Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 3, 2020 7:00 AM

Oct 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
throughout the first half of the episode I was searching for the one-eyed man, where is he? is the girl's father? when we'll get to fight him? only to be rewarded with the biggest twist in a final episode that I know of.
So Sanshirou fights and kills the mobster, who was the girl's father, then the girl wants to get her revenge on Sanshirou, just like Sanshirou wanted his revenge against the one-eyed man. We had a flashback in the beginning of the episode with his mom and now we get to see his father training him in the spirit of judo.
Sanshirou is prepared to die, he renounces everything, his belt is cut, o hole appears in the judogi because of the girl's sword, but she doesn't kill him, she prefers to separate from him, to go on a journey of self discovery now that she has no parents.

Now, Sanshirou wasn't spared because the girl thought she was better than him (the usual cliche), no, she just couldn't do it because she liked him, she didn't wanna kill anyone. For Sanshirou this was the end result in his quest, the futility of revenge. He actually lost to the one-eyed man back in episode 20 if I remember correctly, now he wants to fight him like a martial artist, not like a man who thirsts for blood.
In the end, the one eyed man was a symbol of the "material", man should not pursue things in this life but try to make himself better by living, that's why he said that he was prepared to die at the hands of Emily or what her name was, he saw the answer in her, the pursuit for happiness. Just look at how angry and obsessed he was in the early episodes and after his loss, he was a mess, a non human, but now he pursues true values, he is a judoka so he will fight his inner demons as a judoka.

Outstanding anime, literally a masterpiece, but you have to have the eyes to see it, follow it and enjoy it. It was an incredible journey for me, I watched this anime when I was a child and couldn't understand anything, I thought it was a simple revenge story, I still believed it till this last scene dropped. What an incredible discovery.
9/10 because of some silly things but the overall message is 10/10
May 31, 2022 9:14 PM

Sep 2018
I enjoyed how it ended though the mc must have had super intuition to take the gamble he did. Kind of surprising he now pursues one eyed man only for martial arts now.
Sep 4, 2022 11:30 PM

Dec 2021
Wew, that's finally over. I think I can safely say this was the cheesiest anime I've ever watched, though that isn't a bad thing. It's like watching the similarly as old American classic, Scooby-Doo, it's no masterpiece, but it sure as hell is entertaining to watch. Too bad the one-eyed man was never found. This was a low 7/10, better than the other Tatsunoko anime I've watched (Merai Keisatsu Urashiman), but still only really notable for the above average animation for the time.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kurenai Sanshirou Episode 1 Discussion

FMmatron - Nov 29, 2019

4 by RodxD »»
Apr 24, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Kurenai Sanshirou Episode 10 Discussion

Catalano - Jul 10, 2020

1 by Daviljoe193 »»
Jun 7, 2022 12:31 AM

Poll: » Kurenai Sanshirou Episode 8 Discussion

Catalano - Jun 19, 2020

1 by Daviljoe193 »»
May 10, 2022 1:47 AM

Poll: » Kurenai Sanshirou Episode 2 Discussion

FMmatron - Nov 29, 2019

3 by St0rmblade »»
May 2, 2022 1:39 PM

Poll: » Kurenai Sanshirou Episode 6 Discussion

Catalano - May 31, 2020

1 by Daviljoe193 »»
Apr 25, 2022 10:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.