Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 26, 2021 6:26 AM

Dec 2017
The character development for Eren has been my favorite part of the show.

To be honest, from s1 all the way to the middle of s3 I really disliked the main trio of protagonists. Eren was super generic and honestly irritating, he screamed at everything, got distracted at the wrong times, always caused trouble. Now in season 4, after he has all the knowledge of the suffering his people have gone through and let's not forget the trauma of seeing your mom get crunched by a monster, it's only natural that he's dead inside.

After what happened at the end of season 3, he must have spent a really long time thinking about everything he discovered through the founding titan. The weight of that knowledge must have crushed him. The people around him were probably unable to understand what he was going through, so my guess is that he was stuck alone with these horrible truths and thoughts which caused him to become completely obsessed with vengeance. To me it was similar to how we are carefree and have a 'go for it' attitude while we're children and teenagers, then as we learn the truths of the adult world/society most people just tend to become depressed lol

Anyway, after I told my friend that I hated s1-s3 Eren, my friend explained that he liked Eren because he acted like most people would in his situation. How else would a young boy who lost his mother and is only just coming to understand his situation and new found powers act? Brash, loud, act-first-think-later, feelings of invincibility etc. So I came to hate that Eren less.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 26, 2021 7:18 AM
Aug 2011
Xander_Cage said:
blckbltnhlst said:
Told my friend that Eren is Anakin Skywalker in the prequel Star Wars trilogy done right. Watching him go from the generic (for a lack of a better way to put it) "IM GONNA ACHIEVE MY GOAL" protagonist to the cold-blooded murderer has been super satisfying to watch in real time.

Wow yeah, that's a pretty good way to put it. I really liked the trilogy, especially Revenge of The Sith, it's a good way to look at eren falling to the dark side I guess haha.

First of all thank you for the thread @Xander_Cage ..and yes exactly I also associate Eren with Anakin. They were both very ambitious kids. Both intense, very emotional young men, giving of the vibe of being semi-angry all the time, with unresolved issues and inhumanly big burden to carry. Eren was touched by the "dark side" as a little kid already..remember how he killed Mikasa's kidnappers? That's not exactly normal 8-10 yo behaviour. Though his goals were noble, admirable even, he always walked this fine line where I thought one push and he's on the "dark side"
There are also certain differences but the point is, this "new" Eren grew cold because of the burden he carries. I think he realized that for him personally will be no happy end, he has limited time and the world he is facing is not ready for compromises, so all he can do is choose violence. I am more that interested to see how the dynamic between him and Armin will be from this point on. He already distanced himself from Mikasa a long time ago, they did not seem to be very close in S3 either so I guess this ship will never sail...

EDIT: Also Eren's new found coldness, focus and professionalism in war is also similar to what Vader was like compared to Anakin.

KitKatzeJan 26, 2021 10:39 AM
Jan 26, 2021 9:21 PM

Aug 2017
KitKatze said:
Xander_Cage said:

Wow yeah, that's a pretty good way to put it. I really liked the trilogy, especially Revenge of The Sith, it's a good way to look at eren falling to the dark side I guess haha.

First of all thank you for the thread @Xander_Cage ..and yes exactly I also associate Eren with Anakin. They were both very ambitious kids. Both intense, very emotional young men, giving of the vibe of being semi-angry all the time, with unresolved issues and inhumanly big burden to carry. Eren was touched by the "dark side" as a little kid already..remember how he killed Mikasa's kidnappers? That's not exactly normal 8-10 yo behaviour. Though his goals were noble, admirable even, he always walked this fine line where I thought one push and he's on the "dark side"
There are also certain differences but the point is, this "new" Eren grew cold because of the burden he carries. I think he realized that for him personally will be no happy end, he has limited time and the world he is facing is not ready for compromises, so all he can do is choose violence. I am more that interested to see how the dynamic between him and Armin will be from this point on. He already distanced himself from Mikasa a long time ago, they did not seem to be very close in S3 either so I guess this ship will never sail...

EDIT: Also Eren's new found coldness, focus and professionalism in war is also similar to what Vader was like compared to Anakin.

Good points on the Eren-Anakin dynamic. I remember thinking Anakin to be annoying and arrogant at times the same way I thought about Eren(maybe not arrogant) for their nature at first and then when their story unfolded I just wanted them to be happy lol.

Yeah, Eren distanced himself from Mikasa, Armin, and others too. But I still think he wants to protect them -- "To save Mikasa, Armin, and everyone else, you must master this power" "To save Mikasa, Armin, and everyone else, you must see this through" -- but I would like it if he relied on them a bit. Now the dynamic between Armin and Eren would be like agree to disagree I think. Armin said in the 7th episode that there's no future to them without Eren or at least that's what he thinks. Armin believes that Eren is someone capable of sacrificing something to make a change in something. He may not agree with his way of doing things but will still follow him cause that might be their best chance for survival.
Jan 27, 2021 3:04 AM
Aug 2011
Armin said in the 7th episode that there's no future to them without Eren or at least that's what he thinks. Armin believes that Eren is someone capable of sacrificing something to make a change in something. He may not agree with his way of doing things but will still follow him cause that might be their best chance for survival. [/quote]

There is this feeling of impending doom now, but regardless of what happens to the trio, even if they all "break up", I think they will not forget to love each other. I hope the very end will be bitter-sweet and not complete disaster, also by all means not a cheesy happy end :D
We'll see what the future brings, but what happens to Eren at this time is still something I can consider a normal change given the extreme circumstances. For someone which this much heat, drive, can do and will do attitude to resort to cold brutality for a greater goal. My hope is that he will realize that he is not alone with the burden of a titan shifter, because Armin is now basically a walking weapon too. This might be something they can relate to..I just don't know how poor Mikasa can fit in :( or all the other guys... the good old times full of banter between him and Jean and the others are over it seems

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 28, 2021

691 by Ninnox »»
May 1, 12:33 PM

» The one thing I dont understand now is, why WIT censored so much the violence?

MAQS - Dec 20, 2020

26 by SoughtLi »»
Apr 28, 7:26 PM

Poll: » If Eren was in avatar...

TASM18 - Apr 17

18 by belugaanime »»
Apr 19, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 7, 2021

513 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 13, 8:01 AM

» Isayama: The Perfect Architect ( 1 2 )

Mikasa - Mar 29, 2021

65 by benisfroms »»
Apr 10, 8:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.