Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Shin is one of the best male mcs in recent years in LN adaptations(This thread has spoilers from LN)

86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 24, 2021 1:51 AM
Jul 2018
Shin has become one of my favourite male protagonists (who's of course OP) in recent years.I know a lot of people called him one dimensional and the stoic hero archetype but let him change your mind himself.What do you expect from a 16yo ptsd stricken war veteran who carries all his comrades who have been lost in battle with him anyway?He's like a mecha riding Levi with a side of schizophrenia,fighting along the beats of the voices of the undead.As I said I have grown attached to him quite a bit.
P.S.Yes I have read the LNs(upto date with the english translation) and no I am not spoiling anything.But give the LNs a chance.You won't be disappointed by Shin.I can gurantee that.
removed-userAug 24, 2021 7:09 AM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 24, 2021 2:08 AM

Apr 2021
Yes he's much more realistic than most of the MCs I've seen.
Aug 24, 2021 2:21 AM
Jan 2021
He could even go harem route
Aug 24, 2021 2:25 AM

Apr 2016
The moment you mentiond Levi you lost me.
Aug 24, 2021 3:41 AM

Feb 2019
Using PTSD to excuse the bastard's lack of personality is both an immature and offensive misunderstanding of the condition.

If you can get attached to that complete literary failure, you must be as shallow as he is.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Aug 24, 2021 4:10 AM
Jul 2018
Thigh_Tide said:
Using PTSD to excuse the bastard's lack of personality is both an immature and offensive misunderstanding of the condition.

If you can get attached to that complete literary failure, you must be as shallow as he is.

As a person with C-PTSD,let me tell you something,we have a lot to deal with inside our head.We don't need to overcome our emotional numbing and barriers we have built to keep our trauma responses in,just so people like you can think we have a personality.Also as obnoxious as you sound,even you should know it's offensive to assume all of us will behave the exact same way after surviving whatever major trauma that gave us our condition.
But even if you disagree on Shin being a good charecter or overall credibility of 86,his arc actually portrays a major trauma response realistically.That is Freezing.Being stuck,unable to move forward,imagine his future,isolating himself from his acquaintances thinking it's best for them.This conflict resolution was done in a haphazard way.But in no way it's a bad portrayal.In fact I think Shin is too good for his own series.If there's no romance and we spent more time inside his head,he'd have more depth to his development..
removed-userAug 24, 2021 5:02 AM
Aug 24, 2021 4:19 AM
Jul 2018
Swagernator said:
The moment you mentiond Levi you lost me.

He has some surface level similarities with Levi.Humanity's strongest soldier against Legion,using his bloodline's power to fight the enemy,extremely op,looks stoic and disinterested but would sacrifice himself for his comrades etc etc.Even if you dislike Levi,you could end up liking Shin.Who knows!
removed-userAug 24, 2021 4:34 AM
Aug 24, 2021 4:56 AM
Dec 2020
Thigh_Tide said:

PTSD has little to no correlation with personality I don’t have it, but 4-6 years back I remember my parents letting me talk to a homeless Desert war vet who had PTSD. He got around town in an electric wheelchair because he refused to get into a car or plane and almost never talked to anyone. In the last 2-4 years for comparison I have seen a bunch of homeless vets in the city I live in most of which couldn't care less about anything to include their own lives causing them to do anything to make enough money to feed themselves or end themselves. PTSD isn't a joke and can't easily be sterotyped and the very fact that it is treated as such is why so many vets become homeless or end up offing themselves
Being human is making mistakes.
Aug 24, 2021 4:59 AM

Feb 2019
Exotic_sprinkle said:
Thigh_Tide said:

As a person with C-PTSD,let me tell you something,we have a lot to deal with inside our head.We don't need to overcome our emotional numbing and barriers we have built to keep our trauma responses in,just so people like you can think we have a personality.Also as obnoxious as you sound,even you should know it's offensive to assume all of us will behave the exact same way after surviving whatever major trauma that gave us our condition.
But even if you disagree on Shin being a good charecter or overall credibility of 86,his arc actually portrays a major trauma response realistically.That is Freezing.Being stuck,unable to move forward,imagine his future,isolating him from his acquaintances thinking it's best for them.This conflict resolution was done in a haphazard way.But in no way it's a bad portrayal.In fact I think Shin is too good for his own series.If there's no romance and we spent more time inside his head,he'd have more depth to his development..

You have misunderstood. Having PTSD is not having a lack of personality. Shin as an individual has no personality, and attempting to excuse this by citing PTSD is inaccurate to both the condition and to the nature of characterisation. It's less using trauma to develop an interesting and meaningful character, but relying on it to divert from the lack of thought put into the writing.

You yourself have pointed out how the series fails to handle its own narrative and doesn't delve at all into an internal quandary, and that's just further indicative of the failure on the author's part to effectively construct both him or the work as a whole. He's inconsistent, he's ill-defined, he's passive and he fails to develop. That's not a good character, and that's not PTSD.
Aug 24, 2021 5:05 AM

Feb 2019
Ikarus101 said:
Thigh_Tide said:

PTSD has little to no correlation with personality I don’t have it, but 4-6 years back I remember my parents letting me talk to a homeless Desert war vet who had PTSD. He got around town in an electric wheelchair because he refused to get into a car or plane and almost never talked to anyone. In the last 2-4 years for comparison I have seen a bunch of homeless vets in the city I live in most of which couldn't care less about anything to include their own lives causing them to do anything to make enough money to feed themselves or end themselves. PTSD isn't a joke and can't easily be sterotyped and the very fact that it is treated as such is why so many vets become homeless or end up offing themselves

Yes, that's essentially what I was getting at. Simplifying PTSD into a way to excuse superficial characters like the OP did is horribly and shockingly disrespectful to those suffering with the condition.
Aug 24, 2021 5:12 AM
Dec 2020
Thigh_Tide said:
Ikarus101 said:

Yes, that's essentially what I was getting at. Simplifying PTSD into a way to excuse superficial characters like the OP did is horribly and shockingly disrespectful to those suffering with the condition.
Its hard to explain any mental illness perfectly a very common illness example being hard to explain would be autism, because of all the different ways it can affect someone. You could get "lucky" and end up having it and not getting the negative end of it being the side of autism that makes learning so much harder or you become a genius another. The usage of PTSD with shin by the author was indeed immature at best, although this forum title isn't exactly wrong. Most recent years mc's have been so bad that I wouldn't doubt if they were to be included in a seen where a women was stripped down completely they would probably ask something along the lines of "What are you doing?" while blushing
Being human is making mistakes.
Aug 24, 2021 5:17 AM

Oct 2015
Dude, everyone else at the squadron got PTSD too in all likelihood, they still have distinct characteristics, however unexplored they may be. I get that he hears scary voices or whatever, but that doesn't deprive you of your spirit.

I like Raiden, he's like discount Lancer (Diarmuid not Cu Chulainn). That outfit is really unflattering to him though, the show needs to get him something sexier.

Aug 24, 2021 5:28 AM

Jul 2015
Hardly.
He is just yet another generic OP Gary Stu light novel protagonist with no personality.
Basically yet another Kirito Clone, but not that bad.

This is excusable, because Milize is supposed to be an actual protagonist of this series and she works out very well.

Aug 24, 2021 6:05 AM
Jul 2018
Piromysl said:
Hardly.
He is just yet another generic OP Gary Stu light novel protagonist with no personality.

This is excusable, because Milize is supposed to be an actual protagonist of this series and she works out very well.

Wrong.Don't go spreading misinformation.Milize and Nouzen are both actual protagonists of this series.In fact I'll say Shin has a much much bigger impact on the storyline both in the future and present.Without Shin the 86 and Lena will be nowhere.Tbh I sometimes find Lena to be idealistic to the point of bring naive.Her treatment of Shin and his ptsd was problematic af at times.And her white saviour complex with the whole 86 is the one complain I have with 86 in general.So no,Milize definitely doesn’t work out very well as the FMC.If you think Shin is a kirito clone and Lena is well written we read a different LN altogether.
Aug 24, 2021 6:15 AM

Jul 2015
Exotic_sprinkle said:
Piromysl said:
Hardly.

Wrong.Don't go spreading misinformation.Milize and Nouzen are both actual protagonists of this series.In fact I'll say Shin has a much much bigger impact on the storyline both in the future and present.Without Shin the 86 and Lena will be nowhere.Tbh I sometimes find Lena to be idealistic to the point of bring naive.Her treatment of Shin and his ptsd was problematic af at times.And her white saviour complex with the whole 86 is the one complain I have with 86 in general.So no,Milize definitely doesn’t work out very well as the FMC.If you think Shin is a kirito clone and Lena is well written we read a different LN altogether.

You know it's entirely subjective, right?

Aug 24, 2021 6:17 AM
Jul 2018
Auron_ said:
Dude, everyone else at the squadron got PTSD too in all likelihood, they still have distinct characteristics, however unexplored they may be. I get that he hears scary voices or whatever, but that doesn't deprive you of your spirit.

I like Raiden, he's like discount Lancer (Diarmuid not Cu Chulainn). That outfit is really unflattering to him though, the show needs to get him something sexier.

That I can agree with.The squad is too interesting and should be given more screentime.I like Raiden both charecter design and back story wise.(It's not explored in the anime.)I hope we get at least one volume dedicated to him.

Now about that first part,if hearing undead voices 24/7 for 5years and killing 567 comrades by shooting them in the head do not rob you of your spirit,are you even human?Of course the rest of the squad seem somehow more human and spirited.They aren’t putting down their comrades and they know Shin,their reaper will carry them to their final destination.
Aug 24, 2021 6:23 AM
Jul 2018
Piromysl said:
Exotic_sprinkle said:

You know it's entirely subjective, right?

No.It's not up for debate if you have read the LN.Shin is THE definitive protagonist by the way the story is progressing with Lena being his foil.Without him,the spearhead,86 and the entire human vs legion war plot wouldn’t even work.He carries all the fighting sequences of this entire series on his back ffs.And Lena's writing can't escape the benevolent white saviour trope.It is what it is.
removed-userAug 24, 2021 6:28 AM
Aug 24, 2021 6:37 AM
Jul 2018
Ikarus101 said:
Thigh_Tide said:

Its hard to explain any mental illness perfectly a very common illness example being hard to explain would be autism, because of all the different ways it can affect someone. You could get "lucky" and end up having it and not getting the negative end of it being the side of autism that makes learning so much harder or you become a genius another. The usage of PTSD with shin by the author was indeed immature at best, although this forum title isn't exactly wrong. Most recent years mc's have been so bad that I wouldn't doubt if they were to be included in a seen where a women was stripped down completely they would probably ask something along the lines of "What are you doing?" while blushing

This is what I was saying.Male Mcs have been incredibly badly written in the recent few years.Shin isn't without his problems but I have far more problems with Lena's writing than Shin's tbh.The way Shin kept retreating because of his trauma and Lena's only response was always driving him up against a wall without giving him any space or consideration until he gives up and made it all about herself.The entire scenario was set up as a gag where everybody kept blaming shin because he's such a boy.But that's the worst way for resolution of any plot involving PTSD.I can gurantee you from personal experience the way it's resolved would never work out.

But the thing is Shin actually IS one of the best mcs in recent years.I am not even sure people who are disagreeing have actually read the source material or his inner monologues.Those are one of the best parts of this series for me.And hks charecter does progress a lot no matter how immature the handling of his issues is at times.
removed-userAug 24, 2021 6:51 AM
Aug 24, 2021 6:38 AM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
I found him okay. He was too Shallow in the Anime to leave a deep Impresison on me imo. Maybe i'll like him more after the 2nd part comes out.

smoochie smoochie

Aug 24, 2021 6:46 AM
Jul 2018
MonkeeDan said:
I found him okay. He was too Shallow in the Anime to leave a deep Impresison on me imo. Maybe i'll like him more after the 2nd part comes out.

He gets a lot of inner monologues in volume 2,3,5 and 6.So I am assuming you'll understand his charecter a bit better in season 2.Or you'll end up disliking him even more lol.
Aug 24, 2021 6:48 AM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
Exotic_sprinkle said:
MonkeeDan said:

He gets a lot of inner monologues in volume 2,3,5 and 6.So I am assuming you'll understand his charecter a bit better in season 2.Or you'll end up disliking him even more lol.

It will probably lead to me liking him more, dont see why i should dislike him since i think it wont be some Bullshit Character development.

smoochie smoochie

Aug 24, 2021 6:55 AM
Dec 2019
When you say "best in recent years" - do you mean "best" overall, for action shows, for light novel (adaptions)?

Also, bringing monologues not adapted in the anime into the discussion is tricky, because what hasn't been adapted is hard to value and not everyone in an anime forum is going to read the novel.
Aug 24, 2021 6:55 AM
Jul 2018
Exotic_sprinkle said:
Shin has become one of my favourite male protagonists (who's of course OP) in recent years.I know a lot of people called him one dimensional and the stoic hero archetype but let him change your mind himself.What do you expect from a 16yo ptsd stricken war veteran who carries all his comrades who have been lost in battle with him anyway?He's like a mecha riding Levi with a side of schizophrenia,fighting along the beats of the voices of the undead.As I said I have grown attached to him quite a bit.
P.S.Yes I have read the LNs(upto date with the english translation) and no I am not spoiling anything.But give the LNs a chance.You won't be disappointed by Shin.I can gurantee that.

I would compare Shin to Heero Yuy, Setsuna F Seiei and Mikazuki Augus as they are also emotiless child soldiers and mecha pilots who have a naive and idealistic girl who influences them. But I agree, Shin is by far my favorite character in LN, his development was great and he in volume 7 is already unrecognizable
Aug 24, 2021 6:56 AM
Jul 2018
MonkeeDan said:
Exotic_sprinkle said:

It will probably lead to me liking him more, dont see why i should dislike him since i think it wont be some Bullshit Character development.

It's a bit spoilery I guess.But when we do get inside his head,some people hated it.He's cynical,jaded,sometimes borderline apathetic and mostly rushing towards his death.And he is too op sometimes.Compared to his pov Lena's and other 86 seem cheerful,idealistic and naive.I hope you end up liking him more like I did.
Aug 24, 2021 7:01 AM
Jul 2018
Seemed like just another bland character to me.
Aug 24, 2021 7:02 AM
Jul 2018
Sylverthas said:
When you say "best in recent years" - do you mean "best" overall, for action shows, for light novel (adaptions)?

Also, bringing monologues not adapted in the anime into the discussion is tricky, because what hasn't been adapted is hard to value and not everyone in an anime forum is going to read the novel.

For light novel adap. of course.Should have stated that.

I agree with you.I was actually talking about the anime at first.But people kept bringing up the LNs into the convo.Like how he's a generic LN protagonist,how his charecter doesn't progress in the LNs or how he's a kirito clone.So I had to talk a bit about LN too.
Aug 24, 2021 7:03 AM
Jul 2018
Thigh_Tide said:
Exotic_sprinkle said:

But even if you disagree on Shin being a good charecter or overall credibility of 86,his arc actually portrays a major trauma response realistically.That is Freezing.Being stuck,unable to move forward,imagine his future,isolating him from his acquaintances thinking it's best for them.This conflict resolution was done in a haphazard way.But in no way it's a bad portrayal.In fact I think Shin is too good for his own series.If there's no romance and we spent more time inside his head,he'd have more depth to his development..

You have misunderstood. Having PTSD is not having a lack of personality. Shin as an individual has no personality, and attempting to excuse this by citing PTSD is inaccurate to both the condition and to the nature of characterisation. It's less using trauma to develop an interesting and meaningful character, but relying on it to divert from the lack of thought put into the writing.

You yourself have pointed out how the series fails to handle its own narrative and doesn't delve at all into an internal quandary, and that's just further indicative of the failure on the author's part to effectively construct both him or the work as a whole. He's inconsistent, he's ill-defined, he's passive and he fails to develop. That's not a good character, and that's not PTSD.
What does it mean to have no personality? I've been told this many times. Being in the corner reading books, mulling over traumatic pasts, difficulties in expressing emotions, and failed social interaction mean having no personality? If yes, people like him exists in real world, and i am one of them
Aug 24, 2021 7:29 AM
Jul 2018
Thigh_Tide said:
Ikarus101 said:

I am suffering with this condition or a certain variant of it.I never found Shin's potrayal to be neither shocking nor remotely disrespectful to my condition and suffering.In fact I understand his struggles to some degree and that makes him endearing to me.

Of course my response to certain social situation won't be like a normal person who has never experienced a major trauma.My trauma influenced certain facets of my personality that's visible to other people.

If I seem apathetic at times,can't open up to people,can't carry on a convo therefore remain passive in social situations,according to you that's a lack of personality and superficiality on my behalf and I am using my C-PTSD as an excuse to hide my lack of personality and that's offending to other C-PTSD sufferers?!!!Dude,just stop speaking on our behalf.You are way over your head.You have no idea what it means to have ptsd.You are grossly generalizing us and calling some trauma responses lack of personality and repeatedly trying to tell me,a C-PTSD sufferer,what is offending and shocking to my community!!
removed-userAug 24, 2021 7:41 AM
Aug 24, 2021 7:52 AM

Nov 2019
If you narrow it down by so much saying recent years and ln adapted anime then ig you could be right cause in recent years(last1-2years) there haven't been any memorable ln adapted anime or characters.I personally don't think he is that great of a mc seen that kinda trope many times in animes but he isn't bad or unbearable by any means
Aug 24, 2021 8:05 AM

Feb 2019
Exotic_sprinkle said:
Thigh_Tide said:

I am suffering with this condition.I never found Shin's potrayal to be neither shocking nor remotely disrespectful to my condition and suffering.Of course my response to certain social situation won't be like a normal person who has never experienced a major trauma.My trauma affected certain facets of my personality that's visible to other people.If I seem apathetic at times,can't open up to people and can't carry on a convo,according to you that's a lack of personality and superficiality and I am using my C-PTSD as an excuse to hide my lack of personality and that's offending to other C-PTSD sufferers?!!!Dude,just stop speaking on our behalf.You are way over your head.You have no idea what it means to have ptsd.You are grossly generalizing us and calling some trauma responses lack of personality and repeatedly trying to tell me,a C-PTSD sufferer,what is offending and shocking to my community.

You have again completely misunderstood what I said, to an even more comical degree than last time.

I never said that having PTSD is a lack of personality. In my previous response I explicitly wrote, "Having PTSD is not having a lack of personality." The fact that you interpret the complete opposite is slanderous and disgusting.

You additionally bring up many details about your behaviour - not being able to carry on a conversation, reading in the corner, being apathetic and inexpressive - and you say that "according to me" that is not having a personality. I never said that. Those are your own mistaken assumptions of what the term means. It's an unintentional straw man.

In the sense of fictional characters, to not have a personality is to lack the elements that flesh them out as a person and dictate their later actions. For instance, not being given goals and desires outside of basic amenities, not having any distinguishing traits that seperate them from the rest of the cast, and not having any meaningful presence or investment in the events unfolding. That is where Shin lies, and that is the part I am critiquing.

As I have already said, and you fail to get your head around, the issue is that Shin is a badly written character. Irrespective of his informed trauma, he lacks agency, depth and development. This is not due to PTSD, this is due to Asato Asato being incapable of making a compelling work.

Furthermore it is not his presence portrayal that is offensive to PTSD survivors, but your interpretation of his literary flaws being a direct result of the condition that is offensive. You are delegitimising both your own community and the lengths one must go to to accurately and respectfully portray it in media.
O_T_TAug 24, 2021 8:09 AM
Aug 24, 2021 8:39 AM

May 2021
Piromysl said:
Hardly.

But would you say Milize is any better than Shin as a protagonist? If Shin is a generic Gary Stu then Milize is also a goody two shows who doesn't have much to offer as a character. But she's cute ig.
Aug 24, 2021 8:58 AM

Jul 2015
MuZe- said:
Piromysl said:
Hardly.

But would you say Milize is any better than Shin as a protagonist? If Shin is a generic Gary Stu then Milize is also a goody two shows who doesn't have much to offer as a character. But she's cute ig.

Shin is the most generic archetype of a modern LN protagonist, who excels at everything, is "cool and level headed". It's almost like he is a self insert and we have seen this thing in 3/4 LNs already. There is literally nothing unique about this guy and I honestly don't understand what people see in him.

Milize is a naive kid with delusions of grandeur, which may eventually evolve into pathological altruism.
We are yet to see whether she will be willing to risk her position, status and privileges as a result of repercussions for sympathizing with 86 and so far, she has shown the signs, that she is doing this merely for her own self-gratification. She also is manipulative and shows disregard towards others in pursuit of her own goals.
That's an complex and interesting character with a severe flaws, that would impact the progression of the story and shows a lot of potential for character devolopement. Those two are incomparable.

I'll honestly vote Milize as the best protagonist of 2021 so far.

Aug 24, 2021 9:20 AM
Jul 2018
Piromysl said:
MuZe- said:

Shin is the most generic archetype of a modern LN protagonist, who excels at everything, is "cool and level headed". It's almost like he is a self insert and we have seen this thing in 3/4 LNs already. There is literally nothing unique about this guy and I honestly don't understand what people see in him.

Milize is a naive kid with delusions of grandeur, which may eventually evolve into pathological altruism.
We are yet to see whether she will be willing to risk her position, status and privileges as a result of repercussions for sympathizing with 86 and so far, she has shown the signs, that she is doing this merely for her own self-gratification. She also is manipulative and shows disregard towards others in pursuit of her own goals.
That's an complex and interesting character with a severe flaws, that would impact the progression of the story and shows a lot of potential for character devolopement. Those two are incomparable.

Lena as well as Shin enter a very common archetype of mecha protagonists. The cold, emotionless, ruthless and extremely rational mecha pilot and the kind-hearted, naive, idealistic princess who wants to change the cruel world but knows nothing about it. Also, he said Shin in LN not in Anime. I agree with you that shin is nothing special in the anime that only adapted 1 volume, but he is amazing in LN
removed-userAug 24, 2021 9:23 AM
Aug 24, 2021 9:24 AM

May 2021
Piromysl said:
MuZe- said:

I highly doubt Lena's overall nature would change, she'll stay kind and gentle even if she does realize that her ideals are naive and the world is unjust. About the part about her doing all this for her self-gratification, there are so many characters who do good stuff but ultimately it's for their own selfish reasons and goals. This isn't anything unique.

Anyway, I don't particularly like Shin either. Same for the other 86 characters, I am indifferent. I was trying to understand your thought process on these characters.
Aug 24, 2021 11:27 AM
Jul 2018
Piromysl said:
MuZe- said:

Oh I get it another Lena simp.It's totally understandable how you are ignoring her generic white saviour archetype and flaws citing them as massive room for improvement.While Shin who has human flaws and massive trauma in his past,has literally improved over 8 volumes and is almost unrecognizable by the end of volume 8 gets dissed by you because you think his anti social tendencies and ptsd equal to having no personality.You are literally disliking him for doing his job and being a good protagonist.His action and esper power carry the series forward.He's a child soldier who sought glory and pride in death learn to live with his trauma,learns to let people in and finally leaves the battle field in his mind.If Asato has written one good charecter worth mentioning in 86 it's definitely Shin.There's a lot to love here.Honestly I am proud of him.

Also let's not forget how Asato Asato literally tried to fight racism with 86 but used exactly the same white saviour archetype for the FMC.All she does is command 86 staying within her safety net,treats them as human beings instead of subhumanoid pigs and gets heralded as the queen of 86.The white woman who saves the oppressed masses.That's not good writing.That's following white people fantasy stereotype 101.If anything Asato Asato is self inserting herself into Lena.That's your best charecter of 2021.A literal generic af white saviour waifu bait you are trying too desperately to give hidden layers to because she has none.You are too predictable.Tbh I should have known when you were trying to dislike Shin too hard that you’d hype Lena up and sure enough.Honestly you are the only one who sees these non existent depths because you like that blandass white bread lmao.That's it.
removed-userAug 24, 2021 11:50 AM
Aug 24, 2021 11:53 AM

Jul 2015
Exotic_sprinkle said:
Piromysl said:

Oh I get it another Lena simp.It's totally understandable how you are ignoring her generic white saviour archetype and flaws citing them as massive room for improvement.While Shin who has human flaws and massive trauma in his past,has literally improved over 8 volumes and is almost unrecognizable by the end of volume 8 gets dissed by you because you think his anti social tendencies and ptsd equal to having no personality.You are literally disliking him for doing his job and being a good protagonist.His action and esper power carry the series forward.He's a child soldier who sought glory and pride in death learn to live with his trauma,learns to let people in and finally leaves the battle field in his mind.If Asato has written one good charecter worth mentioning in 86 it's definitely Shin.There's a lot to love here.Honestly I am proud of him.

Also let's not forget how Asato Asato literally tried to fight racism with 86 but used exactly the same white saviour archetype for the FMC.All she does is command 86 staying within her safety net,treats them as human beings instead of subhumanoid pigs and gets heralded as the queen of 86.The white woman who saves the oppressed masses.That's not good writing.That's following white people fantasy stereotype 101.If anything Asato Asato is self inserting herself into Lena.That's your best charecter of 2021.A literal white saviour waifu bait you are trying too desperately to give hidden layers to because she has none.You are too predictable.Tbh I should have known when you were trying to dislike Shin too hard that you’d hype Lena up and sure enough.

Why exactly do you get emotional?

Anyway, you trying to somehow racialise a debate about whether a fictional character is well written or not, somehow points out her skin colour like it relevant to anything, and being upset over someone daring to consider a "white girl" a well written female character, makes me think, that it is not really worth talking with you.

Aug 24, 2021 12:06 PM
Jul 2018
Piromysl said:
Exotic_sprinkle said:

Also let's not forget how Asato Asato literally tried to fight racism with 86 but used exactly the same white saviour archetype for the FMC.All she does is command 86 staying within her safety net,treats them as human beings instead of subhumanoid pigs and gets heralded as the queen of 86.The white woman who saves the oppressed masses.That's not good writing.That's following white people fantasy stereotype 101.If anything Asato Asato is self inserting herself into Lena.That's your best charecter of 2021.A literal white saviour waifu bait you are trying too desperately to give hidden layers to because she has none.You are too predictable.Tbh I should have known when you were trying to dislike Shin too hard that you’d hype Lena up and sure enough.

Why exactly do you get emotional?

Anyway, you trying to somehow racialise a debate about whether a fictional character is well written or not and somehow points out her skin colour like it relevant to anything makes me think, that it is not really worth talking with you.

Oh really lmao..Which series were you reading?!The series where white people(Lena's race) treat ethnic minorities as genetically inferior subhumanoid pigs(which shin is a part of)because of their skin,eye and hair colour?I am not supposed to bring out her skin colour and call her a white saviour archetype when that's the only thing she is?You have the gall to be offended because I brought up her skin colour while her race committed genocide based on skin colour?I am laughing so hard.

You are right.I should never have tried to explain anything.You are actually dissing the real oppressed hero of the series who has a real fleshed out personality,a traumatic past that haunts him,an interesting set of abilities and shows real signs of charecter development throughout the series and wondering why people sympathise with him all the while simping over the white saviour archetype-goodie two shoes-done to death tropey waifubait and telling me she's a well written charecter.While you mentioned how bad Asato's writing is two paragraphs ago.Well I don't speak simp.So goodbye.
removed-userAug 24, 2021 12:13 PM
Aug 24, 2021 12:23 PM
Jul 2018
MuZe- said:
Piromysl said:
Hardly.

His thought process doesn’t make any sense.He thinks Shin is a badly written protagonist because he displays all the badass mecha pilot tropes,has trauma in his past and does his job too well.But when it comes to Lena he thinks all the generic tropes Lena displays are unique and she's special because of it.In other words simping too hard.By his logic every OP charecter who does his job well and has inner conflicts are generic.
Aug 24, 2021 2:30 PM
Jan 2021
Thigh_Tide said:
Exotic_sprinkle said:

You also have to note what he’s been through up until that point, stuff happening in peoples lives can drastically change there personality. In Shin’s case he was normal and has personality until everything went wrong which really traumatized him
Aug 24, 2021 4:52 PM

Dec 2019
I really like the show, and I liked shin as well, but he’s just a generic edgy trope. Nothing special really imo
Aug 25, 2021 6:26 AM
Dec 2020
I like his character alot but one of the best in recent years is a bit of a stretch (Non LN reader)
Aug 30, 2021 9:58 PM
Jun 2020
Thigh_Tide said:

He was not emotionless when he was a kid for sure

He became emotionless because of the war

He showed a psychotic attitude when he finally found his brother

He was crying so hard when he achieved his goal

And then finally we see him showed a very peaceful face and was engaging more and laughing with his comrades.

Did we watched the same show?
Aug 31, 2021 4:35 AM

Feb 2019
addie1998 said:
Thigh_Tide said:

And then finally we see him showed a very peaceful face and was engaging more and laughing with his comrades.

I defined what a personality constitutes for a fictional character earlier in this thread. None of what you have listed demonstrated Shin having a personality.
Aug 31, 2021 4:47 AM
Jun 2020
Thigh_Tide said:
addie1998 said:

I defined what a personality constitutes for a fictional character earlier in this thread. None of what you have listed demonstrated Shin having a personality.

Personality refers to individual differences in characteristic patterns of thinking, feeling and behaving.
Are u drunk dude? 🤣 okay

-Shin feels that it his responsibility to shoulder the deaths of his comrades. He had always been the last and only person left alive until he had met Raiden Shuga. Thus, even after meeting a companion that could survive along side him, he always felt it was his duty as the survivor to silently carry the tags of the fallen to his final destination.Even once letting go of his comrades on the border between San Magnolia and Giad, he still uses their deaths as an excuse to return to the battlefield. Shin's ability to hear the voices of the Legion places enormous mental strain on him even when he has become accustomed to listening to the constant wails of the dead. The weight of both his responsibilities and the effects of his ability have contributed to his stoic nature and lack of mirth.

-Shin has a strong desire to protect his companions, even if he sometimes does it in the wrong way. This is demonstrated in when he chooses to face the Shepherd alone to put his brother to rest, as well as when he forcibly takes control of the Spearhead Squadron's last Juggernaut and attempts to hold off the Legion so that the rest of his squadron can escape to Federacy territory.

-In contrast, he has a distinct lack of care for himself. He compares himself to the Legion, calling himself a ghost, aimless and wandering like the Legion that had lost their country.Consequently, he often throws himself into dangerous situations without regard for his own safety, somehow surviving through luck and combat skill. This tendency grows worse in Run Through the Battlefront. After he had put his brother to death, he had not particularly cared about his own life.He began to care about his survival again once he had a wish he wanted to fulfil, which was to take Lena to see the ocean together. This wish, coupled with the realization brought upon by the Sirins during the siege of Revich, made him reflect on his near suicidal fighting style.

-Shin is known to be an avid reader, reading various types of books to take his mind off of the voices of the Legion. He has a dismissive attitude towards maintaining the condition of his Juggernaut, an aspect of his that leads to many arguments with Chief Mechanic Lev Aldrecht.

If this still doesn't demonstrate his personality and i don't know anymore ...
addie1998Aug 31, 2021 5:03 AM
Aug 31, 2021 5:28 AM

Feb 2019
addie1998 said:
Thigh_Tide said:

Personality refers to individual differences in characteristic patterns of thinking, feeling and behaving.
Are u drunk dude? 🤣 okay

-Shin feels that it his responsibility to shoulder the deaths of his comrades. He had always been the last and only person left alive until he had met Raiden Shuga. Thus, even after meeting a companion that could survive along side him, he always felt it was his duty as the survivor to silently carry the tags of the fallen to his final destination.Even once letting go of his comrades on the border between San Magnolia and Giad, he still uses their deaths as an excuse to return to the battlefield. Shin's ability to hear the voices of the Legion places enormous mental strain on him even when he has become accustomed to listening to the constant wails of the dead. The weight of both his responsibilities and the effects of his ability have contributed to his stoic nature and lack of mirth.

-Shin has a strong desire to protect his companions, even if he sometimes does it in the wrong way. This is demonstrated in when he chooses to face the Shepherd alone to put his brother to rest, as well as when he forcibly takes control of the Spearhead Squadron's last Juggernaut and attempts to hold off the Legion so that the rest of his squadron can escape to Federacy territory.

-In contrast, he has a distinct lack of care for himself. He compares himself to the Legion, calling himself a ghost, aimless and wandering like the Legion that had lost their country.Consequently, he often throws himself into dangerous situations without regard for his own safety, somehow surviving through luck and combat skill. This tendency grows worse in Run Through the Battlefront. After he had put his brother to death, he had not particularly cared about his own life.He began to care about his survival again once he had a wish he wanted to fulfil, which was to take Lena to see the ocean together. This wish, coupled with the realization brought upon by the Sirins during the siege of Revich, made him reflect on his near suicidal fighting style.

-Shin is known to be an avid reader, reading various types of books to take his mind off of the voices of the Legion. He has a dismissive attitude towards maintaining the condition of his Juggernaut, an aspect of his that leads to many arguments with Chief Mechanic Lev Aldrecht.

If this still doesn't demonstrate his personality and i don't know wtf are u on about...

Again, none of this shows a personality.

The first point you make highlights the author's inability to engender personal development, for instance, as you mention several events that should drastically alter a character's temperament in a well-written piece, but with Shin being a flanderised, empty character, no such changes are made to him. Your second point also shows this, by noting the character settle into the same, repetitive role, another symptom of the author's failure to make him any more profound than a mere archetype. The third comes close to saying something of value, by attributing a short-term goal to him, but this again just highlights that for the majority of the storyline, he had none. This is shallow, plain and simple. And finally, him reading again fails to tell anything of his character, since as you say, he's reading only as a result of his previous, one-note characterisation.

Where you appear to be going wrong is by assuming that facile tropes amount to a well-written character. This is, of course, not the case. As I mentioned earlier, and I referred you towards, Shin's major issues come from his mishandling of his position in the storyline. He is supposed to be the deuteragonist, yet is completely extraneous to much of the narrative. His mindset isn't explored to any degree, we never see any sort of growth, we don't even know what his views on critical aspects of the plot and world.

He's a character with all the depth of a saucer, a bad attempt by a bad creator. But you think that having 2 or 3 stereotypical quirky anime traits equates to good writing, so you're oblivious to that.
Aug 31, 2021 6:02 AM
Jun 2020
Thigh_Tide said:
addie1998 said:

Are u drunk dude? 🤣 okay

If this still doesn't demonstrate his personality and i don't know wtf are u on about...

Again, none of this shows a personality.

The first point you make highlights the author's inability to engender personal development, for instance, as you mention several events that should drastically alter a character's temperament in a well-written piece, but with Shin being a flanderised, empty character, no such changes are made to him. Your second point also shows this, by noting the character settle into the same, repetitive role, another symptom of the author's failure to make him any more profound than a mere archetype. The third comes close to saying something of value, by attributing a short-term goal to him, but this again just highlights that for the majority of the storyline, he had none. This is shallow, plain and simple. And finally, him reading again fails to tell anything of his character, since as you say, he's reading only as a result of his previous, one-note characterisation.

Where you appear to be going wrong is by assuming that facile tropes amount to a well-written character. This is, of course, not the case. As I mentioned earlier, and I referred you towards, Shin's major issues come from his mishandling of his position in the storyline. He is supposed to be the deuteragonist, yet is completely extraneous to much of the narrative. His mindset isn't explored to any degree, we never see any sort of growth, we don't even know what his views on critical aspects of the plot and world.

He's a character with all the depth of a saucer, a bad attempt by a bad creator. But you think that having 2 or 3 stereotypical quirky anime traits equates to good writing, so you're oblivious to that.

Man you really are genius living on his own bubble

I just saw your list and i can't trust anymore of all the things you said 😂👎
addie1998Aug 31, 2021 6:15 AM
Aug 31, 2021 6:26 AM
Jun 2020
Thigh_Tide said:

In the first place why are u even here when you completely drop the show after ep3 it doesn't make any fxxking sense...

And you're here making a bad take when you didn't even finished the show huh? Please stop confusing people my goodness i fall for you 😆
Aug 31, 2021 7:38 AM

Feb 2019
addie1998 said:

This isn't a rebuttal to anything I said. You're trying to disregard my viewpoint, not explaining why you think I'm incorrect. If you're not going to make any further attempts to do so, I will assume that you have accepted that your view is wrong.

This is once more an attempt at disregarding rather than responding. As above, I'll assume you concede until you provide a counterargument.

Furthermore, this is an inherently fallacious point. You are saying that because you disagree with my opinions on other shows, my opinion on this show is incorrect, but that assumes that your own opinions on said other shows are correct, yet nothing suggests that is the case.

addie1998 said:
In the first place why are u even here when you completely drop the show after ep3 it doesn't make any fxxking sense...

You're moving the goalpost. Whether or not you think I should "be here" is irrelevant to whether or not I am right. Not to mention, the fact that you question this rather than returning to the matter at hand suggests you cannot back your view up any longer, which lessens your credibility and further supports mine.

And you're here making a bad take when you didn't even finished the show huh? Please stop confusing people my goodness i fall for you 😆

Again, these aren't rebuttals to anything I said, but attempts at diminishing the entire argument. Nothing suggests I am making a "bad take" or "confusing" people other than you disagreeing, which is, as mentioned, in no way an objective measure of "correct." The same is the case with "not finishing" the show - no part of that means my view is incorrect, but you imply as such in lieu of having any way to further argue your mistaken point.

In short, if you don't have any way to disprove what I said in my previous response, I'll assume you admit you're wrong.
Aug 31, 2021 3:40 PM
Jun 2020
Thigh_Tide said:
addie1998 said:

This isn't a rebuttal to anything I said. You're trying to disregard my viewpoint, not explaining why you think I'm incorrect. If you're not going to make any further attempts to do so, I will assume that you have accepted that your view is wrong.

This is once more an attempt at disregarding rather than responding. As above, I'll assume you concede until you provide a counterargument.

Furthermore, this is an inherently fallacious point. You are saying that because you disagree with my opinions on other shows, my opinion on this show is incorrect, but that assumes that your own opinions on said other shows are correct, yet nothing suggests that is the case.

addie1998 said:

You're moving the goalpost. Whether or not you think I should "be here" is irrelevant to whether or not I am right. Not to mention, the fact that you question this rather than returning to the matter at hand suggests you cannot back your view up any longer, which lessens your credibility and further supports mine.

Again, these aren't rebuttals to anything I said, but attempts at diminishing the entire argument. Nothing suggests I am making a "bad take" or "confusing" people other than you disagreeing, which is, as mentioned, in no way an objective measure of "correct." The same is the case with "not finishing" the show - no part of that means my view is incorrect, but you imply as such in lieu of having any way to further argue your mistaken point.

In short, if you don't have any way to disprove what I said in my previous response, I'll assume you admit you're wrong.

Says the person who gave
High school dxd a 9
Monster musume a 9
Goblin slayer a 9
Cautious hero also a 9
Blame movie a fxxking 9 what?

You dropped hxh aot & vivy wow you're the whole circus dude 🥳
addie1998Aug 31, 2021 3:47 PM
Sep 1, 2021 1:23 AM

Feb 2019
addie1998 said:
Thigh_Tide said:

Says the person who gave
High school dxd a 9
Monster musume a 9
Goblin slayer a 9
Cautious hero also a 9
Blame movie a fxxking 9 what?

You dropped hxh aot & vivy wow you're the whole circus dude 🥳

As I stated last time, the fact that you disagree with my opinions on other anime doesn't mean anything. What is there to prove that the above shows are not 9s? What is there to prove I shouldn't have dropped HxH, AoT and Vivy?

If you do want to discuss those shows, I am willing to hear out what complaints you have with them, and of course, explain why you're wrong. But just stating "oh you disagree with me in all these shows so you're wrong" is just a completely invalid argument. As I said, nothing suggests your opinions are the correct ones.

And in addition to that, the fact that you're once more trying to dodge the existing debate of whether or not Shin is a badly written character further proves that you can no longer defend your point, which means your stance on the matter is wrong.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2021

242 by ILLARX »»
Yesterday, 1:00 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2021

458 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 16, 8:40 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2021

380 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 14, 10:42 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

430 by grizmuth »»
Apr 5, 5:57 PM

» 86 LN starts its Final Arc with the next Light Novel volume 14.

darksideee - Jan 11

24 by SSRSyt »»
Apr 3, 10:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.