Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 1, 2022 4:29 PM
Dec 2018
I have not yet watched anything past the entirety of the first season, but I can't lie, I was
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 1, 2022 4:38 PM

Jul 2015
One can only dream, that If spinoof will be adapted one day.

Jul 1, 2022 4:46 PM
Dec 2021
Ur words came straight out from your heart right there, ya i think the same too, REM IS LOVE ❤️🛐
Jul 1, 2022 4:50 PM

Mar 2015
you probably need to re-watch this. rem is garbage
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
Jul 1, 2022 5:09 PM
Jan 2021
Well yeah, most people were. Though, its a shame that the rejection gets the spotlight. That scene, that whole episode was amazing, but most people focus on the rejection + guy above me is wrong
Jul 1, 2022 5:14 PM

Aug 2018
Thing about Rem is the author has no idea what to do with her after that scene. All of the traits that made her unique disappear from that point onward.
Jul 1, 2022 5:26 PM
Jun 2021
you can always read the ‘sloth if’ story if you want to see what happens if he accepted her confession. or watch a youtube summary. it’s an official what if story made by the author pretty good imo
Jul 1, 2022 5:26 PM
Aug 2021
To be fair, she tried to murder him. Several times. And even succeeded once, if I’m remembering correctly.

I think Rem is best girl by far, but I really don’t blame Subaru for choosing Emilia instead.
Jul 1, 2022 5:46 PM
Jan 2021
Nah, Emilia is better. Rem just threw herself at him
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jul 1, 2022 6:07 PM

Jul 2021
~spoilers for all of anime re: zero incl. s2~

honestly all of the good parts of this show involved Rem, whereas Emilia is the definition of the "unattainable desire" who is only appealing to subaru because of superficial aesthetic reasons + cos she has boundaries. i think they ruined the show by

in general i was pretty annoyed they fucked this show up so badly tbh. it feels worse when a show has a lot of potential and fails due to terrible writing decisions rather than one with little potential in the first place
-- art-house/psychological/stylish/philosophical anime enjoyer with yuri bias and the attention span of a smol-antlered creature --
Jul 1, 2022 6:08 PM

Jul 2021
official_brown said:

emilia is hardly a character. at least subaru and rem went through things together. emilia is literally just "wow look at me i have boundaries, that's the most attractive thing to a guy without them apparently"
-- art-house/psychological/stylish/philosophical anime enjoyer with yuri bias and the attention span of a smol-antlered creature --
Jul 1, 2022 6:09 PM
Jan 2021
3looming said:
official_brown said:

emilia is hardly a character. at least subaru and rem went through things together. emilia is literally just "wow look at me i have boundaries, that's the most attractive thing to a guy without them apparently"

Well second season she does. But cool.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jul 1, 2022 6:17 PM
Dec 2020
Rem is too good for that loser.
Jul 1, 2022 6:19 PM

Jul 2021
official_brown said:

Well second season she does. But cool.

yeah agree to disagree i guess. i've seen her movie, seen s2, neither won me over to the idea that she was written with any depth beyond "i reacted like a generic normal person would normally to my abnormal backstory" - which isn't very realistic, ironically. heavy backstories usually lead people to develop in ways unique to themselves - persevering through something deeply painful requires you to choose the things you'll hang on to - and this is one of the most basic ways of showing/developing character. but imo emilia reacts in some pretty bland/generic ways which don't really give us any reason to think she has depth as a person - to me she looks just like a mistaken caricature of one. for an odd analogy, it feels like someone describing what LSD is like without having taken it themselves - if you haven't actually been through very heavy things that changed you, you don't know how to write that in your characters.

anyways, that's just my two cents.
Jul 1, 2022 10:03 PM
Jan 2022
3looming said:

honestly all of the good parts of this show involved Rem, whereas Emilia is the definition of the "unattainable desire" who is only appealing to subaru because of superficial aesthetic reasons + cos she has boundaries. i think they ruined the show by

in general i was pretty annoyed they fucked this show up so badly tbh. it feels worse when a show has a lot of potential and fails due to terrible writing decisions rather than one with little potential in the first place

Average simp when thier Waifu doesn't get attention
Check Out My Profile

MAL Profile
Jul 1, 2022 10:10 PM
Jan 2022
Schlockendale said:
I have not yet watched anything past the entirety of the first season, but I can't lie, I was

Well in the Web novel, they agreed to have Rem as his Subaru's second wife if Emilia agrees and Subaru even says "I will make you both mine" in the dragon carriage (last ep of s1).
Check Out My Profile

MAL Profile
Jul 1, 2022 10:14 PM

Jul 2021
Khalnayak2002 said:

Average simp when thier Waifu doesn't get attention

rem isn't even my waifu lmao. i think it's just bad for practical purposes to randomly dispose of characters who are integral to your show.
Jul 1, 2022 11:01 PM

May 2021
Of course, its not like Rem rejected Subaru's offer to run away at all. /s

epidemia78 said:
Thing about Rem is the author has no idea what to do with her after that scene. All of the traits that made her unique disappear from that point onward.

Firstly, that's untrue. Secondly, source?

3looming said:

honestly all of the good parts of this show involved Rem, whereas Emilia is the definition of the "unattainable desire" who is only appealing to subaru because of superficial aesthetic reasons + cos she has boundaries.

That's incorrect since the best parts of the show are dependent on Subaru rather than any of the girls. Next, the reasons you stated for him falling in love with Emilia are incredibly dumb. In reality, he didn't even fall in love with her at the beginning and actually latched on to her, like placing her on an altar, of sorts. Its unhealthy, yes, but the show does address this. Its only in S2 does he come to genuinely love her after recognizing her as a person

think they ruined the show by sidelining Rem as a character. she was the heart behind subaru's battle with sloth, and the rest of the show was boring and predictable after she was forced into the background.

Not only did they NOT ruin the show by doing that, they actually made it better since Rem's presence might have stagnated Subaru's growth.

in general i was pretty annoyed they fucked this show up so badly tbh

I'm so glad the suggestions of other people are not taken into account. This show would have had terrible writing if your suggestions were to be hypothetically incorporated into the show.
RioFSJul 2, 2022 2:32 AM

Jul 2, 2022 12:18 AM
Sep 2019
Schlockendale said:

Bro rem killed him a dozen times, copium.
Jul 2, 2022 12:19 AM

Jan 2021
Rem is a future wife with a lot of skills.

Meanwhile Emilia is just a dumbass woman that only making cute looking expressions.

Guess who Subaru choosed!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did i become a boomer or new seasonals animes are not hitting the spot anymore ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jul 2, 2022 3:03 AM
Apr 2021
Mando727 said:
To be fair, she tried to murder him. Several times. And even succeeded once, if I’m remembering correctly.

I think Rem is best girl by far, but I really don’t blame Subaru for choosing Emilia instead.

My words exactly. She tried to kill him several times. Any sane person would be afraid to death of her. Also that doesn't mean she is a bad character, she is definitely the best girl at least for me.
Jul 2, 2022 3:05 AM
May 2022
the romance between subaru and rem was much more intense than that between emilia and him and in addition I really liked rem (strong, serious, caring) so personally I would have loved it to be her who ended up with subaru but too bad she lost consciousness at the end of season 2 and no one knows if she will appear in the next season😭💔💔 and i don't like Emilia that much ♥️
Jul 2, 2022 5:59 AM
Jul 2015
He didn't reject her, just rejected that she could be the only person he could love.

Sorta spoiler

However Subaru is basically Greed incarnate, all of them have the same priority to him. which plays into Rem seemingly being OK with polygamy with Emilia as long as she is still a priority for him. He would just as easily go to the ends of the earth for Rem than he would Emilia.
Jul 2, 2022 6:43 AM

Jun 2021
all these mfs dissing Emilia are gonna be silent if we ever get a arc6 adaptation
You are amazing 『Natsuki Subaru』
Jul 2, 2022 6:54 AM

Aug 2021
Flugel_047 said:
all these mfs dissing Emilia are gonna be silent if we ever get a arc6 adaptation
I mean you can't really blame them, she was ass, rem was better in s1 but I started to like her in S2 plus the best girl is sleeping or in coma
Jul 2, 2022 7:07 AM

Jun 2021
27thEiffel said:
Flugel_047 said:
I mean you can't really blame them, she was ass, rem was better in s1 but I started to like her in S2 plus the best girl is sleeping or in coma

Lol best girl. Beatrice is best girl 🗿
Jul 2, 2022 7:25 AM
Dec 2021
Piromysl said:
One can only dream, that If spinoof will be adapted one day.

It’d make a great fuckin movie, but god would that ending be depressing if they stayed true to the source.
Jul 2, 2022 8:33 AM

May 2021
Flugel_047 said:

Arc 4 shut a majority of them up already, Arc 5 will turn them into clowns and Arc 6 would make them a circus.

Jul 2, 2022 11:01 AM

Jul 2021
RioFS said:

Arc 4 shut a majority of them up already, Arc 5 will turn them into clowns and Arc 6 would make them a circus.

just because you can actually develop character later on doesn't mean she's actually a good character yet. she totally might be already in the manga but for re:zero i'm anime-only, so ofc i only judge based on the anime lol
Jul 2, 2022 11:05 AM

May 2021
3looming said:
RioFS said:

just because you can actually develop character later on doesn't mean she's actually a good character yet. she totally might be already in the manga but for re:zero i'm anime-only, so ofc i only judge based on the anime lol

1) Its a LN adaptation, not a manga adaptation.

2) She's an excellent and well-written character even in the anime(Arc 4 has already been adapted). It just so happens that she's even better in the LN.

Jul 2, 2022 11:23 AM
Jun 2022
When i first watched when only season 1 was out i liked rem more but after years went by i rewatched season 1 then 2 ovas and such emilia stole my heart and I understood why subaru chooses her
Jul 2, 2022 11:32 AM

Jan 2021
JeXxTaR said:
DoctorKebab said:
Rem is a future wife with a lot of skills.

Meanwhile Emilia is just a dumbass woman that only making cute looking expressions.

Guess who Subaru choosed!

Subaru chose the girl who didn't kill him

Cmon bruv, Subaru can literally create another 100 million alternative timeline that rem won't kill him. You are thinking way too basic.
Did i become a boomer or new seasonals animes are not hitting the spot anymore ?
Jul 2, 2022 11:37 AM

Aug 2017
JeXxTaR said:
DoctorKebab said:

Cmon bruv, Subaru can literally create another 100 million alternative timeline that rem won't kill him. You are thinking way too basic.

He doesn't need to do that if he stays with Emilia
Didn't Emilia's pet kill him once?

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Jul 2, 2022 11:56 AM

Aug 2017
JeXxTaR said:
Remocracy said:
Didn't Emilia's pet kill him once?

And? That's not Emilia's fault
But it's a package deal. Can't be with Emilia and not be with the pet too.

Jul 2, 2022 3:05 PM
Dec 2018
Flugel_047 said:
27thEiffel said:

Now THIS I can get with, lol.

Yeah, I definitely get the "but she tried to murder / murdered him in other timelines" thing, it's just her general characterization and relationship buildup with Subaru is so much stronger than that of Emilia's for me. For someone so central to the plot as Emilia, she feels a little underwritten (I suppose for mystery's sake?) and borderline underused in the first season. Her personality is also kind of stock "good-hearted yet strong-willed" princess-type, IMO. Am I good to assume this is going to change with S2, though?
Jul 2, 2022 3:07 PM

Aug 2017
JeXxTaR said:
Remocracy said:
But it's a package deal. Can't be with Emilia and not be with the pet too.

If you watched season 2 you should know that's not true.

Also Emilia would hate Puck if she knew that he killed Subaru
It's been a while man I forgor 🗿🗿🗿🗿🗿

Jul 2, 2022 5:17 PM

Jun 2021
Schlockendale said:
Flugel_047 said:

Now THIS I can get with, lol.

Yeah, I definitely get the "but she tried to murder / murdered him in other timelines" thing, it's just her general characterization and relationship buildup with Subaru is so much stronger than that of Emilia's for me. For someone so central to the plot as Emilia, she feels a little underwritten (I suppose for mystery's sake?) and borderline underused in the first season. Her personality is also kind of stock "good-hearted yet strong-willed" princess-type, IMO. Am I good to assume this is going to change with S2, though?
Author handles her character in a completely different way than rest of the cast. Her character grows at a very slow pace with every arc thats what's beautiful about it. By the time we reach arc6 it's on a whole different level. You'll start noticing this once we get a s3 if that ever happens 😭
Jul 2, 2022 6:26 PM
Apr 2022
opDYNO said:
Ur words came straight out from your heart right there, ya i think the same too, REM IS LOVE ❤️🛐

REM is love, rem is live
Jul 2, 2022 6:28 PM

Jan 2018
Nah Rem sucks, I'd rather Subaru end up with a more realistic girl aka Emilia
Jul 2, 2022 8:51 PM
Oct 2021
fuck subaru, if that episode in which rem proposed to subaru happened to me, i literally forget who emilia is
Jul 2, 2022 8:52 PM
Oct 2021
Boobsftw said:
Nah Rem sucks, I'd rather Subaru end up with a more realistic girl aka Emilia

she is not realistic and same to u stfu
Jul 2, 2022 10:17 PM
Mar 2022
Schlockendale said:

I felt the same 😔 rem is definitely the girl everyone will want as a partner
Jul 3, 2022 12:26 AM

Aug 2018
i was disappointed as well
Jul 3, 2022 12:27 AM

Aug 2020
RioFS said:
Flugel_047 said:

Lmao my exact words... hope they announce it already in this July expo...
Jul 3, 2022 4:04 AM
Jul 2021
Mando727 said:

I don’t think that the fact that Rem tried to kill him really influenced his decision though, it was just that he “liked Emilia more”. Which is what pissed off so many people
Jul 4, 2022 6:35 PM
Mar 2021
Schlockendale said:

Since you've seen the first season, I wouldn't consider this a spoiler, since it was material covered in arc 3, but unfortunately wasn't adapted in the anime.

In the light novel, Subaru tells Rem under the flugel tree that he loves Emilia (repeating himself from that scene), but continues to say that she (Rem) "makes his heart flutter". Emilia is number one in Subaru's heart, but Rem is number 2. And a close number 2 at that (I think this is due to his feelings for Emilia when she saved his life in the alley on the first episode meaning a lot to him). In response, Rem tells him that she's okay with being his second wife. I could quote the LN directly but I think it's unnecessary.

I'm short, don't be too disappointed about Rem losing out, because she hasn't entirely lost. She holds a place in Subaru's heart that he labels as number 2, but in reality she basically rivals Emilia.
Jul 4, 2022 6:37 PM
Mar 2021
Mando727 said:

95% sure Subaru doesn't hold this against her, he understands that she was just doing her job.
Jul 4, 2022 6:39 PM
Mar 2021
3looming said:

I disagree. The "loss" of Rem keeps Subaru going. It drive him to keep fighting, in hopes of reawakening her. It sucks from the reader/watcher's perspective if they like Rem, but it's not bad writing.
Jul 4, 2022 6:40 PM
Mar 2021
Pallineon said:
Schlockendale said:

Bro rem killed him a dozen times, copium.

Pretty sure he doesn't hold that against her
Jul 4, 2022 6:42 PM
Mar 2021
Link10103 said:
He didn't reject her, just rejected that she could be the only person he could love.

Sorta spoiler

However Subaru is basically Greed incarnate, all of them have the same priority to him. which plays into Rem seemingly being OK with polygamy with Emilia as long as she is still a priority for him. He would just as easily go to the ends of the earth for Rem than he would Emilia.

this right here is the most accurate info here. Thanks for putting it into words so I don't have to
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

725 by motakku »»
3 hours ago

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Apr 24

21 by Okeanix »»
Apr 27, 4:29 PM

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.