Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 25, 2010 2:31 PM

Aug 2008
Lol, garfield15.

I...I don't know. The show tries to do so much in one go, that it's very disengaging. They packed in a lot of episode relevant content into 20ish minutes, and I kind of wish the stuff with the teleporter were done in the first episode. Then the bad comedic elements and sappy power of music elements (even for a musician) are just too heavy for something that doesn't feel as light. The show is really struggling with it's tone for me. It still has great potential, though.
Apr 26, 2010 12:17 AM
Jul 2018
Lind_L_Tailor said:

I wouldn't say greater, but more focus on it than being completely episodic. (Bar the backstory about Julia and Vicious, but hey.)

There are plenty of other episodic shows out there. I'd say being episodic is about the only thing it has in common with Cowboy Bebop.

I think a better comparison is with Darker Than Black.

Anyways, I think this is a pretty watchable series, but it's got its fair share of problems too.
Apr 26, 2010 9:40 PM

Jul 2008
pretty ingenious to use music broadcasted out-loud to pass along secret coded messages
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Apr 27, 2010 12:00 AM
Apr 2010
kage-bunshin said:
pretty ingenious to use music broadcasted out-loud to pass along secret coded messages

leave it to a musician at heart to do that, and then die when he no longer could
Apr 27, 2010 1:03 AM

Dec 2008
I found this episode a bit boring maybe I was too tired or something like that ; )
I also couldn't follow every aspect of this episode.

But nevertheless I will follow the show because I like the setting and the characters
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2010 3:01 PM

Feb 2009
Did the Russian guy bite his own tongue of, or was it the pills?
Apr 27, 2010 9:53 PM

Apr 2010
Ahohime said:

I think the pills.
Apr 27, 2010 10:18 PM
Oct 2007
I like the concept and I can follow what's going on, except I don't remember a single character's name. Is that bad? And it's not my problem. They barely try to introduce these characters. Okay, I see their background history. That's great and it's emotional with the rain and the deaths and the awfully sad music, but if I don't even know the character's name and recognize that this is so-and-so we're adding depth to, how do I even feel anything?
Apr 27, 2010 11:20 PM
Jul 2018
Annisa said:
I like the concept and I can follow what's going on, except I don't remember a single character's name. Is that bad? And it's not my problem. They barely try to introduce these characters. Okay, I see their background history. That's great and it's emotional with the rain and the deaths and the awfully sad music, but if I don't even know the character's name and recognize that this is so-and-so we're adding depth to, how do I even feel anything?

I don't either. Except Natsume, because of Natsume's Book of Friends.

In fact, I can't differentiate between the male leads. They don't do a very good job with the characterization.
Apr 28, 2010 12:28 AM
Jul 2008
noteDhero said:
I...I don't know. The show tries to do so much in one go, that it's very disengaging. They packed in a lot of episode relevant content into 20ish minutes
Exactly my thoughts.
The premise of a this series is excellent, but the realisation is bad. Like it's trying to hard.
They need to slow it down a bit imo.
Apr 28, 2010 8:06 AM

Dec 2008
Ahohime said:

he had a cyanide capsule hidden in his tooth
that method to kill oneself was popular in this era by spies and high military leaders
after WWII some german military leaders used that method after or before they were put into prison.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 2010 11:00 AM

Sep 2008
I totally enjoyed the music in the ep ^^

Can anybody tell me the name of the pieces played please + is there a full version of the ending ?
Apr 30, 2010 1:00 AM

Jun 2008
Wow subs are out? I wasn't finding any so i gave it some time to check later but it seems i was a little late.

Jacut said:
hikky said:
I found this episode dreadfully unengaging...

I understand how you feel, this show seems to be quite complex and the themes, background and characters aren't properly introduced for now, which make it really confusing and difficult to watch. At the same time, I also feel there's something more to it and there will definitely be some good developments, so that's why I'm still watching it.

Yeah That's how i see it too. Everything is still confusing and not explained properly but the characters seem interesting the whole set-up seems intriguing and i love the artwork.

I have to admit i felt for the old guy. He really loved his music.
In the end they never really learned what information he was passing through and who huh?
Hope things will get clearer as we go.

Yukina playing violin was nice. For some reason i find beautiful girls playing violin, very hot.

Axilla said:
The super powers put me off. Probably because I wasn't expecting them to be a part of this anime. :/ Decent episode.

Truth be told, the way this series is presented, super powers really don't seem to have been all that necessary. They could have made this whole episode exactly the same with out the use of super powers.
It makes me wonder what is the reasoning behind them.
MonadApr 30, 2010 1:04 AM
May 2, 2010 9:07 PM

Jun 2009
This show is soo awesome!
May 4, 2010 12:27 AM

Nov 2009
Japanese James Bonds that are the X-Men who are in tumultuous Shanghai speaking crappy Mandarin (but excellent Russian)

Lol, that definitely WASN'T excellent Russian. In fact, the main character's seiyu spoke it so badly I couldn't even understand what he was saying half of the time. The violinist, though, spoke almost perfect Russian (though the intonation was really weird, as was his vocabulary). Still, the best Russian I've ever heard in anime, hands down. (well, excluding Origa's songs :D )

Oh, and the ep itself? Beautiful music, both in OP/ED and the ep itself, story's a bit slow, though, especially for a 13-episode anime.
May 6, 2010 9:56 AM

Mar 2008
it was fun ;)
May 7, 2010 5:31 AM

Mar 2009
About 3 or 4 languages in this ep, if I'm not mistaken. Nice OP.
May 7, 2010 11:07 PM

Jun 2009
francismeunier said:
[
I did not particularly understand why would he caught blood at the end.....was it pills or his own health.....?

I believe he killed himself with Cyanide pills, unless I am mistaken. Anyway, I'm really liking this series.
May 8, 2010 4:32 AM

Jan 2008
This looks promising storywise. Love the OP - nice animation, concept, and of course the song accompaniment. I'm glad MUCC did this. Nice ED also. I was amazed with HIMEKA's quality of voice.
May 20, 2010 5:05 AM

Dec 2009
Niklai said:
None sub group care about handicaped darker than black

This is just the beginning , you can't judge an anime just by it's first episodes .
May 22, 2010 11:39 PM
Apr 2010
alwaysbored said:
Niklai said:
None sub group care about handicaped darker than black

This is just the beginning , you can't judge an anime just by it's first episodes .

KAW-PHT do care however this show is a true PAIN IN THE BEEP at times due to various reasons, from horrible accents to online (viewable only in japan) episodes.
May 30, 2010 6:54 PM

Aug 2008
Decent episode, I wasn't terribly interested in it though.

Nov 22, 2011 10:31 PM

Jun 2009
It was an interesting episode, however for me the proportions of the characters drive me crazy. When you are zoomed in close to the characters they look normal, however any time you look at something from more then 6ft away they look dreadful. Usually with length of arms or height of surrounding objects.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Oct 27, 2013 1:08 PM

Nov 2009
Hrmmm . . . This series is kind of missing something, hopefully that will pick up (since that is what I have heard I'll choose to believe it will)
May 11, 2014 3:09 AM

Jul 2008
Death by cyanide pill...can't win them all, but now I'm curious about her brother.
Aug 27, 2014 4:09 PM

May 2012
Quite lovely episode in general, quite liked the Violin play! Let's see what happens next though.
Jan 29, 2017 3:48 PM

Sep 2013
That was AMAZING.

No idea why people are being negative lol.
Jun 2, 2021 6:52 PM
Aug 2020
Not sure if anyone is still on this forum 11 years later... BUT

TL;DR: who is the Russian Jewish violinist based off of??

does anyone know anything about Sergei Krainev (sp?)? I found his story very interesting how he fled Russia due to anti-Jewish persecution, then went to Germany, and then someone ended up in Shanghai.

I tried to search him on Google, but nothing came up, so I do not think that he was a real person.

Does anyone know who he is based off of? The most that I could find is an article about Jewish refugees and violins: https://www.npr.org/sections/deceptivecadence/2013/04/02/176018068/hubermans-list-how-a-violinist-saved-jews-in-world-war-ii
Sep 26, 2021 12:38 AM

Aug 2017
Well, the only good part is that dude killing himself to avoid being captured. Everything else is rushed, random flashback there, random flashbacks here. Chill.

They have powers but why?
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Senkou no Night Raid Episode 5 Discussion

ShanaFlame - May 3, 2010

42 by Dywei »»
Jan 29, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Senkou no Night Raid Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jun 28, 2010

54 by SlammyHammy »»
Apr 19, 2023 8:26 PM

» Japan's War Propaganda and Crimes

guyklc - Apr 12, 2010

38 by Neostorm-X »»
Jul 18, 2022 4:28 PM

Poll: » Senkou no Night Raid Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - May 17, 2010

68 by oooo3333 »»
Apr 24, 2022 11:11 AM

Poll: » Senkou no Night Raid Episode 9 Discussion

tsubasalover - May 31, 2010

26 by oooo3333 »»
Apr 22, 2022 10:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.