Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 12, 2022 11:44 AM

Jan 2016
Like many others on this site, I was someone who read this manga while it was still publishing and experienced the rushed final arc. For a while, I met people who recently read this manga in 2021 and I saw no one have the same complaints that I did which led me to going over this part of the story and reflecting on it. In short, I think this manga received far more backlash then what it deserved. Sure, it had its flaws that were mostly found in the final arc, specifically how some parts of the story that were introduced earlier to be setup as lore and explored later on were seemingly forgotten, etc. Despite this, it shouldn't take away from all the good this manga did. We got an amazing protagonist and antagonist, conclusions for majority of our characters (I will admit, I still believe *some* were rushed/executed poorly), and an overall strong conclusion that I find to be extremely applicable to one's life. I'm not saying to completely disregard the negatives, but if you found this manga to be unsatisfactory because of the direction it was going, give it another try or think it over. It's a lot more beautiful than we think.
Feb 3, 2022 7:12 PM

Sep 2016
People have been reading Tokyo Ghoul? It was always one of my favourites (still is) but it kinda seems like the series died and no one ever talks about it anymore. For me, it's been a few years since I've read TG:re in it's entirety but I do remember not liking the final arc that much. It was incredibly rushed and felt really outlandish with some of the stuff that was happening (Kaneki turning into a huge monster for example).

A re-read would definitely refresh my memory but I'm not sure if I want to do that (just yet). I just haven't felt the urge to revisit the story as of now but maybe I will somewhen in the future when I'm in the mood again.
Feb 3, 2022 11:06 PM

Jan 2016
Yogen-No-Ko said:
People have been reading Tokyo Ghoul? It was always one of my favourites (still is) but it kinda seems like the series died and no one ever talks about it anymore. For me, it's been a few years since I've read TG:re in it's entirety but I do remember not liking the final arc that much. It was incredibly rushed and felt really outlandish with some of the stuff that was happening (Kaneki turning into a huge monster for example).

A re-read would definitely refresh my memory but I'm not sure if I want to do that (just yet). I just haven't felt the urge to revisit the story as of now but maybe I will somewhen in the future when I'm in the mood again.
if you decide to re-read it, it’ll be worth your time. Just like you, i also did not like the final arc and though there are still flaws present in it, it’s still amazing to me.
Feb 5, 2022 6:38 AM

Nov 2020
I only watched the anime but after like two years I remembered the show so instead of rewatching it I tried to read the Manga and made me realize that this was way better than I remembered.

I personally never felt like it was rushed its more like straightforward than rush. even tho it has a good score on MAL it still feels like it wasn't liked by many.

I started to think if the Anime Adaptation screw it up?
May 18, 2022 2:54 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
PSN said:
Yogen-No-Ko said:

if you decide to re-read it, it’ll be worth your time. Just like you, i also did not like the final arc and though there are still flaws present in it, it’s still amazing to me.

I have started reading the original manga in 2019, finished it in 2020, started Re right after, and at this moment I m close to finish Re, at the start of final volume and overall my opinion is that Re is still way better than the original, I just liked the characters way more in Re, the prequel just feels like a build up, and the pay off was Re.

Never watched the anime on purpose since I heard the manga was better.
Aug 25, 2023 11:17 PM

Dec 2009
I skimly noticed hate comments from the ending which I guess are the exaggerated minority.

To me, for Tokyo Ghoul as a whole is a great classic.
For its constant twists, for the many developments, the mysteries, and especially the characters themselves, including the villains.

Unfortunately the ending isn't satisfying since it isn't a better peace, but that's OK.
I think its biggest flaws is how there's a fair amount of continued mystery or logic to some characters which I still question till this day and wonder if Ishida ever answered them somewhere.

I made a thread about it called Finale Mysteries.
Oct 10, 2023 8:02 AM

Jun 2016
i watch the anime until the end it was ok but not amazing... everyone said manga is the best... so in 2023 august i read the manga from tokyo ghoul to tokyo ghoul :re... my experience was amazing such a roller coaster emotion... 9/10
Dec 25, 2023 7:52 AM
Oct 2022
Reply to Playcool
PSN said:
Yogen-No-Ko said:

I have started reading the original manga in 2019, finished it in 2020, started Re right after, and at this moment I m close to finish Re, at the start of final volume and overall my opinion is that Re is still way better than the original, I just liked the characters way more in Re, the prequel just feels like a build up, and the pay off was Re.

Never watched the anime on purpose since I heard the manga was better.
@Playcool You did wrong.
You should have watched season 1,2
Because anime have a masterpiece soundtrack, voice acting and directing( specially ep 12 and emotional scenes)
That make you understand the world of tokyo ghoul and charachters, I mean make you feel it.
All the characters of original tokyo ghoul are great
Kaneki,touka,rize,hinami,tsukyuma,eto
arima...
Anime make you love these characters, specially because of their voice acting

I recommend you to watch season 1,2
Both are great, although season 2 is different compare to manga.

Tokyo ghoul original is alot batter than re
I have read both of them 3 times

Re was rushed in storytelling and development some main characters and plots

Specially in the last arc
Re has alot plot holes.
But I agree that season 3,4 anime was trash.
Dec 25, 2023 8:10 AM
Oct 2022
Even the writer admit that re was rushed and he didn't know what he was doing and just wanted to finish it as soon as he could.

Original tokyo ghoul was masterpiece but re was just fine with alot plot holes and problems, just tsukyuma and cuculia arcs were great rest of it was meh or trash
Dec 26, 2023 10:02 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Reply to Zero01guard
Even the writer admit that re was rushed and he didn't know what he was doing and just wanted to finish it as soon as he could.

Original tokyo ghoul was masterpiece but re was just fine with alot plot holes and problems, just tsukyuma and cuculia arcs were great rest of it was meh or trash
@Zero01guard I don't need to watch the anime to appreciate the OST at all, in fact I have the ost on my phone to listen to at some point. The anime, I might see one day, with very LOW expectations.
Dec 26, 2023 10:10 AM
Oct 2022
Reply to Playcool
@Zero01guard I don't need to watch the anime to appreciate the OST at all, in fact I have the ost on my phone to listen to at some point. The anime, I might see one day, with very LOW expectations.
@Playcool anime season 1 is great in term of everything, just some few thing did get skip from manga.
You should defently watch it.
But season 2 is different compare to manga but steel is good

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 181 Discussion

Raizel - Aug 8, 2018

48 by flesh123 »»
Apr 12, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 125 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Z4K - May 20, 2017

333 by CanderousTheOrdo »»
Apr 5, 5:04 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 179 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 10, 2018

33 by ren_moon »»
Mar 13, 11:06 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

lunar1412 - Dec 29, 2014

204 by Buddistic »»
Sep 14, 2023 6:44 PM

» help refresh my memory pls

Hunted - Aug 11, 2023

5 by waalex11 »»
Aug 25, 2023 11:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.