Forum Settings
Forums

Do you try to rate "objectively" and what do you think of people who rate "objectively"?

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Mar 31, 2021 5:53 PM

Aug 2018
Justp94 said:
Opticflash said:

Whoa... it looks like someone gave an average of over 8 for their anime, with about half of them being 9 or 10. I think that is way too generous.

It's fine if you don't thoroughly enjoy the anime you watch, anything 1-5 should be dropped. My ratings are so high because I drop the anime I dislike and usually only see 3-6 episodes of that show before dropping them.

It's all percentages baby.

Even if you gave all your dropped anime a 1, your average score would still be above 7.5. My average score is 6 and I like nearly all the anime I watch.
Mar 31, 2021 5:54 PM

Jun 2019
Justp94 said:
taylormoo said:
While I try to be objective to the best of my abilities, I ultimately fail. Because in the end, even if a manga/anime has setbacks, if it truly moved me, then I'm giving it a good score. For example, I know Ao Haru Ride is not a manga without any flaws, but to me it's a masterpiece. It's one of those stories that lasted with me for a long time. My mind is still nagging me to give Devilman: Crybaby a 10/10, but I've settled at an 8 because I know it's not absolutely perfect. Either way, it depends on how I feel? This wasn't really an answer.

I feel that... Though some are personal favorites and are really THAT good, at least in my opinion, so I give them a 10/10.
- I gave Devilman crybaby a 9 because I enjoyed it that much, while it is closer to an 8,I rounded up.

While most series I thoroughly enjoyed get a 9,series that are really good, but not quite a 9 for me, get an 8,as well as series that are between a 7-8 I used an enjoyment factor to determine if I'm going to round down or up.

I rarely, if ever, finish an anime I consider 6 or below. However, I'm objective and usually give in 4-6 range because I see why some people could enjoy it and believe others who watch anime based on rating, should consider it too.

I like that you don't just give an anime you didn't like a 1 or something. Because I far too often see people giving shows awful scores just because they didn't live up to their expectations. I feel like the more I dislike a show, the more objective I get. Because if I'm not emotionally invested in it, why would I want to purposefully give it a bad score?
Then again, maybe I've just never been *angry* at a show for how much I disliked it before. I try to stay away from shows like that, haha.
Mar 31, 2021 5:54 PM
Master Otaku

Mar 2009
AnimeLeviathan said:
Justp94 said:

Hahaha no, I just checked out your completed list, a lot of your ratings are somewhat legit/understandable.

I still don't understand why people don't drop anime they don't like though, like something they'd consider in the 1 - 5 range.

I don't really like to drop animes once I get past the 3 episode mark. Im a new anime fan(Started watching around May-June last year) so a lot of the animes I rated a 1-5 I watched in the fall or even before that. I was basically trying to test the waters, see what I enjoy, what I don't enjoy. And lastly, I was stupid as fuck so I didn't realize I actually found an anime extremely boring up until near the end.

I used to be that way as well, never used to drop any shows at all, until I started putting some shows on Hold and realized there was no way I'd be going back to waste my time on an anime that's not entertaining to me.

However, There are some shows like Code Geass and One Piece that I dropped after a couple episodes...and coming back to them a couple years later was the best thing I ever did 😅
- Justin T. Poindexter
Mar 31, 2021 5:58 PM
Jul 2018
I think it's almost impossible to rate anime "objectively" if we're talking in a literal sense. Most anime fans have a heavy bias towards certain genres and tropes so it's honestly hard to give an unbiased opinion, especially on sites like these. Of course there are objectively bad anime, or stuff that is very polarizing in content, but there's never one objective opinion when critiquing a piece of art. It's just, well, an opinion.
Mar 31, 2021 6:02 PM
Master Otaku

Mar 2009
taylormoo said:
Justp94 said:

I feel that... Though some are personal favorites and are really THAT good, at least in my opinion, so I give them a 10/10.
- I gave Devilman crybaby a 9 because I enjoyed it that much, while it is closer to an 8,I rounded up.

While most series I thoroughly enjoyed get a 9,series that are really good, but not quite a 9 for me, get an 8,as well as series that are between a 7-8 I used an enjoyment factor to determine if I'm going to round down or up.

I rarely, if ever, finish an anime I consider 6 or below. However, I'm objective and usually give in 4-6 range because I see why some people could enjoy it and believe others who watch anime based on rating, should consider it too.

I like that you don't just give an anime you didn't like a 1 or something. Because I far too often see people giving shows awful scores just because they didn't live up to their expectations. I feel like the more I dislike a show, the more objective I get. Because if I'm not emotionally invested in it, why would I want to purposefully give it a bad score?
Then again, maybe I've just never been *angry* at a show for how much I disliked it before. I try to stay away from shows like that, haha.

I'm guilty LOL, Jujutsu Kaisen is one anime that I gave a 2/10 after dropping it after 12 episodes.

Everyone kept saying it was the greatest shonen anime they've ever seen, "it's better than One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, Demon Slayer, AOT, etc" and if you don't think so as well "You're a hater"...The toxic fanbase and overhype made me angry enough to give it a 2/10 instead of a 5/10 like it is.
- Justin T. Poindexter
Mar 31, 2021 6:08 PM

Mar 2019
It doesn't matter to me if someone thinks something is 'objectively' bad. If it's a masterpiece to me that's all that matters.
Mar 31, 2021 6:19 PM

Feb 2015
I am horrible at rating. I rate shows almost completely out of personal enjoyment and the ending has more sway than it should. Art and music matter to me, but they aren't a big factor. I have certain themes I love that I always end up rating highly when I watch them (really OP characters being badass for example). I was especially bad when I started out but I think as time passes I've toned it down somewhat. I could probably go back and end up lowering a good bit of my ratings, but I don't think that's fair unless I give them a re-watch.

Mar 31, 2021 6:25 PM

May 2019
Rate """"""objectively""""""?

I DO.

Like everyone else here.

- I vote according my taste, but i assume that MY TASTE is objectively the BEST, and who disagree is worse than trash.

Am i wrong about this being the most usual here in MAL?
Mar 31, 2021 6:33 PM

Jul 2013
I rate things subjectively, but if it's good on a technical level, I'll give it a higher rating even if I didn't like it that much. Example: I gave "A Silent Voice" a 5 because of the nice animation, but I hated it.

I don't give out many 1's or 10's.

I get annoyed when people say things like "this is objectively trash / great".

There are technical aspects of an anime where you can be objective: is the animation good / fluid? (The Chika dance from Kaguya-sama vs the dance scene from Twinkle Nora Rock Me.) Is the story full of plot holes? Did the story accomplish what it set out to do?
Mar 31, 2021 6:36 PM

Jun 2019
Justp94 said:
taylormoo said:

I'm guilty LOL, Jujutsu Kaisen is one anime that I gave a 2/10 after dropping it after 12 episodes.

Everyone kept saying it was the greatest shonen anime they've ever seen, "it's better than One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, Demon Slayer, AOT, etc" and if you don't think so as well "You're a hater"...The toxic fanbase and overhype made me angry enough to give it a 2/10 instead of a 5/10 like it is.

Lmao, that’s kinda funny though. It’s on my Plan to Watch, so we’ll see👀
Mar 31, 2021 6:58 PM

Nov 2011
Justp94 said:
-Lofn- said:

Agreed.

I'll still never understand why people would complete a 24 episode series they consider to be a 3/10 though. Makes zero sense lol.

I think it’s probably a case of they didn’t hate the shows but the endings ruin it for them.
Mar 31, 2021 8:18 PM

Jan 2020
Mixing subjectivity with objectivity is your best bet in my opinion. There is no such as thing as a good anime objectively since everyone has their own standards of what makes writing and direction good, etc.
Mar 31, 2021 10:53 PM

Aug 2018
I rate subjectively. Anyone who rates objectively is just an ass kisser tbh

Apr 1, 2021 1:13 AM

Oct 2020
Such a big brain move. Imagine being delusional enough to think that you can rate entertainment objectively...
It's literally a paradox because what you might call "an objective rating" will differ from person to person which would loop back to it being subjective. In other words it's impossible to rate objectively
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 1, 2021 2:18 AM

Nov 2020
I try to have some justification for my ratings. But if I see flaws, then I will certainly like the show less, right? So yes, I do try to rate objectively, but those tend to be my favorites regardless
Apr 1, 2021 3:35 AM

Dec 2015
I rate objectively according to my subjective preferences.
Apr 1, 2021 4:42 AM

Jan 2014
Justp94 said:
-Lofn- said:
Yeah, let me just use my predilection and stance on a subject matter that would surely not be huckstered.

Ratings are completely irrelevant, listen to the words people will and should give. A 4/10 score wouldn't speak any volumes regarding their criticism, be it biased or not. The important thing to remember, everyone will have their piece of mind onto something and that's fine. The important part is if it's impressionable, understandable, and convincing; whether you agree or not. At the end of the day, it is more important to scrutinize it however you like and there is nothing wrong about that. Everyone has their own angle, the best way I see opinions will always be like an ocular device; everyone sees the same thing, but the colors will be different for different lenses. Even the more polymaths will see things and understand things differently, and most definitely enjoy things differently.

Bottom line is, I just slap a score that I feel about the show and call it a day. No harm done, unless someone who is choleric and be mad about the score breathe from your neck, but that's not my problem.

Agreed.

I'll still never understand why people would complete a 24 episode series they consider to be a 3/10 though. Makes zero sense lol.

There are some reasons at least for me.

Sometimes i simply want to know how the anime ends even though the journey to that ending was absolutely awful. Sometimes it's a 2nd season of one of my favourite shows that i was hoping was going to get better at some point but only got worse(looking at you shingeki no bahamut virgin soul) and sometimes i just want to waste time watching anything and if it makes me want to know how it ends than that is probably enough for me to finish it even if i don't like a lot about the show and one time the only reason i finished Vampire Knight to see if i actually found a worse love story than Twilight and i indeed did. Sometimes i'll go watch isekai anime and even though they're probably not good if i want to waste some time i at least know i can probably expect average quality and some fun action scenes so there's that.

Oh and sometimes it's a popular show which i ended up hating.(not talking about seasonals but shows that are usually brought up as amazing)

It's kinda random at times lol.

A lot of shows in my 2-5(I never gave a show a 1 because there was always a single element in every anime i finished that i found was alright that's the reasoning) range are anime that even though bad had an aspect okay enough so that i could sit through the show. I then sit back and see what i enjoyed what i didn't etc and that's how. I literally apply the word system that mal has with its numbers lol. I ask myself if i would say the show is good, fine, average or bad etc. and then see what grade i give. I will usually give some isekai anime a chance simply because i don't know what to watch and i know that if anything the anime will at least have some interesting action. I know i can at least expect average quality which is why i know i won't drop it probably.

Also some of my grades have been revised a lot of shows i gave an average scoring i was being generous at the time so i kinda decided to be a bit more strict and they took a hit for like a grade or two and some of the shows in the 7 range also took a hit because i either rewatched them or just don't remember them being as good as i thought.
AstZeroApr 1, 2021 4:51 AM
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Apr 1, 2021 6:44 AM

May 2020
I think my ratings are purely subjective and based on my own experiences when I watch an anime or read a manga.

It always comes down to one's preferences, I guess.
weeb
cat lover
coffee lover

Apr 1, 2021 7:19 AM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
Time to copy this shit from another thread.

Yeah, it's not as simple as "subjective" and "objective"

Things that can be objectively measured are:
-Art (how it ties into the animation)
-Animation (needs at least consistency)
-Sound (editing)
-Writing (a very tricky one)

and if you don't actively study each of these things or have an expansive enough knowledge about art, animation, sound, editing, story/creative writing, etc., can it really be "objective", or are you basing it from what random people have told you, or your own feelings of how things are constructed?
In my opinion, many people that I've seen seem to act like they possess more knowledge about animation and writing than they actually do.

Even if you know enough about writing, you'll learn that there isn't A LOT to be "objectively" measured (well, there is, but sometimes we look in the wrong places) since it really does boil down to taste and different writing styles. What can be truly be measured is timing, context (slow-burn is OK if it means to give more context), consistency, and if you misunderstand something it's really easy and effortless to deem it as "bad writing" without saying why. If your reasoning involves comparing it to other series or fiction, then good job, it is a bias.

IMO, from what I've learned over glossing over so much of the history of writing, stories, etc.? Good writing = effective writing. Even if I really didn't like a show and it shits the bed, if it works it's good, and I respect what it intends to do. If it works, it works. I think bad writing is something that is incredibly confusing.
Even effective writing historically comes from what is deemed effective on the majority of the audience, and deciding to run with it.
Good/bad writing shouldn't be umbrella terms for many things such as different intricacies that a series represents or introduces, areas that it paled, etc, but that's just my opinion.

If you want to know about 10/10s, I'm not giving any of them an "objective rating" without biases because it has to do with how much it impacted me on an emotional level.

I might give something like AOT that in the future, though. Because I totally respect what the series does, although it isn't 100% my cup of tea.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 2 hours ago

52 by Spunkert »»
2 minutes ago

» Categorize your Profile Favorite Characters as sadist, masochist, or switch

IpreferEcchi - 2 minutes ago

0 by IpreferEcchi »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - Yesterday

23 by epidemia78 »»
9 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

36 by epidemia78 »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 11 hours ago

28 by epidemia78 »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.