Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 5, 2021 6:33 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's out now on Crunchyroll so I'm surprised that no one has created a topic on it yet.
Beautiful visuals and great action sequences cannot really compensate for a mediocre story and tame, generic characters. I'm not familiar with the source material so I cannot say if that's a fault stemming from the film or there was little to work with to begin with,
Another forgettable effort by Satelight and Shoji Kawamori. He has simply not done anything really worthwhile since Macross Frontier (well Aquarion EVOL was lots of fun in a camp kind of way).
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 6, 2021 12:21 AM

Oct 2008
i cringe the whole 2 hours...not that i wasted time...the visuals are okayish...but the plot is so overused!!!
3/5.
6/10.

Feb 6, 2021 2:11 AM

Aug 2020
matias067 said:
i cringe the whole 2 hours...not that i wasted time...the visuals are okayish...but the plot is so overused!!!
3/5.
6/10.
Yeah like you said is definitely a wasted time.

[
AhrumFeb 6, 2021 2:15 AM

Feb 6, 2021 10:14 AM
Jul 2017
Not really bad but not that great. between passable.

Kasumi play decent role but lack of character development. good but dull or straightforward. specially considering that she should play large part in the movie. to be honest, her opening iss quite..meh. i mean she does have some problem in life but not really that bad that she needs to be transported to the world and save it while having character development in order to improve herself in the future. yeah she join drama club at the end but the problem of her charcater is simple. her ending is okay and better not a let down. its just her beginning is very dull.

TL;DR: she is like simple girl with simple problems then got immediately isekai-d. just like your typical isekai manga where the MC got isekai out of nowhere.

Visual is great. Animation battle is good but can go better like other movie and should go better because it's a movie. even Kabaneri of Iron Fortress. Demon Slayer or atleast Rakudai Kishi or does more quality in animation and they are just tv show atleast(specifically, i mean the action not color quality, etc. the continous action and fight)now im not saying they should hire the same animators or do same animation. its just they can go better. like Zain deflecting bullets/invading the hideouts, honestly i think Setsuna vs Logi is the only best animation there. rest, are just OK. i mean its not a triple A game but they can still do better. i like the 3D Demons though. the music is great. but the plot and battle, its not really that goosebump giving and exciting except because its your-favorite-mobile-game-now-in-the-big-screen feeling or just because you are fan of setsuna, zain, othima, chloe and seeing them on big screen. still that doesnt mean that its bad, it is still many fold better than other anime but still not easily great.

lots of cliche and many unexplained or incomplete information for the lore like what is Light Alchemist since even the game didnt explain that much specially this kind of Light Alchemist who can reshape Demons. and how Alchemy flow or works though even the game barely explain this except that Alchemy can be use to transmute souls/Phantom so its excused in this movie. but honestly this is a potential way to explain it here.

the final battle is...a bit underwhelming. i mean imagine fighting a giant multiple serpent who decrease the alchemy power(like in the opening), plague the world in chaos got easily defeated and they easily invade the main place of the final boss. even the Monarch Orion battle, Templar, Kamui Story, has more intense than the movie(and those are just Human cause not a literal monster like this movie). honestly even Kamui final battle, Orion invasion climax, does more solid way to conclude their stories.

not saying its bad. i enjoy the movie actually, but a lot of cliche, underwhelming plot, and unsatisfying charcater development for Kasumi(but still good), and many unexplained/lack of information for the lore. so much potential. didn't easily fell for a "bad movie" title and still good to watch. woul recommend to the players im a big fan of this game and definitely good to watch. just dont expect too much and personally its not even in my top 30 best anime movie i watch.
even I, enjoy this movie a bit.

6/10 at my max score i can give base on my opinion..
Dreac_LeosonFeb 6, 2021 10:39 AM
Feb 16, 2021 1:04 PM

Feb 2020
It has a lot of things common to fate series (which is a anime I don't like very much). Though apparently its actually based on some mobile game or something from what I heard.

Minus point-
-Plot which is pretty shitty and boring with lot of evident plot holes just like fate series (has a lot of things common like master-servant thing, holy grail = dragon =>darkness, the difference between alchemy and magic in very vague and underdeveloped, same old combat scenario and cliché lines etc)
-character are kind of bland and too much in number due to which most are underdeveloped (most of the time I cannot follow who is supposed to be whom)
-Theme of the story is pretty weak. what is supposed to be darkness is way to similar to fate series. Questionably vague in both of them

Plus points
- character design -again I feel lot of fate series inspiration from it. But this time it actually done in a better way which I liked very much
- art and background setting (post apocalypse setting) is also very intriguing
-animation is good (use lot of cgi mecha monsters, but still the cgi looks somewhat good)
- Intro (starting 5 mins) was really solid (felt like I was about to watch a masterpiece, but then I heard the the master-servant crap and watched rest of the story and it realized it anything but that)
-had few good songs in movie (i like that kind of thing)

Overall visual appealing and crappy storyline just like fate series (Actually visually speaking, it more in terms of stellar animation [Fate series] vs creative designs [Ta ga Tame no Alchemist], I probably think this one has a edge in my preferences)

Overall 6/10 ( though I feel like I am being less critical, because its in a movie format)
AdampkFeb 16, 2021 4:21 PM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Mar 29, 2021 9:58 AM

Aug 2013
honestly i feel these opinions. if i didn't have all the vacground knowledge from the games with the characters backstory's and stuff i wouldn't have liked it as much as i did. it almost seemed like fanservice for people who play the game lmao.
Jun 6, 2021 4:55 PM

Jun 2013
I remember playing the Alchemist Code for some time back in 2018. The movie was okay.
Jul 21, 2021 7:20 PM

Feb 2018
Just want to say byee Kasumi, really like soundtrack... And also I'm sorry, I thought there would be a romantic scene of Edgar and Kasumi
Jul 22, 2021 9:43 AM
Jan 2020
Omg I play the game and after reading the comments I'm now afraid to watch the movie. lol
Sep 17, 2021 9:43 AM

Nov 2015
Good movie. at first it was like Escaflowne (shoujo, romance, isekai, mecha), then it was similar to Chain Link (RPG, light vs dark, superpowers and melee stuff) and then the last hour starts to rushed up and give us a mahou shoujo moment :'D 9/10.

đź’˘

Sep 17, 2021 9:44 AM

Nov 2015
Man the effects were gorgeous they actually managed to make then less flashy lights. the steampunk was better that middle age setting i guess, the romance was well developed though it didn't last... still the movie doesn't stop giving a generic feel with all of those elements tho maybe because i've seen it somewhere else (cardcaptor sakura, Tales of.. franchise), good ideas not really blended well after all.
Berry-VodkaSep 17, 2021 12:00 PM

đź’˘

More topics from this board

» BD release finally set. Coming this year!

Chisel - Feb 17, 2020

7 by hiraishinx »»
Oct 14, 2020 12:05 PM

» Hello TAC player, what do you think about the release of this movie?

Kushina777 - Feb 1, 2019

2 by Kushina777 »»
Feb 3, 2019 5:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.