Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 8, 2020 6:42 PM

Sep 2020
Is it Engrish level or Lenin-approved level? And please no сука блять in this thread alright?

If you're having crippling depression, hopefully our videos will send you to another world and have you reborn as an isekai protagonist
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc8rSgYdcdZUSXXqVJhNwLw
Oct 8, 2020 9:09 PM

Jul 2017
Hearing Russian in this anime really caught me off guard. I'd say, Tsukishima is pretty decent and his speech is quite understandable(although,his accent is still very strong). The rest of the "Russian boys" are pretty hard to understand without subtitles, because of the accent. I think it's Engrish level, maybe a little better ("Ti so mnoy ne shuti"( "Do not mess with me") from Tsukishima at the end was powerful af!).
Oct 11, 2020 7:03 AM
Mar 2015
In Japan Sinks, the level of Russian is acceptable, but here is a piece of shit.
Oct 11, 2020 7:16 AM
Jul 2018
How would you expect people to speak one of the most difficult languages? It is not even Japanese speaking English, which is one of the easiest languages. Anyways, when it comes to small sentences, they are pretty good. However, when they start using more complicated structures, this is when it becomes… somewhat of a problem. Surprisingly, they still speak Russian better in Golden Kamuy than in any other anime, when Japanese voice actors use Japanglish.

Russkiy moi vtoroi inostranniy yazik, kotoriy ya viychil. Seichas ya mogu govorit’ na chetireh yazikah, I uchu pyatiy. (Russian is my second foreign language. I speak 4 now and trying to learn the 5th).
removed-userOct 11, 2020 7:19 AM
Oct 11, 2020 8:51 AM
Mar 2015
Watame said:
Russkiy moi vtoroi inostranniy yazik, kotoriy ya viychil. Seichas ya mogu govorit’ na chetireh yazikah, I uchu pyatiy. (Russian is my second foreign language. I speak 4 now and trying to learn the 5th).

Тут не самый худший пример использования русского языка, но и до среднего уровне не дотягивает.
This is not the worst example of the use of the Russian language, but it does not reach the average level either (this is the translation of the sentence before).

In Great Pretender the creators called in other actors to speak in Chinese and English, and the sound is good there. Of course, it turned out ideal with Klara in Girls and Panzer.
Oct 11, 2020 10:50 AM
Mar 2015
Watame said:

Dude, your English is average; the language that is considered one of the easiest. Feel free to criticize how I speak other languages, when you manage to learn 2 foreign languages.

EDIT:
'до среднего уровне'
A Russian that does not speak Russian. Hilarious.

So I never wrote that my English is good.
А по поводу моего русского, то я писал про то как он представлен в аниме, поправьте меня если я ошибся, а не делайте поспешных выводов о моём уровне по одной ошибке в падеже.
Oct 11, 2020 10:55 AM
Jul 2018
@Lev1athan
That was a misunderstanding. I am sorry for that!!
Oct 11, 2020 12:13 PM
Apr 2010
Hideous. Actually, the author of the manga did a great job, inviting a russian expert to translate all the russian lines in manga, that's why all russian text there looks extremely credible. On the other hand, there's nothing even close to such attention to details in anime. Most of russian lines are clearly voiced by japanese guys who speak russian first or second time in their lives. Why can't anime staff just follow author's example and hire russian voice actors? It's not that hard, considering there's internet around. Very disappointed.
Oct 11, 2020 12:21 PM

Sep 2020
Dohn_Jow said:
Hideous. Actually, the author of the manga did a great job, inviting a russian expert to translate all the russian lines in manga, that's why all russian text there looks extremely credible. On the other hand, there's nothing even close to such attention to details in anime. Most of russian lines are clearly voiced by japanese guys who speak russian first or second time in their lives. Why can't anime staff just follow author's example and hire russian voice actors? It's not that hard, considering there's internet around. Very disappointed.

Hmmm... thank you for the trivia about the manga, that's good to know. We plan to do an impression on this anime soon and will make sure to insert that in. Author did very good research on Ainu culture and I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he paid the same level of dedication to the Russian language too

If you're having crippling depression, hopefully our videos will send you to another world and have you reborn as an isekai protagonist
Oct 12, 2020 8:43 AM
Jul 2016
Futari_no_Ossan said:
Dohn_Jow said:

Hmmm... thank you for the trivia about the manga, that's good to know. We plan to do an impression on this anime soon and will make sure to insert that in. Author did very good research on Ainu culture and I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he paid the same level of dedication to the Russian language too
Futari_no_Ossan said:
Dohn_Jow said:

Okay so this has nothing to do with the discussion but omg your profile pic is so disturbing
Oct 12, 2020 3:00 PM

May 2018
And I wonder why here they used "наколка" instead of "татуировка".
Oct 12, 2020 9:22 PM

Sep 2020
RoganDeBoss said:

Okay so this has nothing to do with the discussion but omg your profile pic is so disturbing

Thank you my dear, glad to know my profile pic did its job 👍

Oct 15, 2020 10:47 PM
Jan 2020
It's very bad. As a half Russian ,I can barely understand what they're saying. Out of all the characters , Tsukishima is the most recent sounding one (which is pretty ironic).
Oct 15, 2020 11:56 PM

Jan 2019
Lev1athan said:
Watame said:

Тут не самый худший пример использования русского языка, но и до среднего уровне не дотягивает.
This is not the worst example of the use of the Russian language, but it does not reach the average level either (this is the translation of the sentence before).

In Great Pretender the creators called in other actors to speak in Chinese and English, and the sound is good there. Of course, it turned out ideal with Klara in Girls and Panzer.
I agree. I heard the French in Great Pretender and was like “woah I can actually understand it”
Oct 23, 2020 3:48 PM
Aug 2017
Dohn_Jow said:

It isn't easy to hire Russian voice actors like you said. You need to remember that there is a pandemic going on and a storm hit Japan. International flights are restricted. A lot of anime have to be put into hiatus because of that. Even One Piece has to take a hiatus a few months ago. There is no way for a Russian voice actor to record the voice lines with good quality since something recorded with different equipment won't be consistent with other voices in the anime.
Oct 24, 2020 11:48 AM
Apr 2010
Himawari9 said:

It isn't easy to hire Russian voice actors like you said. You need to remember that there is a pandemic going on and a storm hit Japan. International flights are restricted. A lot of anime have to be put into hiatus because of that. Even One Piece has to take a hiatus a few months ago. There is no way for a Russian voice actor to record the voice lines with good quality since something recorded with different equipment won't be consistent with other voices in the anime.

You'd be surprised, but there are russians who live in Japan. Actually, the manga's author never went to Russia to find his russian translator. I highly doubt that they couldn't have found someone to pronounce those few lines that are in anime.
Nov 22, 2020 1:24 PM

Dec 2015
Text is okay, the pronunciation is awful but who cares literally.
Nov 26, 2020 6:14 AM
Dec 2019
Dohn_Jow said:
Himawari9 said:

You'd be surprised, but there are russians who live in Japan. Actually, the manga's author never went to Russia to find his russian translator. I highly doubt that they couldn't have found someone to pronounce those few lines that are in anime.

There are a bunch of lines spoken by a lot of different characters. They'd have to hire at least two or three people to make all the lines not obviously just be the same person. They'd have to put resources into finding people, they'd need someone on staff qualified to assess the Russian of the hires, and then whatever the recording schedule is like they might need them for an extended period of time. All for what? So maybe a dozen nerds on the internet won't go "heheheh...their Russian sucks." Literally no media production company on Earth would bother.

Text is super easy. You'd need to find someone you trust to get it right but it's not very hard to just shop it around online and get a translation. Voice work is so much harder because they need to not only say the lines but be at least average voice actors as well.
Nov 29, 2020 1:36 PM

Apr 2016
As it was already mentioned by many, its more of the "engrish" level/kind of pronunciation rather than anything else.
Nov 30, 2020 8:39 AM
Oct 2016
Dohn_Jow said:

Its called being expensive to bring actor's from another country along with the world situation right now. Have some context before you go bashing
Nov 30, 2020 8:58 AM

Apr 2012
alshu said:
And I wonder why here they used "наколка" instead of "татуировка".

that's pretty obvious - word "наколка" is from criminals/prisoners slang while "татуировка" has more general meaning, so the first one is more appropriate here.
To err is human. To purr is feline (c)
Nov 30, 2020 9:07 AM

May 2018
sasahara_n said:
word "наколка" is from criminals/prisoners slang

1. Do you have a source for that? If I am not mistaken tattoos came in Russia kind of late mostly used in the beginning by sailors.
2. The guys in the scene looked more like random peasants and drunkards not exactly ex prisoners. I was wondering if "наколка" was more commonly used by low class workers and peasants...
Nov 30, 2020 9:48 AM

Apr 2012
alshu said:
sasahara_n said:

1. Do you have a source for that? If I am not mistaken tattoos came in Russia kind of late mostly used in the beginning by sailors.
2. The guys in the scene looked more like random peasants and drunkards not exactly ex prisoners. I was wondering if "наколка" was more commonly used by low class workers and peasants...

1. as russian police officer i can say this with all of my confidence.
2. this word is definitely much more used among such people than in some highclass society, it's normal. but still it came from criminal world.
Nov 30, 2020 10:15 AM

May 2018
sasahara_n said:
alshu said:

1. as russian police officer i can say this with all of my confidence.
2. this word is definitely much more used among such people than in some highclass society, it's normal. but still it came from criminal world.

OK, thanks for the info!
So at that place at Sakhalin surprising amount of petty criminals and ex cons.
Nov 30, 2020 10:31 AM

Apr 2012
alshu said:

So at that place at Sakhalin surprising amount of petty criminals and ex cons.

if i'm not mistaken, even in one of the episodes of GK it was mentioned that Sakhalin was initially an ideal place for penal servitude, and it was till ~1905, so it's no wonder that there are so many ex-crims or their descendants and they use much prisoner's jargonisms in their common lives.
Nov 30, 2020 10:44 AM

May 2015
Not so good and I barely can understand what they are saying, only catching separate words occasionally. The words could be phrased better too, like their order or the use in context. Russian is my native language and I finally can relate to people who complain about bad English in anime, because to me English usually just sounds with a slight accent and not so horrible, but Russian sounds... well, not really Russian at all. But it's funny as well, so I don't mind. The parts with Baanyaaa and Veeenik were insanely hilarious.
Dec 7, 2020 9:50 AM
Apr 2010
[quote=LotteGiants message=61230428][quote=Dohn_Jow message=60989394]
Himawari9 said:

All for what?

All to respect the author who did amazing job and hired consultants for both Russian and Ainu language.
alshu said:
sasahara_n said:

Наколка comes from наколоть, to prick, which simply refers to the process of making a tatoo. Most widely used in criminal circles, it is also widespread in the army and the fleet. First russian tatoos indeed come from sailors.
Dec 7, 2020 10:33 AM

May 2018
Dohn_Jow said:

Наколка comes from наколоть, to prick, which simply refers to the process of making a tatoo.

I know what it literally means.
Just was curious why this exact wording...because I am not familiar with the criminal jargon, especially from that period.
My theory was it's more of a "red neck" therm since "татуировка" comes from the french "tatouage" and russian nobles talked in french within their high society circles.
I thought it's more of a social thing, but since it's a criminal therm this has different implications about what was going in that certain scene.
Dec 8, 2020 1:48 AM
Dec 2019
Dohn_Jow said:
All to respect the author who did amazing job and hired consultants for both Russian and Ainu language.

You completely missed the point of my last post. Text translation and voice acting aren't the same thing at all.
Dec 8, 2020 4:54 PM
Feb 2013
I know russian a little and I belive they are not using russian that is being used these days. I think they use some older version/dialect.
Dec 9, 2020 5:45 AM
Dec 2017
Comprehendable 80% of the time, although the pronounciations are almost always off or very noticeably uncanny (I'm native in Russian).

Also some of the words that they choose sometimes stand out like a bad Google translate (mostly when they try to use more advanced forms of grammar / when the context of a scene is too complex for someone not fluent).
Sleep29Dec 9, 2020 5:50 AM
Dec 25, 2020 5:38 AM
Aug 2014
Not perfect but very good lines, sometimes there are even some specific terms and jokes that are only understandable for a native.
Voice acting is at least understandable but the accent is horrible indeed.
Dec 25, 2020 12:06 PM

Jul 2010
Above average for foreign media, levels above the stuff from John Wick and similar movies, for example.

The text is quality, the speech is mostly understandable, although the accent is strong.
Jun 14, 2022 11:36 PM

Jan 2021
This is the exact same question that I have after completing the anime, and as expected from the above answers, it's only average or even bad. Many Japanese anime also have bad German and Chinese spoken, and sometimes the Chinese makes me cringe too.

But an anime can't cater all audience and make the language perfect. So rather than getting angry at bad language speaking, maybe just focus on the content of the anime.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Golden Kamuy 3rd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2020

110 by Karva1 »»
Mar 20, 1:12 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy 3rd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2020

105 by Karva1 »»
Mar 20, 1:08 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy 3rd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2020

61 by Karva1 »»
Mar 19, 5:02 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy 3rd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2020

120 by Karva1 »»
Mar 19, 4:38 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy 3rd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2020

50 by Karva1 »»
Mar 19, 4:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.