Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 23, 2022 9:08 AM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014

---
Another beautiful film by Wolf Smoke!
May 23, 2022 9:19 AM

Sep 2020
Very beautiful short flim but Wtf happened at the end ?
Aug 16, 2022 7:40 AM

Aug 2017
Seeing modern attempts to imitate ink wash animation is very pleasing! Continuing the legacy of Shanghai Studio, I see.

ZXEAN said:

The child went away with the adoptive mother and left her past (represented by the floating hat) behind. The old woman was an adoptive grandma but she was left behind as well. That's my interpretation.
Sep 2, 2022 2:20 PM
Mar 2019
This was sooo Good, found by accident too.
I thought the Child drowned and joined his Mother, who i was glad never left him.
Much better than the amount of people watching.
Oct 10, 2023 6:20 AM

Jun 2010
Reply to St0rmblade
Seeing modern attempts to imitate ink wash animation is very pleasing! Continuing the legacy of Shanghai Studio, I see.

ZXEAN said:

The child went away with the adoptive mother and left her past (represented by the floating hat) behind. The old woman was an adoptive grandma but she was left behind as well. That's my interpretation.
It's much simpler than that. Since it's Suzhou Chinese, a local dialect of what they speak nearby Shanghai (it's about 20 minutes away from the city with train) and the whole setting in the 1930s.

The subs are a bit off on this. The adoptive father left for Shanghai, the mother stayed and presumably fell ill and died not so later that year. A local old lady adopts the boy, who can't accept his mother's death and clings onto her final words, that she will come back for him. Coming back as when he will die surely, she will be his guidance to the afterlife. And that's what we see at the end when the mother floats in with the boat. The hat floating at the end is just stating the Yuè's (or Moon as they translated it) death and thus ending the melancholy so far with a greater tragedy.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.