Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 8, 2021 11:06 PM
May 2018
Sk8 was for some reason the gem of the season for so many people, and I just don't understand why there are so many people praising the anime as if it is the best anime ever. Don't get me wrong, I watched only 4 episodes, but that was enough for me to drop it, and after reading so many good reviews I actually started feeling guilty that I didn't enjoy those first 4 episodes at all, the animation was great, 8/10, and the music was even greater, but the story was so bland, as well as the characters, honestly, to me it felt like the usual bl bait anime of every other season that ends up getting a 6. And don't get me wrong again, I'm definitely not picky about animes, I watch 25-30 every season, I have what you would call shittaste, I rarely ever drop any anime, but Sk8 was so boring, and now I feel bad for that. I also heard there were lots of people from tiktok that started watching it as newcomers to the anime world, but again, this anime was popular in Japan as well, please enlighten me, and thanks for reading.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 8, 2021 11:16 PM

Jul 2017
150k isnt that much...
Apr 8, 2021 11:35 PM
Oct 2020
If you've seen the first 4 eps, you've seen most of what the anime had to offer.
In short, you didn't like it, while others did. Asking others to explain why you didn't like something is kind of a waste.
I don't like MHA or AOT but I'm not about to ask their fans to defend those anime to me.
Apr 8, 2021 11:38 PM
Aug 2020
I agree, it is too hyped. I watched all episodes and really the story is so plain haha but I must say, it was relaxing to watch and interesting enough to continue till the end.
Apr 8, 2021 11:46 PM
Nov 2020
Honestly I enjoyed it cause I skateboard a lot myself and can relate but yeah the story lowkey meh
Apr 8, 2021 11:49 PM
Jan 2021
For me it's because I've been a long time skater so it's something I'm already interested in. The OP & ED were also pretty bomb so that didn't hurt
Apr 8, 2021 11:54 PM
May 2020
vinowo22 said:
Sk8 was for some reason the gem of the season for so many people, and I just don't understand why there are so many people praising the anime as if it is the best anime ever. Don't get me wrong, I watched only 4 episodes, but that was enough for me to drop it, and after reading so many good reviews I actually started feeling guilty that I didn't enjoy those first 4 episodes at all, the animation was great, 8/10, and the music was even greater, but the story was so bland, as well as the characters, honestly, to me it felt like the usual bl bait anime of every other season that ends up getting a 6. And don't get me wrong again, I'm definitely not picky about animes, I watch 25-30 every season, I have what you would call shittaste, I rarely ever drop any anime, but Sk8 was so boring, and now I feel bad for that. I also heard there were lots of people from tiktok that started watching it as newcomers to the anime world, but again, this anime was popular in Japan as well, please enlighten me, and thanks for reading.

There's only one answer for it blowing up and that's skating+animation
But IMO it's meh it just went worse after 6ep with wrestling instead of skating
Apr 9, 2021 12:36 AM
Nov 2020
Watches 25-30 anime per season and sk8 is one that’s boring enough for you to drop it? lmao you didn’t have to lie. You could have just said you didn’t like it without that lol. It’s the only skating anime there is if I’m not mistaken and it was new and refreshing plus the animation was great. You’re probably saying this cause the rating is above 8.0 and probably one who also thinks JJK is overrated for being 8.79
Apr 9, 2021 12:37 AM
Mar 2021
Lol I only watched it because I skate as well. After watching the first ep I genuinely thought the series would not catch much attention due to how unrealistic it is. The story line was ok and pretty cliche ngl. I believe ppl mainly stuck around for the characters considering how Canon everything was and possibly since the person who worked on it also worked on free! And banana fish previously.
Apr 9, 2021 12:43 AM
Apr 2021
Many, like me, were attracted by the interaction of the main characters. They clung to each other so touchingly and supported each other. Although it is obvious that for each of them, the reason for practicing skateboarding is not so much a pleasure as a companion. Without company, it doesn't matter how good you are at any business. You always need someone who can appreciate your efforts and support.
The fact that this year turned out to be difficult for many due to the pandemic also played a role. I also want to thank the staff of the show for a pleasant time. This allowed me to be more optimistic about what is happening in the world and with me personally.
TobimarooApr 9, 2021 12:48 AM
Apr 9, 2021 12:56 AM
Jan 2021
i feel like part of it was the director being the same one as banana fish that gave it the hype originally , afterwards people had pointed out similarities between the two , also many people had thought there was going to be a canon mlm ship and lastly , the promised neverland dissapointed most people quickly so i think most people dropped tpn and instead watched sk8
Apr 9, 2021 1:08 AM
Apr 2021
vinowo22 said:

The thing is, you see the intensity of the relationship between the characters mostly after episode 7. Until episode 6, it’s mostly the fun and cheery skating anime (except the first episode, I personally think it was so good). What pulled me into this anime was how they managed to put those heavy emotions into a sports anime, and the feelings were actually relatable. For me, it wasn’t just a sports anime. For the most of the anime they didn’t focus on only skating. We got to see them grow together. You might think that this happens in every sports anime, but this growth happens only about that particular sport in those other sports animes. So as I said, people (including me) like it because it covers so much more than the sport (kind of like your lie in april; it’s a music anime, but the intensity of it and the story behind it pulls you in)

It kind of hurt when you said out of all the 25-30 you start, you dropped sk8. There are maximum 15 high quality animes (shonen or shojo) every season and the rest is usually cheap romance animes and shonen animes with a low effort plot that we see half-naked women fighting for the half of the episode which we watch just to spend some spare time. If you liked Sk8 the less out of all those animes that you watch, that just means you have an unusual taste in animes. That’s your own taste (which I truly respect).
Apr 9, 2021 3:13 AM
Apr 2021
There ar anime with more fame then Sk8 the infinity. But if u wanna find something u will find it.
Apr 9, 2021 5:07 AM
Jan 2021
it’s laid back and funny. no need to think so hard. plus BL bait. that’s why it’s popular lol
Apr 9, 2021 5:22 AM

Nov 2015
The director is popular in Japan. One of the few sports anime were everyone is different ages for once. Only 2 characters were a teenager.

declanrights said:
it’s laid back and funny. no need to think so hard. plus BL bait. that’s why it’s popular lol

There were 3 other sports anime in the same season but there weren't as popular. Even with shipping material. Why did fujoshis not like wave or skate leading stars?
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Apr 9, 2021 5:26 AM
Aug 2020
I just really enjoyed it, i thought the story and the characters were really fun, and i could relate to it a lot.
Also i’m a bit fujoshi so i had to see where the BL was gonna go yk
Apr 9, 2021 5:27 AM
Aug 2020
Old_School_Akira said:
The director is popular in Japan. One of the few sports anime were everyone is different ages for once. Only 2 characters were a teenager.

declanrights said:

There were 3 other sports anime in the same season but there weren't as popular. Even with shipping material. Why did fujoshis not like wave or skate leading stars?

heck even 2.43 had more bait than SK8 did
Apr 9, 2021 6:05 AM
Jan 2021
Alright, so I realized how a lot of people said “I watched the 4 episodes and that was enough to drop it” well, honestly if only I had started watching something else, like the fate series, or some shit, I wouldn’t have finished it and forgot about this anime and wouldn’t have added it to my list but now that I watched it, I realized this is exactly the drama I needed for my vacation so 🥱
Apr 9, 2021 6:25 AM
Feb 2021
Amazing animation and a lovable cast of characters.
Apr 9, 2021 6:29 AM
Nov 2020
i watched all of sk8 and i agree. the plot and characters didnt have much to them besides the main two. the story was bland, and even the second main plot point was useless and made no sense. i think this series got overhyped and loved because it had to do with skating and the character designs were cool. i personally enjoyed this anime, but didn’t understand how someone could give it a 9/10. my rating for this series would have to be a 6/10, completely understandable why you dropped it.
Apr 9, 2021 6:40 AM
May 2018
Roger1 said:
Watches 25-30 anime per season and sk8 is one that’s boring enough for you to drop it? lmao you didn’t have to lie. You could have just said you didn’t like it without that lol. It’s the only skating anime there is if I’m not mistaken and it was new and refreshing plus the animation was great. You’re probably saying this cause the rating is above 8.0 and probably one who also thinks JJK is overrated for being 8.79
Lie about what? I actually watch 25-30 every season, and yes sk8 was extremely uninteresting to me, so much I had to drop it.
Edit: And no, I loved JJK
Apr 9, 2021 6:41 AM
Jan 2021
great characters, animation was on point, original and fresh, pretty character design, cute relationships and intriguing (yet disgusting) villain.
Apr 9, 2021 6:43 AM

Sep 2011
theres actual quality stuff here but the popularity being largely cause people thought the guys were hot/shipping is pretty undeniable when you glance at twitter reactions

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 9, 2021 6:44 AM
Jan 2021
I think it’s because—at least for me—it was pretty easy to get attached to the characters. The plot isn’t the best in my opinion (still good, just not “praise-worthy”), but the characters were just *chefs kiss*
Apr 9, 2021 6:44 AM
Nov 2020
vinowo22 said:
Roger1 said:
Lie about what? I actually watch 25-30 every season, and yes sk8 was extremely uninteresting to me, so much I had to drop it.

Sure you do *wink*
Apr 9, 2021 6:57 AM
May 2018
Roger1 said:
vinowo22 said:

Sure you do *wink*
I'm not sure why you are doubting my word, you can go check my list for the past like 8 seasons and you'll easily see more than 20 every season, except for those 2 seasons last year that had almost no animes.
Apr 9, 2021 8:58 AM
Jul 2018
I agree with you for some reason but it's just sport and relax anime to watch when you don't have any anime at your list and it's not that bad. don't get it very seriesly
Apr 9, 2021 10:07 AM

Jan 2021
I think it blew up because the haikyuu fandom on Tiktok decided to switch their focus over to this after the end of haikyuu to the top. I personally enjoyed it but it wasn’t my favorite show of the season. I feel like my main appeal was the skating and that I could relate to the character but other than that it was nothing special.
Apr 9, 2021 10:56 AM
May 2019
vinowo22 said:
Don't feel bad at all, I have completed it and it is definitely a BL bait anime also the character sucks especially Langa and Adam are the worst characters, it's so stupid on so many levels every episode just made my blood boil
Apr 9, 2021 10:59 AM
May 2019
Roger1 said:
Yes it's refreshing to see a skating anime but it's just another wasted potential, the only good thing about it are animation and Op
Apr 9, 2021 11:26 AM
May 2011
Great animation, great music, great action, great villain, and bros being bros
Apr 9, 2021 12:16 PM
Oct 2016
As much as I enjoy the story and character, I would say it is production value that make it popular. Starting with the name Utsumi Hiroko, the director of 2 successful female-oriented series, Okouchi Ichirou, whose name associated with Code Geass and Devilman Crybaby. Then come to the cast with 2 new rising seiyuu of this generation, Hatanaka Tasuku just marked his name from Ultraman series (which is super popular both in and outside Japan), Kobayashi Chiaki with his awesome performance from The Great Pretender, and the veteran seiyuus, just by his name only Koyasu Takehito (and those heavy Jojo reference with Adam) can make people start watching this series, to the final bosses Midorikawa Hikaru and Matsumoto Yasunori.

You may or may not interested in staff and cast while watching an anime, but lots of people (including me) does.

That say, I am as well attracted to SK8 from their 2nd or 3rd trailer because of the chemistry between 2 main characters, good animation, good music.

All of the above are the formula for success. And the staff made good use of it.

Personally, as a person who looks for joy in (mostly male) sport anime and manga, SK8 is a breath of fresh air in this genre with diverse cast and new way of approach.

That's it. You can try to watch it again, or not. It's up to you and your taste. I really hope that your question was for the purpose of understanding the fandom, not for judging or degrading other people's taste.
Apr 9, 2021 1:14 PM
Feb 2021
vinowo22 said:
I think it was mostly because of bl (even if it’s just bait) and that there was someone working on it from banana fish. I probably said that wrong but all I know is there was someone or something that connected it to banana fish in some way lol. Anyway, the hype I feel mainly stemmed from tik tok, for some odd reason people were thinking one of the main characters was going to die? Like bruh just because there’s a connection to banana fish does not mean this random skating anime is going to switch up all of a sudden to something depressing. It was honestly embarrassing watching those videos of people freaking out acting as if an argument (that was very obviously going to be resolved btw) was absolutely heart breaking. Either way I enjoyed it for what it was but I can see why others wouldn’t.
Apr 10, 2021 2:16 AM

Feb 2019
Well, of course its because of great animation.
Sakuta002766Apr 10, 2021 2:24 AM
Apr 10, 2021 5:05 AM
Apr 2021
I’ve read through the comments and could relate to many of them.. To be honest I’ve started watching animes about a year ago when we were forced to stay at home due to the pandemic. Might as well I was watching quite a lot and really different ones in genre sometimes without even sleeping. Could be said I have a wide range of taste depending on my mood basically. When I was watching the first ep of sk8 I really loved it. The OP already got me, the character design is really stunning not to talk about the eye candy factor that I’m personally really keen on. I generally like sport animes but only if they make me excited and root for the characters to reach their top. I think sk8 has a set of personality profiles so everyone could relate or find their favorite. The motion screens of the illegal races are also gripping. The background stories are slowly unwrapped throughout the episodes that I consider another good point. It’s true it doesn’t have a serious, deep moral essence but who cares? Freedom and fun, bonding, the excitement of something illegal, the affection shared between friends and opponents seasoned with fancy graphic and music so lay back and do not think just let it make you feel at ease! All in all I liked it and I even suggested some friends of mine to watch it. Thank God and the anime industry we have possibility to choose pieces matching our tastes so if you couldn’t connect simply just drop it and find your own favorite! Xxx
Apr 10, 2021 6:26 AM

Nov 2015
This is a bit off topic but the creator of Domestic Girlfriend likes Sk8 and said adam was a good villain: https://twitter.com/k_sasuga/status/1380835015920033793
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Apr 10, 2021 7:43 PM
Aug 2020
I thought it was fun not super amazing or some super deep fiction someone will make 1 hour video analyses on but it's enjoyable and joe and cherry are really hot so
Apr 10, 2021 10:00 PM
May 2020
People are going to like it for different reasons. Some like the interaction between the 2 main characters, some like the BL bait, the animation, the skating aspect, etc. It got a little weird after episode 6 but it’s a very relaxing anime to watch. I finished it in a weekend (which I never binge anime). It was great to just sit down and not think too much and like the anime at face value.
Apr 10, 2021 10:05 PM

Jan 2020
Some tik tok kids probably hyped it

Apr 10, 2021 11:16 PM
Dec 2016
“ why was this show so popular meh! I watched 4 episodes and even came back to make a post about it because I’m so interested but can’t get over myself to finish it . My opinion matters the most though so other people have to know i don’t like it as much as them” like dude it’s not hard to understand why people like it . Character designs , great music, animation, camera work, vivid colors , bad ass fast paced action. Complex relationships. All the makings of a seasonal hit
Apr 10, 2021 11:19 PM

Apr 2020
Its studio made some people watch it (including me)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2021 4:44 PM
May 2020
i feel like it takes a while for something to actually happen, after episode 6 or 7 things get more interesting (though i liked the whole show). but like someone else mentioned you can't really ask for us to explain when it's an opinion your formed yourself. watch the rest of it maybe, but tbf it's not an overly interesting plot. still enjoyable tho.
Apr 12, 2021 4:49 PM

Feb 2021
Roger1 said:

Dude calm down lol they just say they didn't like it, don't have to take it personally. It's like the person with the calmest way to say they didn't like an anime, and you respond with hate? take your medicines
Everyone has a different way of enjoying anime, you aren't superior for watching some kind or other

Apr 13, 2021 3:32 AM

Aug 2017
This trash anime has a high score because it's lowkey Yaoi. The ladies have pushed this up because they love the cute boys falling into each other's arms at finish lines, giving each other flowers and whatnot. If you subtracted the BL aspect of this anime from it, it would certainly fall down to the score level it deserves. Which is probably like a 6. I rated it a 2, personally. But, I can be harsh. I'm pretty sure this would be a 6 without the "cute boy" stuff.
Apr 13, 2021 7:01 AM
Apr 2021
This anime is good because cute boys don't give flowers to each other and try to be men. And without the BL aspect, there would be no story that is told in it.
Apr 13, 2021 9:03 AM
Jun 2020
Yes I think i agree, the anime was good, it had good animation, good music, but the plot wasnt that good. I watched all od the epiaodes and its not like I didnt enjoyed it, its more like the story wasnt just that good. After episode 7 I really thought that its gonna be something, but it wasnt. And for me, the characters werent written that good. What I mean is that they werent special and were more like any other main characters in some animes. And I Hope that this anime wasnt popular because There were hot characters or because of the BL bait. But this is just my opinion I Hope I didnt offended someone.
Apr 13, 2021 10:22 AM

Aug 2017
Tobimaroo said:
This anime is good because cute boys don't give flowers to each other and try to be men. And without the BL aspect, there would be no story that is told in it.
Adam gave flowers to Langa twice. And saying that without the BL, there would be no story, is the whole point of the post. And if an anime has no story without BL, then that anime is trash.
InjenssApr 13, 2021 10:26 AM
Apr 13, 2021 10:30 AM
Apr 2021
If Langa hadn't gone skating on "S" to impress Reki, he wouldn't have caught Adam's eye. And Adam is far from a boy already.
Apr 13, 2021 2:13 PM

Feb 2010
Of course it's not some masterpiece, it's fun. Every episode cheered me up so much.
Apr 13, 2021 4:47 PM

Aug 2017
Tobimaroo said:
If Langa hadn't gone skating on "S" to impress Reki, he wouldn't have caught Adam's eye. And Adam is far from a boy already.
Yeah, I know Adam is far from a boy. He's a pedophile. Which is gross as hell and another reason this anime sucked.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Langa's relationship with reki ( 1 2 )

Old_School_Akira - May 7, 2022

65 by Tobimaroo »»
Mar 10, 3:11 AM

Poll: » SK∞ Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2021

147 by Tobimaroo »»
Mar 4, 5:21 AM

Poll: » SK∞ Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2021

142 by Tobimaroo »»
Jan 31, 4:58 AM

Poll: » SK∞ Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2021

210 by Tobimaroo »»
Jan 30, 4:56 AM

» SK8 the Infinity Event & Bucchigiri!?

OnlyAraku - Dec 31, 2023

8 by OnlyAraku »»
Jan 9, 12:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.