Forum Settings
Forums

Why did the Seinen demographic change so much?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 12, 2019 5:36 AM

May 2018
GroovySensei said:
hes a child thrown into adult situations and having to kill in order to survive.

Survives in not so much realistic ways but whatever...
My point is that "old school seinen" is not having a comeback just the anime industry is looking for some strong old bands and already have relaunched/revived stuff like Dororo,Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu, Fruits Basket, Cardcaptor Sakura, Saint Seiya, Karakuri Circus ect.

The same happens with games - Resident Evil 2, FF IIV...the recent announce of Resident Evil 3 remake ect.
Dec 13, 2019 12:50 AM
Jul 2018
Ichigo56 said:
From what I have seen, it might have to do with the way things are right now in the political sphere. Most artists, unfortunately, are getting backlash for any sexy drawings and anything that might have to do with gore. This could be seen with the controversy surrounding demon slayer and most of the more hard themed novels and mangas. Honestly, I don't mind anything, I just want a story that while it pushes the boundaries it is able to give you that good feeling. Also, it could be because that is what has been selling the most in recent times.

Since when was there a controversy about Kimetsu no Yaiba? I can't imagine that happening in Japan.
Dec 13, 2019 1:18 PM
Jul 2018
AkaneManiac said:
Ok, fellas, time for some real talk here!

When did the demographic that was known for extreme violence and sexual content turn into exclusively cute girls doing cute things, and why do you think that happened? Which one do you prefer? Was it a good thing?

I'm genuinely curious about this topic!

Because men have become beta and emasculated as fuck.

Viltas said:
Because cute girls are ultimately what you end up with as a veteran. You will have that inspirational phase where you barge through classics only to find out that half of them are overrated as hell and then you see all these other shows that weren't even that good but.. you enjoyed them more? So you stick with the cutesies because they give you happiness and a real sense of time well spent.

THAT is the casuals train of thought now that we have satisfied them lets hit you with the truth: Dumbbell is the only quality show that came out recently aside from Vinland that can be enjoyed by REAL MEN ONEGAI MUSCLE

The cuteness makes me want to blow my brains out. Cute girls are only good in hentai. Elsewhere I want them to shut up
Dec 13, 2019 4:32 PM
Jul 2019
Nostalgik said:
Breadwinnerr said:
Not adding anything to the topic💩 but could some of you give me some Seinen anime recommendations, I’m in a drought. Something that focuses on largely mature themes - I really like anime like that.
(Kenpuu Denki) Berserk, Vinland Saga, Monster, Rainbow, Houseki no Kuni.

Also, I suggest you start using the rating scale's numbers below 7

Bardees said:
Some great seinen anime
Monster
Fate zero
Vinland saga
3 gatsu no lion
Rainbow
Kaiji
While mature, Fate isn't a seinen.

But if it's not to recommend only seinen, I'd have to put Kaiba in my recommendations

Mod edit: Merged double post. Please use the edit button.

I think Fate must be Seinen, especially because the plot. It is similar to Vinland Saga and not nonsense edge show like much other anime.
Dec 13, 2019 4:42 PM

Oct 2015
Gwenze said:
Nostalgik said:
(Kenpuu Denki) Berserk, Vinland Saga, Monster, Rainbow, Houseki no Kuni.

Also, I suggest you start using the rating scale's numbers below 7

While mature, Fate isn't a seinen.

But if it's not to recommend only seinen, I'd have to put Kaiba in my recommendations

Mod edit: Merged double post. Please use the edit button.

I think Fate must be Seinen, especially because the plot. It is similar to Vinland Saga and not nonsense edge show like much other anime.
There are no opinions in this subject, if it's published in a seinen magazine, it's a seinen. Unless you consider every R-rated anime a "seinen" since they are for ages of 17+, and even then those aren't targeted specifically to a male audience
Dec 13, 2019 5:21 PM

Nov 2008
People growing soft as in they don't like their favorite characters dying, it's one reason why hyperviolent anime no longer sell in Japan. As for sexual anime, I think you are missing the new trend of seasonal hentai.

Dec 13, 2019 9:42 PM
May 2015
Lorescothe said:
Ichigo56 said:
From what I have seen, it might have to do with the way things are right now in the political sphere. Most artists, unfortunately, are getting backlash for any sexy drawings and anything that might have to do with gore. This could be seen with the controversy surrounding demon slayer and most of the more hard themed novels and mangas. Honestly, I don't mind anything, I just want a story that while it pushes the boundaries it is able to give you that good feeling. Also, it could be because that is what has been selling the most in recent times.

Since when was there a controversy about Kimetsu no Yaiba? I can't imagine that happening in Japan.

Meant to say Goblin Slayer and also they are some Japanese artists who are drawing adult nezuko lewd but they were being targeted by sjws to the point where some have left twitter or have closed down their patreons.
Dec 14, 2019 5:39 PM
Jul 2018
Ichigo56 said:
Lorescothe said:

Meant to say Goblin Slayer and also they are some Japanese artists who are drawing adult nezuko lewd but they were being targeted by sjws to the point where some have left twitter or have closed down their patreons.

Really? Damn pity they're giving into western pressure. I hope the mangaka of Kimetsu no Yaiba has the balls to lewd her in the actual manga, send all those whiny losers packing.
But yeah that Goblin Slayer controversy was pretty hilarious. People seem to forget that fantasy comic magazines from the west in the 80s were absolutely full of monster rape and gruesome shit.
Mar 26, 2020 4:05 PM
Mar 2020
removed-user said:
Ok, fellas, time for some real talk here!

When did the demographic that was known for extreme violence and sexual content turn into exclusively cute girls doing cute things, and why do you think that happened? Which one do you prefer? Was it a good thing?

I'm genuinely curious about this topic!

These were all good examples

Sakura Trick
Kiniro Mosaic
Non Non Biyori
Urara Meirochou
K-On!
Slow Start
Yuyushiki
Sansha Sanyou
Hidamari Sketch
A-Channel
Machikado Mazoku
New Game
Anima Yell
Koisuru Asteroid

I would add Our Maid is So Annoying!
Didnt I say to make my abilities Average in the Next Life?!
Miss Vampire Who Lives In my Neighborhood
Lucky Star
Acchi Kocchi
Blend S
Himouto-Umaru-chan
Ichigo Mashimaro
Laid Back Camp
Is the Order a rabbit?

I know a lot of weebs are going to be enraged and call me an sjw and shit but it's worth pointing this stuff out

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Yuri_Hime_S

This magazine made Wataten! An Angel Flew Down to me. And the studio who worked on Wataten! DOGA KOBO is the same one behind shows like New Game and Our maid is so annoying!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uchi_no_Maid_ga_Uzasugiru!

All of these anime/manga if not most feature some sort of moe cute young girl or multiple lolis with onsen scenes, beach trips, fan service such as panty shots or lolis groping or sexually harassing each other, etc and of course all the body pillows of underage lolis exist too. In fact two of them are specifically about adults lusting after young girls or at least feeling openly romantic toward children. Jokes about lolicons and so forth are rampant

Call me an sjw if you want. This shit is weird. Seinen is not just anime like Monster it's not all dark or gory and a lot of it fits this moe Loli description especially if you look at Comic Yuri Hime S which specifically says its geared toward young adult men and has moe aesthetic in the wikipedia

As a woman I find some things like Asteroid in Love to be more on the innocent side but considering the demographic is supposed to be young adult males this transition to cute girls doing cute things is a bit concerning especially when it comes to series with little sister moe etc

I've been on the internet long enough to know that a lot of these otaku be lewdin the lolis

lol even on some ova called Yumekuri first comment on kissanime.ru is some dude complaining that the white haired loli in the cover photo isnt their and the seinen isnt "ecchi" enough
AntifaCuckeesianMar 27, 2020 7:00 AM
Mar 26, 2020 4:33 PM

Oct 2008
I prefer my "extreme violence and sexual content". But I never thought it was easy to find them.

I mean I only saw the "17+ violence and profanity" tag in 2016 and figured that even if those are there it still doesn't mean I will necessarily get a series with mature content.

All it takes to find seinen series (with the content you specifically want) is to watch a lot of anime throughout the year.
Mar 26, 2020 4:49 PM
Oct 2012
Seinen is a meaningless term these days, when shows like Shingeki no Kyojin and The Promised Neverland are rated Shounen for God knows what reason
Demographic labels are bullshit
Mar 27, 2020 1:14 AM

Nov 2017
Takuto_Shindou said:
Seinen is a meaningless term these days, when shows like Shingeki no Kyojin and The Promised Neverland are rated Shounen for God knows what reason
The manga they were based on was published in shounen magazines. That's the reason they're labeled shounen. If they were published in a seinen magazine they would have been seinen and if they hadn't been based on any manga at all they likely wouldn't have had any demographic labels attached to them.
Mar 27, 2020 1:37 AM

Oct 2017
Takuto_Shindou said:

Despite some higher graphic content than expected AOT did really appeal to the YA audience same thing with Neverland. Audiences like that enjoy the idea of dealing with oppressive settings and overcoming them. CGDCT anime/manga are popular with seinen audiences as they often are good stress relievers. I never really appreciated them until I got graduated HS.So that isn't surprising though yeah seinen isn't dominated by CGDCT there is still a lot of what it was known for out there.

Though in general content and everyone's subjective view of maturity doesn't really matter. TItles get published in areas editors think will likely gain traction or an audience.
BilboBaggins365Mar 27, 2020 1:40 AM
Mar 27, 2020 2:16 AM

Jan 2020
mhkr said:
Because Japan realized that adult content is not mature...

Truth, it all comes down to the themes the anime is using.
My youtube channel about music and anime :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_rrNoYApg1VQ-PIT7jZ37Q
Mar 27, 2020 5:30 AM
Mar 2020
Takuto_Shindou said:
Again as I previously stated and if you google this phenomena there is a general consensus: Seinen does not = "mature content" or "blood and gore" or "edgy violence and traumatic shit" all it means is it was published in a seinen magazine such as Comic Yuri Hime S or Manga Time Kirara Carat (which both happen to be filled to the brim with moe seinen manga) and that it is designed to appeal to young adult men. Why they are pushing this Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Manga with plenty of fan service featuring girls aged 5-5000 (the she looks 10 but is really a 650 year old vampire or thousands of years old dragon loli trope) eludes me (OniAi, Our Maid is So Annoying!, Acchi Kocchi, Blend S, Himouto-Umaru-chan, Ichigo Mashimaro, Laid Back Camp, Is the Order a rabbit? Kiniro Mosaic, New Game!, Non Non Biyori)

TolkienFan365 said:

Despite some higher graphic content than expected AOT did really appeal to the YA audience same thing with Neverland. Audiences like that enjoy the idea of dealing with oppressive settings and overcoming them. CGDCT anime/manga are popular with seinen audiences as they often are good stress relievers. I never really appreciated them until I got graduated HS.

Shonen demographic audiences and seinen demographic audiences both need stress relievers. In fact I can't think of a single demographic that doesn't need stress relief in their anime/manga. That's kind of what the medium is for as a whole. One doesn't graduate from high schoool and suddenly need stress relief so they get into some Blend S or Slow Start

Also, it goes without saying that a lot of this CGDCT manga/anime has a fair amount of overlap between the shonen and seinen categories.

Shonen: Aiura, Ao-Chan cant study!, Gabriel DropOut, Kiss X Sis, Mitsuboshi Colors, My Sister, My writer, Eromanga Sensei, Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star
Seinen: OniAi, Our Maid is So Annoying!, Acchi Kocchi, Blend S, Himouto-Umaru-chan, Ichigo Mashimaro, Laid Back Camp, Is the Order a rabbit? Kiniro Mosaic, New Game!, Non Non Biyori

The one contrast is that in shonen manga in general, there tends to be a lot more action and hero fantasy. In CGDCT seinen you get a lot more slice of life, comedy, and school based stories. Even though this demographic is thought to be leaving a high school setting, a lot of these moe shows feature high school aged girls...
The difference is moreso that you have SOME CGDCT moe loli stuff in shonen, but even MORE of it in seinen

What I'm confused about is why it's being marketed to either demographic. Young boys/young men. For either of those groups to be the target audience for moe lolis doing cute things is a bit suspect. But then again I'm not sure what demographic any of this little sister moe/harem loli should be marketed to if any. It's pretty odd that it exists at all. Uchi no Maid ga Uzasugiru! for example is seinen that's specifically about a grown ass woman who wants to molest/is lusting after "young prepubescent girls" and constantly talks about how she preys girls who havent had their period yet.
AntifaCuckeesianMar 27, 2020 8:27 AM
Mar 27, 2020 8:40 AM

Sep 2018
Extreme violence and sexual content sounds like something teenage boys(aka the shonen demographic) would prefer to make themselves feel mature. Of course seinen shows can have those as well, but it's not violence and sex that make a seinen a seinen. Never has been.
Mar 27, 2020 1:26 PM

Oct 2017
AntifaCuckeesian said:

TolkienFan365 said:

Despite some higher graphic content than expected AOT did really appeal to the YA audience same thing with Neverland. Audiences like that enjoy the idea of dealing with oppressive settings and overcoming them. CGDCT anime/manga are popular with seinen audiences as they often are good stress relievers. I never really appreciated them until I got graduated HS.

Shonen demographic audiences and seinen demographic audiences both need stress relievers. In fact I can't think of a single demographic that doesn't need stress relief in their anime/manga. That's kind of what the medium is for as a whole. One doesn't graduate from high schoool and suddenly need stress relief so they get into some Blend S or Slow Start

Also, it goes without saying that a lot of this CGDCT manga/anime has a fair amount of overlap between the shonen and seinen categories.

Shonen: Aiura, Ao-Chan cant study!, Gabriel DropOut, Kiss X Sis, Mitsuboshi Colors, My Sister, My writer, Eromanga Sensei, Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star
Seinen: OniAi, Our Maid is So Annoying!, Acchi Kocchi, Blend S, Himouto-Umaru-chan, Ichigo Mashimaro, Laid Back Camp, Is the Order a rabbit? Kiniro Mosaic, New Game!, Non Non Biyori

The one contrast is that in shonen manga in general, there tends to be a lot more action and hero fantasy. In CGDCT seinen you get a lot more slice of life, comedy, and school based stories. Even though this demographic is thought to be leaving a high school setting, a lot of these moe shows feature high school aged girls...
The difference is moreso that you have SOME CGDCT moe loli stuff in shonen, but even MORE of it in seinen

What I'm confused about is why it's being marketed to either demographic. Young boys/young men. For either of those groups to be the target audience for moe lolis doing cute things is a bit suspect. But then again I'm not sure what demographic any of this little sister moe/harem loli should be marketed to if any. It's pretty odd that it exists at all. Uchi no Maid ga Uzasugiru! for example is seinen that's specifically about a grown ass woman who wants to molest/is lusting after "young prepubescent girls" and constantly talks about how she preys girls who havent had their period yet.

The appeal is different because especially in Japan our life gets more hectic you start looking for shows that have a more quiet and laid back appeal. I guess I probably should say less CGDCT and more Iyashikei which do tend to be aimed in larger quantities at older markets. This is all a generalization though but I would argue the kinds of CGDCT that focus on a more down tempoed nature are way more common in seinen magazines and in general are more common. Yuru Camp and Girls Last Tour do appeal to that need of a very laidback story.

Plus some of those you listed I wouldn't argue actually are CGDCT like Kiss x Sis or Eromanga which are just ecchi. If you count those as CGDCT you could argue anything with a female dominated cast that is SOL is CGDCT and I wouldn't agree. You are getting way off topic by talking about again another anime that isn't CGDCT. As for why it's marketed to them sense of innocence often adds to that feeling of relaxation. What market should it be advertised to then if you don't feel that is correct?
BilboBaggins365Mar 27, 2020 1:31 PM
Mar 27, 2020 2:19 PM

May 2018
"Why did the Seinen demographic change so much?"

I finally figured it out!
It's actually a natural thing, it's is becoming roujin demographic.
Mar 27, 2020 2:25 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
seinen/shounen/shoujo/josei almost doesn't mean shit nowadays.

It just means that they were in a magazine categorized as such and if it happens that a manga feels more shounen ends up in a Josei magazine for example, well it's a Josei. That's it.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 27, 2020 3:42 PM

Dec 2017
Kingdom is the most popular seinen manga in Japan at the moment I think and it deals with war and politics in a historic setting. So it's definitely not all cute girls.

The main character has shounenlike tendencies but at it's core it's a series about political maneuvers and generals with personalities bigger than the armies they lead.
In comparison Kingdom's anime adaptation didn't make any waves I think, so despite high sales it seems Kingdom reaches a different audience that isn't so interested in anime.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

10 by Theo1899 »»
5 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Apr 25

10 by Zarutaku »»
15 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 )

Catalano - Apr 25

51 by luckyrune »»
24 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

22 by Spunkert »»
32 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

27 by Prupel1 »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.