Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 27, 2019 11:12 AM

Sep 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Not gonna lie, I did not like G nearly as much as the first manga. The new Getter machines didn't look nearly as cool as the first series, and I didn't really like the battles as much. Not to mention that they never once took the time to explain anything about who Benkei was. He was literally just there so we could have another fat guy pilot for Getter 3, but without any of the charm that Musashi had.

That said, I think G had a better ending than the first part. Obviously there were still plenty of loose ends to tie up at that point, but this feels like a pretty natural conclusion since there are (currently) no more imminent threats to Earth. That final battle in space was also pretty epic, but I wish we could have seen that awesome organic looking Hyakki mech do more than just self destruct.

I still don't get what's up with the art style changes and who draws which parts, but it was pretty jarring switching back and forth between the two styles multiple times in the last chapter.
Sep 15, 2022 1:03 PM

Apr 2016
MrLegitimacy said:
I still don't get what's up with the art style changes and who draws which parts, but it was pretty jarring switching back and forth between the two styles multiple times in the last chapter.
I know this original post is like 3 years old and that OP knows the answer by know, but for anyone in the future checking this thread curious of the answer, Ken Ishikawa drew both art-styles, it's just that for the Saga re-release he went back and re-drew some of the chapters.
Sep 16, 2022 10:31 PM

Jun 2014
QueenNothing said:
MrLegitimacy said:
I know this original post is like 3 years old and that OP knows the answer by know, but for anyone in the future checking this thread curious of the answer, Ken Ishikawa drew both art-styles, it's just that for the Saga re-release he went back and re-drew some of the chapters.

P much. Go Nagai is credited for being a collaborator and coming up with some of the initial ideas but Ken Ishikawa was always in charge of the manga, both story and art.

I do have another question though. I haven't completed the manga yet but I just finished G chapter 4. Did they ever explain why Ryoma wasn't affected by the Andromeda virus? The kid he ended up saving died but I would've thought the air exposure would've killed him. It seems like the plot's wrapped up unless I jumped the gun and it's explained away in Chapter 5
Sep 18, 2022 2:50 PM

Jun 2014
MrLegitimacy said:
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Not gonna lie, I did not like G nearly as much as the first manga. The new Getter machines didn't look nearly as cool as the first series, and I didn't really like the battles as much. Not to mention that they never once took the time to explain anything about who Benkei was. He was literally just there so we could have another fat guy pilot for Getter 3, but without any of the charm that Musashi had.

That said, I think G had a better ending than the first part. Obviously there were still plenty of loose ends to tie up at that point, but this feels like a pretty natural conclusion since there are (currently) no more imminent threats to Earth. That final battle in space was also pretty epic, but I wish we could have seen that awesome organic looking Hyakki mech do more than just self destruct.

Just finished reading G and arrived with the same conclusions. The series did a good job differentiating conflicts between the party or reutilizing old ideas (Hayato's old crew), but it was missing those personal charged connections they had with Gore. I miss the character stories of part 1, Benkei shows up randomly to be comic relief, and we never got a proper introduction to the new Getter.

Kinda bummed the Hyakki Empire is sticking with the alien retcon instead of demons or oni. Instead they're puppeteered and Uzurah being instrumental in their downfall was less impactful since they were introduced in the final chapter. To make up for flimsy motivations, the story upped the ante- slaves and hostages from a semi successful control of Japan to make the threat more viable.

And overall it was a successful finale, using gravity control as an excuse for a sick space battle beyond our wildest dreams. The part isn't devoid of things to appreciate. I liked the 'why do you fight' speech from Ryoma, his (interrupted) movie date with Michiru, themes of space sickness and fear from the unknown, and deeper emphasis on body horror. I still enjoyed it but it could've been more.

6.5/10 but I'm excited to read the next part

More topics from this board

Poll: » Getter Robo G Chapter 3 Discussion

QueenNothing - Aug 18, 2022

0 by QueenNothing »»
Aug 18, 2022 12:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.