Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 25, 2020 4:20 PM
Dec 2019
I finished the first season and stopped in the middle of second season. First of all, I don't understand the philosophies of Yukino and Hachiman. They don't talk clearly and make their ideas difficult to understand. Their relationship is the same way. Their indirectness towards each other confuses the hell out of me. It is the first time when I watch an anime and I am so confused. Am I the only one?
Apr 25, 2020 9:20 PM
Dec 2017
evil_communist said:
I finished the first season and stopped in the middle of second season. First of all, I don't understand the philosophies of Yukino and Hachiman. They don't talk clearly and make their ideas difficult to understand. Their relationship is the same way. Their indirectness towards each other confuses the hell out of me. It is the first time when I watch an anime and I am so confused. Am I the only one?

I’m on my 4th rewatch and I still don’t understand some things đź’€ but yea you gotta really Pat attention to the dialogue in this show to understand some of the characters feelings
Apr 25, 2020 9:33 PM

Aug 2018
yeah it's a pretty confusing show. Apparently a lot of detail from the LN is left out of the anime adaptation which doesn't help but even readers of the novel have trouble understanding what's going on. You might want to check out this page dedicated to Oregairu analysis:

https://yaharibento.wordpress.com/category/oregairu-analysis/

I wasted a couple hours on that site a while back and now I think I understand things a little better.
Apr 25, 2020 9:38 PM

Jul 2017
Nah, this series is just 2deep4us. It's basically a PhD in Philosophy and Sociology.

Apr 30, 2020 3:12 PM
Nov 2019
This is like my 4th time watching it & I just now understand everything. It’s hard to follow their thinking if u don’t pay attention to all the details
Apr 30, 2020 4:29 PM

Sep 2014
I watched it raw so I thought it was because of that that I found it a bit confusing. Now I think about it, I'm pretty sure it's feel's poker face character design and episode direction that is inferior compared to the first season. The first season was perfect.
May 1, 2020 2:13 AM

Aug 2018
It is pretty confusing tho all things considered. Teenagers amirite? I think this is one of those anime you gotta watch more than once to interpret in hindsight, and with the ways others interpreted it too. Even though I particularly enjoyed 2 more than 1, I had to definitely try to figure out a lot of what the hell I just watched in its second half more than ever. You can easily get lost in the dialogue and subtle emotions of the characters.
May 2, 2020 6:20 PM
Mar 2017
Basically the central theme of the show is to find something genuine and step away from the facade. You may ask-what does something genuine mean? From my own interpretation, it means to stay true to yourself and be willing to show that to those you loved, even if that real side of you may destroy your relationship. This doesn't necessarily just mean to always speak the truth, but also means to expose everything about you. The main conflict is for all the characters, and yes I mean all the character which include hayama's group, to truly establish a genuine and deep relationship where people won't have to hide who they are. I think a better way to understand this is to have personal experience. For example, have you ever pretend that you like something simply because your friend likes them? When people are not genuine, their relationship is destined to not gonna last long because eventually all facade would be broken. SOrry if this is long , but i hope this clears up something about the show for u
May 4, 2020 8:20 AM

Aug 2015
It's actually quite understandable for me. It takes a lot of reading between the lines and knowing the real intentions of the characters' dialogues and actions. Like for example, Yui putting up a front in their club room to alleviate the awkward atmosphere after their field trip incident, Hayama being uncooperative with Tobe's plan of confessing to Ebina to show disapproval (but Tobe seems to be dense and doesn't get a wind of this), Iroha acting gloomy at times, after being the student council president, despite being energetic in most of her screen time, etc.

This anime is as indirect as it could get, just like how real people are. It's intended to be indirect, that's why this series has portrayed society so well.
May 14, 2020 4:47 AM
Sep 2013
Go fu*king read the LN, no just kidding. If u wanna understand it better then read the LN carefully. There are many monologs that cant be convey through anime. I also find it difficult to understand the anime, so I read LN and I became love the story, everything just well-written
May 14, 2020 1:12 PM

Jul 2019
You're not alone, dude.
Just finish the second season and if u enjoy the show but still don't understand what's going on, try re-watch it.
Jun 2, 2020 1:47 PM

Apr 2019
evil_communist said:

yeah the second season is confusing af, and they spend half the season trying to do some dumb project with Iroha. Dropped in quality a ton.

Jun 2, 2020 3:06 PM
Feb 2019
I read one really good analysis by a random comment on gogoanime. None of it is mine and I don't want any credit for this deep thinking. This helped me understand. The users name is herodabes

For Those Who Said "WTF JUST HAPPENED?" (This anime is too deep, too, too deep)
=========================================================================

Yui herself finds the resolve to make a decision: giving up on Hachiman for Yukino’s sake. To do this she asks both Yukino and Hachiman out on a date. Yui’s ultimate goal for this “date” is to force Yukino to confront her feelings for Hachiman, by pressuring her with the indirect admittance of her own feelings. For the happiness of her two best friends in the world, she’s actually willing to throw her own feelings away. In the last scene, she puts her own feelings out in the open by giving Hachiman her Valentine’s Day cookies, which is essentially a challenge to Yukino by indirectly saying "now it's your turn," to confront her own feelings right then and there. Yui was already prepared to have her heart broken, and would have probably backed out if Yukino had openly admitted her feelings at that moment. Yui forced Yukino to make a move, and now the question becomes: Are you okay with not announcing your feelings? But because Yukino cherishes the group as it is right now, she is unable to make a move and is content with things the way they are; to continue wearing a mask and not being true to her own feelings. And because Yukino cares about Yui too much, she once again was hesitant to give Hachiman her chocolate, ultimately declining Yui's challenge, and
was already willing to accept what Yui had for her.
"I wouldn't mind th-" (Yukino before she was cut off by Hachiman).
Again, Yukino is relying on others for help, to just accept Yuigahama's request regardless of what the outcome would be. And of course, Hachiman steps in.

Yui's plan is never revealed to us, as it's up for the viewer's interpretation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If I win, I'll take everything. I know it's unfair." (Yuigahama). On the surface, this may sound as if Yui was going to take Hachiman, and Yukino was ready to give in, but her intentions most likely were different as Yui is always the one that is looking out for the group. It could be interpreted as Yui playing dirty by lying to herself, by hiding her feelings from the group. Yui's intent all along was to be rejected, so that they can all carry on; especially not to take advantage of Yukino. Because Yui knows that she probably can't compete with Yukino, but still spills her feelings, willing to take a blow for her. (Yui's suffering; the feelssssss) =[

So what did Yuigahama want?
1) The cookie was a goodbye. She wants Yukino to admit her feelings and also still maintain her friendship.
2) The cookie was a thanks. She wants their friendship to remain forever running in circles like the Ferris Wheel. "Honestly, it's fine even if it's a lie." (Yuigahama episode preview)
3) The cookie was a confession. She wants to compete with Yukino for Hachiman's affection while maintaining her friendship.

It's a combination! That's why she said she "wants it all". She wants to have a friendship with Yukino and Hachiman, she wants it to continue running in circles, but she also wants to get Hachiman's affection. At the same time, she realizes that Yukino also likes Hachiman, and wants her to admit her feelings as well... It's crazy and conflicting, but that is just how life is.
Jul 13, 2021 4:18 PM

Oct 2013
Kids talk about feelings in very roundabout ways because they don't understand their emotions very well.

The show is frustratingly melodramatic over meaningless problems, but that's kind of what adolescence is about.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2015

1002 by venbals »»
Mar 29, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2015

556 by venbals »»
Mar 29, 1:08 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 21, 2015

667 by venbals »»
Mar 16, 10:16 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 7, 2015

421 by venbals »»
Mar 16, 9:12 PM

» Help me understand the whole drama ( 1 2 )

GuidSMR - Apr 4, 2023

65 by NaughtySempai »»
Feb 26, 8:34 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.