Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 25, 2020 1:30 AM
Nov 2017
I think this is an interesting question...

Okabe was the only one having memories each time he time traveled, so he was the only one who could alter the future. The rest of the cast couldn't remember anything from the previous timelines Okabe traveled from.

So, every time Okabe left from a timeline to find a new one, he actually left everyone behind, so that he could find a better one. But that was only for himself, as everoyne else left behind would still be living in a messed-up timeline.

So, could we call his time traveling actually being an selfish act, so he can find for himself a timeline that he lives with everyone else the way he wants?

(Don't get me wrong, I love the series and I love Okabe. He had been through soe really bad times during the show. This is just a thought I had recently)
Apr 25, 2020 1:34 AM

Aug 2018
I don't see how any of it was motivated by his own personal gain. Pretty much the opposite really. But yeah it's been a while since I watched it so maybe I'm remembering it wrong...
Apr 25, 2020 1:59 AM

Jul 2017
The man had to protect his harem at any cost. Leave him alone.

Apr 25, 2020 2:02 AM

Apr 2019
Nope. Kyouma Hououin did nothing wrong.
Apr 25, 2020 2:26 AM
Nov 2017
No, of course I am not saying that he did something wrong or that he gained anything really out of it. He didn't have anything else in his mind except that all of his friends to be safe again.

But, everythime he left a timeline, he would leave behind those friends in that timeline, that had no other choice than keep living there, with all the consequences, as he moved on to the next one, until he would find a timeline that would end well (for him and all his friends). All the previous timelines though were not erased (I guess) so his friends that he left behind each time would continue to live with sorrow in their timeline.

I'n not saying that he was selfish, but maybe the essence of his time traveling was actually selfish, as he was the only one who could remember everything.
Apr 25, 2020 2:45 AM

Apr 2011
Time traveling is always selfish. The risks will never outweigh the rewards. That's the rule I live by.
Apr 25, 2020 2:53 AM

Apr 2017
Thread moved into the correct board.

That's an interesting question. I can kinda see where you are coming from. Nonetheless I don't think it was selfish per se. He didn't have ability to take them all after all. I think he would have if he could. But with the means at his disposal he did what he could to find the "correct" timeline, suffering negative consequences as a result. So from that perspective it was hardly a selfish action. His motivation also wasn't selfish since he tried to reach the "correct" timeline for other's sake as well. But there certainly is a perspective from which it could be perceived as such.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Apr 25, 2020 6:12 AM

May 2016
Only 1 worldline exists at a given time. The worldlines which he left behind ceased to exist when he left them behind. There are no multiple worldlines at the same time, so there are no multiple version of people who are still suffering on another worldline. There are no parallel worldlines in Steins;Gate.

So no, he wasn't selfish. At the end, he saved Kurisu, Mayuri, and the world too.
-
Apr 25, 2020 6:34 AM

Jun 2012
Like the guy said above me, it was explained in the vn in details that there's no such thing as more than one timeline. Reading Steiner is more like the key to make any timeline Okabe is in, will be the only active universe. I'm sure the anime explained that too but not in an intricate minutia.

But your theory actually applies to Subaru from Re:zero.... I'm not gonna bother spoiling.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - Apr 19, 2011

260 by OmBerry12_Bleach »»
Apr 24, 11:01 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

805 by Nemesis133 »»
Apr 24, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

saxophone15 - Apr 26, 2011

241 by GatchiShoppo »»
Apr 20, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Apr 17, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.