Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Apr 6, 2010 10:20 PM

Nov 2009
pretty good first episode :3 animation is really well done and the special effects look awesome. Well so far so good for this anime first ep was really very interesting. I like the premise of the show :3
Apr 7, 2010 12:12 AM

Oct 2009
Monad said:
Yeah I get it but can you compare Ichiban Ushiro no DaiMao to this=>

I don't think I will see those kind of effects....so I agree with you on that point but not that it other anime currently can beat this effect in the GIFs.

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Apr 7, 2010 12:50 AM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
Looks like this will be a cool show. : )
Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

Apr 7, 2010 1:48 AM

Jan 2010
Oh! Monad, that was a wonderful explanation. I would never have noticed, and though I would agree that was a tiny bit anal (har har) it was quite necessary to prove your point.

I would argue that some of these would otherwise go unnoticed or be acceptable if they had not gone and used those CG backgrounds in every scene, but it's really no excuse for some of the mistakes (V-elbowslol) that they made.

francismeunier said:
Yeah I get it but can you compare Ichiban Ushiro no DaiMao to this=>

I don't think I will see those kind of effects....so I agree with you on that point but not that it other anime currently can beat this effect in the GIFs.

Here we have another extreme: an example of good (if not great) special effects animation.

However, I would like to point out that it does not mean it is acceptable to present the episode in such a mess; just because they have really good parts does not mean the bad parts (omgsquareman) should be ignored.

It is also a fairly unreasonable comparison if you put it that way. I do not feel the need to have to explain why.

Of course, I will continue to look forward to watching this show every week, as I do not see it as a reason to not continue, but obviously one must not simply overlook the faults in this work. After all, it is best to be as objective (No, not a grammar mistake. Search wikpedia for 'Objectivity') as possible if you want to be taken seriously.

Also, Tenshi is awesome. Loli + hand-blade + impenetrable barrier + school uniform = pure win. Of course Loli is the most important factor... at least to me. ;)
Apr 7, 2010 1:57 AM
OG Rewriter

Aug 2009
This anime looks awesome =)
Apr 7, 2010 5:06 AM

Jun 2008
Monad said:

Edit: - BTW i just noticed an interesting statistic. All the people who had a problem with what i said had Clannad in there favorites. It looks that my comment about company love wasn't very far off. People see whatever they want to see.

I would have thought CLANNAD fans (like myself) would have been more critical because it's the first major Key series not animated by KyoAni, and were then impressed by it because they didn't notice the animation errors and just saw the very pretty effects and lovely bright colour palette.

That's my opinion. That's how I felt about it at first, and why I enjoyed it and thought the animation was so good when it wasn't. Please don't write Key fans off with such sweeping generalisations.
Apr 7, 2010 5:12 AM

Jul 2009
Smochi said:
Monad said:

Edit: - BTW i just noticed an interesting statistic. All the people who had a problem with what i said had Clannad in there favorites. It looks that my comment about company love wasn't very far off. People see whatever they want to see.

I would have thought CLANNAD fans (like myself) would have been more critical because it's the first major Key series not animated by KyoAni, and were then impressed by it because they didn't notice the animation errors and just saw the veruy pretty effects and lovely bright colour palette.

That's my opinion. That's how I felt about it at first, and why I enjoyed it and thought the animation was so good when it wasn't. Please don't write Key fans off with such sweeping generalisations.

At least all these animation problems have been pointed out. It will most likely improve with that.

Still, the animation was above average and better than a lot of other series, I feel Monad is putting the series down just because of a few artistic mishaps. It isn't any different from people playing video games just for their graphics, which is why I had a problem with what you said Monad (Though I can relate a bit easier now you have pointed some of these out, I remember the weird hand but that's pretty much it). You're being too critical to give an anime so much shit on its first episode, as a first episode I'd say this is pretty good but P.A works got lazy. Anyone remember Canaan's first episode? I don't remember seeing any animation blunders compared to Angel Beat's, in fact I recall a fantastic action scene with perfect animation. Not really acceptable, especially for Key who are relying on P.A works to bring this to fruition.
Apr 7, 2010 6:34 AM

Jun 2008
Psychodrake said:
Smochi said:
Monad said:

I would have thought CLANNAD fans (like myself) would have been more critical because it's the first major Key series not animated by KyoAni, and were then impressed by it because they didn't notice the animation errors and just saw the veruy pretty effects and lovely bright colour palette.

At least all these animation problems have been pointed out. It will most likely improve with that.

Still, the animation was above average and better than a lot of other series, I feel Monad is putting the series down just because of a few artistic mishaps. It isn't any different from people playing video games just for their graphics, which is why I had a problem with what you said Monad (Though I can relate a bit easier now you have pointed some of these out, I remember the weird hand but that's pretty much it). You're being too critical to give an anime so much shit on its first episode, as a first episode I'd say this is pretty good but P.A works got lazy. Anyone remember Canaan's first episode? I don't remember seeing any animation blunders compared to Angel Beat's, in fact I recall a fantastic action scene with perfect animation. Not really acceptable, especially for Key who are relying on P.A works to bring this to fruition.

It's not that i specifically had any intention to give the show any shit from the first episode nor to i only care about the artwork. It's just that i noticed all the things i said while i was watching and i was surprised with how specifically highly praised the anime was here about it's technical department with very pompous words like "The best i ever saw" and staff like that. So since i was very surprised when another person made a comment exactly about what i noticed i finally felt relief i wasn't going nuts.
Then i got as a reply comments of "not everyone thinks like you", "the world doesn't revolve around", "you are self-centered" and staff like that.
Still i thought that they misunderstood what i was talking about because it wasn't something that had anything to do with how you prefer things and i explained what i was talking about.
As a reply i got that i was blind and need to see a doctor. Well right about there i thought is time to put some pics for examples because people are trying to drive me crazy. So basically i ended up commenting on flaws of the show and looking like i was overcritical, but i was just push to over-criticise a little because of some replies i got.
Apr 7, 2010 7:27 AM

Jul 2009
Monad said:

Then i got as a reply comments of "not everyone thinks like you", "the world doesn't revolve around", "you are self-centered" and staff like that.

Nonono, this isn't just because you disliked the artwork but mainly because of some generalizations you threw out, which was a little uncalled for. Some people are cruel about it but I don't think I was wrong to say that people don't have the same opinions as you. You DID make it out as though the animation was terrible all around and it was great at times. I didn't mean to offend you if I did and I would like to apologize as you seem well-spoken and like Evangelion ;)
Apr 7, 2010 9:48 AM

Aug 2008
I'm just going to throw all of my support over to Monad at this point for a couple of reasons:
1) He is completely right.
2) The quality of animation, character design rarely gets better. Normally the first episode is the most "OMG!" and then it depreciates. Things may come back around for the end, but that's only if it's necessary.

This is a 13 episode show, and things were noticeably sloppy if you aren't a Key fanatic. On top of that, if you know what to look for (like Monad) it's just not good. I had a problem with the shredded clothes and lack of nipples, but when Monad pointed out exactly what paper clothes were, and compared them to another series, I totally get what he's saying. Now it's something I'll be looking at in other series too.

I can't imagine how it will look 3 episodes from now.
noteDheroApr 7, 2010 9:53 AM
Apr 7, 2010 12:19 PM
Mar 2008
As a dedicated fan of Key and P.A. Works I've waited for this show with great expectations. After watching once I had mixed impressions. Watching twice left me even more confused. Certainly, this show hadn't convinced me with the first episode. And it would be a first Key's show that hadn't.
Apr 7, 2010 12:34 PM

Jan 2009
The concert scene was the best scene in the entire episode.
To be honest, the only reason I'm watching this is because it's by Key and also because Hanazawa Kana is Angel's seiyuu :B
Apr 7, 2010 1:08 PM

Nov 2008
Christ, this has over 400 posts for what?

Apr 7, 2010 1:17 PM

Nov 2008
desolato said:

dsfghbnfyme7unrvyeruab5nryre
Apr 7, 2010 1:58 PM

Nov 2008
Maximatum99 said:
desolato said:

dsfghbnfyme7unrvyeruab5nryre

Oh no you didn't!
Apr 7, 2010 2:24 PM

Aug 2009
The concert scene was fantastic! I pretty much enjoyed this a lot! :D I'm def gonna follow it!
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Apr 7, 2010 3:27 PM

Aug 2009
Oh yeah! 23 pages of posts. Let's get Toradora/Umineko talkback up in here!

(though nothing beats the 11eyes discussions. NOTHING. That was epic)
Apr 7, 2010 4:02 PM

Oct 2009
garfield15 said:

Guess who to thank for.......me of course. I can't compare to noteDhero's logical point with Monad but my 2 GIFs proved that some anime in this season can't = to that so I will enjoy that unique stuff and it might get better even.....most peak points are at half way through anyways.

Apr 7, 2010 5:01 PM

Nov 2007
francismeunier said:
garfield15 said:

Guess who to thank for.......me of course. I can't compare to noteDhero's logical point with Monad but my 2 GIFs proved that some anime in this season can't = to that so I will enjoy that unique stuff and it might get better even.....most peak points are at half way through anyways.

lets not mention 11eyes ever again...please guys ^_^;
Apr 7, 2010 6:03 PM

Nov 2007
key are pure win i like this XD

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Apr 7, 2010 6:11 PM

Oct 2007
And how much did you got pay for this, Monad? I am rather interesting about it :D

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Apr 7, 2010 7:32 PM

Jun 2008
Siva said:
And how much did you got pay for this, Monad? I am rather interesting about it :D

Oh yeah you got me. I'm also the one who killed Kennedy and am the true leader of All-Qaeda.
Apr 7, 2010 11:53 PM

Dec 2008
Not surprised about the overload-post trouble; the whole KEY-as-an-attached-name-aspect, I expected, would generate a lot of hype surrounding the series, especially after the CLANNAD series.

By no means do I hate KEY (I like them), but I'm going to admit in the midst of the (seemingly) negative momentum that Angel Beats didn't start off as strong as I had expected. Keeping it KEY-related, CLANNAD, AIR and Kanon, particularly the first series, all opened strongly and generated interest right from the beginning; they also managed to initiate the plot whilst managing to introduce the characters all at a decent pace.

Angel Beats just sort of left me hanging, but that's probably due to post-hype disappointment. Hopefully, the series develops better, but with only 13 episodes, I have a feeling this is going to suffer from being rushed.

I really hope Maeda-san keeps true to his words in that interview he held recently; it seems like (almost) everything is riding on the second episode.
Will I fall in love someday? I wonder?

Apr 8, 2010 12:54 AM

Oct 2009
Monad said:
Siva said:

Oh yeah you got me. I'm also the one who killed Kennedy and am the true leader of All-Qaeda.
Rofl! That made my day.....just rofl.

Apr 8, 2010 12:59 AM

Sep 2008
Nanashi and Haruhi, probably other characters that I missed.
Hopefully there's more to the story, this episode didn't really grab me like some of the other shows for this season.

"You're such an idiot."
~Celty (Durarara)

"How many seconds until the boy confesses his love to the girl?"
~Durarara

Should it be sad now that twice in a season I've been glad that subs scrolls by to quickly for me to process?

Apr 8, 2010 10:08 AM

Jun 2009
francismeunier said:
Monad said:
Siva said:

Rofl! That made my day.....just rofl.

Actually, it's not funny...But who cares about Kennedy...
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Apr 8, 2010 11:26 AM

Mar 2010
Damn, some people are really picky about what they watch. I don't think I would ever drop a show because I didn't like the way the character's clothes were drawn.
Apr 8, 2010 12:09 PM

Nov 2008
Well, this was...really mediocre, but it still has a plenty of potential. We haven't seen any real plot (but it leaves lots of place for cool plot twists), the setting has barely been explained and the characters had practically no development aside from the male lead (bland, but tolerable). However, all of that can be salvaged and I'll assume by Key's popularity that plot and character development are their strong points.

My main qualms so far were that the humor mostly sucked (usually doesn't pick up after the first episode), the dialogue was nothing special and the art style was bland as hell (the animation was awesome, but art style is far more important to me).

Maybe I'm not biased enough to buy into the hype. I should probably watch some Key anime before episode 2 or something.

Siva said:
That wasn't an interesting comeback at all.
Nyuu3Apr 8, 2010 12:23 PM
Apr 8, 2010 12:33 PM

Dec 2009
It's really good, love the music. C:
Apr 8, 2010 2:10 PM
Dec 2008
i think kyoani shouldve worked on this
not P.A. Works
Apr 8, 2010 4:11 PM
Apr 2010
oh yeah boy. this is my fav of the spring line up so far.
Apr 8, 2010 4:35 PM

Jul 2009
kaena said:
i think kyoani shouldve worked on this
not P.A. Works

Although I like KyoAni's animation, I hate their laziness more so than P.A works.

Sure, everything moves smoothly, but the hands and feet are usually drawn like crap. Something that seems to have appeared with K-On and a little bit of After Story. Well, that's just my opinion anyway, they did give Air the sharp art-style and did so quite well.
Apr 8, 2010 5:14 PM

Sep 2008
Lol 100 point combo definitely reminds me of Tomoyo from Clannad kicking Sunohara. And did anyone else catch "I'm in despair!" Haha Zetsubo-sensei XD
Apr 8, 2010 8:27 PM

Feb 2009
Eternal_Shield said:
LOL 100 hit combo xD

LOL It took me completely by surprise, didn't think this anime would have so much free violence.

But I liked, I expect very much for the sotry, the art rocks... It's a shame it's already confirmed that will have only 13 episodes. =/
Friend Code 3DS: 4914-3165-5517
Apr 8, 2010 8:37 PM

Aug 2009
I think it was amazning to begin with.
To star toff the story with irst ep is absolutely kool
Apr 8, 2010 11:16 PM

Oct 2009
Static-Subs' quality never fail to amaze me. I'd reccomend them above any other. (Yeah, I'm bias.)

The anime and art are quite nice indeed, not a suprise with the budget this got.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2010 3:28 AM

Sep 2009
The animation and character design is really good, I like it :D

Also really liked that gag's as well and I'm looking forward to see how this anime's progression goes.
Apr 9, 2010 9:30 AM

Jun 2009
The first episode was very good, but I had a hard time not seeing Haruhi Suzumiya in the lead girl character, haha. I'm looking forward to seeing more episodes!
Apr 9, 2010 9:36 AM

Sep 2008
So nothing introduced other than "you are dead"...

The first 3/4 were so boring I thought I was goona drop this crap.. hopefully it gets better..
Apr 9, 2010 2:41 PM

Apr 2009
Loved it. Animation was okay, Music was awesome, and Characters are interesting.

I'll give this a 4/5. Can't wait to see what happens next.

"Free Falcon Punch for Everybody!"|Nani?|MCC Badge|
Apr 9, 2010 7:02 PM

Nov 2007
Reminds me a lot about Haruhi. The ED is pretty good.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Apr 10, 2010 12:45 AM

Mar 2008
3 out of 5: It was OK (your vote)

Time to see if episode 2 lives up to the expectations I had for this anime. At the very least, it'll have the Lia opening
Apr 10, 2010 4:12 PM
Jul 2008
I love the insert song and ED! Poor introduction of the characters though, but funny first mission they had.
Apr 10, 2010 11:37 PM

Jul 2009
This was way too fast paced. And I don't get the atmosphere. Let's see how things go on episode 2.
Apr 11, 2010 1:12 PM

Jul 2009
A very strange anime XD
But the anime is okay...
maybe it will be better :D
Apr 11, 2010 2:33 PM

Aug 2008
I went through: like WTF then Lol wut? Then eeeeh? Mode(s).
Apr 11, 2010 7:41 PM

Dec 2009
I still don't get how you guys compare Yuri to Haruhi. I still don't see much similarities apart from the hair accesory and that they're the leader of a group.
Apr 17, 2010 3:47 PM

Mar 2010
It was good. Can't say much since it's only the first episode but it did interest me.
I'll keep on watching this hoping it will meet my expectations.
Apr 18, 2010 3:07 PM

May 2009
it looked okay and the sotryline seemed a little confusing at first but i'm sure i can get used to it cause well... it made Clannad,Air and Kanon :P so yeah overall the story seems okay, i really want to see who the Angels are and what god would look like
Apr 19, 2010 7:23 AM

Oct 2009
The animation is really impressive. I liked the scenes featuring the girl band onstage. Their movements were so fluid and natural for anime characters.

Anyways, the first episode was pretty fast-paced, but I'm going to keep watching. And I've heard Yurippe and Haruhi being compared. Yurippe has a milder temperament than Haruhi does, and she's not a wacko, so she'll never replace my Haruhi-sama. :3
Pages (14) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 25, 2010

1752 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 23, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

662 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:41 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 28, 2010

565 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:13 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 21, 2010

388 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - May 14, 2010

538 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 9:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.