Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Apr 17, 1:26 AM

Jun 2020
Very cool. I have only seen Link Click and Soulmate Adventure and what I can say is that they make excellent first seasons and combat, but messy 2nd seasons

Apr 17, 1:33 AM

May 2021
As a Chinese, Chinese animations are either goated like Link Click, Ti Guan Ci fu and Mo Dao Zu Shi, or they can be just pure trash with same repetitive themes and weird 3d styles
Apr 17, 1:47 AM

May 2021
Reply to ColourWheel
@sodaJar

That is just your opinion not mine.

If it bothers you so much that some random User like me labels Chinese Donghua as propaganda, go bitch and whine about it to someone who cares.

Dogshit or not, I see any entertainment that is state media as propaganda. That is simply just my own opinion. There is no reason to correct myself to satisfy some random User I don't know and don't care about.
@ColourWheel
I just wanna know which Dong hua you watched that actually made you feel like you are watching propaganda? Cuz I think you are basically saying dong hua production is heavily influenced by the ccp, therefore they are propaganda. But which exact donghua did you actually see CCP political ideologies in? Watching anime, arent we just watching japanese propagandas with the display of constant Japanese culture. Matter of fact, many people decide to go to and live in Japan because of the influence of anime. Isnt that an affect of the Japanese propaganda in anime? Watching US war films, we are also constantly getting fed with the US's ideologies like liberallism and patriotic lone heroes type of ideas. How come you think everything from China is propaganda but everything else isn't? I get your saying CCP influence on media, but they don't stand if you cant name examples of what you have seen.

So no, I dont get your argument
ZimmuApr 17, 1:51 AM
Apr 17, 2:21 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to Zimmu
@ColourWheel
I just wanna know which Dong hua you watched that actually made you feel like you are watching propaganda? Cuz I think you are basically saying dong hua production is heavily influenced by the ccp, therefore they are propaganda. But which exact donghua did you actually see CCP political ideologies in? Watching anime, arent we just watching japanese propagandas with the display of constant Japanese culture. Matter of fact, many people decide to go to and live in Japan because of the influence of anime. Isnt that an affect of the Japanese propaganda in anime? Watching US war films, we are also constantly getting fed with the US's ideologies like liberallism and patriotic lone heroes type of ideas. How come you think everything from China is propaganda but everything else isn't? I get your saying CCP influence on media, but they don't stand if you cant name examples of what you have seen.

So no, I dont get your argument
@Zimmu

I already explained it earlier in the thread but I guess that doesn't matter so I will just re-post it for you if you missed it.

ColourWheel said:
Honestly wouldn't even care enough to dig that deep to waste my actual time to watch a bunch of garbage. But I have done enough research on how the CCP operates to know enough about the way they police their own entertainment. Even if there aren't direct examples I can point to, things like entertainment that are state sponsored can be subtle if one consumes enough of something. As an example if you were to start consuming foods you are not use to that give you a physical reaction, over time if you keep consuming the same thing the reaction could weaken to even completely disappear over time. The same thing applies to any media entertainment one consumes. This could simply be ways of thought to direct opinions on issues. Only being able to consume entertainment that is CCP approved can dramatically effect the way one thinks.

Broadly Chinese Donghua is state media entertainment. If it's too much to wrap your head around the concept I put forth, there is nothing I could do about it. But just imagine for a moment the CCP started advocating in their state media entertainment that killing people that disagree with them was perfectly acceptable. I am sure if you consumed enough of this type of state media entertainment you would start to think killing over disagreements is ok too if that is all you are consuming in your life is this state media entertainment. State media in the concept of the CCP and the tactics they often go to the extreme of can be very subtle considering the length the CCP goes to snuff out any type of dissent. You might think this is paranoia but I have done enough research on how the CCP operates to understand the length they go to even over petty things. It's not far out of reach to think the CCP is employing subtle and even subliminal messaging and themes in every piece of entertainment that is CCP approved. What makes things even more suspicious is there has never been any attempt for a broad global marketing campaign for Chinese Donghua. It's been stated before that broadly Chinese Donghua is specifically made just for the Chinese domestic audience. If China really wanted, they could easily start their own global marketing campaign but it's obvious they are purposely trying to contain their own media entertainment within their country to influence their own citizens in this regard.

Which is why most Chinese Donghua is not even legally available outside of China and those who are consuming things outside of their country that are not legally available are doing so through illegal piracy.

If your are already a huge fan of Chinese Donghua I don't expect you to ever get my arguments if one is already baked into the culture.

I would suggest people do research on the CCP themselves to get a better understanding how they operate and the extremes they would go to just to influence their own citizens. The China people aren't even allowed to use tiktok, youtube, facebook, etc... they got their own alternatives that are heavily policed.
ColourWheelApr 17, 2:29 AM
Apr 17, 2:41 AM

May 2021
Reply to ColourWheel
@Zimmu

I already explained it earlier in the thread but I guess that doesn't matter so I will just re-post it for you if you missed it.

ColourWheel said:
Honestly wouldn't even care enough to dig that deep to waste my actual time to watch a bunch of garbage. But I have done enough research on how the CCP operates to know enough about the way they police their own entertainment. Even if there aren't direct examples I can point to, things like entertainment that are state sponsored can be subtle if one consumes enough of something. As an example if you were to start consuming foods you are not use to that give you a physical reaction, over time if you keep consuming the same thing the reaction could weaken to even completely disappear over time. The same thing applies to any media entertainment one consumes. This could simply be ways of thought to direct opinions on issues. Only being able to consume entertainment that is CCP approved can dramatically effect the way one thinks.

Broadly Chinese Donghua is state media entertainment. If it's too much to wrap your head around the concept I put forth, there is nothing I could do about it. But just imagine for a moment the CCP started advocating in their state media entertainment that killing people that disagree with them was perfectly acceptable. I am sure if you consumed enough of this type of state media entertainment you would start to think killing over disagreements is ok too if that is all you are consuming in your life is this state media entertainment. State media in the concept of the CCP and the tactics they often go to the extreme of can be very subtle considering the length the CCP goes to snuff out any type of dissent. You might think this is paranoia but I have done enough research on how the CCP operates to understand the length they go to even over petty things. It's not far out of reach to think the CCP is employing subtle and even subliminal messaging and themes in every piece of entertainment that is CCP approved. What makes things even more suspicious is there has never been any attempt for a broad global marketing campaign for Chinese Donghua. It's been stated before that broadly Chinese Donghua is specifically made just for the Chinese domestic audience. If China really wanted, they could easily start their own global marketing campaign but it's obvious they are purposely trying to contain their own media entertainment within their country to influence their own citizens in this regard.

Which is why most Chinese Donghua is not even legally available outside of China and those who are consuming things outside of their country that are not legally available are doing so through illegal piracy.

If your are already a huge fan of Chinese Donghua I don't expect you to ever get my arguments if one is already baked into the culture.

I would suggest people do research on the CCP themselves to get a better understanding how they operate and the extremes they would go to just to influence their own citizens. The China people aren't even allowed to use tiktok, youtube, facebook, etc... they got their own alternatives that are heavily policed.
@ColourWheel

Don't worry Im not. Im just trynna approach this objectively.

The same thing applies to any media entertainment one consumes. This could simply be ways of thought to direct opinions on issues. Only being able to consume entertainment that is CCP approved can dramatically effect the way one thinks.

I don't know about this. Like I said, dong hua just aren't a political propanganda, because from what I know and what I have seen, they tend not to include politics in them. Im not saying there aren't CCP propaganda animations out there, but the mainstream dong hua does not include politics. Hence, you couldn't possibly be brainwashed into the "CCP way of thinking", if there aren't politics in them in the first place. Matter of fact, Chinese productions, not just donghua, but other medias tend to NOT include many (CCP) politics related themes, unless tehy are marketed as a propaganda media. This is because its those that really get censored. Therefore, foreign audience like you and me, don't get to experiences this so called "weakened reaction". Im assuming you watched Link Click. I don't think you can name one part with CCP ideology. Mo dao zu shi? Ofc not. Other Chinese cultivation themed shows? None. Dong hua don't just give you a lecture on communist ideologies because China isn't the 1960s and everything is a propaganda. As a Chinese, we all know what real entertainment is: Something non-politics related. And Dong hua are created to serve that purpose. Yes, they get through CCP examinations, but it is to make sure they aren't against CCP, not for the reason that they have to ADD ccp ideologies. I don't know if you see the difference there. Im all for free speeches, and ofc Im not supporting censoreship and propaganda in entertainment. But this is still something we need to clarify.

But just imagine for a moment the CCP started advocating in their state media entertainment that killing people that disagree with them was perfectly acceptable.

So having said what I said above that politics aren't a thing in mainstream entertainment Donghua, your point just don't stand. With your point, are we just gonna let Japan, who commited serious genocides and rapes during WW2 and dumping nuclear waste water in to the sea to make anime and let us to see? Then aren't the Japanese culture and ideology bad? Why are we still watching anime which promote them?
Are we still able to look at American media the same, knowing they've been involved in 108 wars since its establishment, with 5 currently ongoing wars and funding Israel to commit genocide in Palestine, bombing innocent civilians in middle east...The list goes on. China has their problems too, but Im just naming some examples. If you really look at the political aspect in entertainment, then you can't enjoy anything. You can't just depict China as this evil villain and everything that comes out of it is some sort of venom. The best is to keep entertainment as entertainment; politics as politics.

You might think this is paranoi

Respectfully, I still think this is paranoia, because you are afraid of getting to intimate with a type of media which you find foreign, when in reality its totally harmless.
ZimmuApr 17, 2:56 AM
Apr 17, 2:51 AM

Mar 2021
Zimmu said:
Respectfully, I still think this is paranoia.

You are right to have you own opinion. I am not going to name names but someone I use to know who lives in China who was against the CCP suddenly disappeared one day and never heard from them again since. I don't know if they are alive or dead but they certainly became a complete ghost. That is what sparked my interest in doing research on the CPP. Which is why I have no interest in consuming direct Donghua garbage. You can call it personal if you want.
Apr 17, 3:03 AM

May 2021
Reply to ColourWheel
Zimmu said:
Respectfully, I still think this is paranoia.

You are right to have you own opinion. I am not going to name names but someone I use to know who lives in China who was against the CCP suddenly disappeared one day and never heard from them again since. I don't know if they are alive or dead but they certainly became a complete ghost. That is what sparked my interest in doing research on the CPP. Which is why I have no interest in consuming direct Donghua garbage. You can call it personal if you want.
@ColourWheel
Ok fair, you can watch it or not and thats totally your choice. Im just trying to get the facts right on my behalf.

someone I use to know who lives in China who was against the CCP suddenly disappeared one day and never heard from them again since.

Idk what happened to your friend, but people don't just go disappear in China nowadays. That might be true if it was the 1950-80s though. Obviously you can get arrested for commiting actions or open speeches against the party, but its not as severe as many westerners think. Vietnam does this too, and heck, you can get arrested for talking bad about the Thailand king. You also can very likely disappear in Sharia government like Iran and Afghanistan. Point is, freedom of speeches isn't as common as people think. And secondly, no, CCP don't just go around and kill everyone who talks badly about them. CCP isn't even bad when you compare it to many other countries, but this is me being biased. There is no way a government like this can manage a population of 1.4 billion and make China prosper to where it is now in less than a century. Its insane though many people still think China do that.
Apr 17, 3:27 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to Zimmu
@ColourWheel
Ok fair, you can watch it or not and thats totally your choice. Im just trying to get the facts right on my behalf.

someone I use to know who lives in China who was against the CCP suddenly disappeared one day and never heard from them again since.

Idk what happened to your friend, but people don't just go disappear in China nowadays. That might be true if it was the 1950-80s though. Obviously you can get arrested for commiting actions or open speeches against the party, but its not as severe as many westerners think. Vietnam does this too, and heck, you can get arrested for talking bad about the Thailand king. You also can very likely disappear in Sharia government like Iran and Afghanistan. Point is, freedom of speeches isn't as common as people think. And secondly, no, CCP don't just go around and kill everyone who talks badly about them. CCP isn't even bad when you compare it to many other countries, but this is me being biased. There is no way a government like this can manage a population of 1.4 billion and make China prosper to where it is now in less than a century. Its insane though many people still think China do that.
Zimmu said:

It's not below the CCP to make people disappear completely. Only need to do research on the many people they have completely scrubbed any existence of them off the internet to understand the length they go to. The CCP might not kill people completely off but they certainly have the resource to make people basically disappear. Even restricting the people they can talk to or even socializing at all.

https://www.cfr.org/in-brief/peng-shuai-china-disappeared-how-beijing-silences-critics

ColourWheelApr 17, 3:30 AM
Apr 17, 4:05 AM
Jul 2021
Reply to ColourWheel
@sodaJar

That is just your opinion not mine.

If it bothers you so much that some random User like me labels Chinese Donghua as propaganda, go bitch and whine about it to someone who cares.

Dogshit or not, I see any entertainment that is state media as propaganda. That is simply just my own opinion. There is no reason to correct myself to satisfy some random User I don't know and don't care about.
@ColourWheel chill bro, the OP said "Don't go into politics and let political bias influence your views.... just keep it anime", which is what ive been telling you, but if you insist, im not going to track you down or sth (and again these animation studios are factually not "state media", whether its still propaganda or not is your subjective opinion)

its all good

uwu
sodaJarApr 17, 4:22 AM
Apr 17, 4:27 AM
Jul 2021
Reply to ColourWheel
Zimmu said:

It's not below the CCP to make people disappear completely. Only need to do research on the many people they have completely scrubbed any existence of them off the internet to understand the length they go to. The CCP might not kill people completely off but they certainly have the resource to make people basically disappear. Even restricting the people they can talk to or even socializing at all.

https://www.cfr.org/in-brief/peng-shuai-china-disappeared-how-beijing-silences-critics

@ColourWheel @Zimmu everyone should just calm the fk down we have enough politics in our lives already dont bring that into MAL (what does the chinese gov censoring critics have to do with animated cartoons fr)
Apr 17, 4:37 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
I watched Shi Cao Lao Long Bei Guan Yi E Long Zhi Ming not that long ago. It was my second chinese anime, if I remember correctly. I think it was funny as hell. Really enjoyable to watch. However, I watched it with Chinese dub. There were no Japanese dub. Got me wondering why MAL has only Japanese dub actors on it's page. Maybe the Chinese ones doesn't exist :O
"You only realize the real value of something you discarded when you get the chance to pick it up again." - Rudeus Greyrat
Apr 17, 4:43 AM

Jan 2019
I've only watched Quanzhi Gaoshou, pretty decent I would say
but it's kinda weird to watch Chinese "donghua" as a Chinese (Mandarin) speaker myself, especially with English subs on, it felt really weird.

Still prefer anime, but that's because I watched way more Japanese animation than Chinese.
Apr 17, 1:25 PM

Mar 2021
@sodaJar

You want me to to put politics aside, fine.

Chinese Donghua is irritating to consume. I don't understand Mandarin unlike how I understand other languages spoken like Nihongo, English, or even Kugo.

The extremely few Chinese Donghua I have watched I simply ended up dropping due to getting bored of the story or simply irritated seeing subtitles obstructing the actual animation. I easily get annoyed by this. Also since a majority of Chinese Donghua isn't even legally available on any of the many western legal platforms that actually caters to Japanese Anime, translations can be shady at best and extremely inconsistent.

Chinese Donghua often lacks the polish and fluidity that I commonly see in most modern Japanese Anime. Also Chinese Donghua created using CGI looks like I am watching videogame cut scenes in a language I don't understand, where I might as well just be consuming raw computer graphics playing some random RPG.

I have noticed Modern Chinese Donghua relies heavily on tropes and storylines found in just about any Japanese Anime where it's fundamentally unoriginal as a medium in this regard and at it's core it's simply trying to copy what Japanese Anime has done already. I would simply be better off spending my time watching regular seasonal Anime Series where I can actually understand what the characters are actually saying to begin with.

Further more I have noticed Chinese Donghua can be often culturally insensitive promoting portrayals of historical revisionism which is worse than their censorship laws where there is literally self-censorship by the creators themselves in order to be deemed appropriate by the CCP.

Generally Chinese Donghua is Over-reliance on CGI to the point they shove it up the ass of the viewers. While CGI can be used effectively in animation, it is overused in Chinese Donghua and often poorly integration when 2D animation is actually being incorporated to begin with.

Over all there is largely no broad appeal when it generally comes to Chinese Donghua. Chinese Donghua might as well just be a low subgenre in the animation world.

In conclusion, Chinese Donghua is garbage. No reason anyone who is at any level of being any type of an animation connoisseur would even waste their time with Chinese Donghua as it's own medium, which is specifically why outside of China it can only exist as a niche product in the West on a platform actually dedicated to Japanese Anime.
ColourWheelApr 17, 2:17 PM
Apr 17, 1:49 PM

Apr 2019
Reply to Yumerei
Mo Dao Zu Shi
Scissor Seven
Link Click
Legend of Hei (movie)

Are good starters

Quality wise they're not that different from japanese anime, but I'm kinda avoiding their 3D stuff.
Yumerei said:
Mo Dao Zu Shi
Scissor Seven
Link Click
Legend of Hei (movie)
Perfect list, this is the cream of the crop. I've seen a few more, but frankly the drop in quality to those four is noticeable when it comes to writing. I'm not a fan of historizing drama, and many Chinese shows are set in that genre. The animation quality usually is high and fluent, but I watch for the story and not for the animation.

ryo-san said:
How is Chinese voice acting ?
After years of anime, I'm used to the sound of Japanese and can pick up some words and idioms, and am used the way certatin emotions are expressed in Japanese. In Mandarin, this is different again and the flow and sound of the language to me is monotonous and opaque. This makes a difference, watching Mandarin shows is harder for me.

Apr 18, 2:10 AM
Jul 2021
Reply to ColourWheel
@sodaJar

You want me to to put politics aside, fine.

Chinese Donghua is irritating to consume. I don't understand Mandarin unlike how I understand other languages spoken like Nihongo, English, or even Kugo.

The extremely few Chinese Donghua I have watched I simply ended up dropping due to getting bored of the story or simply irritated seeing subtitles obstructing the actual animation. I easily get annoyed by this. Also since a majority of Chinese Donghua isn't even legally available on any of the many western legal platforms that actually caters to Japanese Anime, translations can be shady at best and extremely inconsistent.

Chinese Donghua often lacks the polish and fluidity that I commonly see in most modern Japanese Anime. Also Chinese Donghua created using CGI looks like I am watching videogame cut scenes in a language I don't understand, where I might as well just be consuming raw computer graphics playing some random RPG.

I have noticed Modern Chinese Donghua relies heavily on tropes and storylines found in just about any Japanese Anime where it's fundamentally unoriginal as a medium in this regard and at it's core it's simply trying to copy what Japanese Anime has done already. I would simply be better off spending my time watching regular seasonal Anime Series where I can actually understand what the characters are actually saying to begin with.

Further more I have noticed Chinese Donghua can be often culturally insensitive promoting portrayals of historical revisionism which is worse than their censorship laws where there is literally self-censorship by the creators themselves in order to be deemed appropriate by the CCP.

Generally Chinese Donghua is Over-reliance on CGI to the point they shove it up the ass of the viewers. While CGI can be used effectively in animation, it is overused in Chinese Donghua and often poorly integration when 2D animation is actually being incorporated to begin with.

Over all there is largely no broad appeal when it generally comes to Chinese Donghua. Chinese Donghua might as well just be a low subgenre in the animation world.

In conclusion, Chinese Donghua is garbage. No reason anyone who is at any level of being any type of an animation connoisseur would even waste their time with Chinese Donghua as it's own medium, which is specifically why outside of China it can only exist as a niche product in the West on a platform actually dedicated to Japanese Anime.
@ColourWheel agreed, CGI looks like trash and the most of the voice actors sound like prepubescent kids w/ eigth grader syndrome, and don't count on cartoons being historically accurate. and for god's sake from what i see 90% of the donghuas are wuxia sword fantasy and its repetitive.

tho i dont think its about "simply trying to copy what Japanese Anime has done already" in the derogatory sense (if a japanese manga artist copies the isekai trope its ok but when a chinese manhua artist copies the trope its not?), its just the spreading of culture like any other thing (not like japan, korea and china havent been influencing each other for thousands of years). its spreading to the west as well but we get crap like high guardian spice.

and ig obviously censorship rules damage the quality of a work because artists have less freedom and i hate that, i hope they become lenient but i doubt it. My biggest problem again is with the voice acting, sometimes a young guy sounds like a middle aged dude who just got fired and sometimes a girl sounds like fucking siri. the only ok "donghua" i watched was Ani ni Tsukeru Kusuri wa Nai!, which i didn't even realize was chinese cuz i watched a japanese dub until i spotted some stuff from my own experience. for most donghuas i just skim through and cringe and drop. they're decent at best.

that said i certainly am not and will not be actively looking for specifically chinese animations, if i somehow randomly come across some ill judge case by case
Apr 18, 2:14 AM

Jan 2013
I still need to watch Link Clink, but on the whole I will try to avoid any anime dubbed in Chinese.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 18, 4:32 AM

Mar 2021
sodaJar said:
agreed, CGI looks like trash and the most of the voice actors sound like prepubescent kids w/ eigth grader syndrome, and don't count on cartoons being historically accurate.

That's another thing that pisses me off about Chinese Donghua. I won't lie, Mandarin just sucks as a language when it comes to media entertainment. When watching old Kung fu theater movies, I would rather listen to the actors speak in Cantonese than in Mandarin and Cantonese can be at times just as jarring to listen to as Mandarin. In fact most of the classic films that came out of Hong Kong were originally in Cantonese and simply later just dubbed in Mandarin because no media entertainment was actually coming directly out of Main land China for international audiences till after the turn of the century.

But it's more than just simply being historically inaccurate, there is real cultural insensitivity in their media entertainment in general. They do the same things Russia and North Korea does with historical revisionism in their media entertainment. It's done on purpose. As a main focus to appeal to their young domestic audience by promoting only patriotic and nationalistic sentiments. From the glorification of historical figures to the complete white washing of historical events.

Emperor Qin Shi Huang or Chairman Mao Zedong is always portrayed as unambiguously virtuous leaders while glossing over the complexities of their rule. historical battles and conflicts are always retold in a way that emphasizes Chinese strength, resilience, and victory. Even the Second Sino-Japanese War highlights Chinese resistance against Japanese aggression, while minimizing any setbacks or defeats while ironically trying to flood this type of Propaganda in the Japanese domestic market at the same time through their joint partnerships with Japan allowing them to introduce this type of garbage directly to the Japanese people.

Foreign powers are always portrayed in a negative light (Specifically Western). Always emphasizing their aggression, exploitation, or betrayals to reinforce a narrative of Chinese victimhood and resilience against external threats.

Mainstream Chinese Donghua always uses soft power projection promoting Chinese culture, values, and historical perspectives to international audiences which is always 1st heavily scrutinized to ensure that it aligns with the Chinese government's priorities and messaging.
ColourWheelApr 18, 6:43 AM
Apr 18, 4:43 AM

Mar 2023
Nowadays i'm more interest to see whats comes out China than whats comes out of the West and Japan. But i don't consider Donghua to be anime.
Apr 18, 7:29 AM
Jul 2021
Reply to ColourWheel
sodaJar said:
agreed, CGI looks like trash and the most of the voice actors sound like prepubescent kids w/ eigth grader syndrome, and don't count on cartoons being historically accurate.

That's another thing that pisses me off about Chinese Donghua. I won't lie, Mandarin just sucks as a language when it comes to media entertainment. When watching old Kung fu theater movies, I would rather listen to the actors speak in Cantonese than in Mandarin and Cantonese can be at times just as jarring to listen to as Mandarin. In fact most of the classic films that came out of Hong Kong were originally in Cantonese and simply later just dubbed in Mandarin because no media entertainment was actually coming directly out of Main land China for international audiences till after the turn of the century.

But it's more than just simply being historically inaccurate, there is real cultural insensitivity in their media entertainment in general. They do the same things Russia and North Korea does with historical revisionism in their media entertainment. It's done on purpose. As a main focus to appeal to their young domestic audience by promoting only patriotic and nationalistic sentiments. From the glorification of historical figures to the complete white washing of historical events.

Emperor Qin Shi Huang or Chairman Mao Zedong is always portrayed as unambiguously virtuous leaders while glossing over the complexities of their rule. historical battles and conflicts are always retold in a way that emphasizes Chinese strength, resilience, and victory. Even the Second Sino-Japanese War highlights Chinese resistance against Japanese aggression, while minimizing any setbacks or defeats while ironically trying to flood this type of Propaganda in the Japanese domestic market at the same time through their joint partnerships with Japan allowing them to introduce this type of garbage directly to the Japanese people.

Foreign powers are always portrayed in a negative light (Specifically Western). Always emphasizing their aggression, exploitation, or betrayals to reinforce a narrative of Chinese victimhood and resilience against external threats.

Mainstream Chinese Donghua always uses soft power projection promoting Chinese culture, values, and historical perspectives to international audiences which is always 1st heavily scrutinized to ensure that it aligns with the Chinese government's priorities and messaging.
@ColourWheel cantonese sounds way worse to me tbh

there is nothing wrong with chinese culture and i believe we're rational enough to not let some cartoons change our political stance, examining only the impact of it on the quality of a work(no one is going to watch donghua for history lol, a wikipedia fact check would sniff out all the BS; the biggest soft power china has are bing chilling social credit memes lmao). please dont politicize

and yes mandarin is a legit reason for not liking donghuas
sodaJarApr 18, 7:41 AM
Apr 18, 8:04 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to sodaJar
@ColourWheel cantonese sounds way worse to me tbh

there is nothing wrong with chinese culture and i believe we're rational enough to not let some cartoons change our political stance, examining only the impact of it on the quality of a work(no one is going to watch donghua for history lol, a wikipedia fact check would sniff out all the BS; the biggest soft power china has are bing chilling social credit memes lmao). please dont politicize

and yes mandarin is a legit reason for not liking donghuas
@sodaJar

Have you actually ever seen a Chinese Donghua that ever portrays China in a negative way or even takes place in the country as bad and dangerous as Compton, California in the States? Even Japanese Anime won't gloss over the dangers in places like Kabukicho, Shinsekai, or even Kamagasaki when Japanese Anime is basically fiction. Soft power projection can involve the lack of making anyone aware there are actually bad places that exist in China at all.
ColourWheelApr 18, 8:08 AM
Apr 18, 8:56 AM
Jul 2021
Reply to ColourWheel
@sodaJar

Have you actually ever seen a Chinese Donghua that ever portrays China in a negative way or even takes place in the country as bad and dangerous as Compton, California in the States? Even Japanese Anime won't gloss over the dangers in places like Kabukicho, Shinsekai, or even Kamagasaki when Japanese Anime is basically fiction. Soft power projection can involve the lack of making anyone aware there are actually bad places that exist in China at all.
@ColourWheel

ColourWheel said:
Have you actually ever seen a Chinese Donghua that ever portrays China in a negative way

a negative way politically, no. culturally, at times (societal problems are made fun of, but the moment it gets political, this happens: https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/18/17370354/china-bans-rage-comics-insult-communist-officials
or this:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/01/03/the-political-cartoons-that-maybe-got-their-artist-shut-down-on-chinese-social-media/)

ColourWheel said:
or even takes place in the country as bad and dangerous as Compton, California in the States?

ive never been to compton but when it comes to bad and dangerous places, china usually doesn't censor that (as long as its not modern china), i did a 5 second search on chinese manhuas and found this for instance: https://m.manganelo.com/manga-jo124334
its literally in an apocalyptic world (skimmed through it), im pretty sure theres others

ColourWheel said:
Soft power projection can involve the lack of making anyone aware there are actually bad places that exist in China at all

trust me a sane person is not braindead enough to think bad places dont exist in china. again, a simple wikipedia fact check would sniff out all the BS

sounds like to me you're advocating for social change to ban all chinese media, if thats not political idk what is, so please if youre not going to stop politicizing everything then go to a political forum, not MAL, literally a forum for anime bruh
Apr 18, 9:17 AM

Mar 2021
@sodaJar

I was literally being just critical about Chinese Donghua where there is a sheer lack of something where modern china is basically never seen in a negative light, not even in fiction. A clear reduction in quality where there is a lack of something.

You politicizing my criticism is pretty rich. Maybe you should stop making it about politics as well.
ColourWheelApr 18, 9:22 AM
Apr 18, 9:22 AM
May 2022
Everyone needs to watch X&Y (Aiyou de Mishi) Its the best show ever.
BEASTARS Season 3 will be the best anime ever :)
Apr 18, 9:49 AM
Jul 2021
Reply to ColourWheel
@sodaJar

I was literally being just critical about Chinese Donghua where there is a sheer lack of something where modern china is basically never seen in a negative light, not even in fiction. A clear reduction in quality where there is a lack of something.

You politicizing my criticism is pretty rich. Maybe you should stop making it about politics as well.
@ColourWheel true true, it was your last sentence "Soft power projection can involve the lack of making anyone aware there are actually bad places that exist in China at all." that made me raise my eyebrow.

im really happy that youre willing to put aside your biases, its very unfortunate that chinese artists cannot express themselves as fully as possible
Apr 18, 11:55 AM

Jul 2014
If Chinese animation is anime, so are Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Boondocks. Regardless, I do need to seek out more of it so I can give it a fair shake. The ones I have seen are quite old and not particularly good.
Take care of yourself

Apr 18, 12:06 PM

Jul 2021
Haven't watch much to say they are good or not in general, but Link Click is really good! I don't know how to explain the difference, it's just different in some way, and very noticeable, just like korean animation!
Apr 18, 9:54 PM

Jun 2023
I've only watched Scissor Seven and it's pretty great, even better if you know Chinese.
Apr 18, 10:26 PM

Dec 2014
I have watched a few Chinese anime the Chinese voices take a while to get used too, but some of the good ones that I highly recommned are Link Click, The Kings Avatar, Big Fish & Begonia and Zhen Hun Jie.
Apr 19, 9:20 AM

Mar 2024
I've only watched two donghua series, them being:

• Da Li Si Rizhi (White cat legend) - a series happening in the 9th century China about a guy joining the dali court to find his lost brother. He becomes a secretary for an official, who has a form of a white cat. Really interesting story, fun comedic situations and enjoyable animation (especially fight scenes).

• Wan Sheng Jie (All Saints Street) - this one is more silly, it consists of short comedic episodes about a kind demon boy, who lives with other creatures such as vampire, angel, werewolf etc. in a human world, but he's being hunted as he's secretly a demon king. Fun and lighthearted.
Apr 20, 2:24 PM

Nov 2017
Animation is kinda different from japanese style. And dub feels a little weird to me. I am not fan of them.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Did you guys know that the first animated X rated movies were an anime? Animerama movies

Phantomnocomics - 5 minutes ago

0 by Phantomnocomics »»
5 minutes ago

» How many years has it been since you started anime? ( 1 2 )

nirererin - Yesterday

61 by StyxParadise »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » What should be the next Type Moon anime project.

AnimePedestrian - 3 hours ago

4 by Timeline_man »»
9 minutes ago

» Why is anime so dead rn? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

MercurialAlien - Jul 20

235 by literallyeurope »»
12 minutes ago

» What is the trashiest anime genre?

basrekichka - 12 hours ago

48 by LucindaTheQueen »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.