Jul 2018
Depends on their level of patience.

If they want a movie to get over with quick:

Akira

If they want a TV series:

Bebop or Eva '95.
Jan 9, 2021 8:20 PM
Jul 2018
Kiseijuu, Death Note or Re:Zero, just any anime which doesn't need a lot of time to become interesting.
Jan 9, 2021 8:27 PM

Mar 2018
Well OPM might be headstart for most....but in the end "It Depends"..... basically give'em something which is compelling enough to make them look for recommendation.
Jan 9, 2021 9:51 PM

Nov 2019
RadarDuker said:
Depends on their level of patience.

If they want a movie to get over with quick:

Akira

If they want a TV series:

Bebop or Eva '95.

Bebop was what got me in, so I'd go with that too. It has something for almost everyone, likeable characters, isn't overly complex, not filled with arcane references or Japanese puns, has one of the best dubs ever made, and of course great music and animation quality. It's a damn good anime in its own right, but it also makes the statement: "anime has so much potential, and with thousands of anime made, you're gonna find something you like even more, even if this isn't necessarily your thing."
Jan 10, 2021 2:18 AM

May 2018
I want to nominate Kemono Friends.
It has many things which typical anime can offer to you. Beast girls. Cute robots. Power of friendship. Cute girls doing cute things. Weird monsters. Catchy opening and ending. And on top of that a bit of fucked up post-apocalyptic suspense.
Also, it can teach you that animation quality is not the main factor for liking the show and how sequels can ruin everything.

Jan 10, 2021 2:22 AM

Mar 2015
Inuyasha is what got me into anime because I thought it looked epic. Inuyasha isn't that great though, so uhhhh it depends mostly on what they like. Anything from toonami would be a good start probably.
Jan 19, 2021 12:36 AM
Jun 2019
I think great pretender is a great first anime because there's not enything weird about it at least if they are used to western movies. Then they don't have to get used to the tipicly japanese part just the animation. And then you can recommend something a little weird like the promised neverland, one punch man, blood blocked battlefront or something else idk. The most important thing I think is to just don't recomd something that would just seem perverted or creepy to them.

This is if they are skeptical towards anime.
Moon_man2Jan 19, 2021 12:56 AM
Jan 19, 2021 1:23 AM
Jan 2015
It really depends on who I'm trying to introduce anime to.

Considering most of my friends these days are old farts, I'm often trying to prove that anime is diverse and isn't jam-packed with people screaming their heads off, with glowing hair and fisticuffs.

Cowboy Bebop, Baccano and Erased have gone down well. All relatively short, contained stories.
Jan 19, 2021 1:30 AM

Apr 2020
I think everyone will agree that interspecies reviewers is the best gateway anime .
Jan 19, 2021 1:43 AM

Oct 2020
Romance genre would be Tsurezure Children, as it is just a nice comedic love story between several characters. The beginner watcher would catch that romance vibe and started to like the vibe that anime of this particular genre brings and then ends up wanting more, and they WILL learn on how to understand a character development on a character heavy animes as well.

Shounen genre would be One Punch Man, as it is very popular in the eyes of non-weeb, and the plot is very easy to understand. Plus, the fight scenes is epic enough to make the beginner watcher wanting more.

Sport genre would be Haikyuu, as it is focusing not only on the sport aspect but rather more focused on each of the characters development and friendships.

Psychological genre is the one genre that will use your mind more than usual to understand the plot. For this genre, my recommendation would be Grisaia no Kajitsu, as it has a plot that focuses more on each of the character's past event and present events that would make the beginner watcher learns on how to understand this kind of character development approach. Plus, the gore scene is not too much for the beginner watcher to handle.

That's my thought on what is the "perfect" anime to start. But all of the animes I mention is not "perfect". I just thought it would be more "fitting" rather than "perfect". Also, starting an anime with an idea of what anime is "perfect" for a beginner is confusing. U would need a specification on what genre they're interested in.
Daxonzion-Jan 19, 2021 1:51 AM

"ꜱᴛʀᴇɴɢᴛʜ ᴏꜰ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ, ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴜɴɪᴛᴇᴅ, ɪᴛ'ꜱ ʙᴀʀʀᴇᴅ ʙʏ ɴᴏ ᴅᴏᴏʀ..." -Aigis
Jan 19, 2021 2:20 AM

Dec 2018
ElNombre said:
It really depends on who I'm trying to introduce anime to.

Considering most of my friends these days are old farts, I'm often trying to prove that anime is diverse and isn't jam-packed with people screaming their heads off, with glowing hair and fisticuffs.

Cowboy Bebop, Baccano and Erased have gone down well. All relatively short, contained stories.

you've been on MAL sunce 2015, and your first post was on my thread... I'm honored
Jan 19, 2021 2:25 AM
Nov 2020
My first anime was Aot which I found really diffuclt to comprehend at the time. I would personally say that OPM and BNHA are pretty good first animes.
kyutarenJan 19, 2021 8:46 AM

Jan 19, 2021 2:30 AM
Jul 2018
Hellsing Ultimate would be my first recommendation.
Jan 19, 2021 2:36 AM
May 2018
Glad to see so many people mention Death Note and Koe no Katachi!
Those two are definitely a great start for beginners, because it doesn't have the "japanesque culture" (you know... moe, over-the-top anime reactions, harems, the usual stuff...). Death Note gives you a glimpse of what anime is, while still showing a ground-to-earth world with believable characters, so the beginner wouldn't feel weirded out. Same for Koe no Katachi.

But if we take into account that the beginner must discover the "japanesque culture" sooner or later... personally, I would say Sword Art Online. Yes, it has its fair share of flaws, but it delivers a proper view of what japanimation is, with great production value, and a simple story that can appeal to anyone... while showing the "madness" of anime, lol.

Also, it's usually better not to start with the best of the best... Death Note could ruin other "clever shows" for you because it's so damn clever ; Koe no Katachi could ruin other emotional shows for you because it's so damn powerful.
Better start with something on a bit lower level, while still being decent. SAO fits the bill, and I'd say any "long shonen" could do it too (although I usually recommend against them, they mostly suck and are way too long).

PS: One Punch Man is a very bad idea. It's a shônen parody, it's only effective if you know shônens... meaning, if you're not a beginner.
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
Jan 19, 2021 2:39 AM

Dec 2015
overall probably Attack on Titan
sports something Haikyuu
comedy probably Kono suba
thriller Yakusoku no Neverland
Jan 19, 2021 2:45 AM

Oct 2020
Dante012 said:
Those two are definitely a great start for beginners, because it doesn't have the "japanesque culture" (you know... moe, over-the-top anime reactions, harems, the usual stuff...). Death Note gives you a glimpse of what anime is, while still showing a ground-to-earth world with believable characters, so the beginner wouldn't feel weirded out. Same for Koe no Katachi.

But if we take into account that the beginner must discover the "japanesque culture" sooner or later... personally, I would say Sword Art Online. Yes, it has its fair share of flaws, but it delivers a proper view of what japanimation is, with great production value, and a simple story that can appeal to anyone... while showing the "madness" of anime, lol.

Also, it's usually better not to start with the best of the best... Death Note could ruin other "clever shows" for you because it's so damn clever ; Koe no Katachi could ruin other emotional shows for you because it's so damn powerful.
Better start with something on a bit lower level, while still being decent. SAO fits the bill, and I'd say any "long shonen" could do it too (although I usually recommend against them, they mostly suck and are way too long).

PS: One Punch Man is a very bad idea. It's a shônen parody, it's only effective if you know shônens... meaning, if you're not a beginner.

I completely agree on starting with a "lower-level" animes with a little of brain usage. The beginner watcher need to tolerate those brain usage kind of level over time and get used to it by themself.

"ꜱᴛʀᴇɴɢᴛʜ ᴏꜰ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ, ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴜɴɪᴛᴇᴅ, ɪᴛ'ꜱ ʙᴀʀʀᴇᴅ ʙʏ ɴᴏ ᴅᴏᴏʀ..." -Aigis
Jan 19, 2021 2:48 AM
May 2016
Boku no pico.Just take them straight to hell.
Jan 19, 2021 3:36 AM

Dec 2018
kyutaren said:
My first anime was Aot which I found really diffuclt to comprehent at the time. I would personally say that OPM and BNHA are pretty good first animes.

why tho. like are u dumb. just kidding. I guess anime can be hard to comprehend if you are only used to western series.
Jan 19, 2021 3:38 AM

Dec 2018
DaViZZ said:
Hellsing Ultimate would be my first recommendation.

Good show, lots of action with great characters., the episodes are long compared to other animes, but pretty normal compared to western shows
Jan 19, 2021 3:40 AM

Jul 2020
Death Note or Shingeki no Kyojin without a doubt. Some of the most popular gateway anime

"Mankind’s greatest fear is Mankind itself."

My candies:
Jan 19, 2021 3:41 AM

Dec 2018
Dante012 said:
Those two are definitely a great start for beginners, because it doesn't have the "japanesque culture" (you know... moe, over-the-top anime reactions, harems, the usual stuff...).e.

I agree with this part. also, have you noticed that the best shows usually don't have over the top reaction, harem and jus stupid stuff in general. that's just my opinion tho. i can still enjoy simple stuff like hajime no ippo and Naruto. but those are good in another way than serial experiments lain, NGE, Vagabond and Berserk.
Jan 19, 2021 3:42 AM

Jul 2020
AwokenStroken said:
I'd probably recommend a big three. Naruto, Bleach or One Piece
were tryna get a person into anime, not scare them away from it.

"Mankind’s greatest fear is Mankind itself."

My candies:
Jan 19, 2021 3:42 AM

Dec 2018
Haraa said:
Boku no pico.Just take them straight to hell.

you mean straight to heaven********
Jan 19, 2021 3:43 AM

May 2020
Probably AOT, everyone will get attracted to the pc once it plays
Jan 19, 2021 3:44 AM

Dec 2018
Dante012 said:

nah bruh, it's so simple and easy to watch, while still being able to keep the viewer attention. plus the characters are funny. I know people who have never watched anime who like OPM.
Jan 19, 2021 3:46 AM

Dec 2018
Arhxn2411 said:
AwokenStroken said:
I'd probably recommend a big three. Naruto, Bleach or One Piece
were tryna get a person into anime, not scare them away from it.

^^^^^this man speaking straight fax
Feb 8, 2021 6:55 PM

Feb 2021
Evangelion lol, share with friends and family xD

Jokes asides, a comedy maybe ? In other hand i reccomend shoujos hahhayzhahzahhaha
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you feel just not excited for anime these days? ( 1 2 )

anizawa89 - May 10

63 by Nurguburu »»
6 minutes ago

» Would you allow an anime robot resembling an attractive human female to take your virginity?

TsutanaiFuun - 7 hours ago

34 by DesuMaiden »»
8 minutes ago

» Which of your favorite anime actually has the most interesting story?

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

23 by BitChilly »»
18 minutes ago

» Hidden Gems of Spring 2024

ForgotEyeWasHere - May 11

31 by BitChilly »»
21 minutes ago

» What do you wish to see ??

Lion_Sin - 8 hours ago

23 by weebtoge »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.