Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 28, 2020 4:48 AM

Sep 2019
I didn’t like most of the characters’ designs but it was a good episode. It looks like the pink haired one is going to be my best boy.
Dec 28, 2020 5:06 AM

Sep 2009
is this baiting? any shounen-ai?

Check out~ ♥ Some quality AMV:s made with love ♥ My Youtube
Dec 28, 2020 11:43 AM
Jul 2020
Episode came out earlier than expected but i'm definitely not complaining! I have very high hopes for this anime and so for it's doing really good :) I can't wait til they introduce the other characters !
Dec 28, 2020 4:58 PM

Jul 2020
This first episode just feels like Yuri on Ice with less stakes, less homoeroticism, and worse animation
Dec 28, 2020 8:22 PM

Mar 2020
Honestly I do not think this shows choreography can top the likes of the Yuri on Ice choreography but will see where this goes.
Dec 29, 2020 6:55 AM

Jan 2008
Not going to make waves but enjoyable enough.

I'll watch the next few episodes to see how it goes but so far so good.

I do hope it's not just vague fujoshi baiting though. Would like to see it actually go into Shounen ai territory. But not hopeful on that front.
Dec 29, 2020 7:19 AM

Dec 2016
It was OK. Quite typical plot. It's giving heavy vibes of Number24, Try Knights and Prince of stride.

Maeshima copying Reo's routine like how Yuri copied Victor in the 1st episode.

Figure skating animation wise MAPPA did it better with Yuri on Ice in my opinion.

Reo literally looking like a long lost son of Gojo Satoru ⊙_⊙

Now let's see how Bones does with SK8.
Dec 29, 2020 11:56 AM
Oct 2020
Came here for the Yana Toboso's character design and to see if it was worth watching and the first episode certainly caught my attention

The plot is basically a typical sports anime plot.
We have our prota that has his cliché reasons to enjoy skating and to drop it til high school.
Prota's opponent that is kind of a prodigy and seems very cold-hearted at the beginning at least.
The team with a lot of different personalities and an interesting character who is now kinda prota's "coach".
All of them seems to be really charismatic and the sport they play looks pretty intense and interesting.

So I expect it to be a very good typical sports anime with exciting matches, fun characters and the growth of the protagonist through the episodes. If it is just this following what the fist episode shows us, it can be certanly enjoyable.
Dec 29, 2020 5:38 PM

May 2017
Reo looks like Atsushi from Bungo Stray Dogs lol

I like the ice skating animation here better than in Yuri on Ice
Dec 30, 2020 6:39 AM

Nov 2019
Should've just called it iDOLs on Ice..

Is this going to be another one of those shows where they pretend all the guys are straight and unattached..

Dead parents.. Car accident.. How imaginative..

Dec 30, 2020 4:32 PM
May 2015
On the one hand, this skate-leading thing is quite interesting if you are a fan of figure skating, and it seems like there could be some cool stuff to take from this.

On the other hand, the animation of the actual skating is not too bad, but there's just very little animated stuff in this first episode to actually watch. People criticized MAPPA for their consistency, but they animated dozens upon dozens of full programs, a lot of them different, some several minutes long. Here were have a few scenes, and they are just copies of one another. Also, the MC seems pretty terrible from the start, and the entire plot of the first episode veered from weird to creepy way too fast.

It seems like it could be fun, I just don't know if it will be.
Dec 30, 2020 7:23 PM

Jan 2010
I went in with pretty low expectations, considering this is from JC Staff who doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to animating anime with lots of action, such as the dumpster fire that was OPM s2. That and the premise seemed pretty mediocre.

This first ep was better than I expected, but holy crap, that pacing. SO much was crammed into one episode. I guess better to get the plot going, but some parts were so jarring. Like why that other skater with the glasses hates the mc so much? Like chill dude. The mc is kinda cocky, but I'd honestly prefer that over him being a goodie-two-shoes, heart of gold mc, which would be pretty boring.

With such a large cast, I'm sure most of them will get zero character development and stay one-dimensional. I hope the Mc's rival at least gets some character development. I hate emotionless rival characters that only act as a foil to the mc, but don't get any character development/growth at all.

I don't like throwing around the term "fujobait" but this reeks of it. Like with that one effeminate skater with the long brown hair and the pink haired skater. I'm sure they'll all stay 1000% "hetero" though, which is also annoying, but you just gotta accept it with these all-male cast anime.

the animation quality for the skating sequences varied from bad to average. Although the quads were decent looking. Honestly if it weren't for the fact that I really enjoy watching ice skating, I wouldn't even bother with this anime.

I'll keep watching it for now. I typically don't drop an anime unless something happens in it that really pisses me off. Yet at the same time, considering how stacked the rest of the 2021 Winter season is gonna be, I might just lose interest in this one.
Dec 31, 2020 5:45 AM

Mar 2016
It was an okay episode. Normally, I'd talk about the stuff that stood out, both good and bad, but nothing stood out in this episode. This was very ordinary.

However, I hope this turns into something amazing. This has Toboso Yana's designs, and I don't want it to be wasted in anything less than amazing.
Dec 31, 2020 11:33 AM

Mar 2020
It was better than what I expected, I will watch the next episodes.
check out odd taxi
Dec 31, 2020 12:57 PM
Nov 2019
The op was good. The animation is meh. The sport itself is uninteresting too and the action sequences had subpar animation. Looks like the iwakakeru of this season to me.
Jan 2, 2021 12:51 PM
Oct 2020
It was an okay beginning.

Nothing unusual or extraordinary, but still I welcome sports animes with a good sense of 'rivalry ' in it. It is fun to watch. I hope they explore and develop it better in the next ep.s

skating scenes were also nice.

Curious about how the story will go.

Jan 3, 2021 7:58 AM

Jun 2020
L M A O I’m living for this voice cast

And Sasugai sure is a wacko lol

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Jan 3, 2021 11:14 AM

Feb 2019

The most interesting thing you can say about this is that they commit a major felony and competition violation that would get them blacklisted from any reputable sport and probably thrown in jail, and they just coast over it as a gag. The next most interesting thing is how messed up it is for your grandparents to be attending a 10 year old's sports competitions, holding up pictures of his dead parents. That's about the start and end of the list of interesting things though. Maybe the super weird news coverage of 10 year olds? Does that count? Because let's reflect on how deeply bizarre it would be to try to talk up personal high school rivalries, and then cut the ages in half.

A lack of fidelity to or focus on the (fake) sport is far from the worst thing, but what else is there? Dude always loses to his rival. Time skip. Rival is still doing sport. Dude decides to rejoin the sport he apparently quit and instantly wows literally everybody with a single move. This isn't a made-up sport show like Keijo where everything is bonkers. It doesn't have a particular passion or affinity for skating like Harukana Recieve. It does the standard slight over-animation of the sport itself to try to show its chops, but that's about it. The dude rants about how he can jump and spin while skating. That's as tied to figure skating as it gets, and the whole team thing is not a part of this episode at all, nor the next one for that matter since I did quickly flip through it.
Jan 3, 2021 6:23 PM

Jul 2016
Why do I feel this whole Skate-Leading thing is just an excuse to have an Idol anime being advertised as a spokon?

Anyways, okay start overall. I like Kensei as protagonist and the animation seems decent enough.
Jan 3, 2021 6:30 PM

Oct 2008
glad there was no CG on this one!
5/5.

Jan 3, 2021 10:10 PM
Apr 2020
Yuri!!! On Ice is a more superior ice skating anime, but this have its own good point, and a team sport. This is quite interesting.

Ao_SkyJan 3, 2021 10:42 PM
Jan 8, 2021 8:49 AM
Jan 2021
It’s entertaining but I can’t lie it’s so unrealistic lol. This is my guilty pleasure show of the season I guess. I can’t lie though, the animation is actually decent and I like the OP. Otherwise this is as cookie cutter as it gets, we’ll see how this turns out..
Jan 10, 2021 4:02 AM

Dec 2008
Very good start. I like the characters.
Jan 10, 2021 4:17 PM

Oct 2019
Only one i've watched in the new season but its already my favourite
Jan 11, 2021 10:22 AM

Apr 2017
Echoing everyone else who said that this wasn't that good.

There were a lot of characters introduced and only like 3 stood out: the red-haired guy with a typical "I'm going to stand at the top" motivation, the white-haired guy who's the cold type, and the orange-haired guy who was smug.

The animation wasn't that impressive outside of a handful of skating shots, and I didn't like how they interrupted the skating routines with cuts to other characters. Any skating scene was basically 10% skating, 90% shots of another character. A lot of shots where the camera just moves around a still (or with minimal movement) image.

I guess the funniest part was the red-haired guy being INTENSE the entire episode, then that other guy just tells him "no" when he comes up all eager to join their club.

Will probably give this 1-2 more episodes to see how it goes, but it didn't grab me at all.
Jan 12, 2021 2:34 PM

Nov 2012
"Oh, this is a Yuri on Ice knock-off."

Nah. For one thing, it has decent animation direction.

pandemonium91 said:
Any skating scene was basically 10% skating, 90% shots of another character. A lot of shots where the camera just moves around a still (or with minimal movement) image.

This is true, and I can see how it might put some viewers off, but it's also what no doubt saved the animation.

YOI tried to be way too ambitious with animating its figure skating sequences so fully on such a budget/time crunch and ended up making them all choppy and made the way characters narrated how they put their souls into their performances drawn on fives laughably awkward.

This show's director, on the other hand, seems to know how to work on a limited budget and focus skating routines on a few sakuga shots interlaced with cutaways to other, less animation strenuous content while keeping an emotional arc going. It doesn't have the budget to animate everything, and it knows it, so the director figured out what is most important, and it keeps the whole show looking clean.

That's not just to slam on YOI - it's exciting to know it's getting a movie that will presumably have the budget to finally make those animated skating scenes look like how the characters feel - but it's obvious this show learned from a few of the original YOI anime's failures.
Jan 12, 2021 3:00 PM

Apr 2017
@Netbug
I guess it comes down to what you're expecting. Going into this, I wasn't expecting YOI 2.0 or a cheap copy of it at all; what I was expecting was something to make it stand out from other shows where the MC is hyper and chasing a goal.

Usually, shows pull out the sakuga at the very start, in a few key moments, and at the very end; here, there were like a few seconds of sakuga. And we weren't even allowed to see most of the skating! We're TOLD how awesome it is, not shown, and I personally see this as a mistake. And again, interrupting the skating routines with uninteresting cuts to random characters commenting on it, in an anime about skating, is weird. This is the MC's big moment and we can't even see most of it.

To me, this wasn't a good first/introductory episode because there was too much information dumped all at once and you don't get a chance to just breathe and take it all in. MC is at a competition in middle school, then he's in high school, then he wants to join a club, then he struggles with his dream, then 5 other characters pop up - too much all at once.

About the YOI movie...who even knows if it's going to be made at all, haha. I wish!
Jan 14, 2021 9:34 AM

May 2015
I'm glad it wasn't bad, it's interesting to watch something about skating and also Kamiya Hiroshi is here, so automatically a must-watch for me:) I'm kidding, I wouldn't bother if it was too cringy but it's not, so that's a good start. And I don't mind the idol-anime resemblance, it can be relaxing as well to watch all these cute boys working hard to achieve their goals. They were quite diverse, although very recognizable types from any other similar anime, but oh well, it could be worse.
Jan 24, 2021 8:56 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
A group type of a figure skating called a skate-leading? Intriguing concept. But some art and animation in a certain parts kinda bugged me. Its quite bad. Fortunately the mock show between the two main rivals seems decent enough to be continue. Moreover with that manipulative Shinozaki younger half-brother. He sounds interesting. So, yeah, i can say that i have enough motivation to go on. Still, this is not a highly anticipated show like many over-the-top shows. The art and animation look very average in this first episode, i don't even find any catching-breath moment beside the last and only scene near the end, and the casts are just full of bishounen, not my fullest expectation.

However, as the concept of skating already intriguing me, i can say that i will watch this one till the end. Beside another fact that its already on my ptw xd.

So, yeah, lets me see the second one!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges

More topics from this board

Poll: » Skate-Leading☆Stars Episode 6 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jan 31, 2021

8 by shah7398 »»
Mar 8, 4:43 AM

Poll: » Skate-Leading☆Stars Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 7, 2021

16 by shah7398 »»
Feb 1, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Skate-Leading☆Stars Episode 12 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 14, 2021

29 by acrylic7 »»
Mar 29, 2023 7:28 AM

» As a figure skating fan...

Bell_cz - Mar 14, 2021

10 by acrylic7 »»
Mar 29, 2023 7:26 AM

» Is this BL tease fujoshi bait or is it a normal sports anime?

FrozenDevilz - Jul 1, 2021

15 by -Flaky- »»
Sep 20, 2022 11:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.