Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Do you think this show would be better if it got rid of of some of its shounen tropes?

Tokyo Revengers
Available on Manga Store
New
Will the story be better without some of its extreme shounen tropes?
Jun 12, 2021 8:16 PM
Jan 2021
What I mean is displayed perfectly in episode 10. When takemitchi goes "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" and calls out his name extremely loud for no reason. Or when he stays still staring for 35 seconds after every important and unimportant occasion. Or the usual shounen MC dilemma when they have a 3 mental breakdowns every episode. Do you guys think the story would be much more enjoyable without tropes?
I see no value with any of them other than unnecessarily prolonging the story to further milk its sales. What do you guys think? Would it be better of without them?
Jun 12, 2021 8:24 PM
Dec 2020
I think Takemitchi with the tropes fits the anime. I personally think he's a good protagonist for this story so no the shounen tropes can stay.
Jun 12, 2021 8:29 PM

Mar 2012
Elma_fer said:
What I mean is displayed perfectly in episode 10. When takemitchi goes "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" and calls out his name extremely loud for no reason. Or when he stays still staring for 35 seconds after every important and unimportant occasion. Or the usual shounen MC dilemma when they have a 3 mental breakdowns every episode. Do you guys think the story would be much more enjoyable without tropes?
I see no value with any of them other than unnecessarily prolonging the story to further milk its sales. What do you guys think? Would it be better of without them?
Absolutely. The premise of the story seems like it'd fit a more mature genre than a traditional Shonen.
Jun 12, 2021 8:32 PM
Feb 2021
Elma_fer said:

I would just keep everything as is, because the episode was probably the best of the season when he is figuring out who he is supposed to be.
Thenightwing35Jun 12, 2021 8:49 PM
Jun 12, 2021 8:45 PM
Nov 2018
nah it's good as is, if it did not have them this sub genre delinquent would be kinda bland
Jun 12, 2021 9:02 PM
Aug 2019
I think you should stop watching shonen then you are not qualified to watch it, I think the way it is going now it's going to be one of the best anime we'll see in coming 10 years.
Jun 12, 2021 9:07 PM
May 2021
Yeah..should've been seinen
Jun 12, 2021 9:25 PM

Feb 2021
Flashback power go brrrr
Jun 12, 2021 9:51 PM
Jul 2020
I think it's good as is, these interactions you are talking about make the anime more interesting to me and tell us what the character thinks and feels
All shounen anime is like that anyway and it's good if it's not exaggerations, in TR there are no exaggerations he gets stronger by remembering his friends and the like, but it does contain delinquents care about their friends, see them as family, and may sacrifice their lives for them which is what we see in Toman members, this is the good shounen type for me.
Jun 12, 2021 10:39 PM
Oct 2020
Agreed, like dr stone
Jun 12, 2021 10:50 PM

Mar 2020
Yes, would be a lot better if it was a Seinen instead of Shounen but oh well.
Jun 12, 2021 11:45 PM
Jul 2018
No, it wouldn’t. The shonen tropes are what make this series great.
Jun 13, 2021 12:44 AM
Nov 2020
Yes, Totally, Shounen content would be a plus
Jun 13, 2021 2:54 AM
Apr 2019
Elma_fer said:

yes..the way he was wasting time while draken was heavily injured and when he shouted a lot instead of thinking a strategy to beat him(karasu...) also he threw the knife that got stabbed in his hand..lol.. i was like why..
though it's a very good anime but they took it a bit far what u said...
Jun 13, 2021 4:48 AM
Apr 2021
I think the show works best as a shounen. It sets it apart from other shows like Erased, and brings more humor to the table in that aspect than a seinen would.
Jun 13, 2021 5:11 AM
Jul 2009
This is based on a manga serialized in Weekly Shonen Magazine. So, if you're looking for a series with minimum shonen tropes, you're looking at the wrong place to begin with.
Jun 13, 2021 5:12 AM

May 2020
"Shounen" is not a Genre.
Jun 13, 2021 5:40 AM
Feb 2018
most of the highest rated anime in mal are shounen (fmab, aot, hxh, gintama), so the shounen tag is a great addition to this anime

even the most popular movie right now is a damn shounen anime (kny)
Jun 13, 2021 6:18 AM

Jul 2020
I dont mind some of em , but the mid-crisis jokes are reeeaallly out of place. And him acting silly in serious moments is a double edged sword . Some times I make the mc pretty unique n'other tiles its just pure unadulterated cringe 😒.
Waiting for the stone ocean 3 anime
Jun 13, 2021 8:31 AM
Apr 2020
Definitely, this has the plot and also some events that would perform better in a seinen
Jun 13, 2021 8:36 AM

Jul 2020
It would be better without them. If they remove certain shounen tropes and jokes I would probably think of this as a 9/10 anime, but for now its 8/10.\

Still very good but it could be much better if it just removed the cheesy jokes.
I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.
Jun 13, 2021 10:14 AM
Nov 2020
Elma_fer said:

-----no spoiler-----
Not everyone's into mature adult stuff....
Now ik what u r talking about but the studio gotta maintain their audience count (which consists of shounen fans too)
And as much as I have experienced thorugh the little anime I've watched I can say that it isn't easy to keep every moment of the story peak level and if u keep doing so then a single bummer might bring unforseen hate to the anime.......
I see no harm in keeping the shounen tropes coz it maintains a balance for the viewers
Coz if everything gets superhyped like it got with erased ,then any underwhelming moment might ruin your watch experience
I watch my anime expecting nothing out of it and believe me ,it's the best way to enjoy it
For ex-MHA S5 is particularly not bad but isn't standing up to the hype just coz we expected way too much Out of it......

Adding the point that just adapting a manga so well is hard af...u can't expect nothing to go south

I'm enjoying this anime way too much and I don't want it to remove those tropes

Just my opinion
Jun 13, 2021 8:04 PM
Mar 2018
I want to like this show but I just can't... The main character is just so stupid and useless... do you expect me to believe that a grown adult would act like this amongst a bunch of middle schoolers? Come on...
Jun 14, 2021 2:54 AM

Dec 2020
yeah i think it'd be better if it was more seinen leaning but oh well
Jun 14, 2021 5:23 AM

Feb 2020
ngl it's perfect exactly the way it is
stop complaining yo
this shit you're complaining about is part of the majority of action-based anime and shounen in general, i def don't think getting rid of those would suddenly make it so much better man

tysm iva-🐢💜

Jun 14, 2021 1:27 PM
Dec 2019
Quit it with these posts, if you don’t like the tropes go watch something else, it’s good as is and I really don’t get why you’re bothered by the “tropes” I mean the big three era came and gone and it’s 2021 so ofc you’re gonna see tropes you’ve seen plenty before but that’s not a reason to complain especially when they’re not as in your face. I’ve seen a post like this before and I didn’t say what I wanted to say but fuck it man, stop being critical over small shit you don’t like, it’s not hurting the anime or the manga sales so if ain’t broke don’t fix it. Fucking stupid. And before you say opinion, two things, looking though MAL to see where I asked and everyone has opinions it they’re not all good now are they?
Jun 14, 2021 7:28 PM
Oct 2016
The protagonist's nickname is "Crybaby Hero". It wouldn't be Tokyo Revengers without Takemichi being like this. His tears will solve a lot of things in the future.
Jun 15, 2021 12:35 AM

Sep 2014
To some people, if you disagree with OP that is perfect, but don't just say "then why you watching". How can we make a discussion if you are just telling "not to watch it" because they dislike an aspect of it?

I personally would like it being more seinen, but that doesn't mean that I don'tenjoy it the way it's right now. That said, while it's an episiode I want to like because of what it means,

Those things make me unable to take the situation seriously.
joexmdqJun 15, 2021 12:39 AM
Nothing important. Keep scrolling.
Jun 17, 2021 8:45 PM
Jan 2021
joexmdq said:
To some people, if you disagree with OP that is perfect, but don't just say "then why you watching". How can we make a discussion if you are just telling "not to watch it" because they dislike an aspect of it?

I personally would like it being more seinen, but that doesn't mean that I don'tenjoy it the way it's right now. That said, while it's an episiode I want to like because of what it means,

Those things make me unable to take the situation seriously.

I totally agree with the points you made. I also want to add another one. Which is something that has been bugging me alot. Others mentioned it but I really really really despise how a fully grown man is constantly acting like a complete middle-schooler. It's almost as if the author forgot that the MC is 26 so he started making him act like a teenager. I hope there is some explanation for this later on. But for now I find this very hard to swallow.
Jun 19, 2021 9:10 AM

May 2009
Most stupid thing in this anime is Japanese obsession with ranking everything. Do their teen gangs 15 years ago had their own uniforms and military-like ranks?
Apr 28, 6:00 AM
Mar 2018
Reply to bastek66
Most stupid thing in this anime is Japanese obsession with ranking everything. Do their teen gangs 15 years ago had their own uniforms and military-like ranks?
@bastek66 They actually completely did. These animes are all following a slightly nostalgic thing similar to what happens in a lot of US pop culture in regards to Greasers, Punks, and Ravers. Look up Sukeban and Bousouzoku. They were very coordinated delinquent gangs that totally had uniforms and strict hierarchy. They rebelled, but they rebelled in the most Japanese way possible, through conformity.

Here's just one example of what the 80's and 90s looked like in Japan.

So, no that isn't the problem with this anime. This trope is just an homage to a different time; one where a lot of the authors of this stuff were little kids during. The worst thing is that a grown man has absolutely no emotional control, is absolutely useless at everything, and is somehow subservient to a bunch of 8-11th graders, while showing absolutely no growth or reason for being the Protagonist. Why should I care about this guy? Has he actually done anything of meaning up to this point? Its just been a series of pathetic bungles which have changed things, but not necessarily for the better. Honestly, the story would have been more interesting if they followed the characters that actually do something and ended the show/ manga by circling back to the girl's death - showing how the series of decisions these people made lead them down the wrong path and resulted in corruption and tragedy. That's a compelling story, not: watch this loser cry and screw everything up while never learning from his actions or using any of the 10+ years of experience and knowledge he has for anything at all.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Revengers Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2021

251 by dspr »»
May 5, 1:21 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Revengers Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2021

335 by Captain22 »»
Apr 21, 2:46 PM

Poll: » I read so many people saying that Takemichi is a pedo and i want to know your opinion

Onii-chanShuki - Sep 29, 2021

30 by Piromysl »»
Apr 2, 10:41 PM

» Worst protagonist ever? ( 1 2 3 4 )

Leon888 - Jan 14

169 by KobayashiChi »»
Mar 19, 3:57 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Revengers Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2021

253 by Ryokonoma »»
Mar 10, 11:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.