Forum Settings
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 22, 2020 5:41 AM
Sep 2020
I started watching Vinland Saga just when the Anime got announced because I heard very good things about it. I think in the beginning it was better. Especially after the whole Baltic War thing. It was the most boring part of the manga and I found it to be a chore just to read it. Furthermore I was extremelly disapointed when the manga skipped Constantinople. Hild is the most stupid character I have ever read or watched lmao. What an OP character for no reason at all. What is she doing up in the mountains with her full auto crossbow, she could have conquered the world if she raised an army with those pieces of shit
Sep 23, 2020 2:27 PM

Dec 2012
sotirismikesaus said:
I started watching Vinland Saga just when the Anime got announced because I heard very good things about it. I think in the beginning it was better. Especially after the whole Baltic War thing. It was the most boring part of the manga and I found it to be a chore just to read it. Furthermore I was extremelly disapointed when the manga skipped Constantinople. Hild is the most stupid character I have ever read or watched lmao. What an OP character for no reason at all. What is she doing up in the mountains with her full auto crossbow, she could have conquered the world if she raised an army with those pieces of shit

Yes, it's different now. The entire first arc was there to build Thorfinn and Canute as characters then later to destroy and rebuild them. To express that change is possible even after they reached the lowest point of their lives.

Constantinople would've been unnecessary. They basically used signs to communicate for months, really not that interesting.

Hild seems OP but she really is not. She is a great hunter but that's a profession, almost anybody can learn how to do that. These days it seems strange but a thousand year ago women were not equal to men. Period. Especially in the army. She might have killed one or two charging enemy but the third would've certainly oneshotted her close range. Killing a single bear at a time is very far from any battlefield experience. The only OP character is Thorkell.
Sep 24, 2020 4:22 AM
Sep 2020
I just read what I said. When i say "I started watching vinland saga just when the anime got announced", I meant to say "I started reading vinland saga just when the anime got announced" lol I havent wathced the anime. Anyway, I think they could just use interpretors in Constantinople and the timespan when the manga takes place is when the Varangian Guard got established so something cool could have happened in the manga like Thorfinn saving the Emperor and he decided to make norsemen his personal bodyguard. But I still think that compared with the older chapters the new ones are very slow . Not much happens and it becomes kinda boring. I hope they pick back up the pace in Vinland
Sep 24, 2020 6:37 AM

Apr 2016
sotirismikesaus said:
Not much happens and it becomes kinda boring. I hope they pick back up the pace in Vinland
Vinland Saga was never meant to be a action only series. The story is moving the direction it is meant to be. Thorfinn is trying to make his father's dream of moving to Vinland come true as peacefully as possible. What's wrong with that? He doesn't have to fight for every single thing, does he? Sure the older chapters were exciting and action packed but that was only because of Thorfinn's nature. And lmao, why Hild has to conquer the world?
And on the side note, did you make this account only to make this post?
Sep 25, 2020 6:19 AM
Sep 2020
Blank_X said:
sotirismikesaus said:
Not much happens and it becomes kinda boring. I hope they pick back up the pace in Vinland
Vinland Saga was never meant to be a action only series. The story is moving the direction it is meant to be. Thorfinn is trying to make his father's dream of moving to Vinland come true as peacefully as possible. What's wrong with that? He doesn't have to fight for every single thing, does he? Sure the older chapters were exciting and action packed but that was only because of Thorfinn's nature. And lmao, why Hild has to conquer the world?

Everything is slow now or so it seems to me, even the preparations for the journey. Furthermore I didn't say she has to conquer the world, I only said that she could if she had an army of those crossbows. And finally no I didn't make the account just to post, I thought this site was just to keep track of the anime you watch but I was pleasantly surprised
Sep 25, 2020 6:26 AM

Apr 2016
sotirismikesaus said:
Blank_X said:

Everything is slow now or so it seems to me, even the preparations for the journey. Furthermore I didn't say she has to conquer the world, I only said that she could if she had an army of those crossbows. And finally no I didn't make the account just to post, I thought this site was just to keep track of the anime you watch but I was pleasantly surprised
Well to each his own I guess. I think we'll get to see some action sooner or later, during their journey perhaps. But it won't be like it used to be. And sorry for the assumption, I asked because I've been seeing a lot of people making new accounts only to bash anime and characters, somehow they don't like doing it openly from their original accounts. Enjoy your stay here!
Sep 28, 2020 7:03 AM
Aug 2020
sotirismikesaus said:
Blank_X said:

honestly, it has only been boring after the baltic sea war but the farmland arc was just too good and that's probably making the next arcs worse than they actually are
Sep 29, 2020 11:18 AM
Mar 2016
There’s been a lot of talk about how the pacing has or has not died with the Baltic War arc which I think ultimately comes down to personal taste. If you aren’t sure how you feel about it, then give it another read without having the monthly waits in between. If you’ve already done this, your opinion probably isn’t going to change. As for me, I think the manga lost quite a bit of steam because it’s effectively a continuing plot for a concluded story. Regarding the tangible plot, Thorfinn still has yet to complete his journey. He needs to make good on his father’s dream and set sail for vinland. However, when it comes to the intangible story, I feel as though most of it ended with the farm arc. I guess I should preface this by saying that I consider the manga’s story to boil down to Thorfinn’s story. Despite there being a wider world out there with other characters pursuing their own individual paths, I don’t really get the feeling that they’re too consequential. Vinland Saga isn’t exactly a Game of Thrones with countless moving parts across a vast network of actors. There are a couple side characters who I wouldn’t mind revisiting such as Canute but considering the current trajectory of how everything’s been going, it’s been made pretty clear that they aren’t the main focus. Thorfinn’s character is the main meat of the story, and his arc has kind of flatlined. He’s gone pacifist, and don’t get me wrong, I definitely feel as though this is progress when it comes to character development. I agree that Vinland Saga is more than just action and spectacle. My gripe stems from the fact that if I view the story of Vinland Saga as being one and the same as the character arc of Thorfinn, then the story is basically over because Thorfinn’s arc is over. He’s learned what his father wanted him to learn, and everything else is fluff because settling Vinland is plot-related progression not story. There’s not really any conflict left to build tension and excitement. Every once in a while, Thorfinn gets caught in a dilemma that pressures him to go back to his stabby ways, as in the case of Garm, but it never really pans out. Personally, I’ve lost any sense of danger because I’m never convinced that Thorfinn will break. No matter how bad or unbeatable the situation gets, he manages to get himself and the gang out of it somehow. Even now, the only foreshadowing of looming conflict is more of the same thing with some of the settlers not being too on board with Thorfinn enforcing the pacifist route. So, I’m sitting here with no character development and no conflict, and I have a hard time arguing against people that espouse Vinland Saga has passed its peak.

That being said, I don’t disqualify it from having any sort of renaissance. Sure, Thorfinn & Co. are headed to what’s supposed to be the endgame, but there’s no news of the manga coming to a close. Yukimura could opt to introduce a new conflict along the way as he sees fit. Nonetheless, I remind you that I consider Thorfinn’s journey to be the core essence of the overall story, so anything new has to somehow affect him. My take on it is to just break Thorfinn. Like I’ve already said, there’s a distinct lack of tension because there’s no real sense of danger when it comes to Thorfinn going back on his pact of nonviolence. As such, just throw him into another inescapable dilemma. Instead of having him come out the other end with that derpy “wow that was unpleasant” face, have him straight up lose. Erase all of the progress he’s made, and force him as a character to build himself back up from the foundation. Again, this isn’t to see Thorfinn devolve into a rage-fueled slaughter machine but rather to delve back into the character study that Vinland Saga is. How will Thorfinn cope with the fact that he essentially betrayed the trust of everyone who has come to love him and stained the legacy of his father? What is he willing to do to redeem himself all over again? It doesn’t necessarily have to be this exact scenario, but these are the types of conflict I want to see kickstarting the story of Vinland Saga back into high gear. In the immortal words of Bennet Foddy, "There's no feeling more intense than starting over.”
Sep 29, 2020 2:18 PM

Sep 2017
Nah man just finished it, it was great
خ

More topics from this board

» vinland saga manga is ending soon

deg - Apr 13

7 by deg »»
Apr 24, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 191 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BigPPFumiya - Feb 25, 2022

74 by jgreene »»
Apr 18, 9:12 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 209 Discussion

ryzxgum - Feb 23

22 by TheMangaManiac »»
Apr 15, 4:41 PM

» Some great music to listen to while reading?

Ghoultulhu - Aug 26, 2015

8 by enigmasauce »»
Apr 5, 8:10 AM

» vinland saga 210 release date?

CRG - Apr 2

1 by deg »»
Apr 2, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.