekai, but rather that I dislike the way they execute the initial set up of a setting and plot and put feelings onto characters for convenience rather than them being "realistic" and understandable.

Well yea in full on romance shows they need the main characters since they are the main driving force and the whole premise is set around it. In EG you get thrown into a setting as I mentioned earlier just for it to end up being an excuse to establish a love triangle but not creating a romance per se. EG is listed as a romance but the romance should be secondary overall if the whole story is about Shu manipulating the people around him to get his revenge and not going lovey-dovey with them out of feelings no? Idk why you listed Futarou from QQ since it's a harem and harems tend to fully revolve around the main character with them being the only attraction most of the times. They whole show is designed around it and doesn't set up a whole world or unique setting for it to happen in but shows from the beginning that it's revolving around the mc and the girls feelings. Taking out Gojo from Dress up Darling wouldn't change a thing so to say, other than Marin pursuing her cosplay hobby at her own pace instead of relying on Gojo. And the show itself is build around progressing the plot forward while developing their relationship on the sideline instead of the other way around which is essentially what my problem with Engage Kiss is.

smoochie smoochie

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Engage Kiss Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2022

131 by spicarie »»
Apr 17, 5:19 AM

Poll: » Engage Kiss Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2022

78 by spicarie »»
Apr 17, 4:08 AM

Poll: » Engage Kiss Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 27, 2022

93 by spicarie »»
Apr 17, 12:47 AM

Poll: » Engage Kiss Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2022

181 by Kaeicap »»
Mar 5, 10:15 AM

Poll: » Engage Kiss Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2022

106 by Hue_Enjoyer »»
Jan 31, 2:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.