Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 2, 2021 7:40 PM
Jul 2021
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Again mixing messy production with interesting execution. Miscommunication between background artists & animators (weird 3DCG & 2D mixing, typing on a surface that has nothing to type on...) but as usual good direction, drawings & strong manga basis make it worthwhile

Animation direction was much stronger compared to the last episode and the characters look right pretty consistently. Except for one detail; compare flashback/ghost Professor Saotome to the one in the OP. I legit can't tell if it's meant to show him as both a benevolent savior and as a harbinger of destruction or if it's an accident. If it's the former and they make him look nicer in flashbacks to show how people see him, or that he's at peace within the Getter, then that's really clever.
Aug 3, 2021 1:08 AM
Jul 2018

i was sobbing and pissing myself over this scene in the manga because my epic gilf is so epic. in the show - pretty underwhelming 🥴

Aug 3, 2021 3:13 AM

Jan 2016
A really nice example of time/budget/production constraints being overcome by the passion of the staff. Even though there's a lot of technical issues (hopefully they'll fix them up in the BD release) the episode itself is a pretty strong midpoint for the show as a whole.
I think someone in the last episode thread mentioned that it's a nice change of pace to not follow the manga 1:1, and I agree so far; Kawagoe has a habit of making his Getter adaptations his own, which can sometimes feel messy, but Arc has little material to work with in the first place so I feel that he's providing much needed enrichment.
Also this ep was full of great fuel for Takuma x Kamui shipping.
Aug 4, 2021 3:43 AM
Dec 2014
tacticalfiend said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
Again mixing messy production with interesting execution. Miscommunication between background artists & animators (weird 3DCG & 2D mixing, typing on a surface that has nothing to type on...) but as usual good direction, drawings & strong manga basis make it worthwhile

Animation direction was much stronger compared to the last episode and the characters look right pretty consistently. Except for one detail; compare flashback/ghost Professor Saotome to the one in the OP. I legit can't tell if it's meant to show him as both a benevolent savior and as a harbinger of destruction or if it's an accident. If it's the former and they make him look nicer in flashbacks to show how people see him, or that he's at peace within the Getter, then that's really clever.

Well, Saotome in the manga was portrayed early on as being a mad, asshole scientist who was obsessed with Getter and defeating threats to humanity. But it seems later on he mellows out once the threats are dealt with.

However the obsession with Getter and lack of focus makes him sink deeper into a madness. That's one of the things with the Getter Robo that occurs. Those who interact with it are gradually driven insane from it's influence.

Also Getter seems to start taking on elements Buddhist philosophy. Some come to the realization and accept what the Getter is, going along with it's insanity, were as others can't accept it and are driven mad. You can see it with Benkei with Getter Dragon. There is something bigger and otherworldly.

Also forgive me if you've read the manga and I'm just explaining what you already know.
Aug 6, 2021 9:00 AM

Dec 2015
Some drawings were drawn in a way that it felt like watching another show.

4/5 Things keep getting more interesting ! This looked almost like a series traditional middle-point with its revelations/intrigue reboot etc.
Aug 12, 2021 4:37 AM
Jul 2021
GenesicKaiser said:
tacticalfiend said:

Well, Saotome in the manga was portrayed early on as being a mad, asshole scientist who was obsessed with Getter and defeating threats to humanity. But it seems later on he mellows out once the threats are dealt with.

However the obsession with Getter and lack of focus makes him sink deeper into a madness. That's one of the things with the Getter Robo that occurs. Those who interact with it are gradually driven insane from it's influence.

Also Getter seems to start taking on elements Buddhist philosophy. Some come to the realization and accept what the Getter is, going along with it's insanity, were as others can't accept it and are driven mad. You can see it with Benkei with Getter Dragon. There is something bigger and otherworldly.

Also forgive me if you've read the manga and I'm just explaining what you already know.

Maybe this is my optimistic outlook speaking, but I personally took Go's ending as the three pilots attaining a true spiritual understanding of the Getter/the nature of the universe as they were becoming one with it (I wouldn't even call it "insanity") while the future in Arc seemed more like humanity's own flawed & selfish understanding of it. Given what the Getter appears to represent, I highly doubt Ishikawa would've come to a clear conclusion that "the will of the universe = conquest and destruction".

But then god knows if he would've ever finished it if he hadn't died in 2006. He did a Majuu Sensen sequel decades later and it sure didn't look like it wrapped things up based on the raws.

heane said:

i was sobbing and pissing myself over this scene in the manga because my epic gilf is so epic. in the show - pretty underwhelming 🥴

Sadly yeah, it lacked that cool Dynamic Pro vibe. I think they saved some of the better animators who can draw Ishikawa characters really well for Takuma's big moment later.
tacticalfiendAug 12, 2021 4:42 AM
Aug 18, 2021 4:57 PM
Jul 2021
STORM!! so, heats will be the 3rd ending theme. cool!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Getter Robo Arc Episode 13 Discussion

GenesicKaiser - Sep 26, 2021

7 by GenesicKaiser »»
Jun 12, 2022 6:07 PM

Poll: » Getter Robo Arc Episode 4 Discussion

tacticalfiend - Aug 2, 2021

3 by TRI_Mike »»
Jun 9, 2022 5:28 PM

Poll: » Getter Robo Arc Episode 3 Discussion

GenesicKaiser - Jul 18, 2021

16 by TRI_Mike »»
Jun 9, 2022 4:56 PM

Poll: » Getter Robo Arc Episode 12 Discussion

GenesicKaiser - Sep 19, 2021

3 by GenesicKaiser »»
Sep 20, 2021 6:28 AM

Poll: » Getter Robo Arc Episode 11 Discussion

GenesicKaiser - Sep 12, 2021

0 by GenesicKaiser »»
Sep 12, 2021 8:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.