Forum Settings
Forums
A Serenade for Pretend Lovers
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2021 9:53 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
I swear to god if this ends with Sayu breaking up with Chizuru to go be with Kei that's gonna be the biggest f u ever lmao

Regardless, finally the dreaded "I'm a better man for you" shoujo cliche has come into play. Here's hoping the words of wisdom from the 2nd ML are, just as in a regular shoujo, going to be used to spur Sayu into properly confronting Chizuru, and not some situation where Sayu can't stop thinking about kei or smth

Seriously though, what has been going on these last few chapters? Remember when this was a cute smut with lots of communication and whatnot? I mean sure from time to time an arc where one of the characters needs to properly communicate their concerns is needed, but it feels like it's been ages since Chizuru was like how he was early on in the series lol
Short_CircutJul 8, 2021 9:56 AM
Jul 10, 2021 4:18 AM
Jun 2021
Damn, this is quite recent, didn't think people still talk about it!

I still feel like the manga lost its way after the first arc. The smut also stopped with the end of it. It is the same story on repeat with another guy with rapist-behaviour that probably will even get rewarded in the end. Kissing a girl in her sleep is so cool and stealing from her is too 😎 !!

The fact ML suddenly stopped confiding in FL and "turned evil" makes no sense and sucks but I think FL being turned into the average meek shoujo princess that is into hot dudes urks me slightly more. Hope it gets resolved fast but it will probably get swept under the rug and everything is puppies and kittens :-).

Manga is waaaay past its prime, sadly.

Jul 10, 2021 10:05 AM

Jul 2017
shutcardboard said:
It is the same story on repeat with another guy with rapist-behaviour that probably will even get rewarded in the end.

nah it definitely is not on that level. Not even close to the actual borderline rape that can be in josei smut lol
Jul 10, 2021 2:15 PM
Jun 2021
Ah, my bad! Forcing yourself on someone that trusted you, as in kissing said someone in their sleep while not wanting it(?) is quite knightly and cute, all the while knowing said someone is in a relationship. I even went for the "rapist-behaviour" since most smut is full on rape to start off but I guess it wasn't at all.

Thanks for sharing your point of view, tho.
Jul 10, 2021 4:22 PM

Jul 2017
shutcardboard said:
Ah, my bad! Forcing yourself on someone that trusted you, as in kissing said someone in their sleep while not wanting it(?) is quite knightly and cute, all the while knowing said someone is in a relationship. I even went for the "rapist-behaviour" since most smut is full on rape to start off but I guess it wasn't at all.

Are you referring to Chizuru or the 2nd ML?
Jul 10, 2021 4:58 PM
Jun 2021
Talking about 2nd ML here, just can't get over how random and badly done that whole part is. But to be honest, I feel as though the author shouldn't have changed Sayo from one chapter to another without any reason. She wouldn't be alone with a guy in the same room and let her guard down when in an established relationship- it just feels like the cheapest of forced drama. It is plain bad writing on the authors part.

Same for ML tho. They talked so much and even with the "distance" thing that was tried to be pushed, it feels inappropriate. Sayo losing her braincells and acting like that and ML regressing to a toddler-like state unable to talk at all. Just am frustrated with this manga for the moment.
Jul 10, 2021 5:39 PM

Jul 2017
shutcardboard said:

Ok, so going back to this post, even with the unnecessary hostility I still stand by my original point.

It's (unfortunately) pretty common in josei smut for the ML's to literally force themselves onto the FL's and treat them poorly sexually, regardless if the FL actually wants to or not, with the justifying being either she for some reason doesn't care or because she's wet therefore she wants it (silly, I know). That is borderline rape/"rapist behavior" because well, the ML is literally sexually assaulting the FL (as in full-on sex). Something like Netafurishitemo, Mudakara is a perfect example of this where hell, the ML literally rapes the FL but she doesn't care because "he's hot and she's in love"

Now comparing it to this, all he has done was give her a soft kiss while she was asleep. Don't get me wrong what the 2nd ML did was scummy as hell given the context, but to classify it on the same level as ML's that are literally penetrating FL's with half-assed consent is absurd. He never forced her into that position, he doesn't start to grope her, doesn't try to feel her up, hell doesn't even pursue the kiss thing any further afterward. By that logic, all the FL's who go for a kiss when the ML is asleep while sick are all showing "rapist behavior"

I share the same frustration with the recent developments yes, no one's calling what he did "knightly and cute" but to classify what the 2nd ML did as "rapist behavior" on the same level as other, far worse ML's is just asinine.
Jul 11, 2021 7:26 AM
Jun 2021
By no means did I want you to think FLs kissing MLs while asleep is okay, sorry. Both should be considered to be sexual harassment at the very least and rape in many other cases- thus the "rapeist behaviour".

I just am of the opinion that changing a strong female lead in a Josei that went through the whole ML forcing himself on her stage already (in this case it was gradually over the filming- thats why it should NOT be compared to these more intense cases) is bad writing and unnecessary. I do see where you are coming from but every Josei is different in intensity but should stay consistent and true to its own established way- in this case FL being a rather strong lead, knowing what she wants. Turning her into an ignorant girl that stays with another man is random and just to create artificial drama. She could easily stay with another woman or in the lobby if there really is no other way.

But, and a big but, saying quote: "he doesn't start to grope her, doesn't try to feel her up, hell doesn't even pursue the kiss thing any further afterward. [...]" is a dangerous mindset. In usual settings where a MC/character kisses another one while sleeping or sick there is some sort of developed relationship maybe even romance. This here is pretty much a stranger that is forcing himself on her while asleep. FL waking up and brushing it off is huge and a massive breach of trust but I wouldn't want to elaborate on that further, as FLs established character is not like that- it was just changed randomly to fit the authors narrative and forced drama.

Finally, I never tried to make anyone think that stranger dude is on the same level as other far worse MLs as you said. But it is nonetheless uncalled for, too random, a cheap way of creating drama and can be categorized as sexual harassment -at the very least-. That is the whole problem here- this "smut" Josei had a whole other intensity. It just randomly changed to push some more chapters.
Jul 11, 2021 9:21 AM

Jul 2017
@shutcardboard

Turning her into an ignorant girl that stays with another man is random and just to create artificial drama. She could easily stay with another woman or in the lobby if there really is no other way.

I do agree Sayu's character destruction, but this instance I don't think Sayu is really in the fault for this particular decision. She was basically coerced by Kei and the manager into accepting the single room, there's no guarantee that there would be another woman available (and willing to share a room) and staying in the lobby seems irrational. Plus as you've mentioned she does trust Kei at the end of the day, it is not just some random man. She even immediately chose to call Chizuru once they were in the room.

The real issue lies with Sayu's half assed explanation to Chizuru, and Chizuru acting like a complete manchild (and not trusting her of all things).

But, and a big but, saying quote: "he doesn't start to grope her, doesn't try to feel her up, hell doesn't even pursue the kiss thing any further afterward. [...]" is a dangerous mindset.

If there was absolutely no context given as to the characters involved and their relationship, then sure it can be. But this situation is not like that. Yes Kei can appear as deceiving at times, but there is nothing as of this chapter that indicates that Kei would intend to sexually abuse Sayu for his own benefit

In usual settings where a MC/character kisses another one while sleeping or sick there is some sort of developed relationship maybe even romance. This here is pretty much a stranger that is forcing himself on her while asleep

Except they're not though? They were both good friends in high school, Sayu had a crush on him and he had and still has a crush on her now. This isn't any different from any other typical shoujo in that regard (only the ages would be shifted down). Even in harems (where I think most of these scenario's show up) the relationship between the characters involved are usually less than what is shown here
FL waking up and brushing it off is huge and a massive breach of trust but I wouldn't want to elaborate on that further, as FLs established character is not like that

though this I do not deny

Finally, I never tried to make anyone think that stranger dude is on the same level as other far worse MLs as you said

I mean, the whole discussion started off with:

Short_Circut said:
shutcardboard said:
It is the same story on repeat with another guy with rapist-behaviour that probably will even get rewarded in the end.

nah it definitely is not on that level. Not even close to the actual borderline rape that can be in josei smut lol

to which came that hostile reply. If that was just my misunderstanding then my bad, I take it back.

Edit: I should just clarify that

I just am of the opinion that changing a strong female lead in a Josei that went through the whole ML forcing himself on her stage already (in this case it was gradually over the filming- thats why it should NOT be compared to these more intense cases) is bad writing and unnecessary.

But it is nonetheless uncalled for, too random, a cheap way of creating drama and can be categorized as sexual harassment -at the very least-. That is the whole problem here- this "smut" Josei had a whole other intensity. It just randomly changed to push some more chapters.

these parts I do more or less agree with. Definitely share similar sentiment
Short_CircutJul 11, 2021 10:34 AM
Jul 11, 2021 1:00 PM
Jun 2021
Very thought out answers, really appreciate it. I was being stupidly hostile but I just finished catching up, being frustrated since I thought I found a gem. I hope you can excuse this faux pas.

I don't even want to push the issue anymore but saying "[...]but there is nothing as of this chapter that indicates that Kei would intend to sexually abuse Sayu for his own benefit[...]" might be considered as ignorant. He clearly has ulterior motives and it IS at the least sexual harassment(leaning into abuse).

Also, yes, they are high school acquaintances that have not met in 8-10years, with Sayo being in a relationship and him knowing. It has close to zero weighting in this case, it is his introduction to the cast, nothing more really. I would argue that scenario makes what happened even worse.

Finally, I am okay with this development just FL being pushed into this is cheap and she wouldn't do what she did ever. Not talking to ML and second guy is really bad and unfitting. For me that can not be redeemed and I do not consider her intentions with ML as pure anymore and if it was done once it might just happen again :-/. Not telling your SO is a massive red flag the author pushed for, sadly.
Those are my feelings for now and thanks for having this exchange :-).
Mar 3, 2022 5:21 PM

Jul 2021
Ya see I'm not surprise with the 2nd ML confessing to him but at least Sayo didn't really reveal Chizuru that much about his personal business and such but still doesn't make a justification that Sayo's action is completely right to the 2nd ML, she could've bluntly rejected him that's simple.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Renai Gokko Sayokyoku Chapter 25 Discussion

Mayuka - Apr 14

0 by Mayuka »»
Apr 14, 1:22 AM

» Is this complete?

nushrathumaira - Mar 14, 2023

2 by nushrathumaira »»
Mar 14, 2023 3:22 PM

Poll: » Renai Gokko Sayokyoku Chapter 19 Discussion

Short_Circut - Mar 3, 2022

1 by CQLLIST »»
Mar 3, 2022 5:25 PM

Poll: » Renai Gokko Sayokyoku Chapter 17 Discussion

Short_Circut - Feb 25, 2021

2 by CQLLIST »»
Mar 3, 2022 5:18 PM

Poll: » Renai Gokko Sayokyoku Chapter 16 Discussion

Short_Circut - Jan 28, 2021

2 by CQLLIST »»
Mar 3, 2022 5:13 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.