Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 29, 2022 5:47 AM
Jul 2021
Dont get me wrong ,its a really great show with one of the better stories out there but imo its still far from a masterpiece. One of the most imp things about a shounen anime is its Main villain and father was a terrible villain who lost simply because he was overconfident . Edward had nothing to do with stopping father. Besides it , the comedy was underwhelmingly bad and the protagonists are meh. Its just my opinion but i wouldn't call it a masterpiece with all these flaws
Jun 29, 2022 6:06 AM
Sep 2021
I also think the show is solid but it’s definitely overated and has its flaws
Jun 29, 2022 6:06 AM
Aug 2019
Idk, the villain is actually pretty compelling for me.

I’d say the bigger flaw is the inconsistency in the power system. The implications you’d think Alchemy would have often aren’t the case. This makes fights feel less meaningful and less impactful.

Also, there’s a bit too much plot armor for characters that don’t really warrant it. Like just make your story darker man. It’s clearly one that should be.

And the music, fuckkkkk the music man. So annoyingly repetitive.
Jun 29, 2022 6:19 AM
May 2021
i get everyone's point, and i do agree that father is far from being a good antagonist, he is kind of boring the majority of the time.
sure, there is a lot of plot armor, but we also get some significant losses/impediments along the way.

the comedy can get repetitive and some of the characters are thinner than paper, but overall (since there are so many to keep track of) they still work in the whole story. this is again a case of 'read the manga' as it brings forth more of certain characters, but yeah, you can't expect everyone to read it, so based on the anime, yes there are some flaws.

lastly i would like to comment that for a lot of people (and for me) we consider it a masterpiece simply because of the nostalgia factor or because it is our first introduction to anime/manga. ratings are all biased anyway, no matter if you look at the show purely analytically or considering its overall entertainment factor.
i'm still gonna give it a 10/10 and i'm not ashamed of it. but i do respect and understand criticism, as there should be with any show.
Jun 29, 2022 6:19 AM
Oct 2020
time passes by... this anime is getting old thats the reason why.

edit: i've ever watched this anime and compared to other animes that time, this one is like 100/10 for me personally,
but when i rewatched it last year, yea.. its getting old.
eizen-sanJun 29, 2022 6:23 AM
Jun 29, 2022 6:37 AM

Apr 2016
I think Father is a good antagonist. It's just he's not as good as other antagonists. Wrath, for example, is far cooler as a character and as a villain.

I think the worst flaw is that something the comedy is out of context, but everything has flaws, so that doesn't make the show really worse.
Jun 29, 2022 6:57 AM

May 2017
Regarding Father, he literally removed his human emotions in a pursuit to become a perfect being, while failing to understand that's what made him who he is. He wanted to become greater than humanity but his entire existence stems from that; he lost because he indirectly rejected his own identity, meanwhile you have Ed who didn't abandon his humanity and is able to achieve his goal because he realised he is first and foremost a human. The other homculi are better villains, yes but Father is great antagonist when you consider what the themes of the story are.
Jun 29, 2022 7:55 AM
Aug 2016
They are started it guys don't know who's fans make fmab from 9.14 to 9.13, but they are start the fire so what should you guys do? makes epic anime fans war ever?
Jun 29, 2022 9:20 AM

May 2021
"*Simply* because he was overconfident",Objectivity isnt always good,he was still fun and gave the final boss vibes,although was finale was a but anticlimactic,it was one hell of a ride all the way through(Dio also lost cause he was overconfident). The biggest flaw i noticed was with the careless handling of our protagonist's motivations.
Jun 29, 2022 9:37 AM

Jun 2019
MAXproARYAN said:
Dont get me wrong ,its a really great show with one of the better stories out there but imo its still far from a masterpiece. One of the most imp things about a shounen anime is its Main villain and father was a terrible villain who lost simply because he was overconfident . Edward had nothing to do with stopping father. Besides it , the comedy was underwhelmingly bad and the protagonists are meh. Its just my opinion but i wouldn't call it a masterpiece with all these flaws

one major Problem too is the plotarmour in the later episodes... this one lion chimera dude should have died several times...
Jun 29, 2022 10:07 AM
Apr 2021
MAXproARYAN said:

I loved the antagonists, idk what u on. But yeah the comedy at times can be annoying.(that’s the same with literally every anime) and yeah father was killed bc he was overconfident, but that just shows his character better
Jun 29, 2022 10:37 AM

Sep 2021
These are not objective flaws but rather your own subjective opinions.

1. Yes, Father was boring or rather he was supposed to be. By relieving himself of all of his sins and aiming to surpass God, he became bland in the process. This pretty much makes sense for him as a character who orders around far more interesting characters.

2. Saying that Father lost simply because of his overconfidence is completely false. Yes, he was overconfident but still in the end everything went according to his plan and countrywide transmutation was a huge success. The only thing he overlooked was the existence of Hohenheim. You could argue that he should've killed Hohenheim on the spot after the success of his plan, but Hohenheim had already set the Umbral circle to activate even if something were to happen to him.

3. I would consider Edward having nothing to do with the defeat of Father to be a plus point, since it allowed side characters who were far more responsible for Father's defeat like Hohenheim, Scar, Scar's brother etc to shine and makes us feel Edward to be a part of the show rather than being it's stars. Sometimes we forget that the main aim of this story was never about defeating Father, but for Ed and Al to get their bodies back.

4. Comedy is a highly subjective aspect. Still the jokes were are not that consistent to affect the overall enjoyment for me.

5. Edward is a great protagonist so I'll simply say you're wrong.
Jun 29, 2022 10:42 AM
Jul 2021
father (the little one in the flask) is a literal representation of the fallen angel Lucifer, how he thought he could surpass God only to be put in his place, I don't think this is flawed in any way lol it's a pretty solid villain who you can relate to and also pity and despise him.
Jun 29, 2022 10:53 AM
Jul 2021
Which anime is perfect then? Shut up already!
Jun 29, 2022 11:17 AM
Aug 2021
This show is definitely extremely overrated IMO
Jun 29, 2022 11:41 AM
May 2021
Defo overrated imo, came in thinking I would enjoy it, but it was alright. Still a good show tho.
Jun 29, 2022 1:47 PM
Feb 2020
Its mostly for women, which is okay, but this site has a strong bias towards series with crossover appeal. it has a lot of femanine themes. its baacially a perfect feminine Shonen, but also like you realize its a PRETTY GOOD general Shonen. far from the best, but with huge crossover appeal since many girls do think its the best for them, thats what drives the ranking. Many people forget half of the anime world is made for an entirely different audience.
Jun 29, 2022 3:02 PM
Dec 2020
All I know is Death The mf Kid can murk any man in FMA and thats facts
Jun 29, 2022 6:08 PM
Oct 2021
As for me it was the comedy, some of gag really gotten on the way of some serious stuff that happening and it happen several time.
Jun 29, 2022 8:58 PM
Jul 2020
I respect everyone that says this show is a masterpiece and i can kinda see where they’re coming from,but it was a fantastic show until like e40 and then just a mid show
(Mid is not a negative word , stop it)
Jun 29, 2022 9:52 PM

Jan 2020
Arakawa has that habit of putting little jokes even in serious scenes. That's not a big problem in the manga, she can make those jokes occupy a small space in the page or panel of the manga, indicating to the readers that it's something of little importance.

But in animation it HAS to occupy the screen, even if for just a couple seconds. So it ends up interrupting the flow of the scene and being kinda annoying.
Jun 30, 2022 12:05 AM
Jun 2022
Is it bad that I like watching retards argue on the internet over their fav show
Jun 30, 2022 10:25 AM

Mar 2015
flaws, he says! the audacity! just look at this beautiful masterpiss
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
Jun 30, 2022 10:44 AM
Mar 2021
It had a competent ending, which many series fail to do.
Jun 30, 2022 11:08 AM
Nov 2016
pasanoid said:
flaws, he says! the audacity! just look at this beautiful masterpiss

Dear god, you have absolutely no idea how much I cringed with those fucking, cringy moments.

FMAB has one of the worst comedies I've seen, seriously, the comedy in this anime is simply garbage. I know that comedy is subjective, but these types of comedy are aimed at 10-year-old kids.

If anyone actually laughed at that shit comedy then good for you I guess.
Jun 30, 2022 12:48 PM

Mar 2015
cl0s3tweeb said:
yeah, indeed it had ending. it definitely is one of the shows ever made!
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
Jun 30, 2022 3:42 PM
Feb 2013
eizen-san said:
time passes by... this anime is getting old thats the reason why.

edit: i've ever watched this anime and compared to other animes that time, this one is like 100/10 for me personally,
but when i rewatched it last year, yea.. its getting old.

I don't even think it was great for it's time. in fact, I think it had stronger competition back when anime wasn't made to cater mainstream audiences.
Jun 30, 2022 4:45 PM
Mar 2021
pasanoid said:
cl0s3tweeb said:
yeah, indeed it had ending. it definitely is one of the shows ever made!

Don't forget the comedy. He turned himself into an alligator, funniest shit I've ever seen.
Jun 30, 2022 9:43 PM

May 2021
-Excesive and unfunny comedy overused even at important and serious moments. The comedy was dogshit practically.
-Most of the villains were basic and uninteresting. The best was by far Bradley.
-The show was too soft for a show that is based in characters that are in a Special Military Police Force with them even trying to do a coup d'etat, you just couldnt feel the suspense or the danger in this show, you always knew how the outcome will be.
-The resolution that Ed does at the end could be seem arguably as an asspull, he could have done that by the 1st chapter of the show having he realized he was able to do it.

The show was indeed flawed but Kaguya being the #1 now isnt too much of a improve if I am being honest.
Jul 1, 2022 12:49 AM
Nov 2021
This showis just overated but i enjoyed story atmost
Jul 2, 2022 11:40 AM
May 2022
the general consensus of people hype it up because they haven't watched too many shounen shows, to actually realise that their better shows than FMA , there is a great premise , with great themes that are not tackled fully but brushed over, you can see it was geared to a certain demographic with its writing and dialogue, Soul Eater and FMA are the only two anime that I literally wanted to drop, but soldiered on inorder to see what was all the fuss , the only saving grace in FMA, is the character of Scar who is poorly mistreated , in the last half of the anime whilst all his actions are justified.
Jul 3, 2022 11:46 AM

Aug 2019
MAXproARYAN said:
and father was a terrible villain who lost simply because he was overconfident .

An overconfident villain. That... literally describes almost every single anime villain in general. What kind of complaint is that? Next you'll complain about other overused anime tropes lol.
Jul 3, 2022 1:02 PM
Nov 2016
Early_Morning said:
MAXproARYAN said:
and father was a terrible villain who lost simply because he was overconfident .

An overconfident villain. That... literally describes almost every single anime villain in general. What kind of complaint is that? Next you'll complain about other overused anime tropes lol.

Yeah, this is why shounen anime villains are crap in general but for this anime to be #1 for so many years, I expected a better villain but it was the same cliche crap that I've seen over and over again.

A good villain is Silco in Arcane (a series based on League of Legends), seriously, Silco is one deep, interesting villain, I wish shounen animes learn how to make good villains like him.
Jul 3, 2022 7:46 PM
Jul 2021
Early_Morning said:
MAXproARYAN said:

That is not true at all , Father was simply one of the worst villains ever imo , He held back himself more than any fmab char. Well written villains aren't like that . There were like millions of possibilities for father to win. Idk how you can even compare him to the likes of Aizen , Johan , Madara and all
Jul 18, 2022 7:56 PM
Jan 2015
fmab is starting to show its age as a poorly written cliche shonen anime. Its outdated at this point compared to newer shonens as well as seinens.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.