Forum Settings
Forums

What constitutes being a good person to you? Do you believe you are a good person?

New
Nov 14, 2020 7:27 PM
Jul 2018
In your opinion, what determines whether or not someone is a good person?

Do you believe that "whether or not you believe in certain religious dogmas" has any effect on it? Do you believe political and social views have an effect on it? Do you believe that "what you wish on people in your head", even if you never act on it or say it, affects whether or not you are a good person?

To what degree do you think mental health issues have an effect? Many people deal with mental health issues to varying degrees. How much do you believe in forgiveness when someone's hurtful actions are partially, mostly, (or completely?) due to mental health issues?

And, related to the topic somewhat, how much do you believe in forgiveness in general?

Do you believe you are a good person? Has that changed over the years? Did you used to be a good person, but you don't think you are anymore, or vice versa?
Nov 14, 2020 7:39 PM

Jan 2009
my scumbag brain is evil at least and i try to be the lesser evil because of that

as for forgiveness especially self-forgiveness
"ive been dragging around whats keeping me down if i just let go i will be set free"

Nov 14, 2020 7:41 PM

Apr 2020
A good person is a person who sticks to their values and treats people with reason. Additionally they behave in the right way, meaning they are respectful and commit actions that are conducive to social harmony / protect human or nonhuman lives (if it ever escalates to that). That's all

whether or not you believe in certain religious dogmas
I don't believe that religion matters in this question personally. Most religious dogmas are based on social rules relatively consistent between cultures anyway so exclusively focusing on religion isn't right.

political and social views
I don't think that political views have anything to do with it. Heck, most of my friends are the complete political opposite to me but I consider them good people. Socially, yeah I think that a person who behaves in a way that isn't disrespectful to people is good.

what you wish on people in your head
That is very difficult to determine since we can't read minds. I think as long as a person says the right things and does the right things, they are good people. Until they begin to contradict that "track record," they're fine regardless of what they think. We aren't the thought police after all.

mental health issues
This is difficult as well since mental illness separates intent from actions. Generally I think people should be forgiving on those with mental illnesses to a reasonable extent, I would be hesitant to forgive someone of a massive transgression no matter the context.

do you believe in forgiveness in general?
Yes I do to a reasonable extent. Holding grudges is not productive.

I do think I'm a good person, but like every human there are times when that state of being "good" wavers and you fuck up some times
_henriNov 14, 2020 7:46 PM
it's over | we're so back | don't take this too seriously

Nov 14, 2020 7:42 PM
Dec 2017
I'm a complete cynic and i can be really heartless. But that doens't mean i lack morals. I don't pick fights or get involved in another persons fights. I don't drink or smoke and i always treat everyone as the way i want to be treated and i've been known to be very good for a favor due loyalty and i can be really nicer to animals than i am to humans so i'd say i'm a good person with a better sense of morality unlike these tik tokers.

Nov 14, 2020 7:42 PM

Feb 2019
I think the best indicator is acting with consideration of other peoples needs, however not really necessarily requiring you to go out of your way. Most people are "good" enough if they have respect and courtesy for others in my opinion.
I also think that a lot of people just act good for show, and would be bad when no one is looking.
Crow_Black said:
i always treat everyone as the way i want to be treated
this is good i think :D
Nov 14, 2020 7:44 PM

Feb 2018
persons who change the sidewalk because they think you are going to rob them are not good persons.
Nov 14, 2020 7:58 PM

May 2016
Not breaking the law doesn't make you a good person. Morals is also a part.

If you see some retard across the street a good person wouldn't laugh. If you see someone in need, a good person would help. If you see someone struggling, a good person would try to help if they could/not laugh at them. Etc

I think it is obvious what a good person is.

I sadly am not one of them. I play LOL and I wish I could be like the people who are on my team where we get ass raped 30-4 and they stay calm and collected while I cannot help but tell my team to kill themselves while I afk.
Nov 14, 2020 8:07 PM

Jan 2009
SargonTheGreat said:
Not stealing, not advocating for theft, not murdering, not advocating for murder, respecting other peoples rights and respecting the societies culture.

lol you have to imply higher taxes (for the rich) and abortion again on that one

capitalism destroys culture you know that well but you still support it
Nov 14, 2020 8:12 PM

Jun 2020
being a good person is so damn subjective. there is no definition for "good" in my opinion.

and no im not a good person from my perspective, i think a lot of people deserve death
Nov 14, 2020 8:19 PM
Jul 2018
To me a good person is someone who accepts everyone even if it goes against their own personal beliefs and will not bring harm to people.

For example:
Good guy: Believes that being gay goes against their morals, but will still support equal rights and accept gay people as valid.
Bad guy: Believes that being gay goes against their morals which makes them express their hatred against gay people for existing.

I try to love and respect everyone regardless of my own personal morals, except Nazis, I'll proudly show my hatred for them.
Nov 14, 2020 8:24 PM

Jan 2009
SargonTheGreat said:
deg said:

lol you have to imply higher taxes (for the rich) and abortion again on that one

capitalism destroys culture you know that well but you still support it
Nah the patron system which created alot of amazing art was pretty capitalist, what destroys culture is degeneracy and hedonism

and capitalism to maximize profit will exploit that addiction tendencies of humans
Nov 14, 2020 8:30 PM

Jun 2020
chloeco3 said:
To me a good person is someone who accepts everyone even if it goes against their own personal beliefs and will not bring harm to people.

For example:
Good guy: Believes that being gay goes against their morals, but will still support equal rights and accept gay people as valid.
Bad guy: Believes that being gay goes against their morals which makes them express their hatred against gay people for existing.

I try to love and respect everyone regardless of my own personal morals, except Nazis, I'll proudly show my hatred for them.

exactly, ill never understand why people are against gays. i just let them be, they can do whatever they want as long as it doesnt affect me
Nov 14, 2020 8:50 PM

Sep 2017
I'm not one to ask for forgiveness so I try not to irritate anyone in general (exceptions, people that I hate)
خ
Nov 14, 2020 8:54 PM
Jul 2018
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
I sadly am not one of them. I play LOL and I wish I could be like the people who are on my team where we get ass raped 30-4 and they stay calm and collected while I cannot help but tell my team to kill themselves while I afk.

I don't play video games really but emotionally I feel that. I do not consider myself a good person. I used to be a really good person, really nice, really slow to anger. Edit: I wrote a bunch of other stuff but I deleted it because I don't want it on there publicly.

Possibly more thoughts coming later when I have more energy.
removed-userNov 14, 2020 10:13 PM
Nov 14, 2020 9:10 PM

Mar 2012
You need to be a law abiding citizen and please people in society, at the end of the day it's society that will put labels on you - good ones if they like you, bad if they don't. Mental health isn't a big thing where I live - you are either "normal" or "mad" (basically mentally retarded to the point of not understanding anything and it's alright to beat up such people because they won't understand you anyways).

As for me, I'm a bad person.
Nov 14, 2020 9:51 PM

Feb 2015
Basically anyone who's not an incorrigible dick or a cunt, or worse, an incontinent asshole.
Nov 15, 2020 6:22 AM
Jul 2020
No one is 'good'. We are all morally ambiguous under moral dilemmas. It's just human nature.
Nov 15, 2020 6:38 AM

Oct 2020
i mean yeah sure, but its not up for me to decide whether my actions are valid to be considered as good if i'm doing it intentionally or not. though coming from a religious background, i guess i picked up some examples that limits myself to certain things that causes something negative shit related.
Nov 15, 2020 11:05 AM
Jul 2020
I think being a good person is caring about others, and not only the ones u r close too, but every living being, having empathy and trying to be better. I do consider myself a good person but as everyone w many flaws, but also that tries to be my best self towards me, others and the world.
Nov 15, 2020 5:14 PM

Nov 2017
For me, it boils down to how you treat other people. Treating others with decency and kindness. Having empathy, sympathy, understanding of others, and treating others well. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others. That's the gist of it.

Do I think I'm a good person? Hm, I do my best to be an ethical person and make sure my actions are aligned with my values. I see this kind of thing to be more of a process than a fixed state of being. I'm not perfect so I make mistakes, have my flaws and fair share of mess ups I'll have to live with for the rest of my life. I usually try to make stuff right if I can though
Nov 15, 2020 5:16 PM

Dec 2015
All you have to do to be a good person is not be a jerk to everyone around you
This is also the reason I fail at being a good person.
Nov 15, 2020 5:42 PM

Sep 2020
as others have said, treating people well, even if you are malicious in the long run, gives off the impression you're a good person.

i generally treat people with indifference unless I personally know them so i'm in the neutral area.
hmm.
Nov 15, 2020 5:51 PM

Mar 2008
Good is being caring, kind, selfless acts, not intentionally hurting others, and being considerate to not disregard everything others want for themselves among a bunch of other traits. Am I? I hope so.
Nov 15, 2020 6:08 PM

Apr 2019
Most people do good to receive love, appreciation, fame, acceptance, etc. but a genuinely good person is someone who's good for the sake of it, not for what they get in return.

They will treat the janitor the same as the CEO. Acts in public the same way in private. Helps someone without needing to tell anyone about it.

As for forgiveness - it's a must, as grudges are just an unnecessary burden to carry.
I believe letting go of not only grudges, but also other emotional baggage's are what makes a healthy mindset.

Nov 15, 2020 6:19 PM

Oct 2014
anyone who does single file to me is a saint. on tight footpaths I can't understand why you wouldn't do single file unless you are a scumbag.
Nov 15, 2020 7:30 PM

Sep 2020
Just don't be a dick and it's all good.
Nov 15, 2020 7:55 PM

Feb 2010
i don't try to be a "good" person just a kind one.

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

More topics from this board

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

679 by Hitagi__Furude »»
39 minutes ago

» What sort of education did you get?

removed-user - Dec 23, 2019

47 by beazy12 »»
49 minutes ago

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

48 by perfectlyquiet »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Do you care about your native culture?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 9

45 by Bruh69XD »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

45 by MasterTasuke »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.