Forum Settings
Forums

about the "Japanese" field in the Alternative Titles section

New
Aug 9, 2021 10:19 AM
Jan 2020
Why is it named like that? I've read the DB guidelines and couldn't find anything about it. The name of that field could be misleading if the work's original title is in Chinese or Korean, and it just seems generally odd. After all this site is not only limiting to Japanese works. With more and more Chinese and Korean works added, I think it would be more accurate to change it to something such as "Original Title". Unless is there a reasoning behind all of this? but I can't find any.
Aug 9, 2021 1:08 PM

Jun 2019
Because the site's definition of anime has been expanded to include not just Japanese animation, but animation of East Asian origin in general - specifically Korean and Chinese since that is where most of the rest of it originates from (and Korean animators, for example, even work on a lot of native Japanese language productions in anime, American cartoons, etc.) so there is something of a blending and blurring of the line.

But the site ultimately is still oriented the most toward Japan culturally, Japanese anime comprises the majority of its entries, Japanese people are involved in its operation, and it's an English-language website - When most English-speaking people say and think of anime, they think of Japanese animation; Japanese series and films.

Technically, Korean "anime" is manhwa or aeni and Chinese "anime" is donghua anyway, so even the official title of the website reflects what it's primarily supposed to be oriented toward since its foundation. It's not MyDonghuaList.
Aug 9, 2021 7:48 PM

Oct 2014
WatchTillTandava said:
Because the site's definition of anime has been expanded to include not just Japanese animation, but animation of East Asian origin in general - specifically Korean and Chinese since that is where most of the rest of it originates from (and Korean animators, for example, even work on a lot of native Japanese language productions in anime, American cartoons, etc.) so there is something of a blending and blurring of the line.

But the site ultimately is still oriented the most toward Japan culturally, Japanese anime comprises the majority of its entries, Japanese people are involved in its operation, and it's an English-language website - When most English-speaking people say and think of anime, they think of Japanese animation; Japanese series and films.

Technically, Korean "anime" is manhwa or aeni and Chinese "anime" is donghua anyway, so even the official title of the website reflects what it's primarily supposed to be oriented toward since its foundation. It's not MyDonghuaList.
There's plenty of anime whose original titles weren't even written in Japanese in Japan, like Love Stage, Wixoss, C.L.A.Y., Peut-etre toi, ect. It's just confusing to call it "Japanese" when that's not the purpose of that field. It's a vestige of when MAL only had Japanese anime, but that doesn't mean it should be grandfathered in. It's not a good name for that field. MAL finally renamed the language previously called Brazilian to "Portuguese" so these old inaccuracies don't have to stick around forever.
Aug 9, 2021 8:08 PM

Jun 2019
zombie_pegasus said:
There's plenty of anime whose original titles weren't even written in Japanese in Japan, like Love Stage, Wixoss, C.L.A.Y., Peut-etre toi, ect.

I believe that's a much smaller minority compared to the rest, but even if the title in Japan was and is originally an English or French or Swahili language title, "Japanese" doesn't just have to refer to "Japanese language title". It can rather just serve to indicate the name of the title it was released under in Japan, regardless of which language that title uses - Japanese or any other. "Japanese" can simply mean "Official Japanese release title", which is how I've always taken it. Because it's a site oriented around Japan and the international fandom of a Japanese cultural product/Japanese art. Japanese is a nationality and not only a language, after all. In the same way, if the site was designed to be and remained functionally oriented toward the U.S. and American cultural exports, you could have a section for "U.S" or "American" under titles of any TV series or film or book, and it would still be a reference to national designation rather than language (obviously, since U.S. and American aren't languages).

The vast, vast majority of English-speaking Westerners who use this site think of "Japan" and "Japanese" first or only when referring to anime. It isn't just about appeasing the native Japanese demographic involved in this site. It's how anime is perceived in the Western world and internationally, broadly.
WatchTillTandavaAug 9, 2021 8:13 PM
Aug 9, 2021 9:20 PM

Oct 2014
@WatchTillTandava Funny thing with the American point is that the "English" field is used in the same way, and you have anime like Tsumiki no Ie and Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica where the title under the "English" category isn't in English, since that field actually refers to the license title rather than the translation.

There also are anime like Ling Qi that actually were released officially in Japan after they were released in Chinese and the "Japanese" section doesn't refer to how it was licensed into Japanese but still the original title it had.

I still do think the current way is wrong. I remember one of the staff even saying they wanted to change it to "original title" but just haven't gotten around to it yet. With dongua on the rise, and considering how many of them do get translated into Japanese, changing that field name would make things make more sense.
Aug 10, 2021 3:04 AM

Nov 2013
Because it's too much bother to change the website code to make it "Original title" instead, I guess.
You all need to watch Nami.

Aug 24, 2021 5:32 PM
Jan 2020
WatchTillTandava said:

but if the site is now covering Chinese and Korean works than I thinking they should be put in consideration to when it comes to the naming of a field (function), or else it's going to confuse others just like how it confused me when I first saw it.
Aug 24, 2021 5:46 PM
Jan 2020
zombie_pegasus said:
There also are anime like Ling Qi that actually were released officially in Japan after they were released in Chinese and the "Japanese" section doesn't refer to how it was licensed into Japanese but still the original title it had.

I still do think the current way is wrong. I remember one of the staff even saying they wanted to change it to "original title" but just haven't gotten around to it yet. With dongua on the rise, and considering how many of them do get translated into Japanese, changing that field name would make things make more sense.

I agree, neither "Japanese language title" nor "Japanese released title" works as an explanation when there is a Chinese/Korean title in a field called "Japanese". I really suggest changing it to "original title" or simply split the "Japanese released title" meaning into a separate field.

More topics from this board

» Recently found century old anime

Silverlight41 - 7 hours ago

2 by St0rmblade »»
55 minutes ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

694 by WatchTillTandava »»
4 hours ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8714 by Kwanthemaster »»
Yesterday, 4:25 PM

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ganji_No_Tensai - Mar 30, 2023

759 by deg »»
Yesterday, 9:30 AM

» Ai Mai Mii Surgical Friends special (episode 13)

RayleighW - May 4

2 by Leknaat »»
May 7, 12:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.